Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

The Aussies have to take this back to the judge, because its pretty obvious Novak lied when he stated on the form that he did not travel in the 14 days prior to his arrival.
I‘d say his whole catching every six months to give him a permanent exemption stinks to hell. He 100% should not have been allowed to even get on the plane here, he’s not an Aussie citizen. If the government don’t deport him, then it’ll just give legal challenges to the rules a very firm footing.

Supports
Barcelona

He did travel from Serbia to Spain less than 14 days before travelling to Australia. He said otherwise in the submitted form.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Aussies have to take this back to the judge, because its pretty obvious Novak lied when he stated on the form that he did not travel in the 14 days prior to his arrival.
That boat has sailed but the Minister can still cancel his visa again. Not sure they have the appetite.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Do we have anything more solid than one unverified anonymous Twitter account claiming that is the case?
Even if true who cares? You sign the declaration and part of that is that you confirm you completed the form yourself.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If Aus were going to boot him out, they’d have done it be now - maybe, just maybe, the Aus Govt/authorities are taking their time to double/triple check their facts and not look like they’re blindly rushing into another decision?
Maybe. It could be they are still fighting internally about what to do or it could be that they have made a decision and are waiting to announce it. If they have decided to let him stay (which is more likely than not) they will want to do whatever makes as little fuss as possible, as they will still be thinking they can spin their way out of this mess.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don’t know why people need to spread fake news when there’s enough to dislike him for anyway. :lol:
I think many or even most people here think he probably faked the covid test to get around the rules.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is Novak the only unvaccinated player in Australia at this point?
We don't know. What we do know is that he is the only player relying on previous covid infection as a reason not to be vaccinated. Probably the only person full stop. The rest of us have to be vaccinated.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Fresh submissions from Novak Djokovic’s lawyers are the reason for a delay on the fate of the tennis player’s visa, and, by extension, his prospects to compete in the Australian Open.

The Guardian said:
Fresh submissions from Novak Djokovic’s lawyers are the reason for a delay on the fate of the tennis player’s visa, and, by extension, his prospects to compete in the Australian Open.

A spokesman for the immigration minister, Alex Hawke, said:

"As noted publicly, minister Hawke is considering whether to cancel Mr Djokovic’s visa under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act. Mr Djokovic’s lawyers have recently provided lengthy further submissions and supporting documentation said to be relevant to the possible cancellation of Mr Djokovic’s visa.
Naturally, this will affect the timeframe for a decision."
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...0841d0f6ca7111#block-61de3bd18f0841d0f6ca7111

Ladron de redcafe

What happens if his visa is cancelled after the draw is made? Does anyone happen to know how that might affect the draw?

MattofManchester

Again, I don't understand why he needs to think about it. Djokovics has no grounds to stay in the country, so should have been gone already.

What a fiasco.

Kopral Jono

A good video on the dark side of wellness culture. I lost a very close friend (who happened to be a schoolboy athlete way back in the days for what it's worth) to new-age lunacy so this hits close to home.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’ve seen enough episodes of Border Security: Australia’s Front Line to know that this excuse is like a red flag to a bull for immigration agents. The form is your responsibility and yours alone, it makes zero difference if someone else filled it out for you!
Border officer: You ticked the box that said you packed the bag yourself. Did you?
Tourist: Yes
Border officer: What about these concealed bags of white powder and these 4 rhino horns?
Tourist: No my new friend packed those when he gave me this nice new free bag at the airport.
Border Office: #$@####$%

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He’s admitting breaking isolation rules while positive

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59935127

This must surely influence the Australian decision ?
Maybe if you can tie that to the reason the visa is cancelled in the event that it is.

You would think that cancellation now would be in the grounds of public health. That him being unvaxxed puts him at a higher risk of infection and past behaviour suggest at best a cavalier attitude if he does get infected might just fly. On the other hand he is just one person in an Omicron outbreak. I'd be surprised if they get rid of him just for the box tick thing - that boats has sailed imo.

Rooney24

Maybe if you can tie that to the reason the visa is cancelled in the event that it is.

You would think that cancellation now would be in the grounds of public health. That him being unvaxxed puts him at a higher risk of infection and past behaviour suggest at best a cavalier attitude if he does get infected might just fly. On the other hand he is just one person in an Omicron outbreak. I'd be surprised if they get rid of him just for the box tick thing - that boats has sailed imo.
Yeah but If he is clearly willing to break the rules in his own country, among his fellow Serbs, one could assume he won’t be too bothered about doing the same in Australia.

He should 100% be booted.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah but If he is clearly willing to break the rules in his own country, among his fellow Serbs, one could assume he won’t be too bothered about doing the same in Australia.

He should 100% be booted.
I'd love him gone. Just because he is an anti-vax covidiot who is laughing at the rules we have to follow and the sacrifices we made to keep us all safe if nothing else.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
There is factional infighting going on in the libs hq about this.

