The “Ole doesn’t have the players to work with” myth

jackal&hyde

People cant get their mind straight about Ole though. There will always be stupid and mind boggling excuses after excuses line up for him.
Also some don't want to see the bigger picture and are hoping that changing one man is going to fix it all. It's the easy solution, also one that does not fix anything like we've seen over the years.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That may be the case and might be the case again in the future. He has to stand up for himself or they will short change him time and again.
When you said "stand up" isn't moaning & complaining in public like some certain manager did right? Moaning & complaining in public is doing nothing positive but negatively impact to the club, may be behind the scene he's done it & had discussion with Ed.

Alabaster Codify7

I would like to see how he goes with a fit Pogba, one more mid and one more striker.

Give him that and 2 months.
Why, you've already seen it?
He plays him as a second CDM despite him being our only creative midfielder, and despite spending £130m on a defence he still feels needs TWO defensive barriers to protect them.

We still played shit, defensive underdog football with Pogba. Because Ole is a defensive, mediocre underdog manager.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He plays him as a second CDM despite him being our only creative midfielder, and despite spending £130m on a defence he still feels needs TWO defensive barriers to protect them.

We still played shit, defensive underdog football with Pogba. Because Ole is a defensive, mediocre underdog manager.
Guaranteed, Pereira will make way when Pogba returns and we'll play with Fred and McSauce.

Kemizee

If he has the players to work with then why all the threads about the need to strengthen, buy a horde of midfielders etc.?
Does he have the players to win the league? Nope. Not at all

Should he be doing better with the current players at his disposal? A big YES.

Eric's Seagull

What if he wanted to buy but the board failed to deliver?
I think you may be right here as that is something I have though all along. I think a lot of people may have seen that we would be screwed when injuries occur with a midfield so thin. I think Ole would have thought of this terrible scenario possibly occurring and would have wanted another player so that we wouldn't be in the sh!te we are in now.

Paul_Scholes18

It is no coincidence that the top performing teams like Leicester and Chelsea have had minimal injuries this season. Liverpool looked shaky when their keeper was out, got lucky not to drop points during that period.
Chelsea has had Rudiger, Kante and Barkley out. City have had lots of injuries too. We have not had that many injuries this season and should not use it as an excuse. Pogba is a blow, but he didn't perform before his injury anyway.

elánius

Ole has no football vision so he can have 50 more players but it will be the same chaos and random results like it it's this season and he uses young players as an excuses (like Mourinho did). Is Williams ready to play for the team? Hell no, but he put him there for some reason, so we had to play with back 3 and it cost us the game (actually it cost us twice).

He is manager for almost 12 months now and the team has no face, no football style, no prefered formation. They focus on defending but its still pretty average. What is the plan? Why he needs more time?

LVGSdive

Can this nonsense please stop now?

We’re being outplayed by a Sheffield United team filled with Championship players as well as some who I believe have been there since they were in League 1 ffs.

People need to stop judging a manager on nothing more than the side he picks. If selecting the best match squad possible from the currently available players was all there was to being a manager then any idiot on here could do it.

Good managers make their teams better than the sum of their parts and they improve the players they work with. It’s what goes on between games that makes the difference, and we’re seeing nothing to suggest there is any kind of worthwhile work being done at Carrington right now.
I don't understand why people on here keep saying that Sheffield United players are Championship or League 1 players. They're sixth in the league, have given us, Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, and Spurs hard competitive games and they haven't lost away from home this season. They are in the Premier League now because they played their way out of League 1 and the Championship.

Vardy is the Premier Leagues best striker this season and he is from the Conference.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't understand why people on here keep saying that Sheffield United players are Championship or League 1 players. They're sixth in the league, have given us, Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, and Spurs hard competitive games and they haven't lost away from home this season. They are in the Premier League now because they played their way out of League 1 and the Championship.

