Test Cricket Decades Draft R1: Skizzo/Pat/EAP vs Interval

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Welcome to the Test Cricket Decades Draft Round 1 match up. The two teams will be assessed based on a 3 match test series on the surfaces mentioned below. Only the test performances of the said players will be used for evaluation, no other format has any weight in the match up. The surfaces are:

1. Flat batting pitch with little help for any bowlers.
2. A greentop that aids pace bowling.
3. A slow dustbowl that aids spin bowling.

Please vote for the team that you think will prevail at the end of the series.

Team Skizzo/Pat/EAP

01. 1950-59 - Gooch (opener)
02. 1940-49 - D Amiss (opener)
03. 1910-19 - W Edrich (All rounder | Fast Medium)
04. 1970-79 - Tendulkar (batsman)
05. 1980-89 - de Villiers (batsman) (wk)
06. 1970-79 - M. Yousuf - (batsman)
07.1930-39 - R Illingworth (all rounder | Off break)
08. 1900-09 - RW Robins (bowler - spinner)
09. 1920-29 - Tayfield (bowler - Spinner)
10. 1890-99 - AE Hall (bowler - pace)
11. 1960-69 - C Walsh (bowler - Pace)

Alf hall (Left Arm Fast Medium) is capable of getting movement off the pitch and will open the bowling with Walsh who needs no introduction.

Hugh Tayfield was one of the best off spinners the game has seen. He was the fastest South African to take 100 wickets in Tests (in terms of matches played) until Dale Steyn claimed the record in March 2008. He was named as one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year in 1956.

Walter Robbins was a useful right-handed batsman and a capable leg-break bowler, Robins was named one of Wisden's Cricketers of the Year in 1930.

Illingworth is England captain and was a Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1960. 1836 test runs at Batting average 23.24 and 122 wickets at Bowling average of 31.20. An Off break spinner who relied on accuracy and subtle variations of flight.

Edrich was gutsy batsman he was "almost indifferent to his own safety. No bowler is too fast to hook; no score too large to defy challenge" He was a regular in the England team, batting at No. 3 and sometimes opening the bowling. 2,440 runs at average of 40.00.

Amiss was a stroke maker particularly through extra cover and midwicket – his two favourite areas to score runs. He was an accomplished batsman in all forms of the game. He averaged 46.30 in Tests and rates of one of best cricketers England has ever produced.

Team Interval

1. Gary Kirsten
2. Bob Simpson (C)
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Javed Miandad
6. Sir Clyde Walcott (WK)
7. Keith Miller
8. Malcolm Marshall
9. Jimmy Blanckenberg
10. Bishen Singh Bedi
11. Bill Voce

Things that work:
1. Deep, strong batting with a mix of explosiveness and grit. The top-3 will grind the bowlers out and the next 4 will milk them.
2. Bowling with 3 all-time greats. Miller was at his best with Lindwall’s supporting him and MM will provide that.
3. Bowling depth and variety in the form of Blanckenberg who was great on seaming pitches and Voce who is accurate left armer. Bobby Simpson can take a few too.
4. Ace in the pack: Miller and Walcott (see more below)

Batting: Steady, rock solid top
1. Gary Kirsten (7.3K runs @ 45)
2. Bob Simpson* (4.9K runs @47, avg of 55 as an opener; Captain)

A middle order so strong and deep that you can hear @Moby crying (ATG all around)
3. Rahul Dravid (13.3K runs @52)
4. Kevin Pietersen (8.1K runs @ 47)
5. Javed Miandad (8.8K runs @53)
6. Sir Clyde Walcott + (3.8K runs @57; WK)
7. Keith Miller (2.9K runs @37)

The tail that wags
8. Malcolm Marshall (1.8K runs @ 19 with 10 fifties)
9. Jimmy Blanckenberg (455K runs @20 with 2 fifties)

Customary bunnies
10. Bishen Singh Bedi
11. Bill Voce

Bowling
: Opening pair
Malcom Marshall (376 wickets @21 with SR of 47; literally amongst the best bowlers ever)
Keith Miller (170 wickets @23 with SR of 61)

