Tennis 2021

croadyman

Be glad when he finally retires maybe after beating Federer's Wimbledon titles here's hoping anyway

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
All these royals look so eerily similar. Surely William will look the exact same as whoever this geezer is in 387 years.

Which also begs the question, why do they all live so long. Do they have some sort of fountain in there?

Moby

Dick
eh? there's clear difference. it's like asking what's the point of winning FA cup this year when you won it last year.
It's nothing like that. :lol: The achievement is in winning all four at once. Doesn't matter what order or which one comes first in a year. There's no yearly criteria in tennis.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
US Open will be incredible. Federer, Nadal and Djoko all on 20 Slams and unlike grass there is a huge amount of players that excel in that surface.

saivet

With Federer and Nadal past their primes now, it's hard to see who can even compete with him. The new gen aren't up too it.
At the USO, if he gets a tough draw there are plenty of players who can beat him/wear him down in my opinion. The USO probably the most open of slam on the mens side.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's nothing like that. :lol: The achievement is in winning all four at once. Doesn't matter what order or which one comes first in a year. There's no yearly criteria in tennis.
Winning them consecutively within a calendar year has always been the holy grail of Tennis.

Bole Top

there is, actually.

In tennis, a singles player or doubles team that wins all four Grand Slam titles in the same year is said to have achieved the Grand Slam or a Calendar Year Grand Slam. If the player or team wins all four consecutively, but not in the same calendar year, it is called a Non-Calendar Year Grand Slam.

Moby

Dick
there is, actually.

In tennis, a singles player or doubles team that wins all four Grand Slam titles in the same year is said to have achieved the Grand Slam or a Calendar Year Grand Slam. If the player or team wins all four consecutively, but not in the same calendar year, it is called a Non-Calendar Year Grand Slam.
Absolutely meaningless made up crap and you know it. :lol:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Also, am I allowed to say how smoking hot the blond line judge is??
Not sure of that's pertinent to the discussion here.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Great interview from Novak. Loved his final answer! Reckon he just said to Matteo good luck to Italy just to cheer the lad up :lol:

Jazz

Oh love that! Sweet little girl got a racket from Novak :)

Jazz

Well I'm primed and ready for the US Open. Wish the 'new gen' could get some consistency and step up, to make this more competitive.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Terminology aside I'm still wondering why it would be a bigger tennis achievement to win it in a different order.
That's just how its always been. Laver's two calendar slams are still immortalized 50 and 60 years later.

Bole Top

:lol: no doubt, if he said “forza Italia” I wouldn’t have minded.
he was even more clear than that yesterday.

“I hope it’s a wonderful couple of matches and that Italy only win in the evening!”

Djokovic has spoken of being a Manchester United fan in the past, but it appears his biggest allegiance lies with AC Milan.

The 34-year-old has attended a number of games at the San Siro and regularly keeps up to date with their games while on tour.

“I’m a big fan of Milan and I’ll always be," he said previously.

Moby

Dick
That's just how its always been. Laver's two calendar slams are still immortalized 50 and 60 years later.
I got that. I'm asking in terms of the sporting achievement is there any reason to say winning all four in the same year is tougher than winning all four split in different years?

I believe winning French and Wimby back to back would be considered important as they happen in quick succession with hugely varying conditions. Is that it?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I got that. I'm asking in terms of the sporting achievement is there any reason to say winning all four in the same year is torugher than winning all four split in different years?

I believe winning French and Wimby back to back would be considered important as they happen in quick succession with hugely varying conditions. Is that it?
I think its arguably tougher to do it in the same calendar year because the tournaments are clustered a bit tighter together on the schedule (all four are played within 8 months). Then, there's a five month gap between the US and Aussie, which could allow players a bit more rest if they were to pull it off between two calendar years.