Vardy is the Premier Leagues best striker this season and he is from the Conference.
That actually strengthen the point of the OP. These players for a large part directly come from League one and the championship, the reason they are good in the PL is directly linked to the work of the coaching staff. Otherwise are we going to claim that our current players aren't of the same standard than championship or League one players?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Vardy has far more experience at the top level than any of our strikers as well. He’s clearly worked hard at his game. In the same way James has looked more PL level than a whole lot of players currently representing their clubs.
It’s about the attitude

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That actually strengthen the point of the OP. These players for a large part directly come from League one and the championship, the reason they are good in the PL is directly linked to the work of the coaching staff. Otherwise are we going to claim that our current players aren't of the same standard than championship or League one players?
No it doesn’t, it’s like saying the reason James is good in PL because directly linked to the work of the Ole and his staff. OP & yourself are ignoring the fact that Pereira is playing in that game. Why people can’t accept that Pereira is just worse than Sheffield midfielder, you can’t expect to see a pair of Pereira & Fred to dominate the midfield in Sheffield United home game. I doubt even Pep can make it work. Sheffield got a draw against Chelsea in stamford bridge, it was always gonna be a tough game especially with injuries that we got in midfield.

JPRouve

Scout
No it doesn’t, it’s like saying the reason James is good in PL because directly linked to the work of the Ole and his staff. OP & yourself are ignoring the fact that Pereira is playing in that game. Why people can’t accept that Pereira is just worse than Sheffield midfielder, you can’t expect to see a pair of Pereira & Fred to dominate the midfield in Sheffield United home game. I doubt even Pep can make it work. Sheffield got a draw against Chelsea in stamford bridge.
So after 11 months you can't expect to see a midfielder that was praised for his CL performances and Pereira to be coached into being at least the equivalent of players who were at championship level and below during the last 24 months?

georgipep

So after 11 months you can't expect to see a midfielder that was praised for his CL performances and Pereira to be coached into being at least the equivalent of players who were at championship level and below during the last 24 months?
Team formations and players (I can't post images)

Do you notice something around both teams' midfields?
Do you expect Fred and Pereira (let's count them together, Fred - 1, Pereira - 2) to be able to cope with Fleck, Norwood and Lundstram (again, Fleck -1, Norwood - 2, Lundstram - 3)?

And before you say it, we didn't have any other HEALTHY midfielders to come in that squad.
And before you say the other thing, no, Garner would have been bullied off the park in that game.
And before you say the other, other thing, we tried to buy a midfielder in the summer but Newcastle didn't want to sell. And no, we didn't want to buy any other midfielder (as far as we know) because we don't want just any midfielder.

Did you watch the game? Sheffield United are a VERY physical team with very aggressive style. If they play in the same manner at Old Trafford, the ref would give them several yellow cards before half time. Of course, playing at Bramall Lane is a completely different story because the crowd pressures refs to allow a more physical game.

JPRouve

Scout
Team formations and players (I can't post images)

Do you notice something around both teams' midfields?
Do you expect Fred and Pereira (let's count them together, Fred - 1, Pereira - 2) to be able to cope with Fleck, Norwood and Lundstram (again, Fleck -1, Norwood - 2, Lundstram - 3)?

And before you say it, we didn't have any other HEALTHY midfielders to come in that squad.
And before you say the other thing, no, Garner would have been bullied off the park in that game.
And before you say the other, other thing, we tried to buy a midfielder in the summer but Newcastle didn't want to sell. And no, we didn't want to buy any other midfielder (as far as we know) because we don't want just any midfielder.

Did you watch the game? Sheffield United are a VERY physical team with very aggressive style. If they play in the same manner at Old Trafford, the ref would give them several yellow cards before half time. Of course, playing at Bramall Lane is a completely different story because the crowd pressures refs to allow a more physical game.
I'm not sure why that post is adressed to me, I'm not the one arguing that Pereira and Fred are by default worse than Sheffield midfielders. I simply credited their manager for his work which has little to do with your answer to my post.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Are you actually being serious? Or you are just trying to argue here because there is zero sense at all in what you just said.

