The “Ole In” Brigade

The Bloody-Nine

Calm down Rafa, What position was this great squad in when Ole took over?
You know, if you'd just concede that you made a huge exaggeration you wouldn't have to keep making these feeble attempts at moving the goal posts. It's embarrassing.

He inherited a squad that finished second. A squad that then went on a run of 14 wins. Not bad for a 'horror squad', I'd say.

el3mel

err I am. Otherwise the squad needs serious work but yes you're right, I am making points up, after all they are mine. Most of blood vessel bursters seem to think giving Ole the same chance our last 3 managers have to actually finish a season is some kind of loyalty bound delusion, its not, it's the least a manager should be judged on.
Yes you are making points up. No one asked for a title challenge. We were just asking for top 4 ahead of Leicester whom we bought their best defender and Chelsea who spent feck all last 2 windows and lost their best player, beside just playing good football regularly. Both targets are totally achievable.

The last 3 managers didn't get the job midseason. Ole did. He got the job for half of the previous and had far more time to analyze the team and that's what we got, changing the squad who finished second the previous season and gave Ole himself his job via the honeymoon and that's what we got, 13 matches before the end of the league we're 7th, with a worse squad and far worse football than his initial months. He has already got more than an entire year and 2 transfer windows, far more than enough time to start judging him.

DFreshKing

Yes you are making points up. No one asked for a title challenge. We were just asking for top 4 ahead of Leicester whom we bought their best defender and Chelsea who spent feck all last 2 windows and lost their best player, beside just playing good football regularly. Both targets are totally achievable.

The last 3 managers didn't get the job midseason. Ole did. He got the job for half of the previous and had far more time to analyze the team and that's what we got, changing the squad who finished second the previous season and gave Ole himself his job via the honeymoon and that's what we got, 13 matches before the end of the league we're 7th, with a worse squad and far worse football than his initial months. He has already got more than an entire year and 2 transfer windows, far more than enough time to start judging him.
I think it is too early. He should get a full season and then judge against his targets. We have had a horror month (not alone) the amount of fixtures given our lack of squad depth and quality (Can I say that or is it really awesome?) means we are playing catch up but we are not too badly positioned considering the shocking injuries, if we get top four or win Europa like Jose did it should grant Ole more time.

el3mel

I think it is too early. He should get a full season and then judge against his targets. We have had a horror month (not alone) the amount of fixtures given our lack of squad depth and quality (Can I say that or is it really awesome?) means we are playing catch up but we are not too badly positioned considering the shocking injuries, if we get top four or win Europa like Jose did it should grant Ole more time.
You're talking about "full season" as if it's a long time. There're only 3 months remaining in his first full season, 13 league matches only. We won 9 out of our first 25 games, how many are you expecting us to win out of the remaining 13 ?

DFreshKing

You're talking about "full season" as if it's a long time. There're only 3 months remaining in his first full season, 13 league matches only. We won 9 out of our first 25 games, how many are you expecting us to win out of the remaining 13 ?
Because Ole is at the Wheel!

No seriously, because we might have a decent midfielder for the rest of the season to help an improved Fred and Pogba shop windowing might turn up for 2 of those 3 months. Also the league is very congested with a lot of poor squads (relatively to title challengers) vying for CL spots. If we do not improve I have no issue with replacing Ole, he has to attain targets but while he is still close to those spots he should have our support. Do you think JM should get sacked, or Lampard? What about Arsenal, they don't seem to be doing to well.

el3mel

Because Ole is at the Wheel!

No seriously, because we might have a decent midfielder for the rest of the season to help an improved Fred and Pogba shop windowing might turn up for 2 of those 3 months. Also the league is very congested with a lot of poor squads (relatively to title challengers) vying for CL spots. If we do not improve I have no issue with replacing Ole, he has to attain targets but while he is still close to those spots he should have our support. Do you think JM should get sacked, or Lampard? What about Arsenal, they don't seem to be doing to well.
Not sure about the Arteta and Mourinho example. They got the job midseason. Remember we didn't sack Ole when we finished 6th last season because he got it midseason too. The problem is after a full summer and more months in and there's zero improvement in our play, results or quality of the squad. As for Lampard he's currently 4th. As I said, all we wanted was a solid top 4 finish and good football regularly, hardly non achievable with the current squad, considering the state of our opponents. Most were thinking Chelsea are totally fecked up this season after the transfer ban and losing Hazard plus getting a rookie manager, and we're still behind them by 6 points gab.

