Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

Quite a similar situation to Covid in 2020 for Nadal isn't it?
He had no practice since the AO then, lost to Schwartzmann in Rome. Went on to win RG.

Now, gets Madrid and Rome to prep before he goes into RG.
As long as he's fit, he probably wins this, even when not in best form.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Murray vs Djokovic

what a blast from the past this is. Murray making it past Thiem and Shapovalov was a nice surprise.

Jev

Murray vs Djokovic

what a blast from the past this is. Murray making it past Thiem and Shapovalov was a nice surprise.
Surely the most promising tournament so far from Murray? We won't see him anywhere near the top again but nice to see he can still compete with strong players on his day.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Surely the most promising tournament so far from Murray? We won't see him anywhere near the top again but nice to see he can still compete with strong players on his day.
I think so. Even though he reached the final of the Sydney Classic in January, I don't think he looked as good there as here. Maybe the clay surface has helped?

Also, has anyone got a better h2h record than Djokovic's over Monfils? 18-0!

saivet

I think so. Even though he reached the final of the Sydney Classic in January, I don't think he looked as good there as here. Maybe the clay surface has helped?

Also, has anyone got a better h2h record than Djokovic's over Monfils? 18-0!
The funny thing about Murray is that's he's skipping RG and only playing in Madrid to get some matches under his belt.

Saw a post from TennisTV and believe it is the most dominant men's H2H. Nadal has 17-0 over Gasquet and Federer has 17-0 over Ferrer. There was Borg and someone else with a 17-0 H2H too iirc

saivet

Looks like we will get Nadal vs Djokovic tomorrow.

Nadal may have still come back to win but Alcaraz was on top and I'd have fancied him to get the win before he hurt his ankle.

Djokovic looks to be in good form, so will be a real test to see where Nadal is at. I think for Djokovic's hopes at RG he needs to win tomorrow.

Supports
Barcelona
If he stays healthy and well, and manages to play for like 20 years or so, he can beat the Big 3 records. Too early I know, but this isn't hype. Man has got an insane arsenal of shots, a quick mind to choose from it, not to mention Federer's attack (not his artistic style though), Djoker's defense and Nadal's never-die-attitude. Bless him!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Alcaraz and Djokovic having a classic right now. Almost every game going to duece in the decider. 5-5 in the third currently

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Only Federer has ever kept me from a United match - now young Alcaraz, What a match. What a result against Novak!

This kid is going to be great great..

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s the surest thing I’ve seen since Nadal. Almost every facet of his game is developing at warp speed. In a sort of perverse way, I’m most interested to see what he does at Wimbledon. Could he be a genuine all court player? There’ll be guys in the chasing pack: Tsitsipas, Zverev, Berrettini, who probably felt they’d be the next cab off the rank. I think this guy might end up leapfrogging them all.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He’s the surest thing I’ve seen since Nadal. Almost every facet of his game is developing at warp speed. In a sort of perverse way, I’m most interested to see what he does at Wimbledon. Could he be a genuine all court player? There’ll be guys in the chasing pack: Tsitsipas, Zverev, Berrettini, who probably felt they’d be the next cab off the rank. I think this guy might end up leapfrogging them all.
I think he’s got what it takes to be a real
dominant force on all courts. The most exciting breakthrough from a young player for years.

Supports
Barcelona
He's probably winning a GS this year, if not more than one. This is the most promising player since the Big 3. I know it's been said of several players ove the years, but this kid is different. He will finish the reign of the Big 3, bar health issues or injuries of course.

saivet

He's probably winning a GS this year, if not more than one. This is the most promising player since the Big 3. I know it's been said of several players ove the years, but this kid is different. He will finish the reign of the Big 3, bar health issues or injuries of course.
Yeah there was something about the likes of Tsitsipas and Zverev breaking through but this feels very different. Like someone said, most intrigued to see how he gets on at Wimbledon this year. No expectations but simply intrigued.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Clay is more or less assured. It's probably what he has trained the most, throughout his life (Ferrero is also his coach).
I guess he has to perfect some characteristic that can make him different, like for example Nadal's top spin or the way he slides on the clay.
Nadal also commented about him that he is different, but that he plays too much depending on his moods, alluding to the slump he had in the second set.
Carlitos also said that he has to improve on hard court, although in an interview in Miami he said it was his favourite surface.

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah there was something about the likes of Tsitsipas and Zverev breaking through but this feels very different. Like someone said, most intrigued to see how he gets on at Wimbledon this year. No expectations but simply intrigued.
Wimbeldon might be the most difficult to win just 'cause Grass is the shortest season so there is little time to prepare or to gain experience in a single year for any young player. But for me he's a serious contender for both RG and the US open.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wow he took out both Nadal and Djokovic. Finally tennis might have a genuine top player from the new generation. Long overdue.

saivet

Wimbeldon might be the most difficult to win just 'cause Grass is the shortest season so there is little time to prepare or to gain experience in a single year for any young player. But for me he's a serious contender for both RG and the US open.
Yeah it will tough for him but there is a lack of depth of quality on grass on the mens side. With Berretini injured, I'd be shocked if anyone but Djokovic wins Wimbledon and barring that it's probably Nadal.

