Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

This just feels like a pre-Federer AO......coast central.

Bojan11

Tomic really embarrassing.

Loses in the qualifiers and then says he is going home to count his millions.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Venus Williams and Sloane Stephens knocked out in first round. Isner out as well.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Top half turning into Coast central for Nadal even more, US Open 2.0.

Giggsy92

Top half turning into Coast central for Nadal even more, US Open 2.0.
Could actually work against Nadal as Dimitrov/Kyrgios/Tsonga will play an unseeded player in the quarters and so will (assuming Rafa's quarter holds up) have an easier time of it before the semis.

saivet

Could actually work against Nadal as Dimitrov/Kyrgios/Tsonga will play an unseeded player in the quarters and so will (assuming Rafa's quarter holds up) have an easier time of it before the semis.
If it's Tsonga (which I doubt), regardless of how easy his path may have been, that would be a great SF match for Rafa

Giggsy92

If it's Tsonga (which I doubt), regardless of how easy his path may have been, that would be a great SF match for Rafa
Wouldn't be surprised if Tsonga lost to Shapo again in the next round. With Kyrgios being Kyrgios it'll probably be either Dimitrov or an unseeded player coming out of that quarter.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Shame that so many exciting players are bundled up in Dimitrow's quarter and will take each other out while in the other quarters it will be mostly rather dull 3rd ad 4th round matches between journeymen.

saivet

Wouldn't be surprised if Tsonga lost to Shapo again in the next round. With Kyrgios being Kyrgios it'll probably be either Dimitrov or an unseeded player coming out of that quarter.
Yeah I'd fancy Shapo too.

I think Kyrgios will have a good tournament this time around and we won't see Dimitrov in the SF, but we shall see.

saivet

Raonic out last night, unsurprising in some sense because there were question marks on whether he was fit. Believe he also went out in R1 at Brisbane.

Means Federer's projected R4 match is likely to be against Querrey.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Shapovalov loses a 5 set heart breaker against Tsonga despite being a break up in the 5th. The kid will learn.

saivet

Serving for the match too. When I last checked the score it was 5-4

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Serving for the match too. When I last checked the score it was 5-4
He should probably get himself ranked next time so he doesn't face a strong opponent in the first round. Let's see how he does in Paris.

saivet

He should probably get himself ranked next time so he doesn't face a strong opponent in the first round. Let's see how he does in Paris.
They just showed quick highlights of this an he was 5-2 up in the final set. Yeah he'll have the masters tournaments to bump his way up.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Ha, I'd never heard of this guy he's playing, even for Dimitrov I did't expect this.
To be fair, McDonald is playing much better today than his ranking would indicate. Solid from the baseline and courageous with his advances to the net.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Dimitrov pulls through in the end. Fun match. And rare to see Dimitrov pull through on a day when he just can't bring his A-game, a year ago he probably would've lost that match.
Seems such a charming and well spoken guy, too. I hope he has a great year.

Giggsy92

Shit performance. But then maybe the Dimitrov of old would have lost that match.

saivet

Don't know how anyone can predict the women's game as Konta and Muguruza knocked out today.

On the mens side Querrey is out and Thiem had to come back from two sets down to win.

InfiniteBoredom

Classic Monfils. Managed to win the first but then meekly capitulated and lost the next 2 sets promptly.

Djokovic still doesn't look 100% but as he progresses I'll start shitting myself about Fed playing him.

DdeGoat

Classic Monfils. Managed to win the first but then meekly capitulated and lost the next 2 sets promptly.

Djokovic still doesn't look 100% but as he progresses I'll start shitting myself about Fed playing him.
I caught the middle of the second and the guy could barely move. He was sapped of energy in the Melbourne heat.

Bojan11

That’s harsh.

They shouldn’t even be playing and they should close the roof if they are.

Would love to see anybody play in these conditions before saying somebody has meekly capitulated. He can’t even move.

InfiniteBoredom

I caught the middle of the second and the guy could barely move. He was sapped of energy in the Melbourne heat.
That’s harsh.

They shouldn’t even be playing and they should close the roof if they are.

Would love to see anybody play in these conditions before saying somebody has meekly capitulated. He can’t even move.
Oh I'm roasting in this heat while inside so can empathise with that. That said, Djokovic is not wholly fit going into the tournament and with the H2H being 14-0 in Novak's favour, a contest of endurance if anything would be Monfil's best shot at changing that.

Instead, he completely fell to pieces after going down in the 2nd.

This heat isn't even the worse btw. The year Stan won, a consistent 40C+ heatwave dovetailed with the tournament. It dropped to something like 33 during the night, with no breeze.

saivet

I have him going out vs Zverev.

Goffin seems to be in trouble as he's about to go 2-1 down. I had a feeling he might go deep in this tournament, but appears not.

DdeGoat

Oh I'm roasting in this heat while inside so can empathise with that. That said, Djokovic is not wholly fit going into the tournament and with the H2H being 14-0 in Novak's favour, a contest of endurance if anything would be Monfil's best shot at changing that.

This heat isn't even the worse btw. The year Stan won, a consistent 40C+ heatwave dovetailed with the tournament. It dropped to something like 33 during the night, with no breeze.
Djoko looked drained too. However, the bits I caught he was up a set and level in the 2nd but looked spent. Was serving without a jump and was letting points go as he couldn't move. He felt to pieces, but not because of any mentality issues.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Federer's half becomes simpler as he is not going to face either of Raonic and Querrey in 4th round.

Bojan11

Monfils hasn’t played much tournaments either since the US open.

Giggsy92

Stan's clearly nowhere near full fitness. That quarter's still tough, though you'd expect Djokovic to come through in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.