That night in Paris - was it worth it?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It was an incredible night but the its been nothing but disastrous since. Would you go back in time and change the result to see how the following 10 months would have panned out? Personally, I don't think I would but it would have been interesting to know what sort of alternate reality would have ensued had we not gone through.

Siorac

I still wouldn't want to change it. Odds are that the following 10 months would have been just as shite - this way at least we have a fecking great night to remember. In the paucity of actuall successes in the post-Fergie era, it remains a high point, as sad as that is.

Eddy_JukeZ

Honestly that night was amazing, but the performance was awful.

It was a gigantic fluke. Akin to Chelsea knocking out Barcelona in 2012.

We were woeful that night in Paris, but got gifted 3 goals out of nothing.

Don't think changing the result matters either. Woodward was always giving the job to Ole.

CallyRed

I mean it was great that we won that night but it certainly papered over cracks.
Can a win be a loss?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The only thing you'd change is the shotgun approach to giving Ole a permanent contract.

The woeful run in April and May was sackable as per modern football standards...especially as 3 other clubs were as bad as us, yet we let 2 of them take the CL positions.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Definitely. 100%. I realise she was already rich and lost her inheritance over it but she became a millionaire in her own right and for a while carved a real career out of it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ole would have got the job even with losing to PSG, only change would have been 2 less games in CL.

Judas

Open to offers
It's hard because you watch football for nights like that, it was an incredible high, and that feeling when we got the penalty and the remaining time was unforgettable.

But we don't know for sure if it would have made much difference. If we knew for sure it would have saved us from this mess? Maybe, but I don't know.

Traub

Definitely. 100%. I realise she was already rich and lost her inheritance over it but she became a millionaire in her own right and for a while carved a real career out of it.
Worse though, I think it spawned the Kardashians. It may have affected @SteveJ though, so maybe it was worth it.

GBBQ

Hard to know, maybe we wouldn't have been so quick to offer a contract before the end of the season. Then if the steam ran out of the run we might have been given reason for pause.

But did she have to use night vision?

Greck

Ole would have got the job even with losing to PSG, only change would have been 2 less games in CL.
I don't think so. We had dropped the 2 games before Ole's permanent appointment. Imo If we hadn't qualified against PSG those 2 results wouldn't have been overlooked. Staying in the CL in such stellar fashion gave him credit in the bank

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't want to sound ITK but from what I heard, Ole knew he was given the permanent job long before Paris.

flappyjay

As a football fans we live for those moments. I don't regret it what, I regret is what the board did.

youmeletsfly

It's fecking PSG, of course it was worth. They were doing flicks and tricks in the 1st half, trying to make a mockery out of our players. Even if we would've finished 15th the game was worth.

roonster09

Scout
I don't think so. We had dropped the 2 games before Ole's permanent appointment. Imo If we hadn't qualified against PSG those 2 results wouldn't have been overlooked. Staying in the CL in such stellar fashion gave him credit in the bank
I don't think decisions are made based on just individual games, that initial run he had got him the job.

Greck

I don't think decisions are made based on just individual games, that initial run he had got him the job.
Individual games could form the tipping point. The PSG game being one for our incompetent board. He was definitely under heavy consideration before the PSG tie for that initial run. Disclaimer that this is all speculation of course as I'm not making the decision with them in the boardroom

roonster09

Scout
Individual games formed the tipping point. The PSG game being one for our incompetent board
There was already lot of rumors that Ole was getting the job. We did well in the league and FA cup too, not just well, we were very good in that run. That was the reason he got the job, going on a winning run, winning 9 away games in a row, beating Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal away from home. It looks like Ole knew what he was doing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Why are fans still pretending that if we get rid of Ole that everything will be fine? It won't. We will still have the same problems. Still have a shite squad, still have the Glazers and still have Woodward and the recruitment team.

Ole isn't good enough but nobody will be. Jose n LVG weren't and you don't get many more experienced managers than those two. The club is broke from the top. Changing managers is like putting a plaster on a shark bite at this stage. It doesn't solve anything. Ever.

Judas

Open to offers
Why are fans still pretending that if we get rid of Ole that everything will be fine? It won't. We will still have the same problems. Still have a shite squad, still have the Glazers and still have Woodward and the recruitment team.

Ole isn't good enough but nobody will be. Jose n LVG weren't and you don't get many more experienced managers than those two. The club is broke from the top. Changing managers is like putting a plaster on a shark bite at this stage. It doesn't solve anything. Ever.
Said no one ever :lol: this bizarre belief that people are out to get Ole but think the rest of the club is fine and dandy and it'll all be ok with a better manager, it's just not true, anyone who wants rid of Ole, also wants to see the rest of the club sorted. It's the people who believe in Ole who seemingly think the club are on the right track and everything is ok behind the scenes.

Godfather

Hell no. Said it in another thread. This game was probably the most damaging game for us in a very long time.

We can dig a little deeper, was the win against Ajax worth it? We've gone backwards since then too.

