Tennis 2020

wr8_utd

:'(
Is that really exclusive to Federer fans? I find the US fans exponentially worse when cheering on their countrymen honestly.
It's chiefly Federer fans for me. It's not like it's even happening in Davis Cup ties or in Switzerland either. They're definitely the worst behaved fans I've seen and it's something that happens with a high frequency. Whistling (vs Nick), cheering on your opponents double faults (always vs Novak) and supporting Federer against your own countrymen is the kind of thing that occurs mainly in Federer match. It's obviously not his fault but he's got the worst bunch of match going fans.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just caught the highlights of the Fed match. Wasn't fun fun having to constantly check the scores whilst at work!

A really entertaining match. Old man Fed showing nerves of steel to see that through.

InfiniteBoredom

Glad grandpa pulled through. I went to sleep at 2-1 but still felt like Millman could take at least another set, turned out right.

Also wouldn’t be a tennis thread without @wr8_utd moaning about Nadal’s draw and Fed’s fans :lol:

wr8_utd

Glad grandpa pulled through. I went to sleep at 2-1 but still felt like Millman could take at least another set, turned out right.

Also wouldn’t be a tennis thread without @wr8_utd moaning about Nadal’s draw and Fed’s fans :lol:
Someone else mentioned it. I just replied :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

servebot is needed to complete the trifecta

NK86

No harm in just cheering for your hero but what Federer fans often do and continue to do is make it a hostile environment for their opponent. This has often happened and continues to. Millman getting such little support in front of an Aussie crowd was also a bit crazy.
I don't get it. So what if they make it a little hostile. It's nothing compared to what we see in other sports. You really get your knickers in a twist every time Federer wins a tough match.

Moreover, these are professional tennis players who get paid a lot of money to ping the ball back and forth. If they cannot stand a little partiality from the crowd for a legend, then they might as well stop playing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At the end of the day Federer is the most iconic tennis players and one of the most iconic sportspersons of all time. He has a unique connect with fans that can't really be explained. As a Federer fan it used to suprise me but now I'm used to him always being the crowd favourite wherever he goes. And although it can get much, it's also something to marvel. I do think much has to do with his style of play as well which clearly sets him apart.

saivet

Zverev into R4 without dropping a set. Rublev up next for him who's on a 15 match winning streak.

Kyrgios currently two sets up against Khachanov, so on course to face Nadal. He had a medical time out in the first set but seems to have recovered well though I've not really been impressed by Khachanov today.

Bojan11

Khachanov level.

Whatever the result Nadal must be loving this. Kyrgios talks a lot but he ain’t exactly fit. So playing this long won’t help him especially as Nadal will grind him. Khachanov played a long match the previous round, so eventually will catch up.

wr8_utd

5th set tie break on here.
Looks like Australians can actually cheer for their guy as very obvious here today.

wr8_utd

Awful last few points from Khachanov in the tie break. He had the match on his serve at 8-7 and then just two poor errors at 8-8.

Jazz

What a great match from Nick and Khachanov! Loved it

Jazz

First time I've seen Nick actually grind out a victory.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah what's with this change anyway? First to 10 bollocks
Sure it came into play last year, I hate it. I get adding a final set tiebreaker to stop extremely long matches but it should be to 7 points.

Joke to have 4 set tie breakers to 7 and the fifth to 10.

Some match that there, but Nadal will beat NK easily now, probably would have anyway but now be a shock if Nick competes at all.

Also no surprise Fed has be given his usual favourable treatment and on last tomorrow for an extended recovery

wr8_utd

Sure it came into play last year, I hate it. I get adding a final set tiebreaker to stop extremely long matches but it should be to 7 points.

Joke to have 4 set tie breakers to 7 and the fifth to 10.

Some match that there, but Nadal will beat NK easily now, probably would have anyway but now be a shock if Nick competes at all.

Also no surprise Fed has be given his usual favourable treatment and on last tomorrow for an extended recovery
Him getting the night slot for his previous two matches made sense but what on Earth is the logic behind putting him vs Fuscovics in a night slot and putting Novak vs Diego in the day session? The 8 time and defending Champion is about to play his 3rd match in a row in the day session.

I don't see Nadal beating Nick easily though. The guy hates Rafa and will bring his very best as usual and it's going to be another extremely tough match.

Bojan11

Nadals side of the draw is so lop sided.

