Tennis 2020

InfiniteBoredom

Grandpa woke up a bit and 3-0 up in the second but still look vulnerable on his serve. Wouldn’t surprise me if this goes to 5 again.

Brophs

The One and Only
Federer looks really vulnerable at times. And yet I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get to the semi, at which point he has a puncher’s chance. But playing the way they are, I’d expect Djokovic or Raonic to beat him.

wr8_utd

:'(
Djokovic vs Raonic should be an interesting match. The latter has been playing pretty well this week and it'll be a decent test for Novak ahead of the SF vs Federer.

wr8_utd

On the other hand Nadal isn't actually going to face all of those players and he doesn't have to play Djokovic to get into the final.
Having to face Nick, Theim and Medvedev before the final greatly reduces one's chances of even making it that far.

Bojan11

Djokovic vs Raonic should be an interesting match. The latter has been playing pretty well this week and it'll be a decent test for Novak ahead of the SF vs Federer.
Doubt it will be interesting.

Raonic has a good serve. But Djokovic will read it and just break him down. Djokovic is 9-0 in h2h and does well against big servers because he is the best returner in the game.

saivet

Thiem brushed off Monfils in 3 sets.

Looks like he can be the biggest threat to Nadal’s final chance.
I think Thiem will beat Nadal or Kyrgios in the QFs. Not sure who would win in a potential Thiem vs Medvedev SF, but provided they don't tire themselves out completely, I think either of them would have a good chance in the final.

InfiniteBoredom

I think Thiem will beat Nadal or Kyrgios in the QFs. Not sure who would win in a potential Thiem vs Medvedev SF, but provided they don't tire themselves out completely, I think either of them would have a good chance in the final.
If Djoker doesn’t get injured I don’t think anyone can beat him in this tournament.

saivet

If Djoker doesn’t get injured I don’t think anyone can beat him in this tournament.
I think a fit Medvedev probably loses but gives him a tough match. Djoker has been excellent but he hasn't played anyone that can seriously cause him trouble.

saivet

Medvedev has never won a 5th set before, before this match he was 0-5

VP

So we could potentially have a semifinal line-up - Wawrinka-Nadal; Federer-Djokovic - with an average age of 35. Must be demoralizing for the rest of the tour.

Bojan11

Inform Wawrinka is the only one who can stop Djokovic on this court.

InfiniteBoredom

This just got a bit spicier. After being utterly dominated for half an hour Kyrgios got a break off a couple of mistakes from Nadal.

And then he consolidated. 4-1 2nd set.

Bojan11

Nadal threw the set away. Should have broken in the first game.

InfiniteBoredom

Nadal threw the set away. Should have broken in the first game.
He’ll still win this comfortably as he gets much more of a look in on Kyrgios’s service games compared to his, but certainly that was a very weird sequence of events, from failing to break multiple times to making consecutive errors on his serve.

Bojan11

What is going on double faults by both. Nadal throwing this away.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Pressure getting to both of them at the moment. Almost want it too much.

Brophs

The One and Only
Kyrgios is so good for the game. A real character but he needs a slam
I’d be amazed if he ever makes a final, much less win one. He doesn’t have the game or the mentality. He’s fun to watch but you wouldn’t bet a penny on him to last two weeks at a tournament.

InfiniteBoredom

I’d be amazed if he ever makes a final, much less win one. He doesn’t have the game or the mentality. He’s fun to watch but you wouldn’t bet a penny on him to last two weeks at a tournament.
He has the game. The guy never lacks for talent but he’s openly said it bores him to play tennis and that attitude never gets you anywhere.

Competitive sports at the highest level is 90% about mentality anyway.

Brophs

The One and Only
He has the game. The guy never lacks for talent but he’s openly said it bores him to play tennis and that attitude never gets you anywhere.

Competitive sports at the highest level is 90% about mentality anyway.
I’d disagree with that. He has lots of talent but not the game. His movement is suspect, he doesn’t have the fitness or match smarts in any sort yet of consistent way and he’s way, way below his ranking in terms of returning stats, which means he can’t get a foothold against good players. I like a lot about him but there’s a touch of Sharapova about him now. He’s long since been an irrelevance at Slams. I also think his indifference/lack of motivation has a lot to do with his awareness of his own chances of success rather than solely some sort of mental weakness.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'd say he's rubbish for the game. All the talent in the world, but a spoiled little twat who can't keep his head on straight.
And that’s what I mean. Divides opinion, a hate figure but a talented one. Difficult to ignore.
Tennis is going to need personalities when the big 3 finally hang up their rackets

wr8_utd

This is the Rafael Nadal of the last few years. He's unable to overcome his nerves and always struggles to serve absolutely anything out.

Serving for match and completely goes passive. Two break points and again goes passive.

InfiniteBoredom

I’d disagree with that. He has lots of talent but not the game. His movement is suspect, he doesn’t have the fitness or match smarts in any sort yet of consistent way and he’s way, way below his ranking in terms of returning stats, which means he can’t get a foothold against good players. I like a lot about him but there’s a touch of Sharapova about him now. He’s long since been an irrelevance at Slams. I also think his indifference/lack of motivation has a lot to do with his awareness of his own chances of success rather than solely some sort of mental weakness.
He reached Wimby quarter final at the age of 19 beating a legend of the game, and has remained essentially the same player since. All of that you said can be fixed with practice, to a decent level, but he didn’t bother to, because in his own words he prefers playing basketball over practice.

When you speak about his chance of success, who else should he fear in his own generation? The guys a few years older like Raonic, Dimitrov all underwhelmed for one reason or another, the guys a few year younger like Zverev etc... are hardly generational talent themselves, only Thiem has now established himself as a serious threat and its still largely on clay. Had he been serious he could’ve at least stake a claim on every Wimby he plays.