Test Cricket Decades Draft R1: Boycott vs NM

Who will win based on all the players on their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Welcome to the Test Cricket Decades Draft Round 1 match up. The two teams will be assessed based on a 3 match test series on the surfaces mentioned below. Only the test performances of the said players will be used for evaluation, no other format has any weight in the match up. The surfaces are:

1. Flat batting pitch with little help for any bowlers.
2. A greentop that aids pace bowling.
3. A slow dustbowl that aids spin bowling.

Please vote for the team that you think will prevail at the end of the series.

Team Boycott

1. Alan Melville
  2. Bob Catterall
  3. Ken Barrington
  4. Neil Harvey
  5. Steve Waugh
  6. Zaheer Abbas
  7. Mark Boucher (WK)
  8. Gubby Allen
  9. John White
  10. Jimmy Anderson
  11. Joel Garner
Openers
Alan Melville - in 11 tests he piled on 894 runs at an average of 52.59 with 3 centuries and 4 half-centuries to his name. In fact when you narrow it down to opening the batting only (12/19 innings), his average goes up to 64.36.

Bob Catterall - in 24 tests he scored 1555 runs at 37.93 with 3 centuries and 11 half-centuries to his name. Admittingly when you narrow it down to opening the batting only (18/43 innings), his average goes down to 27.61, but with 5 half-centuries still.

I am not holding out for my openers to score the bulk of my runs. Catterall despite not having top notch statistics was known to be a very circumspect and hard to budge batsman. He only hit six boundaries in his 43 innings. But he had solid temperament and was named one of Wisden's Cricketers of the Year in 1925. In Melville I do have an opening batsman with the temperament and record to lay on a very firm foundation as evident by his record breaking run of performances against England in 1947:

Melville scored a career-best 189 in the first innings and then, when the South Africans went in wanting 227 to win the match in 140 minutes, he hit an unbeaten 104 in the second innings, though the match remained drawn. Melville's performance set several records: this was the first time a South African batsman had scored two separate hundreds in a Test match; his first innings of 189 was at the time the highest by a South African against England, though Mitchell equalled it and was not out later in the same series; Melville's third-wicket partnership of 319 with vice-captain Dudley Nourse was a record in all Test cricket for that wicket, though beaten by Compton and Edrich for England later in the series, and South Africa's highest for any wicket; the South African total of 533 was the highest against England; and Melville's two centuries meant he had scored three Test centuries in succession, as his final innings in 1938–39 had been 103.

Melville was not finished with record-setting, however. In the next Test at Lord's, with the South Africans facing a huge England total, he scored yet another century, 117, to equal the record of four consecutive Test centuries set by Jack Fingleton in the 1930s. The record of four hundreds in consecutive Test innings was beaten a year later by Everton Weekes of the West Indies who achieved five centuries in a row; Melville's (and Fingleton's) record of four has since been equalled only by Rahul Dravid.
Middle Order
Ken Barrington - one of England's finest. Barrington scored 6806 runs in 82 test matches at an astonishing average of 58.67. 35 times he made a half-century and 20 times he converted a 50 into a 100. He was a machine. What makes his record even more outstanding is his average in away tests are greater than his average in England. 50.71 at home vs 69.18 away. He is a man for all conditions and this is further strengthend by the fact his lowest average in a country was 44.25 in the West Indies!

Neil Harvey - this great cricketer of the post war era still lives with us today going strong at 90 not out. In his heyday he amassed 6149 runs at an average of 48.42, with 21 centuries and 24 half-centuries. At age 19 he became the youngest Australian ever at that point in history to score a century in test cricket (153 vs India). Shortly after he was called up and shared a dressing room with Bradman as part of the Invincibles Australian team that toured England in 1948. On that tour he played just two tests (back then tours consisted of several first class games - he played 22 of them). But in his two tests he made a serious impact.

Harvey scored 112 in a first innings counter-attack to keep Australia in contention after they had suffered a top-order collapse. Harvey hit the winning boundary in the second innings as Australia won the match with a Test world record successful run-chase of 3/404. He retained his place for the Fifth Test, ending the series with 133 runs at a batting average of 66.50.

Harvey's career soared. By the time he retired he was second only to Bradman as Australia's leading run scorer and century maker. He was known for strong away performances - like Barrington his away average (51.43) trumped his home average (45.26).

Harvey was particularly known for his innings in conditions unfavourable to batting, performing when his colleagues struggled, such as his 151 not out in Durban, his 92 not out in Sydney in 1954–55 and his 96 on the matting in Dhaka.

“He was the best player I played with; without a shadow of a doubt, Neil Harvey is the best player that’s been since the war. He spent more time out of his crease to play spin than any other player, and he was never stumped. Bradman had the best footwork, but Harvey’s was second ... no one playing the game today has the footwork of Harvey ...”
- Former Australian all-rounder Alan Davidson, 1953-63

Steve Waugh - the definition of reliability is Steve Waugh. 168 tests, 10,927 runs, 32 centuries and 50 half-centuries. Perhaps the greatest Australian captain ever. A man who rose from adversity with a difficult start and who he himself would admit was never the most natural strokemaker (certainly not in his family). But Steve Waugh had guts, determination and an incredible will to win.

