That Maguire challenge on Digne

Strelok

No, of course not, what kind of question is that? There are infinite amounts of possible tackles, it's impossible to make a list.
You're obviously talking about things you actually have no idea about. What a waste of time tbh.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's not about how we would have reacted, it's about what the rules are and how they are interpreted. A lot of challenges are fouls now that wouldn't have been 30 years ago. It's not about you being a hardman and other people being soft, it's about you not knowing the rules. If this was 1990 I would say that the tackle was perfectly fine, but it's not 1990. Today the tackle is borderline as an absolute best, if you think a tackle is legal as long as you touch the ball below knee height they you just don't know the rules.
The rule is still the same, it's the interpretation of the rule that's different (by some fans and clearly not the referee or VAR). If that counts as excessive force for a challenge where he clearly won the ball then we might as well just ban sliding challenges. Luckily I thought the ref was decent today, I thought he had a good control over the game even if he didn't get every single decision right.

NotThatSoph

The rule is still the same, it's the interpretation of the rule that's different (by some fans and clearly not the referee or VAR). If that counts as excessive force for a challenge where he clearly won the ball then we might as well just ban sliding challenges. Luckily I thought the ref was decent today, I thought he had a good control over the game even if he didn't get every single decision right.
You don't know how the referee or VAR viewed it, because it was offside. You only know that they didn't think it was a red card, which it wasn't. The "by some fans" is an extremely weird phrase. Go watch some games from the 90s and before, you'll see insane tackles that would be clear red cards now but no fouls then. The rules have changed.

You're obviously talking about things you actually have no idea about. What a waste of time tbh.
You can think it was a waste of time as much as you want, but why did you waste it by asking such a silly question? You can't make a list of all situations where it's a foul to touch the ball with your hands, it's literally impossible because you can touch the ball with your hands an infinite amount of ways. That doesn't mean you can't rule handballs.

Strelok

You don't know how the referee or VAR viewed it, because it was offside. You only know that they didn't think it was a red card, which it wasn't.

You can think it was a waste of time as much as you want, but why did you waste it by asking such a silly question? You can't make a list of all situations where it's a foul to touch the ball with your hands, it's literally impossible because you can touch the ball with your hands an infinite amount of ways. That doesn't mean you can't rule handballs.
I don't need a list. Find an instance where the the same tackle was a foul is enough. Of course after VAR was introduced.

GMoore23

Loved the tackle and the general fight in our play yesterday. Hope theres more of that to come, especially at Old Trafford. If we played with the same desire at home as we have been showing in away games we'd be top of the league.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You don't know how the referee or VAR viewed it, because it was offside. You only know that they didn't think it was a red card, which it wasn't. The "by some fans" is an extremely weird phrase. Go watch some games from the 90s and before, you'll see insane tackles that would be clear red cards now but no fouls then. The rules have changed.

I'll repeat what I said. The rules have not changed, excessive force or being out of control were always potential reds. The interpretation has changed. And if that's even a foul rather than just a good challenge where he won the ball and took the man after then you might as well ban sliding challenges because it will be impossible to know what is permissible.

Matt007a

It’s probably a foul by today’s rules but for me personally, that sort of tackle shouldn’t be a foul. It’s very difficult to slide in at an angle and not hit the player in the follow through. We are basically at the point where you can only slide in if you’re side on with the opponent and both travelling in the same direction.

Classical Mechanic

Won the ball, got some of the man, both Flew in, fair challenge
Exactly, they’re both sliding in for the challenge, whoever got to the ball first was going to leave something on the other. If it was from the side or from behind then it may be a pen if there was no offside but to call it a red card is bonkers.

NotThatSoph

Because you were the one who talked like you know at least one instance when it was a foul?
I thought you wanted an identical tackle to what Maguire did. If you just want an example where someone touching the ball with his leg below knee height results in a foul then I simply think you're lying if you say you haven't seen one, so I won't bother.

Superunknown

Committed tackle to win the ball. It's a professional sport and that was a full-on tackle to get to the ball first. It's a physical game, so you have to expect that one or two tackles may hurt or be quite meaty. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Didin't think it was a red card allthough it was stupid...Everton can't eactly complain aboout that sort of thing after their goalkeeper was alllowed to cripple someone and then in the same game another of their players thought it was fine to try and deliberately seriously injure someone.

It's quite fine to simply say feck off to teams who behave like cnuts.

Jaykespeare88

Really needs to do it more, seems like the bollocking from Coleman; for his perceived dive, lit something inside. We need more cnuts in the team starting with our slab head captain.

Strelok

I thought you wanted an identical tackle to what Maguire did. If you just want an example where someone touching the ball with his leg below knee height results in a foul then I simply think you're lying if you say you haven't seen one, so I won't bother.
No I haven't. Since VAR was introduced.

Can you show me one?

Giggsyking

It was not even a foul. Great tackle, I would love more of them please.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd advise Digne next time to be more cautious.

