Thai Cave kids | All 12 boys and coach rescued from cave | visiting United

CA_vampire

Said it before and will say it again, these divers are heroes as good as they come. Will be an amazing feat if they get everyone out today. The divers are the ones who should be brought to the World Cup final and given standing ovations and what not. Would be cool if the players could do that sort of standing in line tribute thing that we did for Chelsea with our reserves some years ago. Don't recall what that is actually called.
Thats right! And Elon Musk should pay for their expenses during this trip.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think the original plan was to send the fittest first but after the doctor checked them out they decided to send the 4 weakest first (as they were worried about their survival) and thereafter they sent the fittest first.

GBBQ

I think the original plan was to send the fittest first but after the doctor checked them out they decided to send the 4 weakest first (as they were worried about their survival) and thereafter they sent the fittest first.
Yeah but my point being that when Musk arrived the youngest and weakest were already out and it was evident his contraption wasn't fit for purpose. Him turning up with a mini sub made out of rocket parts was nothing more than a PR exercise to make him look good.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah but my point being that when Musk arrived the youngest and weakest were already out and it was evident his contraption wasn't fit for purpose. Him turning up with a mini sub made out of rocket parts was nothing more than a PR exercise to make him look good.
That is what it looked like although the smallest/youngest boy wasn't out until the last dsy. No idea how Musk though that large metal tube was going to get around the sharp u-bend like turns.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If the email exchange with Stanton is genuine - and we’ve no reason to think it’s fake - then it was clearly more than just a PR exercise.

Re the timing of his arrival, I would imagine that Stanton and his team told him to get it over as soon as it’s ready. If they didn’t need it, great, if there was even a small possibility it could help in any way at all (if a kid or diver got injured and couldn’t wear a face mask during an underwater stretch wide enough to accomodate the sub) then obviously better to have it on site than not, even as late as the Tuesday.

The fact he did everything so publicly was a PR exercise. But PR is an important part of running a big business.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff
The water pumps failed right at the last leg of the extraction when the rescue team was still inside. Apparently the man manning the area sounded the alarm after which they had to rush out. The water level reached head height just as the last guy exited. feck :nervous:

GBBQ

If the email exchange with Stanton is genuine - and we’ve no reason to think it’s fake - then it was clearly more than just a PR exercise.

Re the timing of his arrival, I would imagine that Stanton and his team told him to get it over as soon as it’s ready. If they didn’t need it, great, if there was even a small possibility it could help in any way at all (if a kid or diver got injured and couldn’t wear a face mask during an underwater stretch wide enough to accomodate the sub) then obviously better to have it on site than not, even as late as the Tuesday.

The fact he did everything so publicly was a PR exercise. But PR is an important part of running a big business.
He is a walking PR exercise, talking space colonisation and hyperloops but not actually delivering anything for these big ideas. I'm not doubting he worked on the project or communicated with Stanton I just don't think it was ever viable and then he threw his toys out of the pram and had a go at the head of the rescue for saying the sub was not fit for purpose. But he did make sure he marketed his involvement in the venture.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He is a walking PR exercise, talking space colonisation and hyperloops but not actually delivering anything for these big ideas. I'm not doubting he worked on the project or communicated with Stanton I just don't think it was ever viable and then he threw his toys out of the pram and had a go at the head of the rescue for saying the sub was not fit for purpose. But he did make sure he marketed his involvement in the venture.
Well Stanton seemed to think it was at least worth considering as an option and he was much better informed.

GBBQ

Well Stanton seemed to think it was at least worth considering as an option and he was much better informed.
The excerpt of the e-mail that Musk shared only shows Stanton encouraging Musk to continue working on the design of the sub, I don't think that necessarily means he endorsed the final version or that it would be in any way flexible or small enough to fit through spaces where a man with an oxygen tank could not.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The excerpt of the e-mail that Musk shared only shows Stanton encouraging Musk to continue working on the design of the sub, I don't think that necessarily means he endorsed the final version or that it would be in any way flexible or small enough to fit through spaces where a man with an oxygen tank could not.
You’re speculating though. All we know for sure is that Stanton saw value in the project. None of us know what value he saw in it. Maybe he accepted it was useless in small spaces but thought it might come in handy transporting an unconscious casualty through another part of the route? At the end of the day all we know for sure is that Musk was in regular contact with Stanton and encouraged to see the project through. Interpreting that as “nothing but PR” is very uncharitable.

GBBQ

You’re speculating though. All we know for sure is that Stanton saw value in the project. None of us know what value he saw in it. Maybe he accepted it was useless in small spaces but thought it might come in handy transporting an unconscious casualty through another part of the route? At the end of the day all we know for sure is that Musk was in regular contact with Stanton and encouraged to see the project through. Interpreting that as “nothing but PR” is very uncharitable.
Fair enough, I am just generally turned off by people like Bezos or Musk who become the face of their companies and are made to look like great guys while their workforce are treated like shit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Fair enough, I am just generally turned off by people like Bezos or Musk who become the face of their companies and are made to look like great guys while their workforce are treated like shit.
Sure. I get the Musk backlash. I just think it’s tipping into a sort of cartoon villainy, where everything he does is sneered at. Which seems a little unfair.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
The water pumps failed right at the last leg of the extraction when the rescue team was still inside. Apparently the man manning the area sounded the alarm after which they had to rush out. The water level reached head height just as the last guy exited. feck :nervous:
Christ, bugger that. Shows how on the limit all the equipment was.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just makes a good climax for the film.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
From a risk management perspective you never want to eliminate any opportunities. So encouraging efforts that may help but in the end may not be required or useful is a best practice.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
That's a really good article. A real sense of the sheer scale of the operation, and the amazing work done by the teams. The logistical issues as well as the danger are just mind-boggling, and all the more impressive for an international operation that had to be suddenly put together.