SAFMUTD

I have not said they have a better squad, I quite think we have a decent squad.

How is that excuses? surely you have watched football long enough to know consistency is key.

If you are playing a regular first 11 week in week out you are likely to be alot more consistent than when you are chopping and changing.

You must be very naive to think that it's an excuse. How many times this season has DDG, AWB, Maguire, Shaw, McT, Pogba, Rash, Martial played together and that will tell you why we are so bad.
Anybody with a pair of eyes can see that this is not about team chemistry, its about a lack of system.

When a team has a system they show it on regular basis no matter what players, of course the players influence heavily on the performance but the playing style is seen.
A clear example is City or Liverpool, even when they play with their second team the system is clear to see.

We on the other hand dont show any patterns at all, no matter what players. If you think that we’ll massively improve when players come back from injury you’re going to be disappointed, of course they can produce individual moments of brillance but there’s no way we are going to magically develop a style just because Rashford, Pogba and McTominnay are playing together.

Not available? Managers switch clubs all the time. Was Rodgers unavailable when Leicester got him?
Available also means wanting to manage us.

Also, any United fan that wants Brenton at Old Trafford needs to get a grip.

Ole is doing a decent job with a shit squad, have a bit of patience. A good 2nd half of the league season - potential for success in Europa and FA cup. Just chill out and lets see how things unfold

The Bloody-Nine

Ole is doing a decent job with a shit squad, have a bit of patience. A good 2nd half of the league season - potential for success in Europa and FA cup. Just chill out and lets see how things unfold
Hang on, you're arguing that managers don't want to manage Manchester United?

Ole is doing a shit job with a decent squad, so, no, I won't have patience. I've seen more than enough from a guy that no team in the PL would have even considered appointing, before the genius Ed Woodward decided to pluck him from obscurity. Because he smiles a lot, and he used to play for us.

Wilt

Other than Liverpool and City I’m curious to know who you think have a better squad than Utd?

Hang on, you're arguing that managers don't want to manage Manchester United?

Ole is doing a shit job with a decent squad, so, no, I won't have patience. I've seen more than enough from a guy that no team in the PL would have even considered appointing, before the genius Ed Woodward decided to pluck him from obscurity. Because he smiles a lot, and he used to play for us.
Well going through this thread people are saying we need a 'top' manager of the standard of pep, klopp, allegri, tuchel etc - top tier managers are taking other jobs, highlighted 3 years ago when pep and klopp declined United. And we're less likely to bag top calibre now than then.

Take off the rose coloured glasses. Plenty of decent manager would jump at the chance to make a name for themselves at United. ButManagers with no record of winning anything though. And no certainty they'll improve United or stick around more than two years.

Decent squad? Ffs. It's threadbare and mediocre. The best players this season are Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, Wiiliams - that tells you all you need to know. If he gets 5th and a cup with this squad then Ole's done well and deserves time to build something.

Never hear anyone in Manchester wanting Ole gone. Just the online lot...

el3mel

Well going through this thread people are saying we need a 'top' manager of the standard of pep, klopp, allegri, tuchel etc - top tier managers are taking other jobs, highlighted 3 years ago when pep and klopp declined United. And we're less likely to bag top calibre now than then.

Take off the rose coloured glasses. Plenty of decent manager would jump at the chance to make a name for themselves at United. ButManagers with no record of winning anything though. And no certainty they'll improve United or stick around more than two years.

Decent squad? Ffs. It's threadbare and mediocre. The best players this season are Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, Wiiliams - that tells you all you need to know. If he gets 5th and a cup with this squad then Ole's done well and deserves time to build something.

That will be a step up from Ole anyway. A decent manager is better than a terrible one.

dave1956

Anybody with a pair of eyes can see that this is not about team chemistry, its about a lack of system.

When a team has a system they show it on regular basis no matter what players, of course the players influence heavily on the performance but the playing style is seen.
A clear example is City or Liverpool, even when they play with their second team the system is clear to see.

We on the other hand dont show any patterns at all, no matter what players. If you think that we’ll massively improve when players come back from injury you’re going to be disappointed, of course they can produce individual moments of brillance but there’s no way we are going to magically develop a style just because Rashford, Pogba and McTominnay are playing together.
This is correct, look at Busby and Fergie, they built a system starting from the schoolboys through the senior youth side, the reserves and first team. They had the all these players playing the same way so they developed, and when they stepped up a grade it was the same way of playing and if they made the first team they knew how it functioned. All they had to do was perfect their individual skills and develop physically.
The coaches at all levels were on the same page, but there is no evidence that this is happening under the present management and coaching staff, we seem to lack direction and a common footballing policy, our coaches and manager seem to be making it up on the hoof.
In support of this theory just visit Old Trafford Museum and look at the videos of the various teams playing from school boys to the first time, they all play the same way. Can we see this now I think not.

