The “Ole In” Brigade

Lentwood

As a proud member of the “Ole in” brigade, I’m getting tired of seeing the same lazy criticisms of us/the manager gathering likes on the Caf and Twitter.

I wanted to address them all in one place, hopefully some fellow sensible supporters will be able to add their own arguments

1) “The love for Ole is all based on nostalgia and reverence for an ex-Red”

Not true. I’ve never seen a single argument from a pro-Ole supporter saying that he should remain in the job because he is an ex-player/club legend. This argument has been made up by the anti-Ole brigade, who have then proceeded to get angry at their own argument.

2) “Utd have made their worst start/worst away record/worst this/worse that”

Could. Not. Give. A. Monkeys. Anybody who expected any more from this season, with this squad and these players was always setting themselves up for a fall. Re-adjust your expectations based on reality.

3) “Ole is a failed Cardiff manager”

So what? People need to get over this idea that the success or failure of a club begins and ends with the manager.

4) “Jose Mourinho blah blah blah”

I liked Jose but with the benefit of hindsight, he had completely lost the plot in that 3rd season. Also, the man left over a year ago...let’s stop going on about it.

5) “We’re Man Utd, we should be doing X,Y....”

Means nothing. We’re currently an irrelevant club with mediocre players run by a clown and owned by shareholders looking to make a quick dollar. We’ve no divine right to win anything or sign any player because “we’re Man Utd”

6) “Ole is a poor Coach”

No evidence for this. People are obsessed with the idea of coaching but (most) of these players are 20+....you can’t make them play slicker, faster football just by “coaching”. Same way Pep can’t coach his philosophy to certain players, difference is City have been well-run for ten years so their squad needs minor tweaks every year not major surgery.

DoomSlayer

I get your sentiment, mate, but this just puts more wood in the fire. I know it's a cliche, but it's Christmas, as a fanbase we should try to be more united (ha) and try to support the team despite the awful situation we are in and all the setbacks we have seen this season.

dove

No evidence of Ole being a poor coach? I would say there is absolutely no evidence Ole is even a League 1 level coach.

IrishRedDevil

Point number 5. You do realise it was Ole that come in with all the sound bites such as ‘‘we are Man United’’, ‘’we will play the United way’’ etc and said we have good players.

Reality has caught up with him and he is now writing off the season before Christmas.

Runaway Sue

As a proud member of the “Ole in” brigade, I’m getting tired of seeing the same lazy criticisms of us/the manager gathering likes on the Caf and Twitter.

I wanted to address them all in one place, hopefully some fellow sensible supporters will be able to add their own arguments

Not true. I’ve never seen a single argument from a pro-Ole supporter saying that he should remain in the job because he is an ex-player/club legend. This argument has been made up by the anti-Ole brigade, who have then proceeded to get angry at their own argument.

Could. Not. Give. A. Monkeys. Anybody who expected any more from this season, with this squad and these players was always setting themselves up for a fall. Re-adjust your expectations based on reality.

So what? People need to get over this idea that the success or failure of a club begins and ends with the manager.

I liked Jose but with the benefit of hindsight, he had completely lost the plot in that 3rd season. Also, the man left over a year ago...let’s stop going on about it.

Means nothing. We’re currently an irrelevant club with mediocre players run by a clown and owned by shareholders looking to make a quick dollar. We’ve no divine right to win anything or sign any player because “we’re Man Utd”

6) “Ole is a poor Coach”

No evidence for this. People are obsessed with the idea of coaching but (most) of these players are 20+....you can’t make them play slicker, faster football just by “coaching”. Same way Pep can’t coach his philosophy to certain players, difference is City have been well-run for ten years so their squad needs minor tweaks every year not major surgery.
If thats not the case, why would you want him then? Because of his impressive cv?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

6) “Ole is a poor Coach”

Very well put, but I expect you will get a lot of replies in the negative from posters who think that changing the manager/coaches will suddenly bring us riches beyond our wildest dreams. It's nice to know that there are some people, like ourselves, who live in the real world.
Merry Christmas Lentwood.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I honestly don't think any of the points you made is arguments. It's just reflective of how far our expectations of our manager and squad have fallen. Moyes was hounded out for turning us into Everton and Ole is turning us into Cardiff. We shouldn't be surprised to lose against Watford. That's how shit our manager and squad is. We get beaten by the worst teams in the league.

