Tennis 2021

InfiniteBoredom

From potentially going up 5-2 at 30-0 to getting broken to love at 4-5 with Djoker serving for the set.

No one chokes better than Zverev.

wr8_utd

:'(
The only real surprise in this match was the fact Zverev actually managed to regroup in the first set tiebreaker.

wr8_utd

Zverev breaks at the start of Set 4 as well. Wonder what game he'll throw double faults this set.

Zen

Still proving that for absolutely baffling reasons, Tennis fans are bitter as hell.

Djokovic can't be injured because he's winning?
Zverev has to be choking because he's not killing off a better, and historically hard to kill off opponent.

I generally don't get why you watch, just enjoy it, or don't watch.

saivet

Still proving that for absolutely baffling reasons, Tennis fans are bitter as hell.

Zverev has to be choking because he's not killing off a better, and historically hard to kill off opponent.

Agree with your sentiment but Zverev is notorious for double faulting. It's not just an issue today or against top players.

MattofManchester

Well, the level of tennis here is quite hard to watch, so naturally people seem to be gravitating towards other factors.

I haven't seen many over the top comments either. I think it's quite okay to question Novak's injury, given how well he's stretching. If anything, it just seems like he's off form more than anything else.

And Zverev, well, it was a godlike miracle he went two sets without double faulting, so when it happened, people were like, yep, that's the guy we know.

wr8_utd

And Zverev gets broken. This is why he has the reputation he has. Second set running, he ought to be a double break up but wastes it and immediately gets broken back.

MattofManchester

Zverev's game is baffling. He's such a big guy, so you would imagine serving is a strength in his game, on both the first and second serve.

Neither does he tend to hit through the ball either, preferring to rally instead. Doesn't really play to his physical strengths.

saivet

This has been a pretty mediocre match. I've not seen any of Karatsev but I think both of these guys are lucky it's him waiting for them in the SF as the level from both is far from impressive.

wr8_utd

This has been a pretty mediocre match. I've not seen any of Karatsev but I think both of these guys are lucky it's him waiting for them in the SF as the level from both is far from impressive.
Yup. Thiem, in better form, would have easily beaten either of these. Djokovic really hasn't had a good AO for once. I can see Medvedev winning the title this year tbh.

Ladron de redcafe

Zverev must be one of the weakest players, mentally, in the sport. It's shocking just how often he self destructs when he sees himself leading and has a finish in sight. At the first sign of pressure, he repeatedly imploded.

saivet

He's not really in great form, tbh. Winning, but not anywhere near the level in 2019.
Also, didn't he injure his arse in that 5 setter?
From what I heard he had a bit of a meltdown mentally rather than it being a physical thing. Medvedev is also on a long winning streak having won the Paris Masters 1000 and ATP finals last year and winning all his matches on the way to the ATP Cup. I believe he's the bookies favourite too.

Sanche7

Name one sport where fans aren't bitter. Nadal fans are probably be angry at Zverev for not trying to finish off Djokovic. That's only natural. That doesn't mean they have no right to watch the game or that they dont enjoy the game. The last thing we need is people telling others what they should watch, how they should watch it and how to enjoy what they are watching.

Zen

Name one sport where fans aren't bitter. Nadal fans are probably be angry at Zverev for not trying to finish off Djokovic. That's only natural. That doesn't mean they have no right to watch the game or that they dont enjoy the game. The last thing we need is people telling others what they should watch, how they should watch it and how to enjoy what they are watching.
For individual sports? Most of them..... you don't see this kind of anger in Golf discussions, I mean Tiger's obviously made a little mark with his personal antics, but still, no way near close, same with Boxing, MMA, Darts, Snooker.... MMA's got some nutters mind.

I've been around the block in sports discussions for like 20+ years online, and the pedestal Federer/Nadal are put on and treated like deitys creates for a weird vibe sometimes. It's not exclusive to here at all mind you. Basically a lot of anger isn't so much Zverev "choking" - but Djokovic going through and possible facing Nadal... as a fan of the sport, I'd prefer the better projected match, not the easier projected win for Nadal. Same if Federer was here.

MattofManchester

I've been around the block in sports discussions for like 20+ years online, and the pedestal Federer/Nadal are put on and treated like deitys creates for a weird vibe sometimes.
Interesting how you spoke about a pedestal and then conveniently left out Novak.
All three are put on pedestals by their respective fans.

I smell an agenda.

Last edited:

Zen

At some time or other, I have now officially been accused of being a fanboy of all 3. Sums it up doesn't it.... you can't make an argument for any of them without being a "fanboy" or bias towards them, and you can't show neutrality without it somehow, weird as feck.

MattofManchester

At some time or other, I have now officially been accused of being a fanboy of all 3. Sums it up doesn't it.... you can't make an argument for any of them without being a "fanboy" or bias towards them, and you can't show neutrality without it somehow, weird as feck.
You are being incredibly salty about something that isn't even happening in this thread, let alone on this forum.

RooneyLegend

Facts are acts though. Djokovic is an incredible actor and so far in his career Zverev has been far from clutch. I mean converting 3 out of 12 break points is no way to beat the world no1. It simply won't get it done.

Djokovic might well be injured but at this point he's the child who cried wolf. It's not like it's only fans who know about his powers of recovery, everyone seems to know. Roddick called him out about it eons ago. You can believe in coincidences but we don't.

MattofManchester

Ok brother.... except, you literally just did it.

It's shit like this. And using terms like 'salty' when you are the one who's being salty by claiming agendas when someone isn't blinded by fandom.
Salty, because you've become bitter over something that nobody in this thread has done, while seemingly doing the exact same thing by pointing fingers at players and conveniently omitting a third.
Nadal,Djokovic and Fed are synonymous with each other. You overlooking one of them wasn't a mistake. Fact is, all their fanbase have a portion that's toxic.

Its interesting that you chose a thread that wasn't being toxic to complain about toxicity.

But this is exactly the kind of arguments I don't want to get into, so I'm bailing out.

wr8_utd

I don't understand Zen's point about Zverev. It's not about any fanbase being bitter or us giving him too much stick for struggling against one of the GOATs. The guy literally does this against all sorts of players. He's one of the biggest bottle jobs on the circuit right now and his serve always seems to go to pieces when he really needs it. It could be when he's facing the World #1 or #250. How many times did he get completely tight today?

saivet

Annoying that Serena vs Osaka is at 3am UK time tomorrow. Even though I'm off this week, I doubt I can bring myself to wake up for it.

Ladron de redcafe

Oh this will be interesting.

He doesn't speak for the majority of the players, though. In fact, he's been openly criticized by many players for his stances and actions throughout the past year. If he doesn't want to play the slams becuase of quarantine, he doesn't have to. Stay home.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nadal is so tenacious. A momentary drop in focus and you're a break down.

MattofManchester

Nadal serving and return not great, but groundstrokes are phenomenal.

Fact is, Nadal is a very bad matchup for Tsitsipas.