Tennis 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Thiem was there last year. Whats your beef with him?
Nadal doing a Murray light, though not as Severe. Still, he couldve just pulled out...
Thiem is a poor play on hard courts for me and well grass too. He's only made it here because of his clay performances.
PCB vs Thiem today. Their records post USO are something like 1-5 and 2-6 :lol:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Thiem is a poor play on hard courts for me and well grass too. He's only made it here because of his clay performances.
Like Nadal in his early years and other players before him. He clearly deserves to be there. His performance in match 1 was brilliant btw, but I guess you didn't watch it.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Goffin took only 2 after the Nadal win. Wow
Poor sod, seems like his knee is damaged as well. Worst defeat at a masters Cup since Gaudio got double-bagelled by Federer.
Dimitrow looking good, though, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Fed - Baby Fed final.

wr8_utd

Like Nadal in his early years and other players before him. He clearly deserves to be there. His performance in match 1 was brilliant btw, but I guess you didn't watch it.
Nadal was not at all bad as a kid on hard courts really. He even beat Fed in their very first meeting ever (and on a hard) in 05, lost to Fed in 5 sets again at Miami and beat him again on the hards in 06. This was a kid Rafa against peak Roger. I know I'm very critical of the next gen but I just don't rate Thiem at all. Far lower than a Zverev or Dimi.

Bojan11

You shouldn’t really be comparing Thiem to Nadal. Nadal at 24 accomplished nearly everything there was to.

Thiem had a good clay season. I still can’t believe he failed to beat Del Potro at the US open especially as Delpo looked like retiring. Delpo got confidence as Thiem started to get nervous.

wr8_utd

You shouldn’t really be comparing Thiem to Nadal. Nadal at 24 accomplished nearly everything there was to.

Thiem had a good clay season. I still can’t believe he failed to beat Del Potro at the US open especially as Delpo looked like retiring. Delpo got confidence as Thiem started to get nervous.
Theim had a fantastic clay season and just collapsed after that which was rather suprising. Zverev looks the best of the lot right now for me and even he still struggles in the Best of 5.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München

I'm not comparing their careers, I just thought it's ridiculous that Thiem of all players gets the reaction "wtf is he doing at this tournament?" when he was there last year as well. A lot of players qualified because they were very strong on one particular surface in the past without being questioned, like early Nadal or Kuerten, that's what I tried to say.Thiem's in a bad patch of form and I think he overplayed early in the season, but he is a deserved top 10 player.
It just irks me that because of the Big 4 anomaly era anyone who hasn't won multiple slams is considered a bum these days.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Federer is pretty poor off the ground today. His serve is the only thing that keeps him in the match.

Enigma_87

You know who
Cilic totally choked the last game in the 2nd. 4 unforced errors gives Federer the set.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Classic Cilic. Impeccable for an hour, then throws it away. Federer's dodgy today as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Cilic lost 2 service games in a row to hand Federer the break in the decider.

Pity for him I thought he deserved something today.

Giggsy92

With a bit more mental toughness Cilic could easily have gone 3-0 rather than 0-3. Good comeback from Fed today, and those 200 ranking points might prove useful down the line.

MichaelKorleone

Thiem vs Goffin seemed like a pretty poor match overall while watching. Thought the same with Sock vs Zverev as well (Zverev had 7 double faults to Sock's 4 before I gave up in 3rd set). I dunno if I manage to catch only the awful ones :nervous:

Stats - (Thiem had one more double fault after this screenshot)

Thiem started the match with 3-0 lead but lost 12 of the next 14 games.

wr8_utd

Sock and Goffin in a WTF semi final is all you need to know about how 2017 has been :lol:
And ofcourse PCB in a USO semi.

Bojan11

Didn't watch the match, what happened to him? Was the clear favorite from the off.
He was a break up in third after winning the second 6-1. Momentum was with him and he threw it away. He did a few doubles in the last game and then a unforced error to gift Sock the win.

Him and Thiem have a lot of improving to do. I understand if you get nervous vs Federer or Nadal. But against other players they should not. Next year will be tougher for both of them.

Supports
Barcelona
Thiem hit the net like 30 times today!!

