That treble season...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because their backup goalkeeper fecked up? Come on. Trebles(and invincible league seasons) are incredible achievements, but they're not a good metric of comparison between teams across different eras. So much of it comes down to bounces just going your way

I mean, the greatest barcelona side of all time, perhaps the greatest club side of all time, didn't pull it off, but a clearly inferior version of that side did

Liverpool themselves were better last season, too, but didn't pull off the kind of run they had in this one
Wow they had one player injured. Poor souls.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Also your own players not performing well isn't an example of things 'not going your way'. In that case any bad peformance can be put down to the 'stars not aligning'. Livepool didn't do enough, and they're out.

reelworld

But the thing is the 99 team didn't win because they had bounces going their way. They were behind a few times but never quit, pulled out draws when could have lost (Juve 1st leg), beat a REALLY good Arsenal team with 10 men.

Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Arsenal, Juventus. You try and find a deflection or dodgy penalty in those games.

It wasn't down to lucky bounces... it was talent and being probably the most mentally tough team I've ever seen.

I don't understand why a Madrid fan goes out of their way to argue the toss on this point (like googling where Juve and Inter finished in the league). Closet scouser?

(Celebrate your treble. What year was that?)
The amount of things that didn't go our way was ridiculous that season.
FA Cup: Draw only PL sides except Fulham, replays against Chelsea. 10 men down at SF, conceded a penalty. Lost the captain in the final. Still won
Champions League: Group of death. Denied a win the last group game against Bayern due to Big Pete screwup. Down 2-0 in the first 10 minutes of SF, away. No first choice midfield for the final. Down 1-0 at the final until injury time. Still won
Premier League: Beckham was fecking vilified at every away grounds. Schmikes cost us points during winter that Ferguson had to rely our second choice keeper for a few games so he can send him to take a break. Down 1-0 at the last must-win game of the season. Still won

The most unbelievable thing about that United team is their mental strength.

Raw

Speaks volumes that no other team has even managed to win the CL and League in the same season, let alone the treble. Fergie is a genius.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

OTD 1999.

Great BTS footage about that year’s final. That United team had some unbeatable team spirit. Our two best midfielders suspended which led to a patch-up job in their absence, yet still got the job done.

This was the culmination of an epic 10 days in United’s history. Three cup finals, in essence, and all won under immense pressure knowing the historic Treble was on the line.

Unbelievable.

RUCK4444

OTD 1999.

Great BTS footage about that year’s final. That United team had some unbeatable team spirit. Our two best midfielders suspended which led to a patch-up job in their absence, yet still got the job done.

This was the culmination of an epic 10 days in United’s history. Three cup finals, in essence, and all won under immense pressure knowing the historic Treble was on the line.

Unbelievable.
Incredible. Will give this a watch today.

That team spirit and determination was the embodiment of Sir Alex on the pitch, a side that truly mirrored its manager.

Tel074

Sky doing that team comparison or Jamie doing that team comparison shows a reason why Liverpool are so hated .
They have had a brilliant season they deserve to win the league but let's compare them to the English team who had the greatest ever season .
VVD is one of the best few CB in the world but let's say he is the one of the best CB who's ever played the game .
Alison is a super keeper but let's say he's the best in the world and compare him to the greatest keepers ever .

They can't help themselves get carried away .

youngrell

OTD 1999.

Unbelievable.
Matthaus :lol:

Idxomer

The greatest achievement in English football.

Martin Tyler didn't even mention who holds the honor at the start of the game, feck off.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
City played in three competitions this week. Lost in two. Not unusual. That’s why it gets so difficult at this stage. Their fixture congestion wasn’t even as unmanageable as it has been for other teams going for this in the past.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

OTD 1999.

Unbelievable.
Ole's comments. :lol:

"When Teddy scored, I can only remember shouting for joy.....was thrilled to get to play an extra 30 minutes in a CL final, I was going to learn from that experience. Obviously that didn't happen and I only got myself to blame for that."

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Has this ridiculous treble / quad talk always been there? It’s incredibly difficult to win a treble in England with so many games being played. Both Chelsea and United in 2006/07 reached the FA Cup final and CL semis and were fighting for the title. So until very late in the season both were still in for a treble but neither team won it at the end. But I don’t remember that much treble talk back then by the media.

Dante

Average bang
Ole's comments. :lol:

"When Teddy scored, I can only remember shouting for joy.....was thrilled to get to play an extra 30 minutes in a CL final, I was going to learn from that experience. Obviously that didn't happen and I only got myself to blame for that."
:lol:
Love that!