Zaheer Abbas - "Sunil Gavaskar, the former Indian Test captain, once said while commentating that the Indian players would often say to Zaheer, "Zaheer Ab-bas karo", which means "Zaheer, stop it now" in Urdu and Hindi, referring to Abbas' free scoring."

This free-flowing Pakistani legend scored 5062 test runs at an average of 44.79, with 12 centuries and 20 half-centuries. He scored double centuries in England (274 and 240) showing great adeptness to swinging conditions, as well as hammering the legendary Indian spin trio on a frequent basis leading to the aforementioned quote.

Mark Boucher - 147 tests, 5515 runs, 30.30 average, 5 centuries and 35 half-centuries. Boucher at 7 is a perfect rock to finish off the innings following the tremendous build-up those above him did, and to offer a steady hand with the tail. Speaking of hands he was a fantastic wicket-keeper too with the most dismissals in test match history.

Bowlers
Gubby Allen - In 25 tests he took 81 wickets at a bowling average of 29.37. He also scored 750 runs at a batting average of 24.19 with one century and three half-centuries. He is therefore a very solid all rounder. But lets focus on his bowling. He was judged to have been a very quick and elegant bowler, and in his later years although his pace diminished he became more accurate. His career spanned several years but he wasn't always available since he was one of the last "amateurs" having held a job in the Stock Exchange while also playing first class and test cricket.

He was `blooded' in Test cricket against Australia in 1930 but, although he scored 57, his bowling was unsuccessful and he was dropped for the remainder of the series. He made his mark, though, in 1931, with a quite remarkable innings of 122 against New Zealand at Lord's, coming in at No. 9. He And Leslie Ames set a Test record, which still Stands, with their partnership of 246 for the eighth wicket. In the next match of the series he took 5 for 14; he did not need to bat in that Test, nor in the third.

He was taken in Douglas Jardine's side for what has become known as the Bodyline series. Allen, however, disagreed with that version of leg-theory and his captain, meeting a character as determined as his own, did not press his only amateur fast bowler. However, Allen took 21 wickets in that Test series- more than any other English bowler except Harold Larwood.

John White - 15 tests, 49 wickets at 32.27. A left arm spin bowler he was noted for his endurance notably in the Melbourne test of the 1928-29 Ashes where he bowled 124 overs and picked up 13 of the Australian wickets to lead England to victory.

Jimmy Anderson - the fourth highest wicket taker in test match history with 565 in 145 tests at an average of 26.98. Jimmy is the mixture of sheer talent to swing the ball like a lollipop, tremendous stamina to have so much longevity and being the leader of the pack for most of his career, and determination to reinvent as his raw pace diminished.

Joel Garner - There's not much I have to say about this man. 259 wickets in 60 tests at an average of 20.97!

Team NM

1. Gordon Greenidge
2. Andy Sandham
3. David Boon
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Sourav Ganguly (C)
6. Joe Hardstaff
7. Les Ames (Wk)
8. Vernon Philander
9. Ray Lindwall
10. Derek Underwood
11. Fred Trueman

Batting:
Openers:

Gordon Greenidge and Andy Sandham:
Greenidge is one of the greats, averaging close to 45 in over 100 tests and pulverizing bowlers the world over. He not only scored runs, but demoralized the opposition in the manner he did it. Sandham is his supporting act, the same way he was Sir Jack Hobbs. His numbers are good, but not great, averaging around 38. He also has the distinction of being the first test triple centurion. Per Cricinfo He wasn't a big hitter but a "touch player", and more of a team player than entertainer, which makes him a good partner for Greenidge.

Middle Order:
David Boon, Jack Kallis, Sourav Ganguly, Joe Hardstaff and Les Ames
Boon averaged over 43 around the time where the bowling attacks were amazing and the pitches not friendly for batsmen. He was known for occupying the crease, which is perfect for a #3.
Following him is Big Jack Kallis, once of the best modern batsmen, averaging 55 (60 at 4) and the anchor of my team. Not much to be said.
Following him is Ganguly, who not much needs to be said about either. Captain, fluent stroke player, and shirt waiver par excellence. Averaged 42.
Hardstaff had his career interrupted by WW2 but averaged 46 in the tests he did play. Per cricinfo, he was one of the "most elegant batsmen of his generation".
Ames averaged over 40 in over 40 tests and was considered the greatest wicket-keeper batsmen ever during his career.

Lower Order and Bowlers
Vernon Philander, Ray Lindwall, Derek Underwood and Fred Trueman
Philander is a true test all rounder, averaging over 25 with 8 50s.
Lindwall can bat as well, averaging over 21 with 2 hundreds and 5 50s.
Underwood and Trueman are not going to help much, averaging between 11 and 13 each.

