Tennis 2023

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Yessssss 22 for Djokooooooooooo. Grand Slam leader by the end of the year. Skips two grand slams because he's stupid and still easily catches up.

Bole Top

22 without playing AO and UO last year. he'll have 3 or 4 more slams than Nadal I believe.

Ladron de redcafe

Wasn't a great performance by either but Novak even at this age is still better than the "next gen". Ties Nadal with 22 and has a real chance to surpass him this year.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Nasal’s 22 still remains more impressive given Nadal was up against Federer peak, dealt with significant injuries and his favoured court surface has only 1/4 slams a year.

Ladron de redcafe

Nasal’s 22 still remains more impressive given Nadal was up against Federer peak, dealt with significant injuries and his favoured court surface has only 1/4 slams a year.
Not sure I subscribe to the view that dealing with injuries is a tie breaker when talking about the slam count. I can see the argument about level of competition faced en route to the 22 and, yes, Rafael Nadal has almost inarguably faced better competition than Novak.

But the latter is still playing and seems odds on to break the all time mark. Which would make this discussion futile.

ExoduS

Thrilled by the result but disappointed by Novak's performance. Expected masterclass alas 2019 final but that didn't happen. He was nervous and tight entire match and still managed to win with 65% level. Congrats to Tsitsipas for amazing tournament. I wish him to win every slam Djokovic can't play or loses before playing him.

AshRK

That's bs. Djockovic went against both peak nadal and federer. I love nadal but he was lucky covid happened and djock was banned.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Thrilled by the result but disappointed by Novak's performance. Expected masterclass alas 2019 final but that didn't happen. He was nervous and tight entire match and still managed to win with 65% level. Congrats to Tsitsipas for amazing tournament. I wish him to win every slam Djokovic can't play or loses before playing him.
Mate… Stop trolling us while faking an interest for the game… it’s pathetic (and condescending). :wenger:

Doracle

Not sure I subscribe to the view that dealing with injuries is a tie breaker when talking about the slam count. I can see the argument about level of competition faced en route to the 22 and, yes, Rafael Nadal has almost inarguably faced better competition than Novak.

But the latter is still playing and seems odds on to break the all time mark. Which would make this discussion futile.
Given that they are very similar in age, presumably the “inarguably better competition” Nadal has faced is because he has faced Novak, whereas Novak has had the slightly easier task of facing Nadal? Not sure how that counts in Rafa’s favour but fair play for trying to make that argument.

Kazi

There is an argument to be made that Covid/vaccine was just the mental push Novak needed to truly set himself apart from the others in terms of grand slams hehe

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
There is an argument to be made that Covid/vaccine was just the mental push Novak needed to truly set himself apart from the others in terms of grand slams hehe
No it isn't, hehe.

Bole Top

That's bs. Djockovic went against both peak nadal and federer. I love nadal but he was lucky covid happened and djock was banned.
plus, Nadal has zero tour finals titles in his whole career. more important fact than the competition/surface debate.

ExoduS

Mate… Stop trolling us while faking an interest for the game… it’s pathetic (and condescending). :wenger:
I'm no expert in tennis by any means but I watch tennis since 1990s. Watched Novak since 2007. What do you disagree with? That Novak level was 65%? Alright, maybe 70%. Maybe. Still think average level of his game was poor for the final.

Zen

How can Nadal have faced 'better competition' than Djokovic.... they are genuinely the same age :lol:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I'm no expert in tennis by any means but I watch tennis since 1990s. Watched Novak since 2007. What do you disagree with? That Novak level was 65%? Alright, maybe 70%. Maybe. Still think average level of his game was poor for the final.
No need to be cheesy and worry (…) for that despicable Tsitsi cnut. :lol: He had his chances, even one set point to go 1-1… a real make-or-break moment in his career, yet he melted again. And Djoko is 35yo, ffs, we will never see peak him again.

ExoduS

No need to be cheesy and worry (…) for that despicable Tsitsi cnut. :lol: He had his chances, even one set point to go 1-1… a real make-or-break moment in his career, yet he melted again. And Djoko is 35yo, ffs, we will never see peak him again.
Well that is the truth I'm in denial about. 35 is new 25, no?

Zen

Djokovic probably coming out of this tournament thinking he can comfortably go until he's 40..... that middle generation is going to start dropping their efforts soon as they are getting lost in the shuffle and don't have massive legacies to continue fighting for, Zverev seems like he's already given up, Thiems got a broken body, and Danlil was broken by Nadal.

Rajma

That was a very nervy affair from both players, couldn’t bring their best game as a result. Novak looked more relieved than happy winning it, I think he badly didn’t want to still be trailing Nadal in Slam count going into RG, also considering he missed 2 last year and US Open this year still a question mark for him was playing into this.

Zen

Yep same age, same generation, same competition at same level to contend with, so no excuse. Thanks for the back up.

If anything it works in Novaks favour being a late(r) bloomer against already set serial winners.

ExoduS

Djokovic is in every way better tennis player than Nadal except ofcourse clay. Nadal can't even compete on indoor hard courts as they are too quick for him. Djokovic is competent on all tennis courts.

Fts 74

Cant stand the bloke but Fair play to him, he's gonna win at least 5 more as there is no one to challenge him and that's sad for mens tennis.

Vernon Philander

What a legend of the sport, thoroughly deserved. Keeps going up against the critics and coming out a winner. He's been robbed of at least 3 slams where he was favourite and still ties with Nadal.

Coxy

What a legend of the sport, thoroughly deserved. Keeps going up against the critics and coming out a winner. He's been robbed of at least 3 slams where he was favourite and still ties with Nadal.
Sorry I’m ignorant - but robbed of slams? How was he robbed?