That Rooney vs Ronaldo World Cup 2006 incident

MDFC Manager

I remember wanting Ronaldo gone. But I was also pissed at the time :lol:
Me too, I think. Glad we had Fergie around at the time who handled it perfectly and also used the episode to kick off our most dominant spell ever.

Camilo

Only a moron listens to media opinion. If you're not really bothered but the news says you should be, you're probably in very good company. They just like to shit stir.

I couldn't have given less of a shit at the time. But then again I'm Scottish and so don't have that blind spot.

Andersons Dietician

I seem to recall after all the drama of that and the imagery of Rooney painted in the England flag holding a severed Ronaldo head we played Charlton and smashed them and both played excellently. Wasn’t that the start of when Ronaldo became an absolute machine as well.

TsuWave

Ronaldo did nothing wrong, and you would have only felt he did if you bought into what dickhead pundits were pushing then.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I didn't really care about the match or teams so the incident didn't bother me, was more concerned with how it would effect United and wanted both to stay. Thankfully the players didn't take it as serous as the English media made out, but I'm sure Fergie had an influence on that.

I met Ronaldo the day he returned to Manchester - he was loitering outside a supermarket in south manchester for about an hour, with a group people. It seems he was gauging public reaction - only a few people seemed to notice him and a some people including myself said a few things to him. All seemed to be United fans just saying hello.

I didn't mention the incident, just said I hope United win the league and he said he thought they would.

Looking back rooney did well to bury it and get on with club football again. Many players' ego would prevent them doing that

Nick7

Clear red card. Rooney was a cnut there.

13 years later and I still haven’t a fecking clue what Ronaldo did “wrong” there according to the Brits. Rooney stamped on a mans cock for gods sake.

arnie_ni

Clear red card and if it happened say rashford today you'll well believe every ome of our players would do exactly what ronaldo and his team mates done.

Nothing to see.

Nico87

I admired the nerve of Rooney for coming out afterwards and denying he meant to stamp on him, like he’d been caught on a bit of grainy CCTV footage filmed in an Asda car park, as opposed to 40 odd high resolution cameras zoomed into him thrusting his boot into a downed mans groin.

I remember my only real opinion was worry that the media eaction may drive out Ronaldo. I think even Valencia put in a bid afterwards but I didn’t resent him or Rooney in any way. Probably aided by the act I don’t have same investment in international football and in particular that England team despite having so much quality was quite easy to dislike, especially when you pkay Gerrard, Terry and Cole.

MrEleson

I remember placing a £10 bet with my neighbour that Ronaldo would still play for United the following season as he was convinced that United would axe him from the team and sell him to Real Madrid.

It was from around March-April 2006 that I started to believe that Ronaldo would someday be the best in the world (while everyone was still on the Rooney bandwagon) & his World Cup performances further reinforced that. As a result, I always felt that Sir Alex Ferguson would do everything to keep him at the club after that incident.