That loss to Leverkusen

204Red

I've always felt that the loss to Dortmund was more disappointing, as we really should have won that match with the players we had on the pitch... and Eric really deserved a place in a CL final... funnily, I believe it was Roy Keane (in his infamous book) claimed that Eric was one of the players who bottled under the pressure of that match and all that was at stake.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I would even add Madrid in 2013. We literally dominated them only for nani to be sent off and us collapsing. It's like we never got our benefit of luck in these matches. :(
The Porto loss was ridiculous. A terrible offside decision and goalkeeping howler at the death.

the chameleon

One of many CL exits that annoys me years and years later - Dortmund, Monaco, Real (in 2000), Leverkusen, Porto, Bayern (2010). I don’t know how we lost all those, we really should have gone through some of them.
I still can't over many of them. If Barcelona was the best team between 2009-2012. That team had the highest peak of any team. But it was us between 1997 - 2009 that was the most consistent team in Europe. There may have been some better sides that came and went but Manchester United was the dominant club in Europe. Those 6 close losses still hurt. Those sloppy losses were the difference between us being seen as a great club to 2nd only to Madrid.

the chameleon

Yeah he was dreadful. I really think if we’d signed Edwin in 1999 we’d have another champions league. Barthez cost us constantly, Howard cost us against Porto, Carroll cost us against Milan the year after, not to mention the Taibi and Bosnich years. So many feck ups.
I think we would have 3 more Champions League titles with Edwin. That donkey Barthez was horrendous. There was a massive void between 1999-2005.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
One of many CL exits that annoys me years and years later - Dortmund, Monaco, Real (in 2000), Leverkusen, Porto, Bayern (2010). I don’t know how we lost all those, we really should have gone through some of them.
Bayern 2010 is the worst. The first leg we were absolutely screwed as well as the second.

AshRK

The Porto loss was ridiculous. A terrible offside decision and goalkeeping howler at the death.
Yes that was frustrating too. But we were overall not a great side that season and probably would have got knocked out later. But yes we should have knocked out Porto. Imagine Jose's legacy would have been totally different.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yes that was frustrating too. But we were overall not a great side that season and probably would have got knocked out later.
Porto played Lyon in the QFs, Deportivo in the SFs and Monaco in the final. It would have been the softest route to another CL win we could have possibly hoped for. I think we’d have done it quite handily.

AshRK

Porto played Lyon in the QFs, Deportivo in the SFs and Monaco in the final. It would have been the softest route to another CL win we could have possibly hoped for. I think we’d have done it quite handily.
Yes maybe you are right but from my memories we never looked a great side that season. Played a very tumescent football where Nistelrooy was bailing us out in some matches.

In fact it is surprising how the invincible arsenal side were knocked out against chelsea. It should have been their season to win the CL too with the form they were in.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
In fact it is surprising how the invincible arsenal side were knocked out against chelsea. It should have been their season to win the CL too with the form they were in.
Good point. Talk about underachieving, Arsenal have one CL final appearance in their entire history. That 03/04 side of theirs must have been the best side in Europe that season, comfortably.

Sylar

If we had beaten Leverkusen, we never would have conceded that Zidane goal either. Just saying.

I remember before they made it 2-2 at OT, United had a huge chance to make it 3

Weve had some great CL moments, esp the way weve won it. Penalties and 2 goals in the last minute. The losses thankfully were pretty much decided, so it wasnt like we had hope going into the last few mins :lol:
But yeah, the semi final losses (and some of the knockout games) have been heartbreaking, esp some of the away goals ones.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes that was frustrating too. But we were overall not a great side that season and probably would have got knocked out later. But yes we should have knocked out Porto. Imagine Jose's legacy would have been totally different.
It was pretty terrible CL that year. We'd probably have won it had we gone through, and somehow fixed Tim Howard.

Giggsyking

Looking back we were unlucky in the CL in general. Fergie should really have one more, if not two.

Dortmund was another one i remember. Chance after chance.

Then we just happened to be in two finals against arguably the greatest side ever in Peps Barca.

If luck had gone our way we should have at the bare minimum one more CL.
:confused: Cantona's chance

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I have it in my memory that Barthez messed up for a goal.

Porto a few years later maybe a bit worse when you consider it was a late goal, Howard mistake, and Porto went onto win it in a relatively easy final.
Don't forget that disallowed goal by Scholes for offside. Iirc, he was onside. :mad:

MrPooni

Would have been great to have Fergie manage us in a CL final in Glasgow. Huge disappointment.
Don't think he would have changed his mind about retiring if he won the CL in Glasgow for his last game so I'm kind of thankful we flopped it that season in hindsight.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Our defence that year was fecking abysmal and Barthez kept having brain fart after brain fart and then when he didn't he still wasn't very good.

We'd have lost to that Madrid side I think.

Would've been an entertaining game though.

Watching the highlights now and it's the first time I've watched any of it since the actual matches. I forgot how much I hated Oliver Neuville and in general that Leverkusen team that year.

Last edited:

slored1

I would even add Madrid in 2013. We literally dominated them only for nani to be sent off and us collapsing. It's like we never got our benefit of luck in these matches. :(
Fecking hate that tie. Completely dominated Real and I'm sure we would have gone far that year (Galatasaray, Dortmund in the next two rounds).

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Dortmund and Porto were the worst.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Don't think he would have changed his mind about retiring if he won the CL in Glasgow for his last game so I'm kind of thankful we flopped it that season in hindsight.
He changed his mind halfway through that season not after it.

mshnsh

Add madrid 2013.We deserved to win.Even mourinho acknowledged that.

