The Academy restructuring thread

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So according to Mr.Mujac and jb, Butt is the new academy director and Joyce will be given charge of the u18.

Don't think it'll be permanent and I think we'll get a new u18 coach as Joyce has done a fantastic job at U21 but from all accounts Butt has impressed everyone at United with his abilities so far.

Classical Mechanic

So according to Mr.Mujac and jb, Butt is the new academy director and Joyce will be given charge of the u18.

Don't think it'll be permanent and I think we'll get a new u18 coach as Joyce has done a fantastic job at U21 but from all accounts Butt has impressed everyone at United with his abilities so far.
Perhaps Joyce is being given the U18 job as it is possibly the most crucial stage in players development at the club?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Perhaps Joyce is being given the U18 job as it is possibly the most crucial stage in players development at the club?
Yeah thought about the same plus he seems a fantastic coach too.

khoazany

There're more to come but perhaps less publicized.Butt has argued with some of the youth coaches about the training method this week.Not really sure how good/bad Butt is but at least looks like he's not going to sit back and watch.

Classical Mechanic

There're more to come but perhaps less publicized.Butt has argued with some of the youth coaches about the training method this week.Not really sure how good/bad Butt is but at least looks like he's not going to sit back and watch.
Do you think the axing of McGuiness indicates that things are going to become more results driven in that age group now?

C'est Moi Cantona

Giggs to take over the U21's maybe?

Drainy

There're more to come but perhaps less publicized.
If this was all they have come up with it would be very worrying. Also, if this is the headline move, I'm a bit concerned. It's not exactly earth-shattering is it?

After watching Spurs, Chelsea and City invest in their youth infrastructure from the ground up, appointing someone without much of a track record in youth football to oversee the whole system, with I assume the intention getting more foreign talents at 16/17 and focusing on getting the most out of maturing talents tells me we are giving up the ground from u16s downwards to City

khoazany

Do you think the axing of McGuiness indicates that things are going to become more results driven in that age group now?
U18s is the first age group when the competitive factor is introduced so despite development is a priority, the lads need to get used to being well-drilled and playing under certain well-constructed tactical play to get results (from what I understand anyway).Joyce will fit that purpose although I think he's best kept at U21s level.

Last edited:

khoazany

If this was all they have come up with it would be very worrying. Also, if this is the headline move, I'm a bit concerned. It's not exactly earth-shattering is it?

After watching Spurs, Chelsea and City invest in their youth infrastructure from the ground up, appointing someone without much of a track record in youth football to oversee the whole system, with I assume the intention getting more foreign talents at 16/17 and focusing on getting the most out of maturing talents tells me we are giving up the ground from u16s downwards to City
We're not.We have just signed 2 good talents in the U15s age group alone (going by the reviews).They have already made some changes this season like extra training time for elite talents from U11s onward - plus one U10 (before that it's U13s onward).Think there're going to be more changes in those age groups in the coming period after the "review".

Last edited:

Brightonian

This doesn't feel like the end result, just an intermediate situation. But it shows that they are dealing with the situation. It may be that if they're bringing someone in from the outside they won't be able to do so until the summer. By all accounts Butt's impressed so far though, so this is by no means a bad set-up for now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I hope we gat more details about structural changes. Facilities, scouts, coaching etc.

Mister_Stubbs

All we need now is for the Neville's, Becks and Scholes back involved and all you romantics out there will be happy.

That said Nicky has history with our academy so hopefully that will stand in him good stead.

gza the genius

This doesn't seem like something that should've taken 10 months to sort out...

I'm not saying it's a bad appointment, I honestly have no idea. But, talk of a complete overhaul from Woodward and then naming someone who was already here seems underwhelming.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This doesn't seem like something that should've taken 10 months to sort out...

I'm not saying it's a bad appointment, I honestly have no idea. But, talk of a complete overhaul from Woodward and then naming someone who was already here seems underwhelming.
I read that he was offered the job months ago but didn't gave an answer, I assumed wrongly that it was dead in the water.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So if Butt was the choice and he's been here since 2012, what took 11 months of deliberation to put two and two together since McLair left? Day by day it feels like the club is run by George Costanza.

JPRouve

Scout

dichinero

Not that I know much but Butt as an appointment feels so underwhelming!

jb8521

That's what I don't understand, what happened between the moment he has been offered the job and now?

