Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camilo

I'm puzzled.

Honesty, I'm obviously apart from mainstream views on the topic. People are offended because there's a person somewhere on the planet who doesn't want a vaccine (like around 10-15% of people on this forum), has some weird world views (so what) and was (apparently wrongly) given exemption by an incompetent government to play a tennis tournament.

I really don't get it. Boris is being bumped for a soap opera that people are actually taking seriously

MattofManchester

Tsitsipas seems like the new 'nearly' guy. Zverev capitulates in big GS matches and for Medvedev, his greatest enemy is his own mind. Karatsev has a good game, but I don't think it's enough to win.

Nadal's hard draw is actually a good thing. He can look at playing himself into form. It's the big servers that will be difficult for him, and usually who he loses to. But I hope he can pull it through. The win earlier will help immensely.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Back to tennis, I think we're finally going to get some new winners in the Australian open now that Novak is out and Nadal is out of form.

The last winner not from the big 3 was Wawrinka in 2014 and before that was Safin in 2015.

The big 3 dominance in men's tennis is borderline ridiculous.
It's amazing, isn't it?

I was thinking of starting a thread with people ranking the 3, but I don't know how much it's already been discussed on here and didn't want to cause overkill!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Tsitsipas seems like the new 'nearly' guy. Zverev capitulates in big GS matches and for Medvedev, his greatest enemy is his own mind. Karatsev has a good game, but I don't think it's enough to win.

Nadal's hard draw is actually a good thing. He can look at playing himself into form. It's the big servers that will be difficult for him, and usually who he loses to. But I hope he can pull it through. The win earlier will help immensely.
Be brilliant to see Nadal have one more big year, is he on 20 slams too right? Or is be one behind?

wr8_utd

:'(
Yeah, by no means will this be an easy ride for Nadal. Just thinking that, when you consider who's missing the AO, he couldn't ask for a better chance to leapfrog Federer and Djokovic.

As well as the two you mentioned, there's Tsitsipas and I agree with @Berbasbullet above - Karatsev looked very impressive yesterday. Monfils is apparently in good form, too, which I love to see.
Rafa, even if he were in form, would have had a difficult time. This time, given he's been woeful all of last year and also short of proper match sharpness, is going to really struggle imo. He's got Kokkinakis in Round 2 who is in great form right now. That is followed by Karatsev or Khachanov in R3, Hurkacz or Shapovalov (who always gives Rafa a tough match) in R4 and then Zverev in the QF. If anything, his semi will probably be his easiest match after R1 with the withdrawal of Novak. I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't see Rafa making it to the second week also. If he does make it to the semis though, then I'd back him to beat Medvedev in the finals.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
A lot of bitter people here.

Australia have been hilariously bad here and should be embarrassed.

Most of us have probably had our last vaccine now anyway, so we're months away from being at the same level of immunity as the unvaccinated, yet we treat them like neo nazis... I think it's pretty blooming odd. But hey, whatever makes you happy.
This is such a stupid post.

zing

Zingle balls
A lot of bitter people here.

Australia have been hilariously bad here and should be embarrassed.

Most of us have probably had our last vaccine now anyway, so we're months away from being at the same level of immunity as the unvaccinated, yet we treat them like neo nazis... I think it's pretty blooming odd. But hey, whatever makes you happy.
I agree. Especially given now that it's well established that the vaccines do not protect much against Omicron, what is the point of mandating vaccines(which I am against regardless) especially for professional athletes? The baseline population risk due to such high community transmission is so high with Omicron that vaccinated vs unvaccinated in this context for incoming travelers is meaningless.

The risk calculus for vaccines for professional players is not being considered either where there are reports of myocarditis -- I'd be curious to know what the implication of that is for a professional athlete aged 20-35 vs getting COVID for supremely fit people.

Djokovic has been stupid and I think they're entitled to not allow him to play - it's their tournament.. but the whole thing has been a circus and Australia have somehow managed to look worse than a guy who claims he found out about gluten intolerance by placing bread on his stomach.

RoadTrip

I'm puzzled.