This is correct, look at Busby and Fergie, they built a system starting from the schoolboys through the senior youth side, the reserves and first team. They had the all these players playing the same way so they developed, and when they stepped up a grade it was the same way of playing and if they made the first team they knew how it functioned. All they had to do was perfect their individual skills and develop physically.
The coaches at all levels were on the same page, but there is no evidence that this is happening under the present management and coaching staff, we seem to lack direction and a common footballing policy, our coaches and manager seem to be making it up on the hoof.
In support of this theory just visit Old Trafford Museum and look at the videos of the various teams playing from school boys to the first time, they all play the same way. Can we see this now I think not.
Busby and Fergie didn't achieve that in 12-18 months.

Dr. StrangeHate

Thankfully all the 'fans' can do is vent on the internet with zero impact at the football club. They have even begun scraping the barrel and accusing match going fans of some kind of treason because they are supporting Ole. :lol:
You will be surprised how much the club spends on understanding people's views on social media, forums, chat rooms, etc. They won't fire Ole based on those views but it definitely goes as a negative against him. If too many negatives pile up the decision becomes easier.

dave1956

Busby and Fergie didn't achieve that in 12-18 months.
[/Q
No I have not suggested that they did but the signs were there that they were changing the policy, coaching and playing structure of the club. This I fail to see with this present coaching and management structure. What is this view based on 64 years of supporting this club, going to youth, reserve and full team games.
I may be totally wrong on my appreciation on the present direction of the club, but I really hope not because going on historic events as fans we are in for a period of very lean success

Lentwood

And how many managers we sacked as soon as they couldn't finish top 4 or get to CL?

Why should Ole be privileged, despite having worse CV or track record compared to any of Moyes, LvG and Jose?
Maybe there’s been a realisation at Board level that every time we sack a manager we slip even further away from where we want to be?

Look, whatever you think of Ole, whoever takes over next, whether it’s this summer or next, will inherit a much better squad of footballers in terms of quality, attitude, togetherness and age profile than the previous three managers have left.

This is why in my head I can separate results from the rebuilding job that’s going on. The most important thing for me this season and next is that players who don’t want to be here followed by players who aren’t good enough to be here (in that order) are moved on and young, hungry, talented players are bought in.

Under Ole we’ve signed Fernandes, AWB, Maguire and James whilst Williams and Greenwood have both been a given significant amount of games. That in my book is far more important for the long term future of the club than whether we get Champions League this season

jamesjimmybyrondean

Maybe there’s been a realisation at Board level that every time we sack a manager we slip even further away from where we want to be?

Look, whatever you think of Ole, whoever takes over next, whether it’s this summer or next, will inherit a much better squad of footballers in terms of quality, attitude, togetherness and age profile than the previous three managers have left.

This is why in my head I can separate results from the rebuilding job that’s going on. The most important thing for me this season and next is that players who don’t want to be here followed by players who aren’t good enough to be here (in that order) are moved on and young, hungry, talented players are bought in.

Under Ole we’ve signed Fernandes, AWB, Maguire and James whilst Williams and Greenwood have both been a given significant amount of games. That in my book is far more important for the long term future of the club than whether we get Champions League this season
To me it's very simple. The rebuild Ole is praised for will still carry on if we get Pochettino who is our most likely candidate and is a better coach than Ole(I'm sure you agree with this) . Or do you think we will stop promoting youth under Pochettino who is known for doing just that? Or clearing deadwood under Pochettino who is doesn't waste time to sell bad players? Or stop recruiting young, hungry, talented players when Pochettino actually wanted Bruno, AWB and Grealish (summer target) at Tottenham?

Let's say we recruit well again this summer and we now have DDG AWB Maguire Tuanzebe Williams Zakaria Fred Bruno Sancho Rashford Werner. Basically players we've targeted so far. Based on what you've seen from these two coaches over the years. Based on what Pochettino has done with Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham and based on what Ole has done with Cardiff, Molde and us. Who do you think will coach that side better?

Is that even true @Lentwood?

