Tennis 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Completely random as I've been procrastinating from my interview prep. I submitted my Wimbledon ballot yesterday and was just thinking about potential days I may take off for Wimbledon and/or the World Cup (to watch England games) and I realised the Wimbledon final and World Cup final are on the same day, with Wimbledon at 2pm and the World Cup at 3pm.

Depending on the players/teams involved, that could put me and plenty others in a dilemma. Ah the stresses of life.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
So long term what’s the deal gonna be with these deciding points on deuce? I really don’t like it.

wr8_utd

:'(
Completely random as I've been procrastinating from my interview prep. I submitted my Wimbledon ballot yesterday and was just thinking about potential days I may take off for Wimbledon and/or the World Cup (to watch England games) and I realised the Wimbledon final and World Cup final are on the same day, with Wimbledon at 2pm and the World Cup at 3pm.

Depending on the players/teams involved, that could put me and plenty others in a dilemma. Ah the stresses of life.
Federer will win the final before 3 anyway.

saivet

So long term what’s the deal gonna be with these deciding points on deuce? I really don’t like it.
I'd imagine they'll keep it as it is. Don't think this change makes any sense, from seeing a couple of the Next Gen matches, not convinced by the scoring changes they made.

saivet

Dimitrov takes the first set. Goffin's first seve percentage way too low and he very easily could have taken the set.

Hope Goffin can take the second set.

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
Dimitrov breaks in the final set and 2 games away from winning the WTF

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
Game set and match Dimitrov!

Not been the best of tennis seasons but already looking forward to next year

saivet

Good final end what's been an underwhelming tennis season.

Felt a bit for Goffin there, but do like him as a player, hopefully he can have a good year next year.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Decent final considering the players. Not sure if Dimitrov will really kick on and win a slam from here but at least he's in a much better state than he was at the start of the season.

saivet

Goffin looks like he's about to burst into tears, hope he wins the Davis Cup now with Belgium

The Firestarter

Decent final considering the players. Not sure if Dimitrov will really kick on and win a slam from here but at least he's in a much better state than he was at the start of the season.
He started with a AO semi final. Not too shabby I would say.

saivet

He started the season very well actually. Won Brisbane then made the AO SF where he had a great match with Rafa. He dipped of quickly after that, mind

Ainu

I think it was now or never for Goffin, he's turned into a good player but I can't see him really challenging at a tournament of this magnitude again. Not sure even he himself would've believed he could reach the final here. The disappointment at missing the chance of a lifetime must be heavy right now but he can look back on a great tournament.

shaggy

He started with a AO semi final. Not too shabby I would say.
He started the season very well actually. Won Brisban ethen made the AO SF where he had a great match with Rafa. He dipped of quickly after that, mind
Ah fair enough, I stand corrected. Seemed to remember him having an awful start but must have been after the Aus open.

Giggsy92

Decent match in the end, pretty rubbish tournament overall but good that the most impressive player of the week won it. Bet Dimitrov would have bitten your hand off for Cincinnati and this at the start of the year but can't help but feel it's been a year of missed opportunities for him in the slams.

saivet

I think it was now or never for Goffin, he's turned into a good player but I can't see him really challenging at a tournament of this magnitude again. Not sure even he himself would've believed he could reach the final here. The disappointment at missing the chance of a lifetime must be heavy right now but he can look back on a great tournament.
I think he can challenge, but will need the luck of the draw to actually win a big tournament. The type of player that I think can give anyone trouble on his day. Reminds me of Nishikori though, that he'll never quite win anything of note as he won't be able to produce two or three of these performances in a tournament.

