The Academy restructuring thread

Leonard17

How exactly does it work, does anyone know?
Those who go on trial, but are deemed not ready or good enough yet, go to the shadow squad, then I think they get reassessed each year for their readiness for a trial or a place in the academy. So it's a case of not letting potential players go and keeping them within the club and seeing how they develop.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't know in detail. It's like a second rung for kids that don't impress enough on their trial to get a place in the academy but the coaches think they might be able to break through in the future.
But kids don't get promoted / relegated between the two academy systems or anything like that? Simply involves having a 2nd U14 team or whatever for those kids who have something but the coaches aren't really sure about?

Prodigal7

But kids don't get promoted / relegated between the two academy systems or anything like that? Simply involves having a 2nd U14 team or whatever for those kids who have something but the coaches aren't really sure about?
Yeah. Some players are a little nervous during their trial and some are smaller and find it hard to impose themselves in games against bigger opposition. Also, if the team plays poorly in a game it makes it more difficult for the trialist. I don't think the shadow academy players receive financial support in the way the regular academy players do so you will also get very committed players in the shadow academy.

Zoo

PSV Eindhoven talent scout Roy Beukenkamp will leave the club immediately to join Manchester United.

The former goalkeeper has been a part of the PSV technical staff for the past year but according to VI has now signed a contract to join Manchester United for an indefinite number of years. He will be based in the Netherlands.

Beukenkamp told VI, “It was quite a difficult choice.I worked very comfortable with PSV. When the club first showed interest I did not address it immediately. Eventually, you start thinking anyway. This is an opportunity that might never come. Last week, the clubs reached an outcome. I start immediately. ”

Before joining PSV, Beukenkamp worked with Groningen and FC Twente.
http://www.football-oranje.com/psv-scout-joins-manchester-united/

dr.twinny

Eh? Thought he was pretty close to coming over. Is it just money that's the sticking point? I'm sure we can up our offer to try and tempt him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So apparently the parents of the youth players were called in for a meeting
Meeting was with Nick Cox, Tony Strudwick and Les Parry, main topic was about athletic development, saying that when our kids reach 18 they expect the game to be even faster than it is today, therefore they are going to implement athletic development plans, tailored to each individual player and linked to the Premier League PMA system. To be honest, most top academies have been doing this for a number of years, so I guess it shows how much we have fallen behind.
This is waht happened.

Loopy

Heard the presentation wasn't much and those were the same promises as their last one.
It was the same as previous years only difference is the introduction to entire team extended sessions (Tuesday afternoons) for the athletic development, from school year 7 (u12) No real new info, just the general introduction to the new season, and the introduction to new staff, cox and Butt in a formal presentation.

khoazany

It was the same as previous years only difference is the introduction to entire team extended sessions (Tuesday afternoons) for the athletic development, from school year 7 (u12) No real new info, just the general introduction to the new season, and the introduction to new staff, cox and Butt in a formal presentation.
Thanks for the info.So are they abandoning day release for the selected lads or is it on a different timeslot on Tuesday?

Loopy

Thanks for the info.So are they abandoning day release for the selected lads or is it on a different timeslot on Tuesday?
Day release will now be for ALL boys from U12 and up, same time as before on a Tuesday afternoon. So no "elite" selection, they may have one U11 (who plays up in U12 on a permanent basis) who is involved in this, but I'm not 100 % How this will happen as all the u12 are in secondary school except this one lad.
So to answer in short: all boys will be receiving extended training time, the select elite will be having the same amount as the rest of the squad. This is all ever embryonic so it may change. They need to consider the elite few and the under 11 who has different education needs (being in primary school). The U12 and above will all be in for training on a Tuesday pm, this is being introduced in over the next few months, the 13's 14's will be in sept and Oct with the U 12 starting in November. This is bigger than ever before, they will have 30-50boys in instead of the previous 15-20.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Didn't know he was a coach. Just thought he was with MUTV.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He was a coach? I know he used to commentate (dry as day old bread mind you) u18's etc but never knew he was a coach.

WhoDaGOAT

Didn't know he was a coach. Just thought he was with MUTV.
He was a coach? I know he used to commentate (dry as day old bread mind you) u18's etc but never knew he was a coach.
He often used to comment on working with players during his commentary and analysis. He always said wonderful things about Mitchell. He refers to him as "Demi" when speaking about him. He spoke highly about Wilson's finishing as well.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
I enjoyed listening to him on MUTV talking about the youth players as he didn't sugarcoat everything about them and gave good insight. No idea how good of a coach he was mind.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He often used to comment on working with players during his commentary and analysis. He always said wonderful things about Mitchell. He refers to him as "Demi" when speaking about him. He spoke highly about Wilson's finishing as well.
I see. Honestly didn't know he did.
He's been a coach at Utd for a good few years?