Where the hell is everyone on Djokovic and Federers? Granted Djokovic faces Schwartzman today.

But the other side has Nadal, Kyrgios, Zverev, Medvedev, Thiem and Wawrinka . Could put Rublev in the dangerous player category.

Nadal was better off being world number 2.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don’t think Kyrgios will lay a glove on Nadal. More than anything, there’s very little indication that his body can stand up to multiple long matches in a row, much less with the inevitable emotional come down he’ll suffer. I suspect Rafa will have the hard work done within an hour or so and after that it’ll be just down to how Kyrgios decides to lose the match.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona

Where the hell is everyone on Djokovic and Federers? Granted Djokovic faces Schwartzman today.

But the other side has Nadal, Kyrgios, Zverev, Medvedev, Thiem and Wawrinka . Could put Rublev in the dangerous player category.

Top side is much more dangerous.

If Sandgren beats Fognini, Fed could make the SF without meeting a seed.

@wr8_utd - Agreed fully about previous 2 rounds. Even Cilic vs Raonic should be night slot over Feds match imo.

saivet

@wr8_utd - Agreed fully about previous 2 rounds. Even Cilic vs Raonic should be night slot over Feds match imo.
No one wants to watch Cilic vs Raonic and it's not even an interesting match.

A shame, the Djokovic match is not a night session as Schwartzman is a good player and I think it could be a fun match. Not sure it's interesting enough to wake up at 4am for.

InfiniteBoredom

People wondering about the schedule just take a look at the ticketek website and see how much they charge for the twilight session at AO.

It’s not a conspiracy, where do you think all the prize money came from?

wr8_utd

People wondering about the schedule just take a look at the ticketek website and see how much they charge for the twilight session at AO.

It’s not a conspiracy, where do you think all the prize money came from?
Let's be honest, RLA would sell out whether it's Novak or Federer playing there. Novak is playing a third straight day session, despite the fact that he absolutely owns this tournament, and there's only explanation for that and it's that Tiley and Co want Federer to have as much rest as possible before his next game. I'm not even bothered too much about it anymore because everyone knows the bond Federer and Tiley share and they'll do whatever possible to make it easier for Federer.

For the 5th time in 6 years they've made sure Federer starts the tournament on the first day irrespective of what his seeding is (so he gets that extra day of rest) and Tiley and Co will ensure he gets night sessions even if his opponent is crap. Federer gets what he wants and we've got to accept that.

wr8_utd

Federer had a long match vs Millman. Did you really think his best buddy Tiley would give him a day match? :lol:

InfiniteBoredom

Let's be honest, RLA would sell out whether it's Novak or Federer playing there. Novak is playing a third straight day session, despite the fact that he absolutely owns this tournament, and there's only explanation for that and it's that Tiley and Co want Federer to have as much rest as possible before his next game. I'm not even bothered too much about it anymore because everyone knows the bond Federer and Tiley share and they'll do whatever possible to make it easier for Federer.

For the 5th time in 6 years they've made sure Federer starts the tournament on the first day irrespective of what his seeding is (so he gets that extra day of rest) and Tiley and Co will ensure he gets night sessions even if his opponent is crap. Federer gets what he wants and we've got to accept that.
If you want to overrule the experience of someone who actually live here and been to the thing, that’s up to you. Second week always sold out but for the first there are plenty available on the official site as well as ticket tout like viagogo just before the match. If you think people would pay a shite load and potentially get home at 1 in the morning ahead of a long weekend for Djokovic over Federer then you’d be disappointed.

The only match I’ve been here where opponent support was remotely close in a Fed game was the 2017 final vs Nadal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

On the other hand Nadal isn't actually going to face all of those players and he doesn't have to play Djokovic to get into the final.

VP

:lol:

It's amazing how bitter @wr8_utd can get about even relatively trivial issues in a non-tribal sport like tennis.

saivet

Comfortable wins for Novak and Raonic. Glad for Raonic, as he's had a horrible time with injuries these past few years. He's not dropped a set yet either.

Watching the Barty match and they flicked over to the Fognini vs Sandgren match and it seems like Sandgren is suffering from an injury. Not sure Fognini is 100% fit either as he's had problems earlier in the tournament. Sandgren two sets up at the moment. A bit of aggro between them too..

InfiniteBoredom

2nd quarter at the AO for Sandgren. Being a redneck aside, that’s pretty damn respectable for someone who was just an obscure journeyman up to a couple years ago.