Succes doesnt' necessarily begin and end with the manager, but I can't see what in Ole's CV or his tenure merits that he isn't replaced by someone with a better CV.

I remember the United culture being a winning culture. OGS has already given himself the right to write off the rest of the season in December. Nobody expected him to win us the league. The bare minimum for all managers since Fergie is top 4. He's not instilling a winning mentality at all. He's a nice guy, but literally imagine Moyes saying all this instead of Ole and everyone would want him out.

He's a nice guy and a player legend, but if there better people suited to the job, we should go for them.

Enigma_87

You know who

Means nothing. We’re currently an irrelevant club with mediocre players run by a clown
Well you got that right. If Ole wasn't a former player he wouldn't have a job at a top tier club at any of the big leagues.

And no evidence that he's a poor coach? Really?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Yep, accept getting beat by Newcastle, Bournemouth, West Ham, Palace, Watford. Accept mediocrity or you're negative, fairweather fan. Bull. fecking. Shit.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Ultimately i don't think it makes any difference. He'll get until the end of the season no matter what we say/do here. The match day fans won't turn on him.

You can either support him and the team until then, or spend the next 6 months moaning on the internet about it instead.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ultimately i don't think it makes any difference. He'll get until the end of the season no matter what we say/do here. The match day fans won't turn on him.

You can either support him and the team until then, or spend the next 6 months moaning on the internet about it instead.
Some have already did. The discontent will grow bigger and bigger. As soon as the matchgoers are divided he's gone.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The OP only brings up criticism that he has an alternative answer for. Even then, some of this counter-arguments to the critical points are stretching at best.

Take the first one re. him giving bias for being an ex-red. Just because Neville or whatever hasn’t said “he needs to be the manager/given more time because he’s a United legend” doesn’t mean that people’s views aren’t swayed by the fact he is. It’s called bias for a reason. Everyone knows that giving him extra time just because he was a famous player for us is irrational so using it as an argument won’t work.

I like the guy, and loved the Ole as a player. But he has irked me a lot recently. His reaction to the Watford goals highlighted it enough for me that he’s a great manager for a team who are performing well as he can keep spirits high and give the players a good “Keep it up!” attitude. But when it’s down, he’s not the guy to motivate players to wake the feck up.

Paxi

We could be in the relegation scrap and Ole acolytes would still make excuses. We've just heard it from the horse's mouth -- results don't matter. We deserve everything we get, Glazers, Woodward, Ole for being so fecking pathetic and passive. Small club mentality.

Enigma_87

You know who
We could be in the relegation scrap and Ole acolytes would still make excuses. We've just heard it from the horse's mouth -- results don't matter. We deserve everything we get, Glazers, Woodward, Ole for being so fecking pathetic and passive. Small club mentality.
We better brace ourselves for mediocrity then. Ole has many blind apologetic followers. It's like a cult and generally every cult knows they are right for themselves.

Paxi

We better brace ourselves for mediocrity then. Ole has many blind apologetic followers. It's like a cult and generally every cult knows they are right for themselves.
Well we've arrived with a bang already imo.

Mike Smalling

I must have been setting myself up for a fall to expect more than 8th halfway through the season. Obviously we could never expect to outperform the mighty Sheffield United or Wolves :houllier:

Irrational.

It was Ole's decision not to replace Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini and Herrera.
It was Ole's decision to go into the season relying on 18 year old Mason Greenwood.
It was Ole's decision to blow £85 million on Maguire when there were cheaper alternatives available.
It was Ole's decision to keep shoehorning underperforming players like Lingard and Pereira into the side.

Ole has no experience of managing a world class side.
Ole has no tactical nous of breaking down teams that sit deep.
Ole does not know how to coach an attacking mentality into the players.
Ole is responsible for us having the lowest points total at this stage in over 30 years. Worse than Moyes, LVG, Jose.
Ole has had ample time to assess the squad yet continues to make excuses for next season. Look at Brendan Rogers FFS.