Moyes took us to 7th.
LVG took us to 4th, then 5th = so his final standing was better than his predecessor
Mourinho took us to a EL title and 2nd = so once again better than his predecessor

If we'd signed the right manager after Mourinho I'd say we'd likely be closer to where we want to be, signing the unproven at top level ones like Moyes or Ole definitely makes us slip further away though, well, at least so far.

I'm willing to bet the Ole-in brigade who reckoned our squad was worth a 5th place finish, and now going to slowly morph into the "6th place finish" brigade now that 5th will likely seal a CL-spot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Chelsea and Spurs. For a start.
That wasn't the case at the start of summer or the end of the transfer window. And Spurs form in 2019 should see everyone question the claim that they unequivocally have/had a better team. Personally I believed and still believe that the teams from 3rd to 6th are very close in terms of squad strength and that the main differentiators are the manager and health.

Enigma_87

You know who

So far the club can realise that as soon we appoint the least capable manager we fall back even further - Moyes, Ole.

under better managers - LvG and Jose we achieved the best results.

the rebuild Ole is supposedly praised for doing is no different to what the previous managers were doing and promoting youth - as a matter of fact Jose, LvG, Moyes - all promotes youth players and signed promising players in the right age.

That wasn't the case at the start of summer or the end of the transfer window. And Spurs form in 2019 should see everyone question the claim that they unequivocally have/had a better team. Personally I believed and still believe that the teams from 3rd to 6th are very close in terms of squad strength and that the main differentiators are the manager and health.
Chelsea have a strong core of experienced talent such as Pedro, Willian, Kante, Jorginho, Giroud, Azpilicuetta, Alonso, Barkley - this strong core allows their talented young players not to have to carry the team (unlike United).

Spurs have a great squad; Son, Kane, Moura, Ali, Sissoko, Dier, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Winks, Lamela, Wanyama. They all walk into United's team.

It's amazing how some people can't see United are threadbare and lacking quality.

JPRouve

Scout
Chelsea have a strong core of experienced talent such as Pedro, Willian, Kante, Jorginho, Giroud, Azpilicuetta, Alonso, Barkley - this strong core allows their talented young players not to have to carry the team (unlike United).

Spurs have a great squad; Son, Kane, Moura, Ali, Sissoko, Dier, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Winks, Lamela, Wanyama. They all walk into United's team.

It's amazing how some people can't see United are threadbare and lacking quality.
What is amazing is that you name numerous bang average players, guys that don't play and a couple of very good players to make your point. I may as well name Martial, Rashford, Pogba, Matic, Fred, De Gea, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, McTominay, Mata, they are the same caliber of players than the one you just mentioned for Spurs and Chelsea.

Enigma_87

You know who
err I am. Otherwise the squad needs serious work but yes you're right, I am making points up, after all they are mine. Most of blood vessel bursters seem to think giving Ole the same chance our last 3 managers have to actually finish a season is some kind of loyalty bound delusion, its not, it's the least a manager should be judged on.
Did Moyes finish his season? That’s news for me?

What is amazing is that you name numerous bang average players, guys that don't play and a couple of very good players to make your point. I may as well name Martial, Rashford, Pogba, Matic, Fred, De Gea, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, McTominay, Mata, they are the same caliber of players than the one you just mentioned for Spurs and Chelsea.
Kante, Son, Pedro, Willian, Moura, Kane, Vertonghen, Jorginho, alderweireld, Alonso, Barkley

They are miles better than Matic, Pereira, Shaw, James, Lingard, Jones, Lindeloff, Dalot, Ighalo etc.

If you can't see the difference in talent and experience between those two lists.....

JPRouve

Scout
Kante, Son, Pedro, Willian, Moura, Kane, Vertonghen, Jorginho, alderweireld, Alonso, Barkley

They are miles better than Matic, Pereira, Shaw, James, Lingard, Jones, Lindeloff, Dalot, Ighalo etc.

If you can't see the difference in talent and experience between those two lists.....
You are still mentioning players that barely play or that are bang average and you still selectively ignore our best players. Have a look at how many minutes Barkley and Pedro played, also have a look at how dodgy thoses defenders that you mentioned have been in the last 18 months.

Enigma_87

You know who

So you decided to remove our best players but include the opposition best players to make some kind of a point :lol:
Have you actually seen Pedro this year for example?

The Bloody-Nine

You know Allegri is available, right?

And the cheek of you talking about ME wearing rose coloured glasses. Blind faith is all you have.

The rest of your top red nonsense and the later invoking of Busby and Fergie means you go on ignore.