The Firestarter

Decent match in the end, pretty rubbish tournament overall but good that the most impressive player of the week won it. Bet Dimitrov would have bitten your hand off for Cincinnati and this at the start of the year but can't help but feel it's been a year of missed opportunities for him in the slams.
True. He feels very intimidated by the big four when playing in the slams, but is slowly improving in that regard. Whether he will win a slam is a coin toss for me. Probably if he has the luck not to play Roger or Rafa in the final. Against the other players I think he is now very confident and is probably going to maintain high ranking.

wr8_utd

:'(
True. He feels very intimidated by the big four when playing in the slams, but is slowly improving in that regard. Whether he will win a slam is a coin toss for me. Probably if he has the luck not to play Roger or Rafa in the final. Against the other players I think he is now very confident and is probably going to maintain high ranking.
I only see him slipping in the ranking tbh. With Djoko and Murray back, can't see him holding onto the points. That being said he probably won't have a lot of points to defend after the Aussie Open so he could gain a bit. IW, Miami, all of clay, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, Montreal and USO are places he can't possibly do much worse than he already did. Unfortunately for him, Stan, Murray and Dkojo barely have any points to defend.

The Firestarter

I only see him slipping in the ranking tbh. With Djoko and Murray back, can't see him holding onto the points. That being said he probably won't have a lot of points to defend after the Aussie Open so he could gain a bit. IW, Miami, all of clay, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, Montreal and USO are places he can't possibly do much worse than he already did. Unfortunately for him, Stan, Murray and Dkojo barely have any points to defend.
If he maintains top 6 I would be happy. Regarding Djoko, I am not sure if he will return banging. Something felt broken about him. Stan , I think he can deal with him. Murray is a different beast though.

Giggsy92

Guess the good news is he'll likely be top 4 for a while so will avoid Fedal until the semis and there are question marks over how good Djokovic and Murray will be next year (and possibly Federer). Bad news is I don't see him ever beating Rafa in a BO5 and the draw in Australia is going to be carnage with big players seeded all over the place. Even with a nice draw I probably wouldn't bet on him in the semi-final of a slam, nice player to watch when he's on though so I hope he becomes a regular in the latter stages of the big tournaments.

Bojan11

Dimitrov has the talent to win a slam in the current field. Just lacks that extra motivation needed to make it to the top. The big four are talented but they also have amazing stamina and the ability to win matches when things are going against them.

He just seems like a guy who parties a lot.

Giggsy92

Shot clock from the 2019 AO. :drool: Not sure about switching to 16 seeds, should make the first week more interesting but hopefully not at the cost of the second week.

shaggy

Shot clock from the 2019 AO. :drool: Not sure about switching to 16 seeds, should make the first week more interesting but hopefully not at the cost of the second week.
Penultimate one on that list - hello Nick Kyrgios.

Bojan11

Penultimate one on that list - hello Nick Kyrgios.
Well it wasn’t just him at Wimbledon this year. The 50% incentive probably still isn’t enough for some players to pull out of round 1 at Wimbledon even if they are injured.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If you think he's bad look up Dmitry Tursunov.
Tursunov was never touted as a future world Nr. 1 though. Not a lot of fans roll up to a masters in the first rounds and go "oh c'mon, Tursunov isn't even trying!"

Giggsy92

Tursunov was never touted as a future world Nr. 1 though. Not a lot of fans roll up to a masters in the first rounds and go "oh c'mon, Tursunov isn't even trying!"
They'd have a hard time doing that considering he's barely shown up for a Masters since 2014, gotta save that protected ranking for the big money events.

Bojan11

Just seen Murray has flown to UAE and will be his replacement. So good news on that front.

Wawrinka also says he isn’t ready. Aussie open could turn into a mess now.

saivet

I'm not convinced Nadal will play or if he does it might be like the WTFs. Pulled out of Brisbane, so if he does play the Aus, no warm up for matches for him.

InfiniteBoredom

Cheeky bet on Dimitrov for AO? If all the big guns are injured/not ready then he'd have a good time on that surface.

I'm not expecting anything from Fed next year. Since turning 30 he's generally sandwiched a good/decent year with a terrible/indifferent one. Would be nice if it changes but then he is a 36 year old about to turn 37.

Bojan11

Djokovic pulled out of Qatar.

Will have no tournament before AO, so not looking great.

Status
Not open for further replies.