Tennis 2023

Fts 74

The 2 last year he was blocked from entering and the other US Open where he got disqualified for inadvertently hitting a line referee
Not robbed he hit a line judge with a ball everyone knows that's a disqualification.

He didn't have the vaccine, his choice but he knew the rules didn't stop him trying to bend them though.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The records Djokovic will want to break before he's done:

Courts grand slam tally
Grafs weeks at number 1
Federer 8 Wimbledon
And break the tie with fed for the year end championship.

Also probably Conors 110 titles.

I'd say above 50% chance he breaks all those records.

Rajma

The records Djokovic will want to break before he's done:

Courts grand slam tally
Grafs weeks at number 1
Federer 8 Wimbledon
And break the tie with fed for the year end championship.

Also probably Conors 110 titles.

I'd say above 50% chance he breaks all those records.
I would add a golden medal at Olympics next summer to the list.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
While I greatly respect what Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have all achieved, I still think the fact that only 2 men's singles grand slams have been won by players born during the 90s, the 2020 and 2021 US Opens (and Djokovic would have stood a very good chance of winning in 2020 had he not got himself defaulted), is disappointing and quite frankly embarrassing.

Before Thiem won his US Open title in 2020, no living man under the age of 31 had won a singles grand slam title. I know trends in sports, sports science and medicine, recovery, nutrition, plus the removal of best of 5 set matches in other tournament finals and the Davis Cup, inevitably meant that players competing for grand slam titles, occupying the top spots in the rankings would get older, still that was an extreme shift.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
While I greatly respect what Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have all achieved, I still think the fact that only 2 men's singles grand slams have been won by players born during the 90s, the 2020 and 2021 US Opens (and Djokovic would have stood a very good chance of winning in 2020 had he not got himself defaulted), is disappointing and quite frankly embarrassing.

Before Thiem won his US Open title in 2020, no living man under the age of 31 had won a singles grand slam title. I know trends in sports, sports science and medicine, recovery, nutrition, plus the removal of best of 5 set matches in other tournament finals and the Davis Cup, inevitably meant that players competing for grand slam titles, occupying the top spots in the rankings would get older, still that was an extreme shift.
Lebron made 8-9 finals in a row in the NBA, Brady something similar in the NFL, because of Michael Jordan people like Malone,Barkley, Ewing, Stockton never won a title. Part of the deal with greatness is less opportunities for the others to win things, that probably gets more magnified in individual sports.

Having said that I agree it's disappointing and a little embarrassing but the likes of Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev still have years left at the top level and could easily get one or two slams each. Alcaraz, Sinner, FAA and that generation have a decade plus left and will certainly win slams.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Lebron made 8-9 finals in a row in the NBA, Brady something similar in the NFL, because of Michael Jordan people like Malone,Barkley, Ewing, Stockton never won a title. Part of the deal with greatness is less opportunities for the others to win things, that probably gets more magnified in individual sports.

Having said that I agree it's disappointing and a little embarrassing but the likes of Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev still have years left at the top level and could easily get one or two slams each. Alcaraz, Sinner, FAA and that generation have a decade plus left and will certainly win slams.
For me the issue is Djokovic and Nadal understandably declining noticeably with age, but still continuing to rack up grand slam titles at an insane rate, or in some cases actually speeding up. Djokovic has won 10 grand slams in his 30s compared to 12 in his 20s. While he is still of course a phenomenal player nowadays, I think he was clearly a better player during his mid to late 20s (I don't think it's close there), with his absolute peak level in 2011 (even ahead of 2015 which was statistically a better season for him).

Similarly Nadal's absolute peak level was in 2008 closely followed by 2010. The 25 year old Nadal that lost to Djokovic in the 2012 Australian Open final was clearly (to me) and understandably a far better player than the 35 year old Nadal that won the title in Melbourne last year.

That does highlight to me that the level of competition has simply significantly weakened. I was saying previously that last year when I stumbled across a YouTube documentary re the wonderfully exciting 1992 US Open, that I strongly doubted that there was better depth in the ATP top 100 in 2022 than there was 30 years earlier in back in 1992, in-fact I'd say very much the opposite.

I do think that generally the 80s born players / supporting cast were ultimately just far better than the 90s born successors (they certainly played with more variety as more members of the 90s group play bland academy style tennis). What hammered that home to me, was the fact that it took the players born in the 90s seemingly an eternity to overtake the likes of Ferrer and Berdych.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
For me the issue is Djokovic and Nadal understandably declining noticeably with age, but still continuing to rack up grand slam titles at an insane rate, or in some cases actually speeding up. Djokovic has won 10 grand slams in his 30s compared to 12 in his 20s. While he is still of course a phenomenal player nowadays, I think he was clearly a better player during his mid to late 20s (I don't think it's close there), with his absolute peak level in 2011 (even ahead of 2015 which was statistically a better season for him).