He was a break up in third after winning the second 6-1. Momentum was with him and he threw it away. He did a few doubles in the last game and then a unforced error to gift Sock the win.

Him and Thiem have a lot of improving to do. I understand if you get nervous vs Federer or Nadal. But against other players they should not. Next year will be tougher for both of them.
May be as clear underdogs against Fedal, they feel less nervous. But against other players they may feel the pressure to prove that their current world status is deserved and not just because of the injured three. I agree they should learn to be more confident though, especially thiem who is 24.

Zen

Spot on really - as an vague amateur in some sports, I perform better when with or around people lightyears better than me and have exceptional reputations for the amateur circle than when I'm with people of my level - where I have far more chance to win , but just underperform.

Sock and Goffin in a WTF semi final is all you need to know about how 2017 has been :lol:
And ofcourse PCB in a USO semi.
Like the clear omission here.

Rajma

Spot on really - as an vague amateur in some sports, I perform better when with or around people lightyears better than me and have exceptional reputations for the amateur circle than when I'm with people of my level - where I have far more chance to win , but just underperform.
From that I would say you're just a typical game raiser :nono:

Skills

Snitch
With a bit more mental toughness Cilic could easily have gone 3-0 rather than 0-3. Good comeback from Fed today, and those 200 ranking points might prove useful down the line.
Pretty sure none of the points from the finals carry over into the next season.

Zen

.....still ignored big Kev Ando oddly. But obviously it's been a shocker of a year.

Enigma_87

You know who

Cheers, sounds like he choked it up. Credit to Sock tho for sticking there.

saivet

Grigor steamrolling again. The fluctuations this man displays...
Not watching but PCB is in awful form, and quite frankly is a mediocre player. Seems a solid pro, but he has nothing of note about his game. Half decent clay court player is all I can say about him really.

Dimitrov will probably beat Sock comfortably before getting crushed by Federer in the final.

Though I had a look and Dimitrov has a losing 1-3 losing record against Sock, though Dimitrov's only win did come on indoor hard court, albeit in 2014.

The Firestarter

Not watching but PCB is in awful form, and quite frankly is a mediocre player. Seems a solid pro, but he has nothing of note about his game. Half decent clay court player is all I can say about him really.

Dimitrov will probably beat Sock comfortably before getting crushed by Federer in the final.

Though I had a look and Dimitrov has a losing 1-3 losing record against Sock, though Dimitrov's only win did come on indoor hard court, albeit in 2014.
The match with Sock worries me. Quite inconvenient opponent for Grigor. Otherwise, I agree PCB is no Fed, but he is dispatching him in the same fashion as Gofen , accompanied by an ultra high level of confidence.

wr8_utd

He's such an average player really. I know Raoul will come in to probably defend him or something but that one run he had agaisnt ordinary opposition in the USO has pushed him far higher up the rankings than he belongs. Even Anderson, who's rubbish himself, didn't have trouble beating him in the semis.

Zverev was the only one remaining who could bother Fed and he messed it up himself. Goffin and then Dimitrov is a walk in the park for Fed.

Enigma_87

You know who
The match with Sock worries me. Quite inconvenient opponent for Grigor. Otherwise, I agree PCB is no Fed, but he is dispatching him in the same fashion as Gofen , accompanied by an ultra high level of confidence.
Federer dispatched Goffen in the same way weeks ago in Basel. PCB really put a gutless performance today but it was to be expected as both doesn't have the quality indoors to be in the same league with the big guys.

The Firestarter

Federer dispatched Goffen in the same way weeks ago in Basel. PCB really put a gutless performance today but it was to be expected as both doesn't have the quality indoors to be in the same league with the big guys.
Yes but for Fed that is expected. Just wonder if it is another false dawn for Grigor.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Damn them for having Federer play now, I hate watching split screen :(

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Federer keep's bottling when having break point this week.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
He's looking stiff and tired, Dimitrow might just take this title.

Enigma_87

You know who
He's looking stiff and tired, Dimitrow might just take this title.
Think he's not putting much effort in it to be honest. He knows that Goffin can't beat him here.

His ground game is better than earlier this week so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.