He saw Maguire coming in at full speed and was always getting to it first, if he's that worried about an injury he should have pulled out earlier.

Maguire did his job, got there first and took the ball cleanly. He can't stop himself after he's sliding so his momentum will always take him into Digne.

He didnt' tackle him high and he didn't do any scissor motion. A text book sliding tackle, I doubt Digne was even injured he just wanted to try and milk the situation.

GREAT tackle from our captain.

Will Singh

I felt with what had happened during the game he knew he was going to win the ball and could go in hard. I think that was a beautiful challenge and got me hyped up like the good old days when we showed passion. GET IN THERE HARRY!!!!

LordNinio

As far as I'm aware it can't be a free/penalty if the player is offside but it can still be a red card.
Only thing that makes any sense. The ball is dead from the point of offside, so it can't be a penalty. But a red card can be given at any point. Just like if you punch someone going down the tunnel at half time.

lex talionis

I haven’t read all six pages of this thread, but there seems to be confusion.

Once a player is judged to be offside, another player can indeed be sent off for violent conduct. No question about that. But a foul that’s committed after the offside offense is mooted by the offside offense.

Whatever one thinks about Maguire’s challenge, and for me he clearly got in a hard but fair challenge (got the ball and he also got the man...but with full intent to get the ball) there is no plausible argument that he was guilty of violent conduct.

The laws were applied correctly.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Not only does Digne not get the ball first, he then makes contact with Maguire after. On what planet is that a penalty and not the other way around?
I don’t think we should have got a pen mate.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Got the ball. Sometimes that results in the tackled player getting clipped. Unfortunate. But not deliberate. Happens all the time. Not worth discussion.

Longshanks

Excessive force is where a player exerts more force than is required to deliberately take the player aswell, I don't think that is the case here maguire is at full stretch to win the ball but I don't believe he has used more force than required to deliberately take digne aswell.
The only other reason you could send him off for is dangerous play, again I don't see it, it's not two footed or high yes studs are showing but how else do you make a tackle like that? If digne dives in like that and scores despite clattering maguire and/or de gea do you think it would be disallowed? Or digne would be sent off?

It's not a foul, it's not a pen and deffo not a red card.

I cant help but feel the posters saying it should be a red have never played football at any level and certainly never tried playing in defence, tackling is an art, defending is an art, it takes concentration, discipline and above all else commitment, football is a contact sport and there will always be comings together and contact during and after tackles it's part of the game.

If you want to see excessive force and dangerous play check out some games from the 70/80/90's.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Has there been any serious injuries that have resulted during similar passages of play with a delayed flag?

I don’t remember any, but it’s only a matter of time.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Got the ball but clattered into the man.

Correct no call.

Don’t see what the fuss is. If Digne popped right back up after, the outrage would be far less.

RUCK4444

Football is going too far the wrong way if this was not only a pen, but also a potential red card because of 'excessive force' by Maguire.
The ball is there to be won, They are both committed, going for the ball and Harry wins it cleanly first. They effectively kick each other and Digne is later than Maguire getting to the ball.

It’s not like he just about got a toe to it and then took the player out.

pascell

The ball is there to be won, They are both committed, going for the ball and Harry wins it cleanly first. They effectively kick each other and Digne is later than Maguire getting to the ball.

It’s not like he just about got a toe to it and then took the player out.
Thats what I was trying to say, people moan at a strong challenge and people moan when they're rolling around on the floor with the slightest bit of contact. Football is going down the pan if the Maguire challenge was a pen and red for the follow through.

RUCK4444

Thats what I was trying to say, people moan at a strong challenge and people moan when they're rolling around on the floor with the slightest bit of contact. Football is going down the pan if the Maguire challenge was a pen and red for the follow through.
Ah right sorry misread your post as though you were saying it was a red.

Yeah agree, the game is already being sterilised, defenders have got to be able to clear those sort of balls.

At the end of the day Digne would have clearly seen he’s going to be second to that ball, if that’s the case don’t leave your feet in and complain when a defender clears it out. Except they do that now to try and win a pen.

Dread Devil

No attempt was made to play the ball by Pickford and he got nowhere near the ball, it was a penalty. Had Maguire booted Digne in the groin area and got nowhere near the ball and no penalty given, then I’d understand a thread being made.
I agree, Pickford was totally out of order...

I think Maguire's tackle was a good one, he got the ball first but some referees and Var adjudicators see things differently and therefore Maguire could have been sent off ....

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
6 pages for a non event - feck is going on here

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I agree, Pickford was totally out of order...

I think Maguire's tackle was a good one, he got the ball first but some referees and Var adjudicators see things differently and therefore Maguire could have been sent off ....
Sent off for a challenge that hit the foot and none of the other dangerous areas? Woud be a truly moronic decision then.

If it hits at the level of the ankle or above, maybe. Below, it's a yellow at most. VAR can't be used for yellows.