Honesty, I'm obviously apart from mainstream views on the topic. People are offended because there's a person somewhere on the planet who doesn't want a vaccine (like around 10-15% of people on this forum), has some weird world views (so what) and was (apparently wrongly) given exemption by an incompetent government to play a tennis tournament.

I really don't get it. Boris is being bumped for a soap opera that people are actually taking seriously
You’re either purposely being obtuse, or you’re just a bit dim and/or unable to read. Quite clear that people don’t SOLELY hate him for being anti - vax. Didn’t see anyone say anything much about his vaccination status before this saga occurred.

It’s when you add in how he has behaved, tried to bend rules, either faked and infection or actually had it and knowingly put lives at risk. Sure plenty of people don’t like or understand those against the vaccine. But let’s not pretend that’s the only reason why Novak has garnered some hate here.

All of this is crystal clear in many posts over the last few pages alone. So I ask again, are you being obtuse? Or are you just writing idiotic posts? Either way, that’s what is really puzzling.

RoadTrip

I agree. Especially given now that it's well established that the vaccines do not protect much against Omicron, what is the point of mandating vaccines(which I am against regardless) especially for professional athletes? The baseline population risk due to such high community transmission is so high with Omicron that vaccinated vs unvaccinated in this context for incoming travelers is meaningless.

The risk calculus for vaccines for professional players is not being considered either where there are reports of myocarditis -- I'd be curious to know what the implication of that is for a professional athlete aged 20-35 vs getting COVID for supremely fit people.

Djokovic has been stupid and I think they're entitled to not allow him to play - it's their tournament.. but the whole thing has been a circus and Australia have somehow managed to look worse than a guy who claims he found out about gluten intolerance by placing bread on his stomach.
Firstly the idea that vaccines don’t work vs omicron is just flat out wrong. So better to get educated in that to start with.

Having said that, if he doesn’t want to take it that’s his choice. I don’t have an issue with that. Do I disagree? Yes. But does it really bother me? No.

Which brings me to my second point. Who has mandated he has a vaccine? No one. So that’s a plainly false point you make. No one has said he must be vaccinated to play. Indeed it appears the tennis authorities were fine with it. However, that’s different for rules to enter a country. Novak has a choice. So does Australia about which foreign citizens they let in.

What you’re failing to understand is people aren’t particularly annoyed about his vaccine status on its own. It’s the way he has behaved and his actions over the last month or so.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm puzzled.

You’re trying too hard now.

sidsutton

You’re trying too hard now.
Personally I'm on tenterhooks, eagerly anticipating how the poster can once again write the same post, worded differently, without addressing any of the replies or points raised to him/her.

saivet

Rafa, even if he were in form, would have had a difficult time. This time, given he's been woeful all of last year and also short of proper match sharpness, is going to really struggle imo. He's got Kokkinakis in Round 2 who is in great form right now. That is followed by Karatsev or Khachanov in R3, Hurkacz or Shapovalov (who always gives Rafa a tough match) in R4 and then Zverev in the QF. If anything, his semi will probably be his easiest match after R1 with the withdrawal of Novak. I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't see Rafa making it to the second week also. If he does make it to the semis though, then I'd back him to beat Medvedev in the finals.
Believe Karstsev is a potential R4 opponent and Shapo in the QFs instead.

I think Zverev is the big one but I wouldn't be shocked if he makes the QF. If he's feeling fit I think you would have fancy himself against those guys prior to the QF. They're challenging but very winnable matches where he would rightly be the favorite.

Brophs

The One and Only
Rafa winning the Aus and the French to put himself two ahead, with Wimbledon and the US left to play this and a potential missed Aus at the start of next for Djokovic would make the slam race so much more interesting, as it’s always been when Djokovic is doing the chasing. Because you get the feeling if he gets ahead, he’ll stretch that lead to 2 or 3 readily enough and by then he’s probably not realistically getting caught (though, for all that, I think he’ll be well ahead by the time they all finish).

zing

Zingle balls
Firstly the idea that vaccines don’t work vs omicron is just flat out wrong. So better to get educated in that to start with.

Having said that, if he doesn’t want to take it that’s his choice. I don’t have an issue with that. Do I disagree? Yes. But does it really bother me? No.

