Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Ruud needs to beat Hurkacz
Tstistipas needs to beat Rune
Rublev needs to beat Sinner; and
Medvedev needs to beat Cilic

Fair chance it happens but imagine one or two may slip up, with my guess being one of Ruud or Rublev if any. Pretty cool if it happens though.

wr8_utd

:'(
Novak has not been playing with conviction so far himself if you have watched him this RG. I think the match is perfectly balanced and I would even favor Nadal after today’s game as he’s definitely feeling it even if he has his downs now too. Anyway, I still see Carlitos running away with it this year.
Whenever I've watched Novak since Madrid, he's looked really good. I'll be delighted if Rafa manages to beat Novak but I just don't see it to be honest. It also feels like the more physical matches get for him now, the more his foot gives way.

As for Alcaraz, I still don't think he'll win the title.

wr8_utd

Ruud needs to beat Hurkacz
Tstistipas needs to beat Rune
Rublev needs to beat Sinner; and
Medvedev needs to beat Cilic

Fair chance it happens but imagine one or two may slip up, with my guess being one of Ruud or Rublev if any. Pretty cool if it happens though.
I think Ruud will win comfortably enough but I agree with Rublev. Also, every time you look at that half of the draw, it just never ceases to amaze at just how lopsided this draw was. 4 of the 5 best clay players in the Rafa/Novak half is crazy.

saivet

Tsitsipas out to Rune. Despite winning Monte Carlo it's felt a really underwhelming clay court season for him this year. Didn't catch much of the match but will have to keep an eye out for Rune.

Last edited:

Zen

Alcaraz isn't on his debut.

Danlil gonna fluke a final due to lovely draw ain't he?

saivet

Who would cause Djokovic, Nadal or Alcaraz the biggest problems in the final? He lacks clay court pedigree but I think I'd have to go with Medvedev.

Feel the likes of Rublev, Sinner, Ruud and Cilic are too one dimensional and don't have a good enough A game to trouble those guys on form.

Jev

Who would cause Djokovic, Nadal or Alcaraz the biggest problems in the final? He lacks clay court pedigree but I think I'd have to go with Medvedev.

Feel the likes of Rublev, Sinner, Ruud and Cilic are too one dimensional and don't have a good enough A game to trouble those guys on form.
I'm biased (Danish) but Rune is looking red hot. Wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the final (and lose).

saivet

And then she just hammers her. Swiatek is quite the dominant player.
Didn't see the final set but Zhang had some kind or issue and took a MTO in the second. She's still a strong favorite but I think she can be troubled as her level has dropped in the past two rounds.

wr8_utd

Did you really go with that? The man is awful and pretty ineffective on clay and showed that again today. Hammered by Cilic. With Tsitsipas out, there's no one in that half who will put up much of a fight in the final so Nadal/Novak vs Carlos is pretty much the final.

saivet

Did you really go with that? The man is awful and pretty ineffective on clay and showed that again today. Hammered by Cilic. With Tsitsipas out, there's no one in that half who will put up much of a fight in the final so Nadal/Novak vs Carlos is pretty much the final.
I don't think any of them would provide a test for those guys on clay (including Medvedev) and Medvedev would potentially be the one who would have the best chance, largely due to his pedigree on hard court and general experience at the top level.

I think the one hope for the finalist on this side is that one of those guys would be they may tire themselves out physically and mentally.

But yeah the SF will be the virtual final I believe in any case.

Brophs

The One and Only
You can only get away with trying to play a hard court game on a clay court for so long. Even to the untrained eye, Medvedev is running into shots rather than sliding into them properly and it absolutely kills him. And those flat shots just don't get it done on clay.

wr8_utd

I don't think any of them would provide a test for those guys on clay (including Medvedev) and Medvedev would potentially be the one who would have the best chance, largely due to his pedigree on hard court and general experience at the top level.

I think the one hope for the finalist on this side is that one of those guys would be they may tire themselves out physically and mentally.

But yeah the SF will be the virtual final I believe in any case.
I honestly never hold out any hope for Medvedev at either Clay or Grass so in terms of a great draw, I always find myself hoping Rafa ends up in his half at RG and Wimbledon. Just never happens though.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I hope Alcaraz wins it all. I was going to say that in addition to wanting him to get his job done and beat Zverev (no guarantee there of course and it's surely will be tougher than the Madrid final was), I would like Djokovic and Nadal to really tire each other out in their QF. But then again the semis would be on Friday, so the winner of that would have enough to recover anyway.

I've never gotten excited about Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas etc., finding them all bland to watch. Zverev and Tsitsipas have always seemed incredibly unlikeable to me as well. Alcaraz on the other hand I do find very exciting to watch.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I hope Alcarez gets destroyed by Djokovic or Nadal and puts a dampener on the giddiness here.

Brophs

The One and Only
Cannot wait for tonight. Albeit I suspect Djokovic might give him a proper doing, so it might not be the match we want.

saivet

Really happy for Gauff! A big opportunity for her to make the RG final.

Trevisan won their only previous match at RG in 2020 though.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Alcaraz is down a break against Zverev in the first. I'm not able to watch the match but it's a bit surprising. Not that the match was gonna be as easy as their previous meeting was, but I still expect Alcaraz to beat him. Let's wait and see.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Alcaraz out gunned right now. Needs more variety and to get Zverev moving . Still a long way to go in the match. Zverev takes set 1

Jev

Zverev not troubled at all on his serve. Alcaraz took just two points in Zverev's last four service games. Hmm.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I hope Alcarez gets destroyed by Djokovic or Nadal and puts a dampener on the giddiness here.
How boring watching the same people win stuff year on year (unless you're a fan of one of them course)

Anyway seems you've got your wish.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If Zverev plays like this he is a problem for anyone. That first serve and backhand is nasty.

Jev

Alcaraz takes the set after saving a tiny match point in his serve at 4-4. Still think Zverev looks more likely to win but this could be the momentum swing Alcaraz needed.

mav_9me

I haven't kept up with Tennis for a while, getting back into it now. Has there been anyone who plays as many drop shots as Alcaraz?

Status
Not open for further replies.