AFC NimbleThumb

We even crumbled against Madrid in 2013. We dominated them in both the legs. Their keeper was in a beast mode against us. We should have won in Madrid when Van persie missed an easy chance. And then the second leg at OT was a joke. We literally were so comfortable and then nani's red card happened. And then it was like we just collapsed.
That Nani red card still ‘grind my gears’, we were better than Madrid then Boom - a ridiculous decision.

It’s moments in games like that, that make me scoff at the notion decisions even themselves out - they just don’t & the Bayern game with the Robben wonder goal irks me for similar reasons.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yes. We looked so toothless against that Milan side losing both leg 1-0 without even trying. That was one of the most uninspiring performances in a big game under sir alex.
There was a moment in the return leg away where we got a corner kick and Scholes slipped up and kicked the ball out of play. If there was a moment during that period that summed up my and United's lack of confidence it was that. I honestly felt United and SAF were done. Thank god I was wrong.

IrishRick

I reckon had we won that game and beaten Madrid then Fergie would have retired in Glasgow. Maybe its for the best that it went how it did

Irwin99

Watched the match recently and it is sad to see how close we were. I feel like I'm having another pop at Veron but it's yet another old game that I've watched where he just looked so lost on the pitch. Keane and Ballack were brilliant for both teams. Would love to have seen them both at United, maybe with Scholes playing as a 10 :drool:

Josh 76

Real in 2000 was terrible. We draw away 0-0 (That's when 0-0s away were classed as great results in europe). Then going into the second leg Utd were favourites. I was behind the goal when all 3 Madrid goals went in. I haven't been so shocked at a football match. We would have won the CL that season as we were so far ahead in the league.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Didn't he handle it outside the box in the away leg?
Possibly, I can’t really remember. I just remember him being lobbed by Figo and looking about 5 foot 8 as it went over him, then being caught at his near post by Ronaldo from about 30 yards. We put 5 past Madrid over the 2 legs, yet kept leaking easy goals.

SER19

Was absolutely gutting. Rushed keano back for second leg and he scored a good goal. No way would fergie have lost in Glasgow would have been an iconic night I think. Probably the hardest European exit i think

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
No doubt. There were a few occasions where we came within a whisker of signing a player who may have been the difference between a CL semi final and a CL trophy. Shearer, Viera, Essien, 18 year old Bale spring to mind.
Ronaldinho was all but done till barca hijacked it the last second.
Same with Robben when kenyon moved to Chelsea. Either of them would be considered legends here if they’d signed.All the players we’ve listed were unplayable at certain points in their career and would have been hero’s here. We would have won more for sure.

watching us in Europe was pretty rough going in the mid 90s. we often struggled badly against quality and had our fair share of stumbles against smaller teams too. We were doing better in Europe but If we hadn’t won it in 99 i don’t think we would have again for a while and we were pretty close to losing that final with arguably our best ever squad (I think the ronaldo tevez rooney squad was better for what it’s worth) I think the margins are as fine as one influential player making a very good team an excellent team.

frustratingly Messi made that already great barca team unbeatable in the 2 finals.

Last edited:

Tel074

I've been following United for 30 years and that away night in Germany was without doubt the most heartbreaking night ever for me as a United fan even more so than the finals against Barca.

I wanted the final for Keane so badly but we would never have beaten Madrid with a defence of Brown Blanc Johnsen Silvestre and with the calamity of Barthez in goal. But we should still have made the final . Took me a full day to be able to feel normal after that night .
I remember still looking around at the end of the game and load of United fans stood shocked looking at each other thinking how have we not gone through .
It probably was the night when Fergie realised it was time for a new keeper and defence

ricky-romeo

Selling Stam and replacing him with a 35 year old Blanc cost us the season.

We signed Ruud and Veron which no doubt freshen up the team especially for european games.

We got no problem scoring goals, but kept on conceding soft goals.

Barthez was decent in his first season at United but started to struggle as soon as we are left with Blanc, Brown and Silvestre and the back.

RikRuud

Selling Stam and replacing him with a 35 year old Blanc cost us the season.

We signed Ruud and Veron which no doubt freshen up the team especially for european games.

We got no problem scoring goals, but kept on conceding soft goals.

Barthez was decent in his first season at United but started to struggle as soon as we are left with Blanc, Brown and Silvestre and the back.
He struggled a lot with a good defence too. Was too easily beaten at his near post far too often.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I suspect Real Madrid would have beaten Manchester United in Glasgow. You can never know for sure, but that’s what I think.

Number32

Real in 2000 was terrible. We draw away 0-0 (That's when 0-0s away were classed as great results in europe). Then going into the second leg Utd were favourites. I was behind the goal when all 3 Madrid goals went in. I haven't been so shocked at a football match. We would have won the CL that season as we were so far ahead in the league.
Like they was destinied to win that trophy. They were 5th in La Liga, struggled to score on every competition, then everything was supporting them to score and grab a win in champions league (similar with Liverpool 2005)

Redondo who was injure entire season but suddenly gave us a Zidane esque performance, Raul was scoring with his right foot in a tigh angle, that was the only season I watched Real Madrid playing a counter attack football. You have to give Del Bosque a lot of credits, was a very underated manager at the time.

Revan

Assumptionman
On the other hand, we should have lost in 1999, and then Viva John Terry in 2008.

About Leverkusen, I swear that we had a goal wrongly disallowed, or at least my brain has decided so. I don't remember how and where, but we had a goal disallowed. I decided to become a United fan after the semi-final, cause I felt that United was cheated out of the final. The brain of a kid.