That Rashford assist

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Thanks for the videos. Man, I miss football.

The Berbatov assist for Ronaldo gets way more love even though this was much better IMO.

I think because there were so many positives in Ole's first 14 games, this goal gets lost in it a bit.
Amazing assist from Rashford but this is just false. Berbatov's is so famous because it seems like he literally invented it on the spot, I'd never seen a move like that before and it was named after him. Elasticos have been done far before Rashford

Brightonian

What he does here is quite unbelievable. It's hard enough to spot Pogba's run, adjust your body, and aim the header with the right power and precision to land in Pogba's path, but Rashford does this after a 60 m sprint, where he also had to get away from the defender.
It's a great example of how often the run off the ball is the most important contribution to a goal. Here it's more significant than Lukaku progressing with the ball, his cross, Rashford's header (deft as it is) or Pogba's finish. The goal comes from the run.

meamth

They call it Berbaturn because it was nothing we've ever seen before.

Rashford is brilliant, but berba's will always go down as one of the best moments of brilliance in football.

Art Vandelay

Nice call, I completely forgot about this one. Really sweet composure and touch to get it to Pogba.

Lukaku was ridiculously good at crossing. Remember the extended period when he seemed to be the only player we had that could cross? He was shit at most other things, but he put in some wonderful crosses for us.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Lukaku was ridiculously good at crossing. Remember the extended period when he seemed to be the only player we had that could cross? He was shit at most other things, but he put in some wonderful crosses for us.
Should have kept his leaner physique and continued playing as a wide forward, receiving the ball in more space (protecting his shaky first touch), running at defences, and playing in/crossing for another CF.

Although I hear he's doing well for Inter so maybe Mourinho just ruined him.

SirAnderson

So true it was crazy. Literally wanted him to play on the wing to for that reason alone they way the other guys were atrocious.
Today still we not blessed with crossers of the ball, but it's a bit better.

Bobski

Yeah the great tragedy of football for me is that most of any team's best skills and attacks don't lead to goals, and quickly get forgotten.

That is football though isn't it? Many times I (and no doubt many others) have come out of a match or finished one on TV, and the moments that stay with me are not the goals, but little moments of play, a dribble that lead to nothing, a fantastic piece of control and imagination. The difficulty of scoring in football elevates those moments. That whole concept is why I believe it has taken so long for football to stick in the US, as spectators they have struggled to feel the joy in those moments, their sporting culture is stat and scoring based, there are few metrics to measure the joy of beautiful failure in football.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
How about this from Martial against Madrid? (I know not a competitive match but still)

Rolaholic

How about this from Martial against Madrid? (I know not a competitive match but still)

Him spinning Carvajal inside out like that Damn near made my jaw drop in real time :lol: :houllier:, so filthy.

If we're talking about Martial this might be one of the best assists I've seen in the last few seasons

Him and Rashford are so skillful technically with the ball at their feet

GailSpaceWynand

Him spinning Carvajal inside out like that Damn near made my jaw drop in real time :lol: :houllier:, so filthy.

If we're talking about Martial this might be one of the best assists I've seen in the last few seasons

Yea, it was amazing. So silky.

Eriku

Absolute filth.

Brightonian

The Platonic ideal of a Martial dribble :drool:

My memory is very bad... who did he score against after dribbling past a few defenders at absolute full speed and full stretch this season? It's in all his highlight videos at the moment, just managing to get his toe to the ball ahead of a different defender two times in a row before managing to just tip it past the keeper. It looked less majestic than some of his best dribbles because he was less in control but I think it was probably one of his best ever because if he had made a single one of those touches even slightly differently he wouldn't have got through, and he did it all at full pace. It takes a few views from a few angles to even make out how exactly he did it. Anyone help me out here?

GailSpaceWynand

The Platonic ideal of a Martial dribble :drool:

My memory is very bad... who did he score against after dribbling past a few defenders at absolute full speed and full stretch this season? It's in all his highlight videos at the moment, just managing to get his toe to the ball ahead of a different defender two times in a row before managing to just tip it past the keeper. It looked less majestic than some of his best dribbles because he was less in control but I think it was probably one of his best ever because if he had made a single one of those touches even slightly differently he wouldn't have got through, and he did it all at full pace. It takes a few views from a few angles to even make out how exactly he did it. Anyone help me out here?
Partizan in the EL maybe?

Brightonian

Just re-encountered this from Mata and thought it might be worth resurrecting this unofficial filthy assist thread...

bondsname

Amazing assist from Rashford but this is just false. Berbatov's is so famous because it seems like he literally invented it on the spot, I'd never seen a move like that before and it was named after him. Elasticos have been done far before Rashford
So Berbatovs move is better because he was the first one to do it? I think Berbatovs was better because it was more aesthetically pleasing than Rashfords move.

So Berbatovs move is better because he was the first one to do it? I think Berbatovs was better because it was more aesthetically pleasing than Rashfords move.
More so for me that it was not only more aesthetically pleasing, but that there's a good chance he thought of it and executed it perfectly in a split second.