Pereira did feck all in that game. What a one man Fred can do against 3 Sheffield midfielder?

Do you even watch our game last season and this season? I think anyone who watch the game will understand that Pereira is just not good enough, the guy did feck all last season to even deserve a new contract or even play as a backup option, barely even getting involved last season and this season pretty much confirm it.

If you are still on and on with your lame excuse about Sheffield United midfielder is championship level, may be you should figure out the answer why player who spent their career last season at championship like Daniel James is now playing ahead of the likes Lingard who has good amount of experiences in PL level & top European level and why player who played in championship like Tuanzebe is now ahead of EPL title winner & good enough of experiences in PL like Jones & Smalling in pecking order. It’s not impossible for a player who spent their career previously in championship to be better than some EPL players.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Are you actually being serious? Or you are just trying to argue here because there is zero sense at all in what you just said.

Pereira did feck all in that game. What a one man Fred can do against 3 Sheffield midfielder?

Do you even watch our game last season and this season? I think anyone who watch the game will understand that Pereira is just not good enough, the guy did feck all last season to even deserve a new contract, barely even getting involved last season and this season pretty much confirm it.

If you are still on and on with your lame excuse about Sheffield United midfielder is championship level, may be you should figure out the answer why player who spent their career last season at championship like Daniel James is now playing ahead of the likes Lingard who has good amount of experiences in PL level & top European level and why player who played in championship like Tuanzebe is not ahead of EPL title winner & good enough of experiences in PL like Jones & Smalling in pecking order?
Look it's very simple, Pereira, Fred and United as a whole not being good is mainly down to coaching and the clear lack of development of our players, associated with a clear lack of tactical nous from the coaching staffs, that's my point and the OPs point. Wilder took Championship and League one players and turned some of them into bonafide PL players and also helped others cope with their deficiencies with tactical organizations, that is to his credit. My point is that he wasn't given better players, he worked with what he had and through coaching, he relatively quickly took them from L1 level to CH level to PL level and I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing with the likes of Pereira or Fred.

Rista

These players were hailed as being much better than Jose's 2nd place finish on here. Then some suggest the squad is worse now BUT Ole's recruitment is great. Something doesn't add up any way you slice it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If he's doing everything right (playing youngsters, buying the right players, instilling the right attitude) but the team is in its worst position on the PL table (which will most likely be the case at the end of the season), then surely his level is not Manchester United and we should already be looking for better alternatives who follow the same principles as he does.
Certainly, I don't disagree.

In fact, for me - personally - what we've seen on the pitch so far makes it nothing but prudent to prepare for a scenario of the sort you suggest. And "prepare" should mean sounding out potential replacements - yes.

Under the circumstances I don't think that would amount to undermining him either - he's being tested here, you could say, and needs to deliver convincingly.

georgipep

I'm not sure why that post is adressed to me, I'm not the one arguing that Pereira and Fred are by default worse than Sheffield midfielders. I simply credited their manager for his work which has little to do with your answer to my post.
I don't see how coaching can make up for being overrun in numbers. Pereira is also not a natural midfielder and doesn't excel in that position. Not sure Ole, Pep, Poch, Jose, Chris Wilder or any other coach in the world can change that to an extent to make a difference.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't see how coaching can make up for being overrun in numbers. Pereira is also not a natural midfielder and doesn't excel in that position. Not sure Ole, Pep, Poch, Jose, Chris Wilder or any other coach in the world can change that to an extent to make a difference.
Which is why I didn't get your post. I wasn't particularly talking about the last game but the evolution of the Sheffield players over the last 24 months compared to our own players Pereira and Fred being examples. Also we scored three goals after a tactical change, so clearly there were changes to be made and when Ole finally made them we saw a big difference, so lets not pretend that the game was lost before it even started. The coaching staff didn't prepare the team properly, the players probably didn't execute properly too and we struggled until some changes were made.

