Tennis 2021

RooneyLegend

Yeah, last year was the best chance to beat Nadal at the French. Lack of warm up tournaments, he had not played much for 6 months and obviously the conditions did not favour him.

Thiem will still be a big challenge, as winning the USO and then going for the French was too much for him.
Nah, he's gonna roast him again. At this point its beyond the skill to do it, they've all just lost the will.

MattofManchester

How so? If he's the second seed he may draw Thiem (and not Djokovic) in the SF. If he's the third seed he may draw Djokovic in the SF (and not Thiem). I find it difficult to see anyone one other than those 3 winning RG, and Nadal will still be favorite. If any think those seeds would be worse for Novak as he'd likely have to beat Nadal and Thiem back to back to win it.
I'm just a little concerned is all.

Beating Thiem and Djokovic back to back may end up being a massive task for him.

He surprises every year by continously winning RG, but I do tend to have my doubts anyway.

The clay season will tell.

I'm hoping he can hold RG and pick up one more Wimbledon title if he can.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Garbage final, error strewn and Brady has let the nerves get to her while Osaka has grown in confidence. She knows Brady is crumbling

MattofManchester

Garbage final as a result of the draw.

Halep, Swiatek, Williams, Osaka all on one side.

An injured Barty on the other, quite conveniently.

Disappointing again.

saivet

Too good from Osaka. I hope she can crack the clay and grass at some point too.

4 slams at 23 is hugely impressive. I think Venus and Serena are the only active players on the WTA with more.

iKnowNothing

Means *their* 4th Grand Slam. Arbitrary, and really not that interesting.
Err.. so Osaka won her 4th slam since 2012 and the others (Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka, Angie Kerber) have three. Surely the usual suspects have won more?

Edit:
I was feeling dumb for not getting what he was saying, so I went over to twitter and see if someone had asked him a follow up on that to get more context and here it is.

Gah! I want these 10 mins of my life back. Totally pointless stat. Fecking hell.

Thanks @Mrs Smoker : Now i see why you said "arbitrary".

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Osaka can step up her game a notch she could go on a serious run and one day catch Serena. Long way to go and she’s not nearly as dominant as Serena at the same age.

wr8_utd

:'(
I don't really see anyone dominating the WTA field at all. Just feels like a lot of Slams will be shared between players.

saivet

If Osaka can step up her game a notch she could go on a serious run and one day catch Serena. Long way to go and she’s not nearly as dominant as Serena at the same age.
A very long way to go. Really interested to see if she can make big improvements at Roland Garros or Wimbledon this year.

MattofManchester

A very long way to go. Really interested to see if she can make big improvements at Roland Garros or Wimbledon this year.
Probably has something to do with the level of competition around them as well, to keep them motivated.

Nadal, Djokovic and Federer had and have each other(Likely that Fed would have already retired otherwise).

Serena had Graf, Davenport, Clijsters, Henin, her sister and a few others I'm missing.

Who does Osaka have?

saivet

Probably has something to do with the level of competition around them as well, to keep them motivated.

Nadal, Djokovic and Federer had and have each other(Likely that Fed would have already retired otherwise).

Serena had Graf, Davenport, Clijsters, Henin, her sister and a few others I'm missing.

Who does Osaka have?
Still early days but I think Andreescu, Barty and Swiatek will be in contention to win more slams. Gauff is still incredibly young too. I think there's enough quality in some of the younger players to keep things interesting if they stay injury free and perform consistently in slams.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Who does Osaka have?
If Serena had late career Graf, then surely Osaka has late career Serena, along with the likes of Kenin, Halep, Barty (all slam winners) and various other newcomers such as Andreescu, Sabalenka and others. The only reason some of these names aren’t well known is because they’re relatively new - just as Henin and Clijsters were relative unknowns about 20 years ago.

Zen

Serena and Graf played like twice. Serena really did well in the post-Henin years, where no genuine all time player come through at all, she smashed Sharapova, Azarenka, Woz... these aren't all time players.

Henin, Venus and Hingis are mainly her rivals. Two of them had short lived careers for reasons I'm cool with, but it's a shame full rivalries we're taken away because it's nothing compared to losing the greatest womens rivalry in Graf-Seles over psychotic reasons.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
2 brilliant first games from Djokovic right away. Let`s see if Medvedev can find a way into this.

saivet

Strong start from Novak. Medvedev needs to get into this to make sure the set doesn't race away from him.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
God damn it can someone beat Novak, sick of him dominating now.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Bellend fan who shouted something right before Medvedve hit his decisive miss. Don't think it mattered but how can you not just shut up in that situation.

InfiniteBoredom

I don’t think Djokovic has been amazing. He’s hitting well but Medvedev is playing within himself and didn’t test him much that set.

Still think it’s his to lose, even with this early break.

Brophs

The One and Only
Watch Djokovic break now to give himself serve in the third.