Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Umming and ahing whether to stay up for Nadal's match at 4am. Really wanna see what kind of form he's in.

MattofManchester

Good performance from Rafa.

Lots of rust showing in that second and third set, but there's potential.
The serve is looking really good.

Physically though, he's looking the best I've seen him since pre-pandemic.

Brophs

The One and Only
Horrible draw for Norrie to get Korda first round. Bad way to start considering how well he did last season.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Australian MP hinting at what we all knew would happen. Probably letting him in next year.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Australian MP hinting at what we all knew would happen. Probably letting him in next year.
I think that’s on the assumption it’s going to be endemic by then and the world will very much have learned to live with it. Hopefully that’s going to be the case but if we are still dealing with new variants causing massive rises in cases/hospitalisations/deaths and Australia has hard border policies that are stopping the general public from entering if not vaccinated then I think there’s every chance he will not be allowed in.

What I do expect to happen next year is for Novak and his team to work a lot closer with the Aussie feds as well as state and TA authorities to get his paperwork correct and if thats not possible then he will avoid all this and not even attempt to enter. He knows full well he’s not going to get away with any shenanigans next year.

saivet

Not a huge surprise but we won't be seeing Nadal vs Kokkinakis in R2. I imagine a pretty physical and draining two weeks meant Kokk wasn't quite ready.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not a huge surprise but we won't be seeing Nadal vs Kokkinakis in R2. I imagine a pretty physical and draining two weeks meant Kokk wasn't quite ready.
I didn't watch but reading some opinions on the match and, yeah, he seemed spent. Hanfmann up next for Nadal.

Rooney24

I'm puzzled.

Honesty, I'm obviously apart from mainstream views on the topic. People are offended because there's a person somewhere on the planet who doesn't want a vaccine (like around 10-15% of people on this forum), has some weird world views (so what) and was (apparently wrongly) given exemption by an incompetent government to play a tennis tournament.

I really don't get it. Boris is being bumped for a soap opera that people are actually taking seriously
No one is offended because he isn’t vaccinated. That’s his right.

What has fecked people off is he has clearly tried to sneak into a country by the back door despite the fact that some Australian citizens couldn’t even get in. He has shown total disrespect and huge arrogance regarding the entry requirements.

It’s simply about respecting the entry rules of a country.

That’s before we even touch on his very questionable behavior when he knew he was positive.

wr8_utd

:'(
Wow Kokkiankis lost in straight sets. Given his pre AO form, that's a good result for Rafa. Karatsev a set down a tie breaker in the second.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don’t expect this to happen at other slams as I expect, perhaps naively, circumstances to have changed by then, plus I could see a quarantine fudge being put in place. Still, not looking much better for Djokovic.

Last edited:

wr8_utd

I don’t expect this to happen at other slams as I, perhaps naively, circumstances to have changed by then, plus I could see a quarantine fudge being put in place. Still, not looking much better for Djokovic.
Surprised by this. News so far has suggested that RG would allow everyone to play.

wr8_utd

Paris, Jan 17 (EFE).- The French government has said that everyone at the Roland Garros tennis tournament later this year, including players, staff and spectators, will have to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.

This announcement overnight by the authorities represents a change in stance 10 days after the government had indicated that world number one Novak Djokovic could be allowed participate in the French Open even if he was not vaccinated.

The announcement was made through a tweet by Sports Minister Roxana Maracinanu hours after the Parliament finally adopted the bill that will require people to carry a certificate of vaccination for many social activities, including sporting events.
Things might change by then but, as things stand, looks like Novak will only be allowed to play Wimbledon this year.

saivet

Things might change by then but, as things stand, looks like Novak will only be allowed to play Wimbledon this year.
Yeah given the UK's policy on international travel at worst he may have to quarantine for a few days to be able to compete at Wimbledon. Even though he's won Australia 9 times, I think Wimbledon is the tournament where he would be favoured the most due to the current lack of depth on grass.

He should at least be able to play Queens prior to Wimbledon too if he doesn't play at RG.

