"That" penalty...

Smith's Cove

jasonrh said:
Of course, cue TV commentators claiming some sort of horrible conspiracy to not give the opposition a fair shake because penalties are rare at OT - nothing at all to do with being the best team in the land over the last decade and a half...
Bang on with that comment jasonrh. I was watching the game with one of the English commentaries, the one with Robbie Earle and some bloke who's name I don't know. Anyway, instead of pointing out how soft the penalty was the unnamed guy spouts on for ages about how infrequently the opposition are awarded penalties at Old Trafford. Now, that was the second penalty that we have had awarded against us at Old Trafford in the League this season. Does anybody know how many Chelsea's opponents have been given at Stamford Bridge, Arsenal's at Ashburton Grove and Liverpool's at Anfield. I am guessing less than two between them. In addition, I can only remember United being awarded one penalty at home in the League this season versus Portsmouth.

Sonny Feehan

Get used to it. Even if we win the treble and the Ashes the media will try to put it down to luck. After Rooney and Ronaldo have put on a master class how the feck can anyone make a big deal about penalties and lack of atmosphere at OT? It sounded OK to me on tele and why would anyone expect many penalties against us at home when about 95% of the play is outside our box. Any Anoraks out there know how many penalties have been given against Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal at home not that it means anything really?

VP

Shocking decision.

I still don't think we need tv replays.

Bearded but no genius

Psmith said:
Shocking decision.

I still don't think we need tv replays.
I wouldn't want them to be used to reverse decisions - just to implement the electrogenital torture self-regulation system.

redmania

Shocking decision, could we have the ref banned for life if the title race come down to goal difference and one goal make the difference?

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
It was a very soft penalty, wouldn't worry about it though.

This made me laugh though:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=169467.0

Where on earth do they get their bitter shite from? On top of my head, I can remember 10 penalties against us at Old Trafford since the start of the Prem, and it is probably a few more that I've forgotten:

Fox (Norwich)
Sheridan (Sheff Wed)
Juninho (Boro)
Izzet (Leicester)
Dunn (Blackburn)
Murphy (Liverpool)
Earnshaw (WBA)
Silva (Arsenal)
Baines (Wigan)
Speed (Bolton)

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
CnutOfAllCnuts said:
It was a very soft penalty, wouldn't worry about it though.

This made me laugh though:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=169467.0

Where on earth do they get their bitter shite from? On top of my head, I can remember 10 penalties against us at Old Trafford since the start of the Prem, and it is probably a few more that I've forgotten:

Fox (Norwich)
Sheridan (Sheff Wed)
Juninho (Boro)
Izzet (Leicester)
Dunn (Blackburn)
Murphy (Liverpool)
Earnshaw (WBA)
Silva (Arsenal)
Baines (Wigan)
Speed (Bolton)
A post that makes sense:eek:

"Really don't get this away penalties at Old Trafford bollocks.

Most teams go to Old Trafford and defend and spend very little time in the United penalty area so it's no surprise that very few penalties are given.

Penalties aren't that common either.

A pretty meaningless statistic imo."

This is my favourite post though.

"people on here make me laugh.

Listen its a dodgy stat end of. 6 penalties in 14 years is ridiculous whichever way you cut it.

Bottom line is referees are too shit scared at OT and have been since the formation of premier league and since United become a world superpower among teams. As i've said before over the years, who do refs want to upset, Ferguson or the likes of Roy Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Ranieri, Alardyce etc etc the list goes on, but you damn well know the answer.

The state of the football nation is rotten and just watching todays Bolton Man Utd game was testimony to that. Bolton only got the decisions once they were out of it and it was a generous pen. On top of that Ronaldo has everyone so scared of his diving antics no bastard on the opposition will tackle or get near him. the defending today from bolton was schoolboy. No tight marking, no tracking back, too much backing off, no picking up of men, nothing.

Yeah Ronaldo is brill lets all bow down, but he is when the opposition dont put a foot in and on any of his mates. But rollback a few weeks to anfield and yeah we lost, but we got into them, we threw in the challenges and as a result they relied on a poxy effort. Giggs, Ronaldo and Rooney where no where to be seen, Giggs never got a touch, ronaldo got mashed by Sissoko and Carra and Rooney limped off.

Its a sad state of affairs when the opposition give up before the game as kicked off which is what happened today at OT."

Wizard Keyaz

Caf's Confucious
To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil
Richter said:
A post that makes sense:eek:

"Really don't get this away penalties at Old Trafford bollocks.

Most teams go to Old Trafford and defend and spend very little time in the United penalty area so it's no surprise that very few penalties are given.

Penalties aren't that common either.

A pretty meaningless statistic imo."

This is my favourite post though.

"people on here make me laugh.

Listen its a dodgy stat end of. 6 penalties in 14 years is ridiculous whichever way you cut it.

Bottom line is referees are too shit scared at OT and have been since the formation of premier league and since United become a world superpower among teams. As i've said before over the years, who do refs want to upset, Ferguson or the likes of Roy Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Ranieri, Alardyce etc etc the list goes on, but you damn well know the answer.

The state of the football nation is rotten and just watching todays Bolton Man Utd game was testimony to that. Bolton only got the decisions once they were out of it and it was a generous pen. On top of that Ronaldo has everyone so scared of his diving antics no bastard on the opposition will tackle or get near him. the defending today from bolton was schoolboy. No tight marking, no tracking back, too much backing off, no picking up of men, nothing.

Yeah Ronaldo is brill lets all bow down, but he is when the opposition dont put a foot in and on any of his mates. But rollback a few weeks to anfield and yeah we lost, but we got into them, we threw in the challenges and as a result they relied on a poxy effort. Giggs, Ronaldo and Rooney where no where to be seen, Giggs never got a touch, ronaldo got mashed by Sissoko and Carra and Rooney limped off.

Its a sad state of affairs when the opposition give up before the game as kicked off which is what happened today at OT."
It goes to show that there are some idiots arond

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
Based on another unforced and stupefying error amongst the many existing this season alone.....
Referees always have and always will make errors. They are humans.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Of course they are humans. It's just this and last season have been way too bad by recent standards. Look at Poll, once one of the best in the world..it's a big concern when refs "lose form" because it sticks out like a sore thumb or a mass of bleeding flesh in the middle of a high way..It's like they want to make sure the authorties bring in technology to help them....

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
Of course they are humans. It's just this and last season have been way too bad by recent standards. Look at Poll, once one of the best in the world..it's a big concern when refs "lose form" because it sticks out like a sore thumb or a mass of bleeding flesh in the middle of a high way..It's like they want to make sure the authorties bring in technology to help them....
Refs' mistakes are highlighted more. That's the difference.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
CnutOfAllCnuts said:
Refs' mistakes are highlighted more. That's the difference.
That's one truly one aspect of it. But in truth Premiership refs for me used to be collectively the best in Europe. Spanish and Italian refs where always usually awful in decision making except fro a few here and there. Yet now suddenly premiership refs seem to be taking after their continental counterparts. Which is a worrying trend...