Tennis 2020

Bojan11

Thiem first man to win US open since 1949 after being two sets down. Those four unforced errors when Zverev was serving for the match costly.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Dominic cannot stop :)

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Man, like two dead men walking. Insane levels of fitness given the circumstances.

Happy for Thiem to finally get one.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
imagine you are a reporter and you have to explain this game somehow.

Jazz

That handshake looks Pogbaeque:lol:

Jazz

Zverev really impressed me today. He was executing his game plan and showed grit I didn't think he had.nHope he wins a grand slam soon.

Enigma_87

You know who
Thiem finally breaks the duck. Made it the toughest way possible but got it in the end.

Solid performance from Zverev, given the circumstances. He spent 4 hours more on court previous to this and quite possibly should've been eliminated by PCB in the match before.

This should give Thiem a lot more confidence for the up coming RG.

Bojan11

Thiem finally breaks the duck. Made it the toughest way possible but got it in the end.

Solid performance from Zverev, given the circumstances. He spent 4 hours more on court previous to this and quite possibly should've been eliminated by PCB in the match before.

This should give Thiem a lot more confidence for the up coming RG.
French has come too soon for Thiem. It will help him for next year. But he was basically limping half the match and it’s going to be a big ask playing another slam in two weeks.

Jazz

Funny thing is - you can see it from miles away, given the 1st, yet Thiem still received it from the stands..
This! My goodness he may as well be a linesman with him standing all the way out there :lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
That is one of the most awful matches I've ever seen in a Grand Slam final. Was a constant bottle to see who gets more nervy. The final 15-20 mins of the match will end up rewriting history and it'll go down as a "classic".

Enigma_87

You know who
French has come too soon for Thiem. It will help him for next year. But he was basically limping half the match and it’s going to be a big ask playing another slam in two weeks.
Looked like normal muscle cramps. Didn't impede him much or his dynamism at the end. It was a game of nerves most of the times. Two weeks should be fine to recover, given he barely played this year and being at his peak physical ability at 27..

Jazz

Oh I feel so bad for Zverev... poor guy is so emotional right now..
Nice words from Dominic

Bojan11

Looked like normal muscle cramps. Didn't impede him much or his dynamism at the end. It was a game of nerves most of the times. Two weeks should be fine to recover, given he barely played this year and being at his peak physical ability at 27..
Barely played? He’s been playing in exhibitions non stop!

The pandemic hasn’t stopped him. It’s why I picked him for this event. He’s been playing non stop despite the pandemic.

It’s also the smallest gap between slams. The other was French and Wimbledon, only a few won that double.

wr8_utd

Two sets and a break up. 5-3 up in the final set. Mini break up in the tie break. Two double faults in a deciding set of a Grand Slam final. The future of Men's tennis is not very bright.

wr8_utd

It's not just the cramps though. He had an achilles injury as well halfway through the second set vs Medvedev. He's also played a lot of tennis playing exhos all around Europe.

Enigma_87

You know who
This! My goodness he may as well be a linesman with him standing all the way out there :lol:
I think he'd gone to get a hot dog while he waited for the ball to reach him.
His return game was generally awful. Couldn't read Zverev's serve at all and also grated another 60MPH serve off the court like he was eating a bowl of cereal.

Enigma_87

You know who
Barely played? He’s been playing in exhibitions non stop!

The pandemic hasn’t stopped him. It’s why I picked him for this event. He’s been playing non stop despite the pandemic.

It’s also the smallest gap between slams. The other was French and Wimbledon, only a few won that double.
Playing exhos against 42 years old Haas and champions tie breaks since March isn't really taxing on the body, rather than keeping shape.

He also bombed out of Cincy in his first match. 25-28 exhos since February is hardly that much taxing on your body when you are at your peak.

Let's not forget that last year he played 68 competitive matches, compared to just 14 this year(before the USO, now 21) and 20-30 exhos. You can check the time spent on court this year compared to last and there will be vast difference due to the pandemic.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Playing exhos against 42 years old Haas and champions tie breaks since March isn't really taxing on the body, rather than keeping shape.

He also bombed out of Cincy in his first match. 25-28 exhos since February is hardly that much taxing on your body when you are at your peak.

Let's not forget that last year he played 68 competitive matches, compared to just 14 this year and 20-30 exhos. You can check the time spent on court this year compared to last and there will be vast difference due to the pandemic.
Yes, and going to the French two weeks later with Achilles injury is going to be tough. Just because he’s super fit means nothing if he’s carrying a injury.