In conclusion: Ole was brought in as a caretaker manager to bring back the feel-good factor until the end of last season. He did, to an extent, but he has no credentials to take the club anywhere beyond that. He is massively out of his depth and needs to go. His presence is causing more harm than good. Just look at the sides we've dropped points against this season: Wolves (D), Palace (L), Southampton (D), West Ham (L), Newcastle (L), Bournemouth (L), Sheffield (D), Villa (D), Everton (D), Watford (L). Is this acceptable for a club like Manchester United?

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself yourself become the villain. He should've quit whilst he was ahead after guiding us to a defeat against Cardiff in the last game of last season.

So yeah... Ole in. :rolleyes:

izec

Your answers to your points are laughable. You dont go really any deeper, just a casual response and leave it at that. Just like our deluded manager.

You can write and defend our manager as much as you want, but he will get sacked at the end of this season or midway next season at the latest if he keeps on doing what he does. then you can come up with a nice essay.

Gehrman

Your answers to your points are laughable. You dont go really any deeper, just a casual response and leave it at that. Just like our deluded manager.

You can write and defend our manager as much as you want, but he will get sacked at the end of this season or midway next season at the latest if he keeps on doing what he does. then you can come up with a nice essay.
I was expecting more. It's just, we're shit, get used to it, we got Ole at the wheel.

Jericholyte2

I would are that it’s not necessarily accepting mediocrity, it’s accepting the inconsistency of ‘youth’ over the mediocrity of the experienced players.

We had the options of Young, Matic etc but Ole is phasing these players out with the likes of Williams, McT along with Rashford, Martial, AWB, Lindelof who all, whilst have played a decent number of games, don’t have that experience of winning tough games, coming back from behind, winning trophies etc.

At this point they will be found out quite often but will hopefully learn from it. This, combined with good signings should help us to progress.

Paxi

I must have been setting myself up for a fall to expect more than 8th halfway through the season. Obviously we could never expect to outperform the mighty Sheffield United or Wolves :houllier:
Results don't matter mate, so long as fecking Ole's in the job and is instilling a culture or something something.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Your point number 1. Of course its all about nostalgia with Ole. If it was any other manager that wasn't a United legend on the sacking thread it would be about 90% get rid.

Your point number 2. United have made their worst start in PL history and you couldn't give a monkies really does show how low your expectations have fallen. Of course no one expected us to win the PL but it is possible to be competitive while under transition. We are now hearing this season is being used to assess the squad for next. If Ole doesn't know who's good enough after already being a year in charge then I'm afraid he's a worse manager than I thought.

Your point number 3. Ole is a failed manager at Cardiff and so what?? Very few people get top jobs through failure which brings it back to your point number 1.

Your point number 4. Jose had to go but him having more points than Ole after losing the squad and sabotaging the season speaks volumes of exactly were we are and that's after Ole spent £130m on 2 defenders.

Your point number 5. Calling us an irrelevant club shows how far you go to justify Ole as our manager. We are still in the top 5 of the worlds richest clubs. Yes the core is rotten but that doesn't mean we have to accept mediocrity to get us back on track which we seem to be doing at all levels.

Your point number 6. There's no evidence Ole has been a poor coach? Really? Have you been watching us at all the better part of the last year? I wouldn't mind being in the position we are now if I could see some sort of idea of how Ole wants to play but after a year I see zilch or even if Ole was some sort of young, upcoming coach that could make me think he deserves time. He's been in the game for over a decade and has done nothing before or since for him to be even considered to be manager at one of the worlds top clubs.

fallengt

Sure mate. Nobody told me that when Ole was on record run as United manager in his first 10 games. Everybody hailed him as second Moses. A year later same group of people telling me United has no rights to beat Sheffield or even Watfford.

So what is it? Fecking make up your mind for once

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

6) “Ole is a poor Coach”

Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. Your post is fecking garbage. It's actually frustrating to see such fecking nonsense posted on this board.

We're behind Sheffield United - is this some sort of fecking joke? A newly promoted side is performing better than us and we've fans seemingly OK with this. We're on par with Newcastle United - a team that has an owner that makes ours look like angels.

The problem is that you and your fellow "Ole in" members have dropped every last standard that made this club great. Ole is stealing a living whilst simultaneously taking the joy away from supporting United. Guys earning million upon millions whilst doing the worst job possible. I'm sick and tired of him - he needs to feck off asap. I'm actually fairly confident that Ole will have us in a relegation scrap soon. He's one of the worst managers in the league, maybe the worst considering the resources he has at his disposal and the absolute shite job he's been doing since February. Yes, I said it. I said it then. We've been farcical since his 3rd game in charge. The same anti-football we played under Mourinho for the last 10 months.