For the young players, cracking grass might be the best chance for success in the future given most are comfortable on hard and clay already.

Jazz

Young Carlito doing well so far against Zverev. First set and he's already a break up.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am excited for this new kid Alcaraz, looks like another big star in the making.

Jazz

Rusedski just said in commentary that he's a combo of Roger and Nadal. I agree with that.
Can't wait to watch his journey. Exciting!

Jazz

I am excited for this new kid Alcaraz, looks like another big star in the making.
As long as he keeps his focus and doesn't pick up too many injuries, he should achieve great things.

Interested to see how Zverev adjusts' his game in the second set.

Jev

Gave away three points in his own serve in that set. Cruise control. He'll be a slam winner before the end of the year.

saivet

The most impressive thing about Alcaraz is how complete his game is. He doesn't have the strongest serve right now (which will no doubt improve) but he's good off both wings on the offensive and defensive. Excellent at drop shots, good at the net.

Don't think Zverev playing a long match so late last night helped him mind you.

wr8_utd

:'(
Wow he took out both Nadal and Djokovic. Finally tennis might have a genuine top player from the new generation. Long overdue.
As good as he is, Nadal and Djokovic are very beatable at Masters these days. They only bring their best at The Slams.

Jazz

What a beat down for Sasha. In any case, interested to see how he does now in best of 5 sets.

Congrats to the kid. Amazing tournament from him.

Jazz

Love that F1 style celebration from Carlos and Sascha :lol:

Dan_F

What is Raducanu doing playing at the moment. Surely she needs to rest and figure out what is going on with these injuries. I know it’s not been the same injury all the time but she can’t make it few a couple of matches without retiring.

I’m assuming she does have a big support team but with the coach changes and injuries, it’s a bit of a bizarre period since the US Open.

wr8_utd

Watching Nadal struggle for a second year in a row vs Shapo at Rome, I can't see him doing anything at RG again this year. This season was going so well till he stupidly decided to continue playing on vs Alcaraz and then play that final at Indian Wells with his injury. Could really disrupt have implications for the rest of his season.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Watching Nadal struggle for a second year in a row vs Shapo at Rome, I can't see him doing anything at RG again this year. This season was going so well till he stupidly decided to continue playing on vs Alcaraz and then play that final at Indian Wells with his injury. Could really disrupt have implications for the rest of his season.
He seems to be struggling physically again now. Not sure if it makes sense to go on here.

saivet

Looks like the issue with his foot has flared up again which is a big shame. Given it can't be fixed, it's worry if it keeps him out for even longer as what hope does he have of coming back?

wr8_utd

He seems to be struggling physically again now. Not sure if it makes sense to go on here.
He's not at the age anymore where he should be playing on with injury. It may be admirable to not retire but it's not worth it when it's doing you damage.

Looks like the issue with his foot has flared up again which is a big shame. Given it can't be fixed, it's worry if it keeps him out for even longer as what hope does he have of coming back?
I was worried that he missed Barcelona and MC with the earlier injury and at this point, I really have no hope. The loss in Madrid was fine given those aren't ideal clay conditions but Rome really is as close as it gets to RG. He's been poor and now maybe even injured again. Nadal's only hope of staying ahead in the Slam race is Carlos and immigration authorities.

saivet

I was worried that he missed Barcelona and MC with the earlier injury and at this point, I really have no hope. The loss in Madrid was fine given those aren't ideal clay conditions but Rome really is as close as it gets to RG. He's been poor and now maybe even injured again. Nadal's only hope of staying ahead in the Slam race is Carlos and immigration authorities.
I still wanted to see him against Djokovic here. If he was competitive I'd have had his as favorite from RG even if he lost. At this point, question marks over whether he'll even compete.

Does feel like Carlos is the real threat but I also wouldn't rule out Tsitsipas either, though you feel he would have to be in the opposite half to those two.

wr8_utd

I still wanted to see him against Djokovic here. If he was competitive I'd have had his as favorite from RG even if he lost. At this point, question marks over whether he'll even compete.

Does feel like Carlos is the real threat but I also wouldn't rule out Tsitsipas either, though you feel he would have to be in the opposite half to those two.
I thought beating Djokovic in Rome last year may have helped but he collapsed in the RG semi-final. The positive thing about RG is that Nadal doesn't have to play daily because it's fairly evident his body just can't handle that anymore and he's really started to struggle at Masters but his level is just too poor this season (limited clay season) even without this latest injury, to have him as favorite. Novak, who was poor even in Serbia, is now back to playing good tennis so it's definitely going to be him or Carlos imo. Maybe Tsitsipas can also upset the two of them.

MattofManchester

Starting to look like the beginning of the end for Rafa. If it's flared up again, its likely going to be recommended that he retires for his foot's long term health.

It would be a really sad way to end off.

wr8_utd

Starting to look like the beginning of the end for Rafa. If it's flared up again, its likely going to be recommended that he retires for his foot's long term health.

It would be a really sad way to end off.
I can honestly see him and Federer both retiring at the end of this season. Rafa is often said if he feels uncompetitive because of his body giving up, he will need to assess his options. Maybe things will improve again but if he doesn't figure a way out, I don't see him playing tennis for too much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.