That treble season...

Thisistheone

And we're back to real madrid...or if you prefer, milan 07/08

I'm not, the human element as you put it was the only reason the tie was close. Because the teams were not. Ultimately there were 4 really great teams in CL that season. 3 made the SF, the other had the bad luck of being drawn into a group with 2 others
#

If you tried telling Sir Alex Ferguson that Juventus side wasn't top quality he'd tell you to get to feck.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Liverpools treble dream in tatters. How many defeats is that for Liverpool this season now? Man united 1998-99 only lost 4 times in all competitions.
Liverpoo lost 5 matches already.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It was a piss weak league and cup teams back then. Europe was really shit, Barca, Milan, Madrid all shit. No Ronaldo or Messi around.
Final proof, if ever was needed, that this guy is Dumb. QED :D

Yagami

Good post resistant
The CL final result was a bit jammy though, if we are being honest.

Good side though and they beat some good teams during that CL run.
They were more than just a good side, though. They were a great one.

kidbob

Most CL wins are jammy to be honest. Barca shouldn't have got past Chelsea in 09, Madrid were lucky against Bayern, Liverpool lucky against Milan, Porto lucky against United, Chelsea lucky against Bayern, Inter lucky against Barca etc. There's probably very few wins that haven't had an element of luck.

Thisistheone

It was but we were missing Keane and Scholes. Our first choice side would probably have done the job easier but then we'd never have had the most dramatic ending to a final ever so I wouldn't change a thing.

Djemba-Djemba

Champions in a season when everyone else was really shite.

That's how they'll be remembered. Comparisons to the 99 team are of course laughable.

always_hoping

In the last few weeks.

Liverpools unbeaten season - ended thanks to Watford

Liverpools treble hopes - Ended by Chelsea

Liverpools opportunity to defend the champions league title - Ended by Atletico Madrid

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Put some respect on this lot. Comparing them to this Liverpool side? Feck off!
Because their backup goalkeeper fecked up? Come on. Trebles(and invincible league seasons) are incredible achievements, but they're not a good metric of comparison between teams across different eras. So much of it comes down to bounces just going your way

I mean, the greatest barcelona side of all time, perhaps the greatest club side of all time, didn't pull it off, but a clearly inferior version of that side did

Liverpool themselves were better last season, too, but didn't pull off the kind of run they had in this one

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
‘’What this team has done really since 17/18 but mostly from the start of 18/19 is something any United team could only dream off. Imagine the joy of being able to win the title with just 91 points’’ Liverpool fans on reddit.

They would rather win the league on 90 points plus than winning treble and win the league 3 in a row. :lol::lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Because their backup goalkeeper fecked up? Come on. Trebles(and invincible league seasons) are incredible achievements, but they're not a good metric of comparison between teams across different eras. So much of it comes down to bounces just going your way

I mean, the greatest barcelona side of all time, perhaps the greatest club side of all time, didn't pull it off, but a clearly inferior version of that side did

Liverpool themselves were better last season, too, but didn't pull off the kind of run they had in this one
United fans weren't the ones who started comparing them to begin with, you know? Same with City last year. The treble team is the go to team that people like comparing recent successful British sides to all of a sudden. Us United fans just tell them what nonsense it is and that's it basically.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Have you watched much of Liverpool this season? They've had so many "bounces going their way" its ridiculous.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
‘’What this team has done really since 17/18 but mostly from the start of 18/19 is something any United team could only dream off. Imagine the joy of being able to win the title with just 91 points’’ Liverpool fans on reddit.

They would rather win the league on 90 points plus than winning treble and win the league 3 in a row. :lol::lol:
I wouldn't read too much into that. r/soccer is arguably the worst football forum around.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
From Invincibles and chasing a treble 10 days ago to just the league title.

You need to be made of sterner stuff to do even a league and cup double. You need to be a generational team to do a treble. Liverpool are neither.

Bojan11

Blaming their GK over two legs is silly. They had a lot of chances to bury that game.

We had Scholes and Keane missing in the final, we still won it. I rather have a Gk missing than our best two midfielders.

