TFM

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think people are reacting because "good riddance" indicates he's been a problem or a negative person to have at the club. All TFM has done is not live up to the lofty expectations, that's hardly a rarity or something to hold against him.
Fair enough, I could have used less harsh words. My frustration isn't aimed at TFM specifically but the club failing to see the writing on the wall ages ago. Had this been Liverpool they would have sold him a couple of years ago for £20m to some relegation candidate.

NYAS

Two long-term-injuries were surely his main problem in the last years but that we have never found a clear position for him was our fault.
Yes, he was a decent defensive player through the centre and had good tackling but of course we had to convert him to a RB and surprise, he hasn’t been the same since.

We’re seeing signs that we’re about to do it again to Axel. I hope it doesn’t last long.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Fair enough, I could have used less harsh words. My frustration isn't aimed at TFM specifically but the club failing to see the writing on the wall ages ago. Had this been Liverpool they would have sold him a couple of years ago for £20m to some relegation candidate.
I thought it was clear it was a general comment tbf.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Yes, he was a decent defensive player through the centre and had good tackling but of course we had to convert him to a RB and surprise, he hasn’t been the same since.

We’re seeing signs that we’re about to do it again to Axel. I hope it doesn’t last long.
His best position is as right centre-back in a 3-4-3 formation.

Hopefully he picks the right club because he has the talent to have a decent career.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I was never sure why anybody rated him highly.
My understanding was that people saw how large he was and that was the reason why people thought he was good.
He's been with the club several years and did nothing of note. I remember him having 1 good game for us, but fans seemed to rate his size, even though EPL players need to be slim and athletic.
I think he also went out on loan to Fulham (?) and he was on the subs bench for them. When I saw that, I knew he was not make the grade for us.

But anyway, good luck to him. Most players won't make it at the top level as it's incredibly difficult.
Best of luck Mr Mensah.

cyril C

TFM is 23 years old, if he is not starting every game, or at least 1st sub choice in any squad, he should be leaving.

As to why he has so little game time, is another subject of debate. I don't think the Club rate him much, offered him a new contract simply to protect his value. If another relegating club such as WBA wants him, pay up.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I was never sure why anybody rated him highly.
My understanding was that people saw how large he was and that was the reason why people thought he was good.
He's been with the club several years and did nothing of note. I remember him having 1 good game for us, but fans seemed to rate his size, even though EPL players need to be slim and athletic.
It wasn't his size that stood out, it was his athleticism. A few years ago he looked one of the best pure athletes I'd ever seen on a football field, but I'm not sure if that has continued as he's gotten a few years older (I doubt that had any impact since he's still early 20's) and had the injury problems.

Part of me has always wanted to see Bailly and TFM together in the central defence just for shits and giggles. Preferably in a game that wasn't important as it would probably be an unmitigated disaster, but it would be an incredibly entertaining partnership of speed, power and athleticism. :lol:

hungrywing

Ole's remark from a few days ago did seem like a deal had been done or was virtually done.

Best of luck to Timbo. Tear that league up. Make us proud.

SAFMUTD

I think he'll eventually play as a centerback in the bundesliga. In that league almost every wingback is offensive so I doubt he'll be preffered on than role while he has the athelticism to play as a CB.

Tallis

I think Sane once complimented him for being a tough defender to play against. I think he is a talented player but injuries and not getting minutes in his correct position has given the impression that he is not competent. If he was not good enough, then one of the better German clubs wouldnt be trying to sign him.

Reactions: Cheimoon

GueRed

always goes to ground and fouls alot. has poor positional sense as well.

terrible defender.

I've always said this.

He's barely improved in the last 5 years

time to move on

Snuffkin

Something is missing in our coaching or our nurturing of young players. They always get loaned to the wrong club or rot in the reserves.

pascell

Something is missing in our coaching or our nurturing of young players. They always get loaned to the wrong club or rot in the reserves.
Then the coaching isn't the problem as it has nothing to do with the selection of club we're loaning them to.

The problem for TFM was that we loaned him to Palace when de Boer was manager, he lasted about 6 games then they hired Hodgson, then AWB eventually was favoured.

Oranges038

He's 23 has barely had a decent game either on loan or in a Utd shirt. Time to cut him loose, best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

davidmichael

Shame it hasn’t worked out for him and he hasn’t become the player we hoped he would but we can’t continue being a team that keeps players around just to keep the squad big because we can’t obtain players we want.

I think in Germany or back in Holland he’ll become a decent centre back or defensive midfielder as he’s definitely much more suited to playing in a central position, I’m glad Ole has the balls to actually move players on instead of hoarding and leaving us with a bloated yet unbalanced squad which has long been our problem.

Eugenius

Let the guy get games and put a buyback / sell on clause in there. Best for both parties. Axel can cover RB (assuming Williams goes out in the loan).

Jezpeza

More deadwood out the door. Bang average injury prone player who at 23 is no longer a prospect, unlikely to greatly improve and doesnt even have a position. £1.8m for him is a nice brucey bonus

Sea-Cow

always goes to ground and fouls alot. has poor positional sense as well.

terrible defender.

I've always said this.

He's barely improved in the last 5 years

time to move on
Yeah when he was on loan I would watch and get so frustrated that he would constantly ball-watch and fail to track runners in behind him.

I think he was harmed by being so much more athletic than people his age. He didn't have to worry about his positioning or ball-watching etc because his pace would allow him to get out of trouble. Then he had a few injuries, stepped up to the men's game and his pace wasn't as outstanding, and he couldn't adapt.

Oh well. As others have said, I hope he goes on to have a good career.

RUCK4444

Good luck Timmy! Shame it didn’t work out, he seemed a real good prospect at one point.

It’s a tale of a player not nailing down a fixed position which leaves a big question mark next to your name.

I hope his injuries reduce and he has a good career.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Decent player but just never got the chance to step up with injuries and not nailing down a certain position. He didn't look out his depth when called on, wish him luck in his future

Red_Orchestra

Farewell and good luck to him.
Unfortunately, we will never know what his full potential could've been because of his injuries.
We all wish you the best at Leverkusen.

Footyislife

DM was where I thought he could have excelled. Should have just stayed patient and coaching him for that position.

Good luck to him. Shame he didnt develop the way we hoped.

poleglass red

good luck to him, hope it works out.He didn't have a future here so probably right to move him on.There's a few others hopefully not too far behind him.

Morpheus 7

Best for everyone, hopefully he kicks on. He hasn't shown anything in years, the hype train was crazy on him.

LuckyScout78

I rated him really promising and high earlier. But right now i prefer Bissaka and Williams over him. So for me. It’s best for him to get regular time football at another club. Wish him all the best. Both on and outside the pitch ;)

The Red Thinker

He joins a long list of talented players who had the skills but lacked the mentality to play for a giant club like United.

He suffered from injury a lot poor lad but when given his chances, he just couldn’t execute at the level needed. Compare this to the less pedigreed but mentally tougher Brandon Williams. He took his chances the moment they came.

TFM might end up doing great for Leverkusen. Some players need that extra step to be successful. Here’s to hoping.

RUCK4444

Aww felt a bit for TFM there. Can you imagine having to leave this club.

Must be absolutely heartbreaking to think you’ve gotten this far and failed.

He can of course still have a good career and I wish him the very best. I just think of how gutting it must be being shipped off to the Bundesliga from the theatre of dreams.:(