Lentwood

Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. Your post is fecking garbage. It's actually frustrating to see such fecking nonsense posted on this board.

We're behind Sheffield United - is this some sort of fecking joke? A newly promoted side is performing better than us and we've fans seemingly OK with this. We're on par with Newcastle United - a team that has an owner that makes ours look like angels.

The problem is that you and your fellow "Ole in" members have dropped every last standard that made this club great. Ole is stealing a living whilst simultaneously taking the joy away from supporting United. Guys earning million upon millions whilst doing the worst job possible. I'm sick and tired of him - he needs to feck off asap. I'm actually fairly confident that Ole will have us in a relegation scrap soon. He's one of the worst managers in the league, maybe the worst considering the resources he has at his disposal and the absolute shite job he's been doing since February. Yes, I said it. I said it then. We've been farcical since his 3rd game in charge. The same anti-football we played under Mourinho for the last 10 months.
It’s got nothing to do with dropping standards at all.

The “Ole out” lot seem to believe that just saying “we’re Man Utd” and wishing that we are a good side will somehow turn our fortunes around.

You can all come on hear and rant all you like, I was right about LvG, I was right about Jose and if the club do sack and replace Ole (which they won’t this season) then I’ll also be right when we’re sat in 6th next season while you lot still scream and wail and gnash your teeth on the Internet

Lentwood

I would are that it’s not necessarily accepting mediocrity, it’s accepting the inconsistency of ‘youth’ over the mediocrity of the experienced players.

We had the options of Young, Matic etc but Ole is phasing these players out with the likes of Williams, McT along with Rashford, Martial, AWB, Lindelof who all, whilst have played a decent number of games, don’t have that experience of winning tough games, coming back from behind, winning trophies etc.

At this point they will be found out quite often but will hopefully learn from it. This, combined with good signings should help us to progress.
Exactly. The “NuFootball Banter Brigade” have no patience at all though. It’s all a long term project, until we lose a game of football then it’s Moyes/LvG/Jose/Ole out

As long as the project includes us winning every game they’re happy

Paxi

Exactly. The “NuFootball Banter Brigade” have no patience at all though. It’s all a long term project, until we lose a game of football then it’s Moyes/LvG/Jose/Ole out

As long as the project includes us winning every game they’re happy
It's not about having no patience. It's about not being a blind, delusional Ole acolyte. Patience requires evidence of progress. We've seen feck all since that run. feck. All.

Have good Christmas. Bye bye!

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
I really wanted to Ole to succeed (and I doubt there is anyone on this forum who wanted otherwise save the oppos and @Amadaeus) but as much as I try to look at the positives, the great performance against the top 6 sides etc there’s always the feeling that against the supposed weaker sides in the division we will come up wanting. Yes the players need to take some responsibility but how can they go from running and fighting every ball against City one game then not bothering against Watford. When he was caretaker and we were on that run I was positive that maybe he was a manager who just needed the quality players (a bit like Pep I suppose) but with each passing game where we are expected to take control of a match it just isn’t happening. In short I would love to be “Ole in” but it’s not happening.

Ander herrera the warrior

It was Ole's decision not to replace Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini and Herrera.
It was Ole's decision to go into the season relying on 18 year old Mason Greenwood.
It was Ole's decision to blow £85 million on Maguire when there were cheaper alternatives available.
It was Ole's decision to keep shoehorning underperforming players like Lingard and Pereira into the side.

Ole has no experience of managing a world class side.
Ole has no tactical nous of breaking down teams that sit deep.
Ole does not know how to coach an attacking mentality into the players.
Ole is responsible for us having the lowest points total at this stage in over 30 years. Worse than Moyes, LVG, Jose.
Ole has had ample time to assess the squad yet continues to make excuses for next season. Look at Brendan Rogers FFS.

In conclusion: Ole was brought in as a caretaker manager to bring back the feel-good factor until the end of last season. He did, to an extent, but he has no credentials to take the club anywhere beyond that. He is massively out of his depth and needs to go. His presence is causing more harm than good. Just look at the sides we've dropped points against this season: Wolves (D), Palace (L), Southampton (D), West Ham (L), Newcastle (L), Bournemouth (L), Sheffield (D), Villa (D), Everton (D), Watford (L). Is this acceptable for a club like Manchester United?