Similarly Nadal's absolute peak level was in 2008 closely followed by 2010. The 25 year old Nadal that lost to Djokovic in the 2012 Australian Open final was clearly (to me) and understandably a far better player than the 35 year old Nadal that won the title in Melbourne last year.

That does highlight to me that the level of competition has simply significantly weakened. I was saying previously that last year when I stumbled across a YouTube documentary re the wonderfully exciting 1992 US Open, that I strongly doubted that there was better depth in the ATP top 100 in 2022 than there was 30 years earlier in back in 1992, in-fact I'd say very much the opposite.

I do think that generally the 80s born players / supporting cast were ultimately just far better than the 90s born successors (they certainly played with more variety as more members of the 90s group play bland academy style tennis). What hammered that home to me, was the fact that it took the players born in the 90s seemingly an eternity to overtake the likes of Ferrer and Berdych.
The top 100 today would absolutely shit on the top 100 in 1992. It might get close in the 1-20 range but comparing the 30-100 ranked players between the two groups i'd take the current generation everytime.

Just for fun i'll compare the lower seeds at a couple random tournaments. Let's take 1995 us open and 2020 Australian open:

Thing is back then they only had 16 seeds as opposed to 32 now
So for the seeds 10 to 16 we have:

Wayne Ferreira (first round)
Sergi Bruguera (second round)
Richard Krajicek (third round)
Marc Rosset (fourth round)
Jim Courier (semifinalist)
Todd Martin (fourth round)
Andrei Medvedev (second round)

Gaël Monfils (fourth round)
David Goffin (third round)
Fabio Fognini (fourth round)
Denis Shapovalov (first round)
Diego Schwartzman (fourth round)
Stan Wawrinka (quarterfinals)
Karen Khachanov (third round)

I think the oldies take 1 or 2 matches, 3 at best.

Bole Top

younger players seem to be less dedicated although I have no argument for that. I simply don't see fire in them. it's probably the same old debate we have in football - too much too soon. so what exactly are they chasing? records? they won't touch them anyway and they know it. money? they already live and behave like they're on top of the world. they aren't even that young actually :lol: Tsitsi and Zverev will turn 25/26 in couple of months yet I can't shake the feeling I'm looking at 18 years old boys. not to mention Nick. I genuinely believe they would sleep just fine even if they never win a single GS. they probably think the old farts will soon retire anyway so they can just wait for that.

both Nadal and Novak drew motivation through their rivalry while also chasing Fed. and when I look at what Murray and Del Potro were going through with all the injuries yet they were determined to return at any cost... I bet half of this younger players would have been retired already. it's just an impression of course.

Zen

The top 100 today would absolutely shit on the top 100 in 1992. It might get close in the 1-20 range but comparing the 30-100 ranked players between the two groups i'd take the current generation everytime.

Just for fun i'll compare the lower seeds at a couple random tournaments. Let's take 1995 us open and 2020 Australian open:

You can't compare cross-generations like this.... since in almost every sport, in a direct game, the newer generation will always win. By default of being more modern.

I'm also not sure what the basis outside of that is for being more favoured to the modern seeds you choose. Sergi and Courier are multiple Slam winners, Kraijcek a winner, Martin/Medvedev were finalists..... vs 3 Wins/4 Finals all from one player. If you removed Rosset and Wawrinka... it'd be a landslide to the oldies.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Adjusting for conditions and racket technology, I'd heavily favour those 'oldies' in most of the match-ups against the newer breed, and I think it would be pretty convincing overall. I've seen a decent amount of coverage of all them play including Rosset when he won the Olympic gold medal in Barcelona in 1992 with best of 5 set matches in every round (when he thrashed Courier in the quarter-finals), Krajicek's insane performances when he won the 1998 Stuttgart Masters beating Norman, Agassi, Ivanisevic, Sampras and Kafelnikov, Martin when he very impressively held his own from the baseline vs. Agassi in the 1999 US Open final etc.

The only major advantage that the newer breed have is more powerful rackets with poly strings which make it easier to generate topspin and keep in the ball for longer when hitting from the baseline (advances in racket technology slowed down considerably after the mid-00s. Sergi Bruguera who generated insane topspin with his 'old' racket would be pretty formidable with polystrings (I'd give him a pretty good chance of taking down Federer and Djokovic in their primes at RG), especially his inside out forehand. Krajicek's already devastating serve would be even more devastating with modern day rackets, and his ability from the baseline would only be enhanced.

More variety doesn't always mean better, but the fact that there were far more lower ranked players with 'unorthodox' styles, flashy shotmakers etc. added to the challenge and depth IMO . Lower ranked players these days, though people like Max Cressy are a welcome exception, largely player inferior 'cookie cutter' versions of a similar brand of tennis compared to the top level players. At that 1992 US Open which I talked about earlier, Courier had to adapt to playing Chesnokov then Pioline, then McEnroe, then Agassi then Sampras without reaching the final, all elite players with noticeably different playing styles (Sampras was very much an all-courter away from Wimbledon at the time) - it's safe to say that challenge has been reduced considerably with heavily homogenised conditions.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Good post and perhaps I'm wrong. I agree the lack of variety makes things less interesting

ChrisNelson

Dan Evans making hard work of the first rubber in the Colombia v GB Davis Cup tie.