It confirms a lot of the technical details we were guessing at as well, like the use of the sked to protect/streamline the kids as they moved through the system. The way they switched from cave scuba divers to rafts to passing the kids from hand to hand.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That's a really good article. A real sense of the sheer scale of the operation, and the amazing work done by the teams. The logistical issues as well as the danger are just mind-boggling, and all the more impressive for an international operation that had to be suddenly put together.

It confirms a lot of the technical details we were guessing at as well, like the use of the sked to protect/streamline the kids as they moved through the system. The way they switched from cave scuba divers to rafts to passing the kids from hand to hand.
Yeah, also fits with the rumours of heavy sedation. The kids were carried every step of the way. An amazing feat, from start to finish.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
There’s an interesting article in the Spiegel now how the Thai junta used this as a gigantic propaganda operation and bullied the press. The absolute darkness around the operation wasn’t to shield the kids, but to shield the juntas image and hide any failures. Questions about the security of the cave before the incident were forbidden, relatives briefed to only speak positively about the gouvernment and shielded by military during the few interviews. Journalists were registered illegally, various international cave divers gave up because they couldn’t bear the incompetency of the military officers in charge and the way they were treated.

Reminder to always look behind the big picture.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There’s an interesting article in the Spiegel now how the Thai junta used this as a gigantic propaganda operation and bullied the press. The absolute darkness around the operation wasn’t to shield the kids, but to shield the juntas image and hide any failures. Questions about the security of the cave before the incident were forbidden, relatives briefed to only speak positively about the gouvernment and shielded by military during the few interviews. Journalists were registered illegally, various international cave divers gave up because they couldn’t bear the incompetency of the military officers in charge and the way they were treated.

Reminder to always look behind the big picture.
There's been a political back-story running all the way through. From the reporter with his "Journalism is not a crime" T-shirt to the football club's senior coach talking about the need to guarantee rights to stateless adults and kids taking advantage of an interview after a game the other players from the club played last week.

Several of the kids and the young coach who were trapped in the cave are undocumented, and currently stateless, mostly because they come from areas on the Myanmar border. It doesn't affect the kids entitlement to schooling (or health care) but it affects everything else. They have no passports, so they can't travel. Their parents, and the young coach can't be legally employed. There's always a backstory.

vangagal

Tbf to Musk, the diver said he can stick his submarine when its hurt. They are both wrong in my view, one doesnt have to said like that although it was joke and the other just butthurt he doesnt get appreciation for what he was doing.

Hephaestus

Tbf to Musk, the diver said he can stick his submarine when its hurt. They are both wrong in my view, one doesnt have to said like that although it was joke and the other just butthurt he doesnt get appreciation for what he was doing.
I mean, he was part of an incredible operation then some lunatic billionaire comes in and tries to use the whole situation for PR. I'd have probably said something ruder. And even if you say his conduct wasn't great, calling someone a paedophile for no reason is way, way over the line. The two aren't comparable really at all.

kps88

How is that tweet still up? Musk fans on Twitter can be a terrible bunch, they're going to harass the hell out of that guy.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
To be fair to Musk?

He literally called the diver a paedophile. Because he called his stunt a PR stunt?

How is that even slightly equivalent?

Either Musk has made this up, in which case he's a scumbag. Or he knew about it and hasn't bothered to say anything until this guy has annoyed him. In which case, he's a scumbag.

Hephaestus

How is that tweet still up? Musk fans on Twitter can be a terrible bunch, they're going to harass the hell out of that guy.
Why would he take it down? That would require the guy to have any shame at all. Since his response to criticism is to call the other guy a paedophile, safe to say he doesn't have any.

vangagal

I mean, he was part of an incredible operation then some lunatic billionaire comes in and tries to use the whole situation for PR. I'd have probably said something ruder. And even if you say his conduct wasn't great, calling someone a paedophile for no reason is way, way over the line. The two aren't comparable really at all.
One jokes about to stick where it hurts and one said another is paedophile. One least harm than other but it same for me. The diver entitled to his great operation and he knew better but that first line just unnecessary. And Musk i agree he is a dick

Silva

One jokes about to stick where it hurts and one said another is paedophile. One least harm than other but it same for me. The diver entitled to his great operation and he knew better but that first line just unnecessary. And Musk i agree he is a dick
let's pretend musk didn't question their expertise after most of the kids were already out

Hephaestus

Don't agree. One is at worst kind of dickish and the other is at worst life-destroying. As I said, I'd give the diver more leeway anyway but the two comments can't be compared.

kps88

Why would he take it down? That would require the guy to have any shame at all. Since his response to criticism is to call the other guy a paedophile, safe to say he doesn't have any.
I figured his lawyers or Twitter would act on it.