Paul_Scholes18

These players were hailed as being much better than Jose's 2nd place finish on here. Then some suggest the squad is worse now BUT Ole's recruitment is great. Something doesn't add up any way you slice it.
Different persons with different opinions. The squad is worse now no doubt since our players have not improved much. That certainly do not speak well about our manager. We also let some good players go and others like Young, Matic, Mata have aged.

georgipep

Which is why I didn't get your post. I wasn't particularly talking about the last game but the evolution of the Sheffield players over the last 24 months compared to our own players Pereira and Fred being examples. Also we scored three goals after a tactical change, so clearly there were changes to be made and when Ole finally made them we saw a big difference, so lets not pretend that the game was lost before it even started. The coaching staff didn't prepare the team properly, the players probably didn't execute properly too and we struggled until some changes were made.
I, personally, see a huge improvement in the way Fred plays in the last month. And I attribute that improvement to Ole's and his staff's coaching. As for Pereira, I quite like his style in the n10 position but have my reservations on his long-term future at the club. And I don't think it has anything to do with our management's ability to coach and improve players, more with Pereira's own limitations.

As for the tactical change and subsequent 3 goals we scored, it also has a lot to do with risk taking and tiredness. We couldn't start the game with such an attacking intent as it would expose us too much on the counter (hindsight is a brilliant thing, knowing we would concede two goals as we did). Also, the Sheffield defense was tired of pressing higher up the field, not allowing us the space required for our pacey attackers.

I, honestly, don't see how our coaching staff could have prepared better for this game considering our limited options in midfield and the aggressiveness of the opponent (further elevated by the refs allowing them to play that way)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Look it's very simple, Pereira, Fred and United as a whole not being good is mainly down to coaching and the clear lack of development of our players, associated with a clear lack of tactical nous from the coaching staffs, that's my point and the OPs point. Wilder took Championship and League one players and turned some of them into bonafide PL players and also helped others cope with their deficiencies with tactical organizations, that is to his credit. My point is that he wasn't given better players, he worked with what he had and through coaching, he relatively quickly took them from L1 level to CH level to PL level and I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing with the likes of Pereira or Fred.
In your logic I could say the same thing then.

Players like McTominay, Rashford, Martial, Daniel James, Fred and others especially the teenagers have shown improvement this season because down the coaching staff as well. Ole wasn’t given better players, Rashford or Martial wasn’t better than Lukaku and so does McTominay wasn’t better than Herrera. Ole worked with what he had and he didn’t even have as much time as Wilder to spent coaching the players and in shorter period of time he was able to make improvement on the players. So what are you trying to against here, our manager also improve a lot of our players.

At the end of the day you have to look the reality and talk some sense we hit injuries which limit the option of our midfield so the manager had to play a player who is more a AM not a DM or even a CM to play in a position that is clearly he is not good at it. You can’t expect to see Pereira & Fred duo to dominate against Sheffield midfielder, even I doubt Pep even can do it. How can a one man Fred playing with a such non existent midfielder as his partner to do everything by himself against 3 of Sheffield midfielder?

Foxbatt

I can't believe some of the nonsense I am seeing here. Either you have it or don''t. Ole Gunnar has repeatedly said that he wanted certain players only and they were not available. Fair enough on that. Now some of you are claiming that any midfield in the PL is better than us. Fair enough. So what is it? If they are better than us why didn't Ole just go and get any two midfield players in the PL? Then we would not have to play Pereira and Fred. We would have better midfield players than them. We would not have spend 100s of millions of pounds.

All this is Ole's fault. He could have bought better midfield players than he has now for almost peanuts. No he wanted to bring only certain world class players. Those world class players are not going to come to a mid table club to be coached by a nobody. He is making the same assumptions that Moyes made. That he is a top class manager/coach and world class players are jumping at the chance to play for Manchester United and for Ole. Get real.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I can't believe some of the nonsense I am seeing here. Either you have it or don''t. Ole Gunnar has repeatedly said that he wanted certain players only and they were not available. Fair enough on that. Now some of you are claiming that any midfield in the PL is better than us. Fair enough. So what is it? If they are better than us why didn't Ole just go and get any two midfield players in the PL? Then we would not have to play Pereira and Fred. We would have better midfield players than them. We would not have spend 100s of millions of pounds.