Mind you I imagine there are much easier places to play than Bogotá even if their top ranked player (even he’s in the 80s) has pulled out.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Great battle in the final between Medvedev and Sinner. Had dog money on the young gun but he ran out of juice by the end. Medvedev made a grind it out battle and out fought and thought him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Berretini getting smoked by Rune in Acapulco. Djoko vs Medvedev in the Dubai semi will be tasty.

ExoduS

Potentially first loss from Nole. Berrettini wants to lose "better" than his brother Jacopo.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Medvedev vs Rublev final. Djoko made way too many unforced errors but glad to see Medvedev in imperious form once again.

jem

Medvedev vs Rublev final. Djoko made way too many unforced errors but glad to see Medvedev in imperious form once again.
Yeah the ATP could seriously do with an in-form Medvedev at the moment. The only problem is that the next 2 slams (Roland Garros and Wimbledon) are two at which he has typically not performed very well.

Doracle

Murray with another 3 hour win in a random first round match. Got to question at this point if he will ever win a match in straight sets again.

Brophs

The One and Only
Think Draper will beat him to be fair, and in straights.

Nice to see Raducanu getting a few matches under her belt as well.
Murray is exactly the sort of player I could see Draper struggling with. Canning, won't allow him just to tee off and won't mind him into the weeds. I'd take Murray in that one.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Alcaraz regen (less muscles) vs Sinner 2.0 (more muscles) tomorrow in Indian Wells sf 1. With more kids on the block, their 2023 campaign is going to have a much needed check and benchmark.

Brophs

The One and Only
Rybakina is a really good player. She'll win a few more slams if she stays on this trajectory.

Brophs

The One and Only
Medvedev wasn’t at his best last night but Alcaraz’s highest level is already way higher than any active male player other than Djokovic or Nadal. It genuinely seems to me that the only bar to him cleaning up is whether his body will play ball.

Brophs

The One and Only
Also, the other obvious takeaway from last night is that the guys who are returning from the back fence are in bother. Because he’s going to come in and finish points before they’re even in the rally. He has great variety.

Godfather

He's incredible. Hope he'll stay fit and without major injuries as he's a pleasure to watch. No obvious weaknesses either.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I already thought that Alcaraz was a breath of fresh air for the sport in late 2021 - early 2022, before he won his first 'big' title at Miami last year, with his style of play, variety and weaponry, personality etc.

Medvedev is an excellent player and has been on a roll recently, and while he serves well, has reliable groundstrokes, moves well for his height etc., he lacks the ability of Alcaraz to be more 'spontaneous' and show more variety with his patterns of play.

I thought that Alcaraz might struggle with a difficult 'sophomore' year this year, before then rising again and becoming a dominant force, but clearly forget about that he's a man on a mission !

Godfather

Not enough activity in here. Anyone watching Miami? Auger out again and Mannarino is a phenomenon. Plays such a slow game but with great angles and without unnecessary errors. Beat Hurkacz. Alcaraz surely the huge favourite though. Had no problems at all so far.

saivet

mav_9me

This Alcaraz Sinner match is sensational. Level of tennis is unbelievable. If you can't watch the game, definitely watch the highlights.

First set took 1hr 15 or so minutes.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Ok Sinner pretty much there with his tennis & his head, now Medvedev for another benchmark. The next biiig step is winning a Slam, and the sooner the better. FAA, Shapo and Rune are in up there as well, with Korda, De Minaur, Musetti, Fokina a bit behind for now. Pretty excited with all these kids, to be honest!

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The Sinner-Alcaraz SF was a real treat. I hope Sinner beats Medvedev in the final to win his first 'big title', which I also hope would then act as a springboard to grand slam success.

It will be interesting to see how the Alcaraz-Sinner h2h develops.

From Alcaraz's point of view, a title in Buenos Aires, a final in Rio, a title in Indian Wells and semi-final in Miami is an very strong start to the season, and I hope he enjoys a successful European clay court season.

I still wouldn't be at all surprised if Nadal and Djokovic win the next 2 grand slams - despite Nadal's injury troubles he has only lost 3 best of 5 set matches on clay in his entire career (2 of which were against Djokovic), and grass is understandably the surface with the weakest competition - but I really don't want that to happen.

saivet

Ok Sinner pretty much there with his tennis & his head, now Medvedev for another benchmark. The next biiig step is winning a Slam, and the sooner the better. FAA, Shapo and Rune are in up there as well, with Korda, De Minaur, Musetti, Fokina a bit behind for now. Pretty excited with all these kids, to be honest!
I don't think he is to be honest. His game just seems a bit too chaotic and not consistent enough.