Bowling:
1. Fred Trueman (Fast) averaged 21.5 with over 300 wickets at an amazing strike rate of 49. Called himself the "T'Greatest Fast Bowler Who Ever Drew Breath" Had great pace and could swing the ball - a true strike bowler.
Lindwall (Fast) averaged 23 with over 220 wickets. Had great control and late swing, making him Australia's opening bowler for a decade.
3. Philander (Fast) averages 21 with over 200 wickets at an amazing strike rate of 49. A true swing bowler, he can move the ball both ways and also attack the stumps.
4. Underwood (SLA) averaged under 26 with nearly 300 wickets. Nicknamed "Deadly", he was amazing in England, and took wickets everywhere. I'd liken him to Kumble in terms of modern bowlers - medium pace, with spin.
5. Kallis (Fast Medium) averaged 32 with nearly 300 wickets. A reliable member of the attack, and a very comfortable fifth option.

Why I think I win:
1. Solid batting combinations throughout - aggressive + solid opener. Solid #3 and great #4 to prevent collapse, followed by stroke-makers at #5,6 and 7. I also bat till 9, which will ensure my tail wags.
2. Great Bowling - Over 1300 test wickets, and a varied attack - raw pace, swing bowlers, a deadly spinner, and a 5th bowler with nearly 300 wickets.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm going NM. I much prefer his bowling and his batting is solid.

Barrington, Harvey, Waugh is great though.

Last edited:

NM

@Boycott Voting for myself to see results.

As @12OunceEpilogue said, my bowling is simply better and his batting isn't that much better. Additionally, bowlers win tests. It really is that simple. I mean he has 2 strike bowlers only. There is no way they are taking 20 wickets IMO

Mani

Not just the better bowling I also not rating the opening two batsmen of Boycott,his middle order is getting exposed to the superior bowling attack.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
@NM takes this with the bowling. The flat wicket is always, always going to be determined by the bowlers no matter how many runs the batsmen score. Boycott has a brilliant batting line up but eventually the opposition bowling line up will wear them down.

Philander and co. will love bowling on a green top and the sheer depth, again, will be too much. @Boycott you have two brilliant fast bowlers but it's hard to judge your other two bowlers given they played such few test matches and the fact that their numbers weren't that great.

On the turner, Derek Underwood v John White. Both batting line ups will be more than capable of facing spin on this wicket but eventually it'll be too much for @Boycott 's lineup against a quality spinner.

@NM takes this 3-0.

Boycott

Not just the better bowling I also not rating the opening two batsmen of Boycott,his middle order is getting exposed to the superior bowling attack.
Melville averages over 60 opening the batting. I can understand why NM is getting the votes. Truthfully I also think this was a bad match-up for me but I disagree that the bowling is so much better. Allen was considered a great of his time so it's not a two man frontline (although Garner is legendary for any era, and Anderson has longevity of success). Even Waugh with 92 wickets can offer a hand. I am confident on a green top at least.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Don't agree too much with the amount of test matches comment. Some bowlers had very limited opportunities due to their nationality and era. I'd be happy enough to judge someone over a couple of series or so.

That's not withstanding those whose figures meant they only played a handful of tests.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Don't agree too much with the amount of test matches comment. Some bowlers had very limited opportunities due to their nationality and era. I'd be happy enough to judge someone over a couple of series or so.

That's not withstanding those whose figures meant they only played a handful of tests.
I think it must come down to judgement and personal preference. If two batsmen average around 40, with s/r's of 35 or so but one has played 150 Tests and the other has played 25 I wouldn't blame anybody for preferring the vastly more experienced Test player. Equally if a batsman with 25 Tests played 40 or so innings and had an average in the 50s I would hope he'd be judged as a great batsman of his era and not be dismissed out of hand because of his low number of appearances.

In the case of this match we're talking about John White who has limited numbers but is a Wisden CotY for 1929, was captain and vice captain for England, took a good number of wickets and was superb at holding up an end. He was a great of his era and would beat any journeyman spinner who managed double or triple his number of Tests in later decades. The trouble for White in this match is when compared to Underwood by almost any metric he looks second best by some distance.

Mani

Melville averages over 60 opening the batting. I can understand why NM is getting the votes. Truthfully I also think this was a bad match-up for me but I disagree that the bowling is so much better. Allen was considered a great of his time so it's not a two man frontline (although Garner is legendary for any era, and Anderson has longevity of success). Even Waugh with 92 wickets can offer a hand. I am confident on a green top at least.
Real trouble is with the pre war players who has only handful of matches to judge and very few articles on them to read, we all go with the stats available and when its compared with the opponents and judgement it too quick,NM got Greenidge and Sandham compared to your Melville&Catterall , NM clearly wins this plus your openers need to face Lindwall/Trueman which opens up the MO to new ball.having said all I need to say your MO is way superior to his but he wins overall.

NM

Somehow knew @crappycraperson would be voting for Boycott :lol:

Good game @Boycott I think you hit it rough with having 2 lesser known bowlers. Your middle order was epic.