All this is Ole's fault. He could have bought better midfield players than he has now for almost peanuts. No he wanted to bring only certain world class players. Those world class players are not going to come to a mid table club to be coached by a nobody. He is making the same assumptions that Moyes made. That he is a top class manager/coach and world class players are jumping at the chance to play for Manchester United and for Ole. Get real.
You are talking assumption here. There is no evidence that he wanted to bring only certain world class players. At the end of the day we know feck all behind the scene. However we can take it from Ole’s interview or press conference that he said he wants a midfielder. So he really did want to sign midfield but may be the board fail to deliver.

alexthelion

How a thread can be made titled the way it is in direct response to a game where Ole is forced to play Fred and Andreas in midfield and question the validity of this so called myth is highly ironic
Stop using facts against someone having an irrational rant.

Anyone who thinks a midfield containing Fred and Andreas and think it is good enough needs to go and see a shrink. No manager will do well with our midfield (even when McTom is back).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No he wanted to bring only certain world class players.
You can interpret the noises made by both Ole himself and Woodward in various ways. Pure spin, pure bollocks, pure excuses - whatever. But you certainly cannot interpret them, reasonably, to mean that we're now targeting only ready-made "world class" players.

The actual targets brought in do not fit that description either. Well, Maguire certainly came at a ready-made, world class fee - but there you go, that's the nature of buying from PL teams these days.

MaREDcus

He's a bang average manager, at best, who consistently gets the team performing at a level which is less than the sum of their parts. I'd back almost all of the other EPL managers to get more out the team than he does.
Agree, just look at what Lampard is doing with Chelsea. Player for player, we have a better squad than them!

OleTheGreat

Imo I think he does have a depleted squad. With Lukaku and Sanchez gone we have very few attacking options. Our midfield looks clueless and Herrera was a huge loss. Let's take this player by player and assess Ole's true options

David De Gea- BEST in the world! [IN]
Romero- Best backup keeper we can ask for.[IN]
Phil Jones- he was good under Van Gaal and sometimes under Mourinho and I don't want to judge him based on one mistake but I think that mistake was pretty basic. He can still be a squad player but in a back 4.[IN]
Young- Has been a great servant but should've sold a long time ago.[OUT]
Rojo- he is actually a pretty good defender and passes the ball forward on the ground every chance he gets. He's fearless and can definitely play his part every season. Has mistakes in him but his bravery wins him a place [IN]
Axel Timothy- a prospect [IN]
Bailly- should be sold. Injury-prone [OUT]
Lindelof- Should actually do better than he is right now but I think he is good. [IN]
Dalot- a prospect but injury-prone [IN]
Bissaka- BEST at what he does but he has mistakes in him but he's a human after all. [IN]
Maguire- can expand his passing range but defensively he's one of the best. [IN]
Williams- a prospect [IN]
Periera- must leave sooner rather than later. When he loses it, he loses it all and can never fight back. [OUT]
Pogba- need him back ASAP. [IN]
Mctominay- same as above. Has become an integral part of our midfield and the Sheffield match proved it. [IN]
Gomes- still very young but I think he can grow up to become one of the best. [IN]
Matic- old and slow. [OUT]
Fred- surprised he's not what I thought he would be. He loses possession every time a physical challenge is made and that's not good enough. [OUT]
Garner- no comments
Mata- old and slow but his movement and touches are one of the best in the world, he should be the role model for many of our youngsters. Squad Player [IN]
Lingard- Given him lots of time and I think he is not good enough for United. [OUT]
Martial- great when his mind is in the game. got to focus. [IN]
Rashford- works his socks off every game and cannot complain. [IN]
Chong- still very young. [OUT]
Greenwood- our future without a doubt. still young though. [IN]
James- wonderful boy who works his socks off every game but better on the left. [IN]

From all this, I gather that we do have options but they're either too young or too old. This worries me and probably does Ole too. With all the players that have gone and the injury list being so huge. I will never blame this on Ole. I wouldn't have blamed any manager with this squad. Ole gets his tactics wrong sometimes but I think he encourages youngsters and preaches positive football. He must definitely be given time and money. We will play much better when we get our players back and buy a few in the market.