Enigma_87

You know who
There was already lot of rumors that Ole was getting the job. We did well in the league and FA cup too, not just well, we were very good in that run. That was the reason he got the job, going on a winning run, winning 9 away games in a row, beating Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal away from home. It looks like Ole knew what he was doing.
If that run ended before he was made permanent, most probably he wouldn't have been appointed. Lose that tie and probably the board would have waited a bit - then we went on a barren run and relegation form.

el3mel

Not like we won the CL that year. If it had meant we would have looked for a proper manager then 100% would have changed it.

stu_1992

It was worth it for Neymar's face at the end alone!

I had recently just moved to France and this was the first game I watched out. Bar was full of PSG supporters, and just one other United fan. They were so wound up and bitter about it, it was great! Thankfully the other guy took more of the heat from them as he was far more obnoxious!

I wouldn't take away the fun I had watching that game that night at all. We can debate what ifs about what might have happened otherwise all day, but it's largely irrelevant.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This game was just cherry on top. His record whilst caretaker manager was amazing. Just once that contract was signed it went to shit.

My theory is that the players, Pogba etc hated Jose so much at the end that they played out of their skins for ole to prove a point about freedom from conservative tactics. Now that ole has been there a year I suspect that some of them find his tactical/managerial experience lacking.
Of course the board has not helped at all by not replacing players who have left. Our squad hasn’t been able to cope

izec

Dont think it would have changed much. It was the final piece or argument for the board to appoint him. It would have happened at some point. Ole was the easy way out, it is not like we had a big manager lined up. We probably never truely looked for one after that run

Tarrou

I don't think it would change anything

must've been amazing for the young lads on the pitch too

roonster09

Scout
If that run ended before he was made permanent, most probably he wouldn't have been appointed. Lose that tie and probably the board would have waited a bit - then we went on a barren run and relegation form.
Before hiring him as permanent manager, his record
in PL was 10 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss in 13 PL games. (Winning at Spurs away, Leicester away, drawing with Liverpool with depleted team)
in FA cup - 3 wins, 1 loss. Wins at Chelsea away and Arsenal away.

and this was when the morale was at rock bottom. 1 game won't change anything, there was already rumors that he will get permanent job. The whole atmosphere at the club was very different.

Greck

Funny enough the run had ended. I'm going off of memory but we had freshly started dropping results when he was made permanent. I remember because I made a post at the time reflecting how stupid it was that we didn't try to confirm if the recent poor results would continue, and they did. It was like fate gave us that chance to avoid disaster and we ignored it. If we had taken it we would be sighing in relief how we dodged a bullet by now. When I knew our board was grossly incompetent

Enigma_87

You know who
Before hiring him as permanent manager, his record
in PL was 10 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss in 13 PL games. (Winning at Spurs away, Leicester away, drawing with Liverpool with depleted team)
in FA cup - 3 wins, 1 loss. Wins at Chelsea away and Arsenal away.

and this was when the morale was at rock bottom. 1 game won't change anything, there was already rumors that he will get permanent job. The whole atmosphere at the club was very different.
Agreed, but the PSG game was the tipping point. It's pure conjecture of course, but it was his biggest win at the time and there were already signs of slowing down before that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I wouldn't change it, but I bet Rio would to spare his credibility after that 'Ole's at the wheel, United are back!' outburst on BT.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
What happened in Paris should have stayed in Paris. It was a fluke victory, hanging on for dear life most of the game and gifted a goal by blundering opponents. And then that VAR penalty.

Even during that new manager bounce period, it was clear that the initial effervescence of the performances was dwindling with each game.

1. In his first three games we scored 12 goals.
2. In his next 6 games we scored the same number.
3. In his next 10 games we scored 16 goals.

Performances were not good either. See the game against Soton for example where 3-2 result flattered us significantly.

We fans are responsible too. Clamoured for his appointment during that period. We reaped what we sowed.

roonster09

Scout
Funny enough the run had ended. I'm going off of memory but we had freshly started dropping results when he was made permanent. I remember because I made a post at the time reflecting how stupid it was that we didn't try to confirm if the recent poor results would continue, and they did. It was like fate gave us that chance to avoid disaster and we ignored it. If we had taken it we would be sighing in relief how we dodged a bullet by now. When I knew our board was grossly incompetent
Yeah, we were on 2 game losing streak when he was appointed.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We've becomed small time.

It's a fecking top 16 round, not a treble final. So we won and sucker punch them, big deal.

We're becoming liverpool, our highlight of the season is a flukey win against top sides.

Many teams won their match against big european teams, just another day in the business

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This game was just cherry on top. His record whilst caretaker manager was amazing. Just once that contract was signed it went to shit.

My theory is that the players, Pogba etc hated Jose so much at the end that they played out of their skins for ole to prove a point about freedom from conservative tactics. Now that ole has been there a year I suspect that some of them find his tactical/managerial experience lacking.
Of course the board has not helped at all by not replacing players who have left. Our squad hasn’t been able to cope
Even worse.

That means they can and know how to perform to spite jose, but suddenly forgets how now that ole's in charge.

All ole's got to do is change nothing if that's the case.