That night in Paris - was it worth it?

This game was just cherry on top. His record whilst caretaker manager was amazing. Just once that contract was signed it went to shit.

My theory is that the players, Pogba etc hated Jose so much at the end that they played out of their skins for ole to prove a point about freedom from conservative tactics. Now that ole has been there a year I suspect that some of them find his tactical/managerial experience lacking.
Of course the board has not helped at all by not replacing players who have left. Our squad hasn’t been able to cope
I think you’re theory is in part correct, but I also think the cloud lifting and a feel good factor plus the confidence that came with it was worth so much.
Once that confidence and feel good factor took a knock, it was down to what the manager can do as a coach.

Ince was so bang on sadly.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
It wasn't that performance that got OLE that job.
He got the job because woodward used legend to systematically lower the fans expectation without much of fuss.
That night didn't end up in any trophy worth mentioning but the feeling held for so many months. So wouldn't trade it for anything.

el3mel

This game was just cherry on top. His record whilst caretaker manager was amazing. Just once that contract was signed it went to shit.

My theory is that the players, Pogba etc hated Jose so much at the end that they played out of their skins for ole to prove a point about freedom from conservative tactics. Now that ole has been there a year I suspect that some of them find his tactical/managerial experience lacking.
Of course the board has not helped at all by not replacing players who have left. Our squad hasn’t been able to cope
It actually was about to go to shite before he signed it. We lost 2 games in a row against Arsenal and Wolves before that contract. Another club would have got worried a little bit and decided to postpone the contract for now but did we give a feck, we handed it to him anyway.

Jambalaya

Confused face at end of the game of that rat ADM made it woth it.

Canagel

He would still have got the job. The fans and media pressure was too much even before it and Woodward caved in.

Bwuk

One of the best nights in recent years. Of course it was worth it.

You sound like Goldbridge.

lex talionis

Is it a thing to be regretted that we beat one of the biggest names in club football in a CL tie in their own house?

I think not. Matches are played to be won.

If there really needs to be another Ole Out thread what I'd like to suggest is we hold off on that discussion until we see how we finished the season. We know that our performances overall have been woeful but there have been some bright spots and we can see with our own eyes improved performances -- all without Pogba and Rashford -- with the arrival of Bruno. I know we're all itching to have the debate over whether to sack Ole but May is now only two months away. Let's deal with whatever is going to be served up over the next two months and, if the facts on the ground warrant it, rip the manager's skin off and set it on fire. I'm hoping, however, that we finish the season well with at least one cup and a top four finish (top five will do, right?) and that the case to keep Ole will be strong. But we'll see about that.

It was worth it to see Neymar's little face and be the ones to give PSG their annual CL spanking.

siw2007

Definitely worth it. It is a brilliant memory and there was a hell of a buzz coming off that game, it’s one of the reasons why football is the greatest sport in the world.

Also it wound up Neymar so much which was the icing on the cake.

macheda14

I don't think so. We had dropped the 2 games before Ole's permanent appointment. Imo If we hadn't qualified against PSG those 2 results wouldn't have been overlooked. Staying in the CL in such stellar fashion gave him credit in the bank
Yeh but maybe if we had lost against PSG he would have won those and got CL - honestly who knows?

I liked the rat's reaction more.

To be fair to him i don't dislike him the way others do. His family hated it in England and after the robbery its understandable he wanted to leave.

fluwo

I was buzzing after that night! It was great and I wouldn't do anything about it. Also it gave us a first taste of what it feels like to matter again, after many years in the barren. That's the good part about beeing terrible for years, winning games like these feels just so much more special.

Reactions: jojojo

Zen86

I’m pretty sure football is all about nights like that... why on earth would you want to change it?

Okey

Was it worth recording a memorable victory that still brings a smile to our faces? Hell yeah! Life is about ups and downs. Football is no different. No club has only good times. Our good times will come again. Hopefully next time we claim a big European scalp, it won't be as massive underdogs.

Tony Babangida

She got famous from it and became a media sensation. Plus I got at least 3 wanks out of it. Overall I’d say it benefited her and me.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The answer to this question is quite simple:

Would you have wanted to see a grinning/smirking cocky Di Maria that night vs a dejected one? Right. Didn't think so. Nuff said.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
To be fair to him i don't dislike him the way others do. His family hated it in England and after the robbery its understandable he wanted to leave.
He never wanted to be here in the first place. He’s a snarky little prick.

Born2Lose

If you didn't enjoy that night, I really question why you bother following a specific football club.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
She got famous from it and became a media sensation. Plus I got at least 3 wanks out of it. Overall I’d say it benefited her and me.
Ha. Wonder how many people get that straight away? :)

Re the question, yes.... absolutely.

(and 20 years on, I still get a shiver when I hear "and Solskjaer has won it!")

Sometimes the trophies are memorable, sometimes it's moments. Enjoy them all.

Hambley

That result was brilliant in every way, although it played an evil joke with us. Many average players in the team just gave up playing till the very last game of the season because they felt as they achieved anything, beat a "top team" which let them relax and throw in the trash bin anything. The middle-table mentality which Ole sets up so hardly. Again, that night was wonderful, but the disastrous months which followed after that crossed out all positive feelings about it. Anyway, Ole's appointment didn't depend on the game outcome. Decision was taken much earlier. It was irrelevant how he dealt with PSG.

TheReligion

Abusive
Of course it was worth it. When you look at Greenwood in that game and now you can see how far both he and the group has come.

RUCK4444

Bollox. Sorry but shite like that happens in every country.

He should have manned the feck up, bought some big arse dogs and a security guard if need be.

I doubt it’s worse in Manchester than it is in the streets of Rosario.
It’s the crime capital of Argentina.

meamth

Not like we won the CL that year. If it had meant we would have looked for a proper manager then 100% would have changed it.
This guy with his "The right Manager" shyte.

All forum he goes spouting this shyte.

Cliche Guevara

It’s games that make Man United, not trophies!

I’d also like to know how the manner of the failure to win would have come about. Would it have relied on Rashford missing that penalty, for example?

Who knows how much a pivotal moment that goal was on his and United’s future.

clarkydaz

i remember Dani Alves doing kick ups in the game when they were winning. Twat, wouldnt change a thing

NYAS

I cried when we got the penalty because it was the first time I actually felt I was living in a dream. Honestly it was magic.

Absolutely unreal night.