Foxbatt

You are talking assumption here. There is no evidence that he wanted to bring only certain world class players. At the end of the day we know feck all behind the scene. However we can take it from Ole’s interview or press conference that he said he wants a midfielder. So he really did want to sign midfield but may be the board fail to deliver.
He did say that in one his interviews. I will try to find it. You all who support Ole says our midfield is the worst in the PL. I have no problems with that. But are you seriously saying that the Board rejected any midfield player from the PL? Surely if Tielemans went for 40 million then if Ole had wanted they would have bought him. He could have got anyone to improve the midfield. No he did not want just anyone. He could have sold Mata, Jones, Bailly too but he did not. This whole mess is his fault. He was the one who depleted the squad without getting new players to replace them. He lost Lukaku, Fellaini, Sanchez, Hererra, and Smalling. He never replaced them. Missing two midfield players and relying on Pogba and McTominay and Fred who has not played much is asking for big trouble. Now it has come to bite him in the arse and some of you are blaming the players instead of the cause which is an incompetent manager.

Fosu-Mens

OGS stated that he was happy with the squad, we all know that this is PR bullsh*t. If he really is happy with the squad then this is even worse than him being a gullible yesman. The question is how long can he continue with this naive positive approach in the media before the fans get tired of him...
But with his interviews and simplistic summations of the games (compared to how other managers are analyzing their games in the post-match interviews you can really see how shallow his understanding of football is) , I'm beginning to wonder if he really is a naive, positive and incompetent person that thinks that everything will turn out great as long as he stays positive... And that there is no real difference between him in public and behind closed doors.

mu4c_20le

Tielemans was never an option; it would have pissed off Leicester and scuppered the Maguire deal, or they add another 20m on top of the price.

mu4c_20le

This whole mess is his fault. He was the one who depleted the squad without getting new players to replace them. He lost Lukaku, Fellaini, Sanchez, Hererra, and Smalling. He never replaced them. Missing two midfield players and relying on Pogba and McTominay and Fred who has not played much is asking for big trouble. Now it has come to bite him in the arse and some of you are blaming the players instead of the cause which is an incompetent manager.
You are so gullible it's almost cute if you weren't a grown man. People like you are the reason why managers like Jose thrive by blaming everything under the sun when things go wrong.

Tel074

I am of the view that Ole doesn't deserve better players. Sure you can't turn bad players into good ones, but after almost a year, if Ole was any good he'd have us play something that resembles good football only being held back by not having adequate quality.

As it stands, we look like a team that receives little coaching, so if he gets to spend on new players, how soon do those players turn to waste because they don't have proper guidance?

Unless a team is made of Messi and his clones, almost all footballers need to be given a helping hand. Thats why its a team sport, the sum of the team has to be better than the individuals and that only comes from the training ground.
People like you make me embarrassed to be a United fan . He doesn't deserve better players ? So you want him to totally fail or you want United as a whole to totally fail ? I've seen us play the best football since Ferguson left under Ole but I suppose you forgot that . We are shite that's the bottom line but for the 1st time since Ferguson left there is a glimmer of something better . Thank god the people who actually attend matches can see what is actually happening because views like yours make me want to poke my eyes out

You can label Ole with whatever tags you want but he certainly isn't a defensive manager . Most criers on here seem to forget the football we played when Jose left and some of the football we play at times since .. Our midfield is shocking and if and when Ole gets a chance to replace and improve that area is when I will start to judge his skills as a manager