@jb8521 You have an idea?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...-set-land-academy-lead-role-Old-Trafford.html
I heard he was offered it last year and turned it down because he hadn't decided what he wanted to do long term and its obviously a long term role to undertake. I'm not sure whether circumstances have changed for him or what but as has been said he's been doing the role since the start of the season and must have decided it's what he wants to do. It has probably actually worked out as a positive thing that the club has also had a chance to assess him in the role and are now making it official. He has already been part of some positive changes in the younger age groups from what I've heard.

JPRouve

Scout
I heard he was offered it last year and turned it down because he hadn't decided what he wanted to do long term and its obviously a long term role to undertake. I'm not sure whether circumstances have changed for him or what but as has been said he's been doing the role since the start of the season and must have decided it's what he wants to do. It has probably actually worked out as a positive thing that the club has also had a chance to assess him in the role and are now making it official
Thanks, in hindsight it's great that the club took his time; they eventually ended up with their initial target.

jb8521

Nicky Butt appointed Head of Academy
Nicky Butt has been appointed as Manchester United’s new Head of Academy.

Nicky, 41, is a graduate of the Academy’s famous Class of '92 and made 387 competitive appearances for the Club between 1992 and 2004, during which time he won six Premier League titles, three FA Cups, a UEFA Champions League and an Intercontinental Cup winners’ medal. He currently holds his UEFA Pro coaching licence.

Announcing the appointment, Executive Vice-Chairman Ed Woodward said: “I am delighted that Nicky has accepted the role of Head of Academy. Nicky has the traditions and heritage of this Club in his blood and he is the natural choice to ensure that, in modernising the way the Academy operates and shaping the new investment we are making, it retains the values and the focus that it has always had.

"Manchester United’s Academy is completely focused on producing young players for our first team. As a graduate of its finest team in the modern era, Nicky will bring passion, energy and experience to drive the Academy forward, retaining the characteristics that give us a competitive advantage – namely an unmatched track record of player development together with the runway of first-team action.

"In the last four years, some 15 Academy graduates have played for the first team, playing a total of 173 appearances – a record of which the Club is very proud.”

Nicky Butt said: “It’s a privilege to take on this role. As someone who learned his trade in the United youth set-up, it’s a huge honour now to be given the chance to lead the Academy and to instil its values and attitudes to continue to create future generations of Manchester United players.

“It’s a big challenge but I am fortunate to be taking over a dedicated, first-class team. Our aim remains the same – to keep supplying the first team with well-coached, rounded players that understand the responsibility of playing for the biggest club in the world.”

Can people stop claiming that they're making cuts to the academy now

R'hllor

This is all well and good but if every single level is in free for all mode,where they dont push in same direction play style,way of training wise etc. then whats the point.

Sylar

Looks like Jimmy from South Park there
oh dear :lol: haha.

Took their time though. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

This is all well and good but if every single level is in free for all mode,where they dont push in same direction play style,way of training wise etc. then whats the point.
Agreed, this is one of the things Barca excelled at right? Having their youth teams have the same shape / formation as the main team so they are ready to step up when needed. Saying that, I still dont even know what our best formation is with the players we got, and more worryingly I dont think LVG knows either

Devil may care

It seems a bit an odd choice for such a big position, not sure I like the continued intent to get the class of '92 involved.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
It seems a bit an odd choice for such a big position, not sure I like the continued intent to get the class of '92 involved.
Two ways of looking at it.

On one hand, it's great to have them involved, at that level, for obvious reasons. In terms of first team matters, two have them have been involved in two disastrous managerial reigns, as coaches and there's no getting away from that. It doesn't reflect well

Devil may care

Two ways of looking at it.

On one hand, it's great to have them involved, at that level, for obvious reasons. In terms of first team matters, two have them have been involved in two disastrous managerial reigns, as coaches and there's no getting away from that. It doesn't reflect well
Truthfully I'd rather sever ties completely, I'm not a fan of looking to the past personally and we are putting people in jobs seemingly based more on history with the club than proven success in the particular role.

Norris

I'll be honest, I feel a little underwhelmed. I heard the position was vacant for over 10 months and then we decide to give the job internally ? Was it a case of us approaching the Youth Development Heads from Spurs, Athletico (As was suggested in the media) and not getting them ?

Also, some here say he has done a good job so far this season. Can they say what positive changes he has made, because I don't know what happens at that level.