Tennis 2019

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Chardy actually does win the fourth set, after being a point away from loss. Tsonga after great chance for break in previous game, lost his service. Of course.

InfiniteBoredom

Had nothing left in the tank by the end. Well done Chardy.

Not banking on Zverev to make the semi. Way too volatile.

RORY65

I seem to recall Becker saying the difference between Djokovic and Murray in the 2016 French Open Final was the two five setters Murray had gone through in the first two rounds. I'm not fully sure that's true, Djokovic was by far the best player in the world then, but if Zverev does intend to get past his quarter final hurdle then today may work against him.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Thiem is in trouble.
He has said after the match: "Something is totally wrong with my body....i don't what it is....i will go to a doctor in europe in the next days".
Had nothing left in the tank by the end. Well done Chardy.

Not banking on Zverev to make the semi. Way too volatile.
Zverev will go out in the 4th round.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Yesterday was a fairly humid day despite not very hot (30C high). Obviously it’s not ideal with preparation to start so late but the condition both of them played in would be much more agreeable compared to those who did earlier.
To start the match at 0.20 am was only good for the tennis viewers in Europe, North America and South America......it's very bad for the players (Konta has said "It's very dangerous for the body", it's bad for the referee/ball kids/staff and it was so unfair for the fans at the Margaret Court Arena.

With Zverev at Grand Slams you must always reckon it will be at least a four set match and Konta vs Muguruza have played very long matches in the past too.

InfiniteBoredom

To start the match at 0.20 am was only good for the tennis viewers in Europe, North America and South America......it's very bad for the players (Konta has said "It's very dangerous for the body", it's bad for the referee/ball kids/staff and it was so unfair for the fans at the Margaret Court Arena.

With Zverev at Grand Slams you must always reckon it will be at least a four set match and Konta vs Muguruza have played very long matches in the past too.
I’m not saying it is ideal, but given the circumstances it could’ve been much worse. Thiem played until nearly 2 a.m the other day as well, in worse conditions.

As for the fans, I’ve bought twilight session ticket to Melbourne park before and if you intend to watch a match scheduled at 11 p.m, staying well past midnight is part of the deal.

Looking into it, there have been a few incident with the latest match played by Hewitt and Baghdatis that finished at 4.33 a.m. Fairly surprised there hasn’t been a rule change with that as precedent but I’d imagine they don’t want to deal with the complications of relocating tickets for delayed/rescheduled matches, those don’t come cheap.

saivet

Dimitrov looks an almost certainty to make the QF, that quarter was fairly weak after the draw but with Anderson out, he'll play the winner of Tiafoe - Seppi in R4

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
A talented toddler won me a lot of money earlier. :D

Amanda Anisimova is the heir to Serena's throne. :drool:

InfiniteBoredom

Tiafoe through. Pretty saucy match up against Dimitrov, exactly the sort of player the latter struggle with.

Now let’s see if De Minaur or Verdasco can make the geezer’s life easier.

Also Wozniacki got beaten by scream queen.

Last edited:

saivet

Khachanov out to RBA in straight sets. Good news for Federer there.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Tiafoe's match earlier was incredible. His matches never disappoint.
Khachanov out to RBA in straight sets. Good news for Federer there.
Khachanov has got issues. His opponent had so much stamina though.

saivet

Khachanov has got issues. His opponent had so much stamina though.
Injury issues?

Both of RBA's first two rounds went to 5 sets, so imagine that may well catch up to him against Cilic (assuming he beats Verdasco)

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Injury issues?

Both of RBA's first two rounds went to 5 sets, so imagine that may well catch up to him against Cilic (assuming he beats Verdasco)
Nah, he kept making mistakes then getting angry with himself then making even more mistakes. :lol:

It's hard to believe RBA's previous 2 matches went to 5 sets considering how much he was running!

saivet

I think Djokovic will beat him very comfortably, but was hoping his match against Shapovalov would be a night match so I could watch it in the morning.

Guess an Aussie playing against Zverev tipped it the other way though

Skills

Snitch
Nadal absolutely massacred De Minaur after a tense first 20 min. 6-1 1st set.
How's Nadal looked? Australian open is always his Achilles heel, he's always a bit undercooked for it after the damage a year on the tour does to him.

saivet

I don’t think it matters that much, RBA is decent but don’t think he can beat Cilic.
I think there't the case for preferring Cilic to Khachanov. Cilic is a bit predictable and he has a good record against him.

saivet

How's Nadal looked? Australian open is always his Achilles heel, he's always a bit undercooked for it after the damage a year on the tour does to him.
Watched the first set and think he was excellent, but De Minaur has a lot of pressure on him and probably had the beatdown he received from Rafa at Wimbledon last year at the back of his mind.

Big test will be against Bedych who is in very good form.

InfiniteBoredom

He looked good. Serve is a bit undercooked, couple of DFs here and there but his return and groundstrokes are still incredible.
I think there't the case for preferring Cilic to Khachanov. Cilic is a bit predictable and he has a good record against him.
Cilic pushed Fed pretty damn close last year and I think he’ll be more motivated this time around. I don’t think Khachanov has the baseline game to beat Fed even if he gets that far.

saivet

Cilic pushed Fed pretty damn close last year and I think he’ll be more motivated this time around. I don’t think Khachanov has the baseline game to beat Fed even if he gets that far.
Cilic definitely has the game to push or beat Federer but from what I recall from the final last year it was a 5 set match that should have been finished sooner.

InfiniteBoredom

Cilic definitely has the game to push or beat Federer but from what I recall from the final last year it was a 5 set match that should have been finished sooner.
He got lucky with Federer fluffing up the tie break in the 2nd set but his level in the 4th was incredible, absolutely hit Roger off the court. I’d rather not having to worry about him replicating that over a couple of set or more.

saivet

He got lucky with Federer fluffing up the tie break in the 2nd set but his level in the 4th was incredible, absolutely hit Roger off the court. I’d rather not having to worry about him replicating that over a couple of set or more.
Well he's a set and break down to Verdasco.

I think from the look of thing both Nadal and Fed will have the real challenge in the next round. Think both will be good matches to watch.

InfiniteBoredom

I think from the look of thing both Nadal and Fed will have the real challenge in the next round. Think both will be good matches to watch.
2 set down now.

I think Fed will lose a set to Tsitsipas, whereas Nadal will cruise through a fairly long but routine 6-4 7-5 6-4 win (or sth close to it).

Bojan11

Can be a cnut at times. But credit to Verdasco at his age for playing at a good level.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Federer I understand given he has close tie breaks in previous matches. Why do you think Nadal's will be close? He's been cruising hasn't he?

saivet

I think Fed will lose a set to Tsitsipas, whereas Nadal will cruise through a fairly long but routine 6-4 7-5 6-4 win (or sth close to it).
I think in both matches the first set will be key. Federer or Nadal take it and I think we'll see a fairly tight 3 or 4 set win.

Imagine Federer will get the night session for this one, will be an early morning for me watching the Nadal match!

Bojan11

Federer I understand given he has close tie breaks in previous matches. Why do you think Nadal's will be close? He's been cruising hasn't he?
Because Berdych is a big step up from his three other opponents. And unlike the three others who had no real weapons. He has the serve and forehand to give Nadal a tougher game. Not saying he’d win but he’d definitely push Nadal a lot harder than the three Aussies.

InfiniteBoredom

Have to say while Cilic is making lots of errors, Verdasco has been impressive so far. His serve under pressure is exquisite.