Doracle

He’s going to have to get vaccinated isn’t he? No way is he going to miss 3 slams this year in his chase for the 21st.

wr8_utd

I reckon he'll stick to his guns and not get jabbed
And give up on 3 Slams? I don't think so. He's surely not going to give up on GOAT status just to stick to his beliefs. He might have "cried" but he did get elbow surgery eventually.

wr8_utd

Karatsev 2-1 down but serving for the 4th set. Would be a great day for Nadal if he also crashes out here.

saivet

Karatsev 2-1 down but serving for the 4th set. Would be a great day for Nadal if he also crashes out here.
Would be good news. Not sure it's a reflection of his game or today's performance but while Karatsev has notched up 74 winners, he's had 95 unforced errors so far which I don't think is a sustainable way to play.
And give up on 3 Slams? I don't think so. He's surely not going to give up on GOAT status just to stick to his beliefs. He might have "cried" but he did get elbow surgery eventually.
We'll see but he's a stubborn man.

Denis79

Novak's not covered himself in glory either.
Novak came out a clown. Every sport interested person in the world now knows about his very unintelligent thoughts and beliefs. The Aussie government handled it poorly but people aren't shocked by politicians and their questionable ways and this debacle will be forgotten by the masses, Djokovic perception on reality won't be.

wr8_utd

Would be good news. Not sure it's a reflection of his game or today's performance but while Karatsev has notched up 74 winners, he's had 95 unforced errors so far which I don't think is a sustainable way to play.

We'll see but he's a stubborn man.
He's a break up in the fifth and he just hit 100 unforced errors :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Novak came out a clown. Every sport interested person in the world now knows about his very unintelligent thoughts and beliefs. The Aussie government handled it poorly but people aren't shocked by politicians and their questionable ways and this debacle will be forgotten by the masses, Djokovic perception on reality won't be.
Looks like The French Open won't let him play unless vaccinated.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...title-defence-in-doubt-over-covid-pass-ruling

Denis79

Looks like The French Open won't let him play unless vaccinated.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...title-defence-in-doubt-over-covid-pass-ruling
I wonder if he takes the vaccine then, more likely he will just buy the paper that says he has.

If he is unvaccinated and confirms this by the time the French Open starts I will give him credit for standing firm on his beliefs, however stupid they are. But the much more likely scenario is that he will produce papers that he's vaccinated and trust me those papers will be bought.

I'm completely serious when I tell you that if I slip a nurse 100 Euros here in Serbia and ask them to log me as vaccinated, they will.

Moby

Dick
I wonder if he takes the vaccine then, more likely he will just buy the paper that says he has.
I'd say he will not mind actually taking the vaccine as opposed to admitting it publicly after all this while. These guys take shit loads of drugs and supplements, they pretty much know this one little vaccine isn't gonna change anything drastically.

Denis79

I'd say he will not mind actually taking the vaccine as opposed to admitting it publicly after all this while. These guys take shit loads of drugs and supplements, they pretty much know this one little vaccine isn't gonna change anything drastically.
You have remember that this is a man who thinks you can purify water with nice thoughts, you can't approach this logically.

ExoduS

I wonder what Djokovic really cares about. What is most important to him at this point of his life. Fame? Well he blew that one. Money? Well he is blowing that too. Grand slams? He is also self-sabotaging himself there. I think in his chase for greatness he got lost. I have been following him since 2007 and 2016 and onward he went into pseudoscience land and he just keeps going deeper and deeper, but he also keeps winning or barely missing a big trophy.

This is what I would say to Novak: When you are about to get jabbed, just start praying and send positive emotion to the syringe, and that Phizer or moderna mix will become the most natural healing and energizing potion that will help you win 10 more grand slams.

Joke aside, I genuinely believe that if he gets jabbed that he will associate anything negative psychically or mentally with the vaccine. Basically he is unfortunately fecked either way.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really glad he got booted out. While the goverment made a mess of it, Novak clearly lied and didn't give two shits about anyone other than himself. After all the lies and then apparent lack of care shown to others while he was positive it would be great to see him blocked from loads of other tournaments as well.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Murray is annoying the heck out of me. He's been handed this game on a platter with his opponent making soooo many unforced errors. His opponent is definitely better but is inconsistent as anything.

wr8_utd

Murray in a 5th set now. Looks like Karatsev and him both suffering from the after effects of playing a final some days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.