And the cheek of you talking about ME wearing rose coloured glasses. Blind faith is all you have.

The rest of your top red nonsense and the later invoking of Busby and Fergie means you go on ignore.
If you read my post properly I talk about managers either being unavailable and managers offering no certainty that those available would actually improve United.

Anyone with a vague interest of football knows Allegri is not currently managing anyone. But why do you think he'd achieve anything with United's current team and way the club is run?

Allegrihad great success at a well run club that has been in the position to dominate Serie A for a long time now. No guarantee he would be a fit at United. He might, but it's another gamble like LVG and Mou.

Football is easy on paper. But the reality is that United need stability and a long term plan. Ole is resolving the squad issues, he's removed the internal toxic atmosphere at the club and gradually restoring some identity back to the team and it's connection with the people of Manchester.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

You know carlo fecking ancelotti is managing everton fc right?

hubbuh

He made his point perfectly respectfully and reasonably. If it was said in the pub you wouldn’t bat an eyelid, and yet you deem the conversation bad enough that you make the point of ‘putting him on ignore’? It’s become an increasingly shit feature of the ‘caf that posters feel the need to announce when they’re putting someone on ignore. Why? We’re all United fans supporting the same cause (unless you’re an oppo, obviously). I can sort of see it in extreme instances but this was a normal interaction.

The Bloody-Nine

He made his point perfectly respectfully and reasonably. If it was said in the pub you wouldn’t bat an eyelid, and yet you deem the conversation bad enough that you make the point of ‘putting him on ignore’? It’s become an increasingly shit feature of the ‘caf that posters feel the need to announce when they’re putting someone on ignore. Why? We’re all United fans supporting the same cause (unless you’re an oppo, obviously). I can sort of see it in extreme instances but this was a normal interaction.
If you're Ole in and you can't argue in support of him without bringing up Busby, Fergie or Klopp, I've no interest in what you have to say. That nonsense has been torpedoed a million times in a million threads already. It's completely asinine.

The 'well, no fans from Manchester want him gone' bullshit was the icing on the cake. I appreciate your concern, though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This squad doesn't lack talent, but it does/did lack balance.

No effective right wingers, too many CAM's that lack an individual threat and play safe.

No strikers that want to run in behind and get on the end of balls, they all want to feet.

Fullbacks that don't want to overlap and attack, rather sit deep and cross from safe positions.

Centre backs are inconsistent and poor in the air.

We have so many holes but we're getting through them - so far Ole has done a good job at that but we need 3/4 in the summer to catch us up.

It's clear as day without Rashford/Pogba we have zero individual ability to win matches. Martial has his moments but doesn't turn up enough, and as a striker he can't effect the game like that without service anyway.

Fernandes could be a big help in this regard, but we need to replace the likes of Mata/Pereira and add some genuine quality.

Enigma_87

You know who
Just like some supporters who put the players before the club I see a lot of Ole supporters that put him before the club. I’m not so sure they are united supporters rather than ole supporters who are ok with the club plummeting even more but keeping Ole in charge.

Last edited:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

You have got to be kidding, right?

hubbuh

If you're Ole in and you can't argue in support of him without bringing up Busby, Fergie or Klopp, I've no interest in what you have to say. That nonsense has been torpedoed a million times in a million threads already. It's completely asinine.

The 'well, no fans from Manchester want him gone' bullshit was the icing on the cake. I appreciate your concern, though.
You must have some United friends/family/coworkers etc. that put more stock into the romantic and sentimental line of argument than most, though. My dad is a bit like that, though I wouldn’t want to put him on ignore (maybe occasionally, but not because of his footballing opinions).

I’m extremely concerned. I can tell you’re not. For that reason, ignored.
Just like some supporters who put the players before the club I see a lot of Oke supporters that put him before the club. I’m not so sure they are united supporters rather than ole supporters who are ok with the club plummeting even more but keeping Ole in charge.
Rubbish. I have a friend that’s only now starting to accept that Ole might have to go. He’s as passionate as anyone about seeing United do well. He just happens to have a different opinion and a belief about what we should do to make things right.

The Bloody-Nine

You must have some United friends/family/coworkers etc. that put more stock into the romantic and sentimental line of argument than most, though. My dad is a bit like that, though I wouldn’t want to put him on ignore (maybe occasionally, but not because of his footballing opinions).

I’m extremely concerned. I can tell you’re not. For that reason, ignored.
That's the spirit!