If Novak plays they are soft on borders (a tory speciality) and if he is kicked out it makes them look stupid (again a tory speciality)

Its a lose/lose situation, and add in that one of their media backers in 9/fairfax would want Novak to play it is a situation that scotty from marketing and the rest of the libs do not want to be in.
:lol:The world over.

wr8_utd

:'(

On Dec. 17, he said, as he was awaiting his P.C.R. result, he attended a tennis event in Belgrade, the Serbian capital, where he presented awards to children. He said that his P.C.R. test did not come back positive until after that event.

“I felt obliged to go ahead and conduct the L’Equipe interview as I didn’t want to let the journalist down, but did ensure I socially distanced and wore a mask except when my photograph was taken,” Mr. Djokovic said.

“While I went home after the interview to isolate for the required period, on reflection, this was an error of judgment and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment,” he added.
Find it very hard to believe he didn't know about his test result on the 17th. Also admitting that he went ahead and did the interview and photoshoot on the 18th after knowing he's positive...

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Border officer: You ticked the box that said you packed the bag yourself. Did you?
Tourist: Yes
Border officer: What about these concealed bags of white powder and these 4 rhino horns?
Tourist: No my new friend packed those when he gave me this nice new free bag at the airport.
Border Office: #$@####$%
:lol: every time.

I can’t believe the sheer arrogance and narcissism on display with his excuses. “My agent is very sorry to have made a mistake filling out a section on my forms”.

Find it very hard to believe he didn't know about his test result on the 17th. Also admitting that he went ahead and did the interview and photoshoot on the 18th after knowing he's positive...
He knew he took a test on the 16th. He went and hung out with kids massless on the 17th. Whether he knew the result of that test ok not by then is immaterial, you should assume you are positive until proven otherwise.

wr8_utd

:'(
:lol: every time.

I can’t believe the sheer arrogance and narcissism on display with his excuses. “My agent is very sorry to have made a mistake filling out a section on my forms”.

He knew he took a test on the 16th. He went and hung out with kids massless on the 17th. Whether he knew the result of that test ok not by then is immaterial, you should assume you are positive until proven otherwise.
Yup, I agree but it's Novak we're talking about here. Even assuming that he didn't get his result on the 17th (which I find hard to believe), seeing his casual attitude towards giving the interview on the 18th, I would not be surprised if knew he was positive even on the 16th (assuming the RT PCR isn't fake ofcourse). However, even by Novak's standards, surely he'd have known the backlash IF he was indeed positive and he met those kids. You'd think he'd be smarter than that.

Denis79

I think many or even most people here think he probably faked the covid test to get around the rules.
Give me 100 Euros and I'll get you a genuine paper saying you're covid positive here in Serbia. Of course he faked it.

Still better than him thinking he might have it and then going around hugging children.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Give me 100 Euros and I'll get you a genuine paper saying you're covid positive here in Serbia. Of course he faked it.

Still better than him thinking he might have it and then going around hugging children.
Morally, yes, but not with regards to his claim to stay in the country.

Denis79

Morally, yes, but not with regards to his claim to stay in the country.
Yup, hopefully he's thrown out and they ban him for a few years too. Can't stand anti-vaxxers. You have zero consideration for others? I'll have zero consideration for you.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yup, hopefully he's thrown out and they ban him for a few years too. Can't stand anti-vaxxers. You have zero consideration for others? I'll have zero consideration for you.
Totally agreed. Such a shame that such a brilliant sportsman is an utter cock.

Brophs

The One and Only
His explanations are unconvincing, at best. Not that it’ll probably matter.

Brophs

The One and Only
Increasingly, though it looks like Border Force has messed up a pretty straightforward case as regards the exemption, at least in the sense that the Australian government had decided, even if only latterly, that anyone with an exemption of that nature wouldn’t be admitted. The defects in the detention and interview process will probably be what remedies a pretty iffy basis for entry.

I suspect that if the procedural aspect as regards his detention or interview hadn’t been so overly ballsed up by Borderforce, that he would’ve already been sent home. The PR losses suffered when the details and the transcripts were released means that they probably now can’t deport him without looking vindictive and vexatious.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Totally agreed. Such a shame that such a brilliant sportsman is an utter cock.
The funny thing is, he is actually not a total disaster. I did find his way to kind of reconcile with Croatia quite good. At the same time he is meeting some serbian ultra-nationalists.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Went to an interview whilst knowing he was positive. Utterly negligent and surely even criminal?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Surely Australia has a case here. Though he failed to stick to protocols in a different country I'd be surprised if they couldn't use that as evidence that he's a person who has disregard for the rules in one of the few countries that has consistently tried to stick to very regimented covid rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.