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself yourself become the villain. He should've quit whilst he was ahead after guiding us to a defeat against Cardiff in the last game of last season.

So yeah... Ole in. :rolleyes:
As you said he was brought on as a caretaker manager till end of last season. Instead of sacking him now, why not just give him time till the end of the season? I'm sure Ed Woodward would be in talks with Poch right now about taking over for next season.

Another point you said is his decision not to replace Lukaku etc. Firstly how can he replace Lukaku when we sold him after our transfer window closed? Lukaku was a extremely tough decision to make because we got a ridiculously good offer from Inter Milan. Can't remember the last time we recovered our money back when selling a player. I thought Ole took a bold decision in that.

Regarding replacing Herrera or Fellaini, if you watched Ole's interview just few days before we signed Harry Maguire, Ole said we hope to announce one or 2 more players, so he definitely wanted one more player which is most likely a midfielder since at that point we haven't sold Lukaku. That's on Ed not Ole.

I believe if we are to sign a striker and a midfielder that Ole wanted, we would have much more depth in our squad right now. Just hope we get Haaland and a midfielder in January which I think can be a huge game changer.

Reactions: Carolina Red

Gehrman

It’s got nothing to do with dropping standards at all.

The “Ole out” lot seem to believe that just saying “we’re Man Utd” and wishing that we are a good side will somehow turn our fortunes around.

You can all come on hear and rant all you like, I was right about LvG, I was right about Jose and if the club do sack and replace Ole (which they won’t this season) then I’ll also be right when we’re sat in 6th next season while you lot still scream and wail and gnash your teeth on the Internet
It's not wrong to sack managers who's not performing when there are better managers available. Unless you have the best squad in the world, the manager is the most important employee at the club because he coaches and shapes the team. By this logic, we'd pass on Klopp if he became avaible, because what difference does the manager make anway.

Lentwood

I really wanted to Ole to succeed (and I doubt there is anyone on this forum who wanted otherwise save the oppos and @Amadaeus) but as much as I try to look at the positives, the great performance against the top 6 sides etc there’s always the feeling that against the supposed weaker sides in the division we will come up wanting. Yes the players need to take some responsibility but how can they go from running and fighting every ball against City one game then not bothering against Watford. When he was caretaker and we were on that run I was positive that maybe he was a manager who just needed the quality players (a bit like Pep I suppose) but with each passing game where we are expected to take control of a match it just isn’t happening. In short I would love to be “Ole in” but it’s not happening.
So what’s wrong with letting Ole have next season? See if he can sign the #9 and #10 we need to challenge for top 2/3?

He’s signed three players, we all acknowledged we probably needed 7/8 minimum

Lentwood

It's not wrong to sack managers who's not performing when there are better managers available. Unless you have the best squad in the world, the manager is the most important employee at the club because he coaches and shapes the team. By this logic, we'd pass on Klopp if he became avaible, because what difference does the manager make anway.
By this logic wouldn’t our fans have been calling for Klopp to be sacked after his first season/second season?

tenpoless

How many Ole threads do We need?

Also

Could. Not. Give. A. Monkeys. Anybody who expected any more from this season, with this squad and these players was always setting themselves up for a fall. Re-adjust your expectations based on reality
Mate, you only have to take a look at the teams that drew/won against us. Who play for them? who is their manager? and where are They now in the league? that's the reality. We lost so many points against sides that have worse players than us. Maybe you need to readjust your expectations based on those reality as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
By this logic wouldn’t our fans have been calling for Klopp to be sacked after his first season/second season?
No, because Liverpool improved month after month, it's at the start of his tenure that Liverpool struggled a bit but by the end of the 2015/2016, they were clearly an improved team.

Jericholyte2

As with the other post managers such as Klopp would have gone inside of 18 months.

They had all said this would not be a great season. Ole came into it saying we'll be inconsistent and that we’d have to accept this, knowing it’s the first step of the process. If January comes and nobody comes in then doubts can potentially be raised but you can’t end a multi-year project that involves such a massive surgery to the squad inside of 6 months.