Which brings me to my second point. Who has mandated he has a vaccine? No one. So that’s a plainly false point you make. No one has said he must be vaccinated to play. Indeed it appears the tennis authorities were fine with it. However, that’s different for rules to enter a country. Novak has a choice. So does Australia about which foreign citizens they let in.

What you’re failing to understand is people aren’t particularly annoyed about his vaccine status on its own. It’s the way he has behaved and his actions over the last month or so.
On vaccines vs omicron from the NHS:
https://ibb.co/p3FXPxx

Feel free to educate me. EDIT: I left the word 'symptomatic infection' out in my original post out I see.

Second point - the Australian government has mandated vaccines for entry and that is also part of what I wrote my post against re baseline risk vs risk of someone new coming in, in context of omicron.

Third point - there are no laws against 'behaviour' and 'actions', otherwise a lot of professional sports persons wouldn't be playing. Feel free to be annoyed - that is not what my post is about.

Last edited:

Camilo

You’re either purposely being obtuse, or you’re just a bit dim and/or unable to read. Quite clear that people don’t SOLELY hate him for being anti - vax. Didn’t see anyone say anything much about his vaccination status before this saga occurred.

It’s when you add in how he has behaved, tried to bend rules, either faked and infection or actually had it and knowingly put lives at risk. Sure plenty of people don’t like or understand those against the vaccine. But let’s not pretend that’s the only reason why Novak has garnered some hate here.

All of this is crystal clear in many posts over the last few pages alone. So I ask again, are you being obtuse? Or are you just writing idiotic posts? Either way, that’s what is really puzzling.
Just a different point of view, not hard to understand.

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about a Serbian tennis player and an incompetent government. It's pretty clear. And from my point of view on that, I don't get you. Much like you don't get me. Which is fine.

Best to remember that your opinion on the matter isn't the "correct" opinion though... Or perhaps not you specifically, but whoever it is on here who acts like someone has walked into their living room and taken a shit whenever anyone thinks differently.

RoadTrip

Just a different point of view, not hard to understand.

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about a Serbian tennis player and an incompetent government. It's pretty clear. And from my point of view on that, I don't get you. Much like you don't get me. Which is fine.

Best to remember that your opinion on the matter isn't the "correct" opinion though... Or perhaps not you specifically, but whoever it is on here who acts like someone has walked into their living room and taken a shit whenever anyone thinks differently.
But I wasn’t debating your opinion. I was just challenging you on your view that you can’t understand why people are upset. My view on the nature of your post stems from the fact that since your first post, you had several people explain why (and in particular why it isn’t just about being anti-vax. When you then repeated your initial bemusement, with the notion that people are upset because he wasn’t vaccinated, I felt right to challenge you on it because it seems to me you ignored all those posts. If after reading those posts you’re still puzzled - sure, that’s your choice. But still keen to understand why you can’t understand why people might be upset with someone who either faked having covid or had it and put others at risk. You might disagree with being worked up about it - that would be your opinion and we could agree to disagree. But being puzzled about why those who disagree with you to do so? Hmm.

RoadTrip

On vaccines vs omicron from the NHS:
https://ibb.co/p3FXPxx

Feel free to educate me. EDIT: I left the word 'symptomatic infection' out in my original post out I see.

Second point - the Australian government has mandated vaccines for entry and that is also part of what I wrote my post against re baseline risk vs risk of someone new coming in, in context of omicron.

Third point - there are no laws against 'behaviour' and 'actions', otherwise a lot of professional sports persons wouldn't be playing. Feel free to be annoyed - that is not what my post is about.
You suggested vaccines don’t protect much VS Omicron. Which, sorry, is wrong. They are very effective against illness and, at least in the short term, in transmission too. Now, I understand your argument that if transmission is high, the risk of someone travelling in with it is somewhat irrelevant. I agree with that.

But I don’t understand the relevance. Whether the rules are right or not, they are there no? And Australia isn’t and outlier with these rules. The US, for example, has the same rule. Although perhaps they’d apply the exemption for “person of national interest” more leniently. Either way, Australia have a right to do whatever rules they like.