Djemba-Djemba

United fans weren't the ones who started comparing them to begin with, you know? Same with City last year. The treble team is the go to team that people like comparing recent successful British sides to all of a sudden. Us United fans just tell them what nonsense it is and that's it basically.
I mean has anyone really even gotten close to winning the Treble over here since 1999?

Us in 2007 and 2009 were probably the closest to doing it but it feels like every season whoever is leading the table gets favourably compared to the 99 team.

Sweet Square

Its odd thing to say but people massively underrated the treble winning team and really most of the great 20th century teams.

Bojan11

I mean has anyone really even gotten close to winning the Treble over here since 1999?

Us in 2007 and 2009 were probably the closest to doing it but it feels like every season whoever is leading the table gets favourably compared to the 99 team.
2008 was a missed chance. We should have beaten Pompey and I remember carefully we were denied a blatant penalty that game.

Djemba-Djemba

Carragher sounded stupid trying to argue this Liverpool side were better than the 99 team at the time, but now it looks even more laughable.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Closest was probably City last year, if I remember correctly.

That bloody Portsmouth game, though!

RedCurry

In the last few weeks.

Liverpools opportunity to defend the champions league title - Ended by Atletico Madrid
That is a treble in its own right

Every year this happens and people never learn, to win the treble in this country is a once on a lifetime thing, yet the media and some fans would have you think it’s always on the cards for someone... it aint.

I might never be done again in my lifetime. In many respects it’s pretty disrespectful that it’s even brought up.

Dante

Average bang
In the last few weeks.

And their first league title in decades - Ended by the corona virus.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

We came closest in 2008.

Portsmouth :mad:

Dustin :mad::mad:

adamwest

I will never ever forget that moment when Ole won it for us. I was 11 and in absolute ecstasy - sliding on my knees in a social club with my old man and a few of his mates. Obviously already loved football and United at that point but that was so fecking magical. Will not be done again my lifetime I don’t think.

Fts 74

It could well be done again but not in the same way
2 goals in injury time in UCL final.

Giggs goal in the semi final down to 10 men Schmeichel saving a pen.

Coming from 2 down away to a great juve side(wasn't a certain Zidane playing I'm not sure)

Coming from a goal down in last league game of the season Becks and Coles chip.

FA cup 3rd round goal down at OT against the scouse 2 goals in last 5 mins.
I could go on.....

Unbelievable magical never be repeated how lucky were we to live through that!

Gazza

Look up the whole squads and if you think inter and juventus had the better players, fair enough. We disagree

I really, really don't

I think it was more a matter of you being poor, particularly the first half. Was similar in the second leg as well. You were terrified and both times it took time and desperation before you settled your nerves and started playing like yourselves(and both times you completely took over as soon as you did)

Anyways, sure, of course. Once again, irrelevant to my point though
No problem because I wasn’t responding to your point.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

But the thing is the 99 team didn't win because they had bounces going their way. They were behind a few times but never quit, pulled out draws when could have lost (Juve 1st leg), beat a REALLY good Arsenal team with 10 men.

Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Arsenal, Juventus. You try and find a deflection or dodgy penalty in those games.

It wasn't down to lucky bounces... it was talent and being probably the most mentally tough team I've ever seen.

I don't understand why a Madrid fan goes out of their way to argue the toss on this point (like googling where Juve and Inter finished in the league). Closet scouser?

(Celebrate your treble. What year was that?)

Last edited:

Inter Yer Nan

A truly great team excels in both league AND champions league the same season. You can't get dumped out the first knockout tie and call yourself a great team because you've won the league for the first time in 30 years. English league has been bad and City have been woefully unlucky with injuries not to mention a lot of favorable decisions early in the season which created the insurmountable lead.

Schmeichel=God

I will never ever forget that moment when Ole won it for us. I was 11 and in absolute ecstasy - sliding on my knees in a social club with my old man and a few of his mates. Obviously already loved football and United at that point but that was so fecking magical. Will not be done again my lifetime I don’t think.
I ran round the block topless. Shared it with just my nana, priceless.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hilarious to see some of the "Neutrals" with their mental gymnastics to play down the treble.