Like I explained to you very few did the French and Wimbledon double because there was short turn around between the two tournaments. So it’s going to be tough for Thiem because if he’s showing any sign of physical fatigue then Rafa or Novak won’t be as kind like Zverev was today. There’s also other players who would have had Rome to prepare, which is the only preparation tournament and Thiem will be missing that.

This match just showed even more how Djokovics stupidity cost him another slam.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes, and going to the French two weeks later with Achilles injury is going to be tough. Just because he’s super fit means nothing if he’s carrying a injury.
We are yet to see if there is something substantial in that injury. A minor tear will go away in 2 weeks, along with the other cramps. His movement throughout the match looked fine to me, his problems were elsewhere.

Like I explained to you very few did the French and Wimbledon double because there was short turn around between the two tournaments. So it’s going to be tough for Thiem because if he’s showing any sign of physical fatigue then Rafa or Novak won’t be as kind like Zverev was today. There’s also other players who would have had Rome to prepare, which is the only preparation tournament and Thiem will be missing that.
Very few has done the French / SW19 because the polar opposites of the two surfaces. Thiem most likely will do shite at Wimbey regardless of how many weeks rest he has prior. Adjusting your game from clay to grass is completely irrelevant to the example above. Thiem bread and butter is clay, he won't need much preparation to go into another clay tournament.

Many have completed the Sunshine double for example playing 5 setters in the final, without rest in between the two tournaments. Sure they aren't slams but the build up and the clay season afterwards is much more congested compared to RG/Wimbey with usually one grass tournament in between.

The argument for Rafa or Novak beating him I can buy, but that's irrelevant to his physical condition, they are just the better players.

This match just showed even more how Djokovics stupidity cost him another slam.
That I agree too. Should've been a walk in the park for him but for some reason from match 1 he was very, very nervous.

Brophs

The One and Only
Genuinely couldn’t stop laughing when I was describing the 68mph serve and this shot to my wife this morning. Bloody hell, that was some dogshit, albeit ridiculously tense, tennis.

Enigma_87

You know who

here's the beauty.

and winning after 42MPH serve (the speed gun might have been broken, but still funny as feck :D)

Brophs

The One and Only

here's the beauty.

and winning after 42MPH serve (the speed gun might have been broken, but still funny as feck :D)

The Tennis Podcast pissing themselves at the fact Thiem sliced the return off the 68mph serve properly made me laugh.

Enigma_87

You know who
The Tennis Podcast pissing themselves at the fact Thiem sliced the return off the 68mph serve properly made me laugh.
He sliced everything in that 5th set. I'm sure he'd do the same even if Zverev served underhand. The commentator said repeatedly he could run faster than some of his second serves, says it all.

And this is not his worst serve this year, mind. He did this just some of months ago.

Rajma

I mean as Thiem said in the post-match press conference, it was very evident that these guys thought this is their best chance at it by not facing any of the big 3 (at the back of their minds), thus an even greater pressure leading to such tense shots.

Jazz

Rafa!!!!! is back.

Feels like we haven't seen him playing for a million years.

saivet

Solid first set back. PCB pretty much the perfect opponent for him.

Likely to be Raonic next who will provide a different match up which I think will be good for Rafa to play a few different styles.

Jazz

Anyone watching Rafa vs Schartzmann? Expect Rafa to come through, but this match is far more competitive than I could imagine.
Schwartzmann playing some really nice tennis. Keeping Rafa honest for the moment.

saivet

Anyone watching Rafa vs Schartzmann? Expect Rafa to come through, but this match is far more competitive than I could imagine.
Schwartzmann playing some really nice tennis. Keeping Rafa honest for the moment.
Good set from Schwartzman who is one of those players who tends to give Nadal a tough match, but never seems to win. Dimitrov was a bit like that too, but the prospects look good for Schwartzman today.

Jazz

Good set from Schwartzman who is one of those players who tends to give Nadal a tough match, but never seems to win. Dimitrov was a bit like that too, but the prospects look good for Schwartzman today.
Yeah he's been great. Will be fascinating to see how Nadal turns this around - assuming he will.

Enjoying it a lot.

Jazz

Schwartzmann serving for the match. Lost the first 2 points already

Jazz

Nadal breaks. On we go