On your final point about laws about behaviour or actions, I’m not entirely sure why this has to do with anything? I was explaining why people are upset at him. What, people can only be upset at someone’s behaviours or actions if and only if it’s illegal? Not really sure I follow your point. If you’re trying to suggest he shouldn’t have been deported on the basis of his actions (because they aren’t illegal), then … ok?

Ladron de redcafe

For Nadal to win it the 2nd time would be great but I don't see it. Medvedev and Zverev are too strong right now.
However, Nadals big hope should be that French Open will require vaccination as well, which would give him an excellent shot at winning there.
He's out of form, which is a shame because the this is a good opportunity to get to 21 while completing the double career grand slam. I don't see him beating Medvedev, either.

But great champions sometimes dig in and perform a lot better than their form suggests. Let's hope that's the case.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Weed is pretty harmless really so I think it’s absolute bollocks that Novak has been jailed for 25 years for trying to import 10lbs of skunk. He’s said numerous times that he doesn’t smoke and doesn’t think it’s a good idea to smoke and last month he bought it when he was in California where it’s legal and he has the receipts and he’s got emails proving that he intended to gift it to his friend when he got back to America.

ExoduS

All I am going to say here is that I am very, very sad. Djokovic has put himself in a terrible situation through choices he has made him self. I am a big fan, and I will always be a big fan of Novak Djokovic. The guy is absolute legend and sublime tennis player when in top form. His peak is arguably best tennis that has ever existed. I hate that some people in media are trying to take that away from him.

With being a great champion come great responsibilities. He must understand that and make necessary corrections. The way he went to Australia was a terrible choice and even if everything around the exemption was crystal clear he would have faced similar consequences and/or outrage.

Life goes on, and it's time for Novak to make some correct choices going forward. This is amazing lesson in humility and he needed it badly.

Kazi

Good timing in Novak’s career. Last year was too easy for him, so he needed some additional motivation to make the push towards 25 majors.

Zen

Bookies suggest this is a bigger big 3 than the big 3/4 ever were....

the drop off in odds after Nadal is massive. What's up with Tsitsipas for him to be such an outsider odds wise?

saivet

Bookies suggest this is a bigger big 3 than the big 3/4 ever were....

the drop off in odds after Nadal is massive. What's up with Tsitsipas for him to be such an outsider odds wise?
Tsitsipas had an elbow injury at the back end of the year and had surgery prior to the tournament. He only played on full match in the ATP Cup which he lost to Schwartzman.

I think he'll be a more relevant force this year but the Australian Open may be too early in his comeback to mount a serious challenge.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Everything else forgotten, at a very basic level he’s just a monumental twat.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I’ve just realised it’s our Matic that said that. What a donkey.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I quite liked Djokovic before the pandemic.

Before he became a serial grand slam winner, or even before he won his first grand slam in 2008, the tennis world was largely divided into Federer and Nadal fans, and his rise upset upset many members of those both of those fanbases. In fact it seemed to increase the 'mutual respect' between those 2 fanbases, as a new common nemesis emerged and went from strength to strength.

But since the pandemic he has acted like a complete idiot.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It will be interesting to see how Medvedev gets on now after breaking his grand slam title duck last September. He has the ability to rack up grand slam title wins on hard courts.

Denis79

Well established? Sorry but what the feck are you on about? Educate yourself before going around posting stupidity.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Despite the fact that he tries to serve donkeys instead of tennis balls in big matches?
He's improved since the Olympics I reckon. I think even the odds makers have him second favorite behind Medvedev.

The lad that beat Murray the other day has a great chance I reckon, a semi finalist last year as well I hear? Hit the ball very nicely on the surface and defended well too.
Yeah he played amazing against Murray. I put him in the same bracket as Rublev , solid power hitters who will be a tough out for anyone but not elite enough to win against the top top guys in grand slams yet. Still a few holes in the game

zing

Zingle balls
Insulting another member
Well established? Sorry but what the feck are you on about? Educate yourself before going around posting stupidity.
Calm down you imbecile. It was a typo I corrected in a later post.

Status
Not open for further replies.