First relief
Bishen Singh Bedi (266 wickets @29 with SR of 80)
Bill Voce (98 wickets @28 with SR of 65)
Jimmy Blanckenberg (60 wickets @30 and 65 SR; avg of 25 in RSA)

If nothing’s working
Bob Simpson (71 wickets @42 with SR of 97)

Intro on some of the lesser known players:

Keith Miller: 'I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not'."
Against Essex at Southend- on-sea in 1948, the Australians - Bradman's Invincibles - amassed 721 runs in a day, still a record. Promoted to second wicket down and with the score already 364 for two, Miller showed a distaste for the slaughter, and allowed himself to be bowled first ball by Trevor Bailey. "Thank God that's over," he was heard to mutter as he marched back to the pavilion.
Fast, unpredictable bowler who could seam the ball both ways. Imperious batsmen, probably a disservice that I have put him in at 7. I could post tonnes of stuff on him and its genuinely worth knowing if you’re into cricket. Some links:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2004/oct/12/guardianobituaries.cricket
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/125925.html

From: ESPNCRICINFO: Bradman's strong side needed Miller more as a bowler than a batsman, and he ended up with 170 Test wickets, at the excellent average of 22.97. He was the perfect foil to the smooth, skiddy Lindwall: Miller would trundle in off a shortish run, but could send down a thunderbolt himself if he felt like it. Or a legspinner. Or a yorker. Or a bouncer, an overdose of which led to his being booed during the 1948 Trent Bridge Test: Miller simply sat down until the barracking had subsided.

Sir Clyde Walcott:
One of the 3 W’s of West Indies cricket, between them, the Three Ws made 1106, nearly half the 2313 West Indian Test runs. I don’t need to say more than he is amongst the best averaging middle order batsmen ever. He also started his career keeping before back injuries forced him to field in slips. It was Weekes and Walcott, respectively 8th and 13th in the all-time Test batting averages, who overshadowed their captain in Test centuries, with 15 each compared with Worrell's nine.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2006/aug/28/guardianobituaries.obituaries

Jimmy Blanckenberg:
Jimmy Blanckenberg was a tireless right-arm medium-pace bowler whose lack of speed was more than compensated for by his nagging and unerring accuracy. While he was not so effective on grass, on the matting wickets which featured in South Africa he was a handful. Against England in 1913-14 he took 19 wickets at 22.52, and after the war he continued with 12 wickets against Australia in 1921-22 and then another 25 at 24.52, again against England, the following season.

Bill Voce:
Although he was somewhat slower than Larwood, his line, from left-arm over the wicket, and the steeper bounce that he obtained from his height, made him formidable enough and the batsmen got no relief when facing him.[/QUOTE]

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
OK, so for the first pitch, I assuming this is played in Karachi as it's the flattest wicket I've ever seen. @Skizzo @Edgar Allan Pillow take the lead with what I believe is a good top order and a super strong middle order. Sachin, ABD and Yousuf were three of the best in the last 20 years, with the latter, IIRC, still holding the record for the most runs in a calendar year.

As we head into Cape Town to continue the series on a green top, I reckon @Interval 's team are licking their lips at the prospect of seam and swing. Marshall and Miller, I reckon, will rip through their opposition and thus square the series at 1-1.

Going into Mumbai for the final match, I can see three spinners in one team loosening their fingers in attempt at bamboozling their opposition. However, with Dravid, KP and Miandad in that middle order, I don't see the dustbowl providing much difficulties for @Interval's team. In a twisting final days play, Bishen Bedi illustrates his class and wrecks the all English top order of EAPs team thus leading @Interval's team to a 2-1 victory. This leads to riots as the Mumbai crowd can't accept that Tendulkar is on the losing side.

Congraulations @Interval you win the series 2-1.

NM

Easy win for @Interval. If he improves his bowling attack, he wins the draft.

Himannv

I think it's an easy win for Interval, but.. Jimmy Blankenburg is a weak pick in an all time draft and you really don't want to give the gloves to Walcott IMO. As a keeper he barely averages 40 and his back problems meant he didn't have a proper career behind the stumps. He's a bit like Sanga in that sense, that he was just so much better once he gave up that role.

Having said all that, this is clearly the better team of the two.