WhoDaGOAT

I see. Honestly didn't know he did.
He's been a coach at Utd for a good few years?
I'm not sure how long, to be honest. I think it's at least 5 years. If I remember correctly, he was commenting on Wilson when he was still only 15/16.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yet we are producing more players for the first team.

Nero

"Kings of youth development" and also implying the reason Utd considered refusing to play City was based on the fact that they beat us in a game. Yeah, that was the reason. What nonsense.

Nero

What was the reason then?
Whether there was any truth I don't know, but the suggestion was that it was because of City's aggressive approach of trying to take our young players from us. Had nothing to do with us taking our ball home getting beat 9-0.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This article is written by a blue so no surprise that it's written in such nonsense manner. Kings of Youth development should be a title given to Ajax or Barcelona.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
Whether there was any truth I don't know, but the suggestion was that it was because of City's aggressive approach of trying to take our young players from us. Had nothing to do with us taking our ball home getting beat 9-0.
So... alleged 'aggressive appproaching' of talent from a rival... completely different from today's mirror story about the attempted poaching of talent from a rival then?

'Aggressive approach', Youthful Giggs springs to mind among many?

The 9-0 served as another, headline grabbing, wake up call to a club to begin to recognise the long term decline building up with the (now up to the level of) u18 squads downwards.

A comparison of last year's results for u18 downwards would be indicative of where the current 'crown' really doesn't lie.

Leonard17

So... alleged 'aggressive appproaching' of talent from a rival... completely different from today's mirror story about the attempted poaching of talent from a rival then?

'Aggressive approach', Youthful Giggs springs to mind among many?

The 9-0 served as another, headline grabbing, wake up call to a club to begin to recognise the long term decline building up with the (now up to the level of) u18 squads downwards.

A comparison of last year's results for u18 downwards would be indicative of where the current 'crown' really doesn't lie.
Sorry, but so many factual errors here.

As far as I know scouts can be approached, it's up to them to take up the offer or not. A compensation to their club is likely to be paid based on the value of their contract.

Signing Giggs hardly constitutes aggressive approach. He was at City, Fergie was made aware and when he turned 14, he was there at midnight to sign him. What's aggressive about that?

What do you know about the "decline" of the squads younger than u18? In terms of context I mean. Because that's exactly what the score line/headline was, without context. Our best players at that age group were away and didn't play. That age group now (u15) is one of the most talented if not the most talented at the academy. Fixtures at that level have no meaning also, so was a nothing result.

Do you have last years results for u18's down? Have you seen them?

Prodigal7

It's widely recognised in the football world that city and Chelsea have overtaken us in the pre u16 age groups. But this article really sensationalises it with misguided stats

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
Sorry, but so many factual errors here.

As far as I know scouts can be approached, it's up to them to take up the offer or not. A compensation to their club is likely to be paid based on the value of their contract.

Signing Giggs hardly constitutes aggressive approach. He was at City, Fergie was made aware and when he turned 14, he was there at midnight to sign him. What's aggressive about that?

What do you know about the "decline" of the squads younger than u18? In terms of context I mean. Because that's exactly what the score line/headline was, without context. Our best players at that age group were away and didn't play. That age group now (u15) is one of the most talented if not the most talented at the academy. Fixtures at that level have no meaning also, so was a nothing result.

Do you have last years results for u18's down? Have you seen them?
Facts:
'Giggs was signed at midnight the day he turned 14' - says it all.

Scouts approached, yep fine, must be a bit hard to swallow though, no? Throwing money at the problem to a rival? J'accuse pot.

A (singular it sounds) 'nothing result'?
City won every league equivalent title from u10's to u18's , including in your own words the hallowed u15's level, last year, and many of the cups.

United u18's finished 2nd from bottom (11 out of 12 on 18 points, 30 behind the leaders) in the northern section, by beating bottom placed stoke in the final game. They then proceeded to rip it up (not) in the combined div3 final stage and finished 4th, so that's 21 places below the div1 winners.
See the 'fiction' at:
https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U18&co=8&se=35

'Facts' , yes please.

Drainy

And at youth level, their results have been so impressive in local derbies that last season United were thinking about refusing to play their rivals after City humiliated their Under-14s team 9-0.
What an absolute lying cnut this 'journalist' is.

A group of clubs were threatening to boycott City because of their aggressive poaching of talents.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Facts:
'Giggs was signed at midnight the day he turned 14' - says it all.

Scouts approached, yep fine, must be a bit hard to swallow though, no? Throwing money at the problem to a rival? J'accuse pot.

A (singular it sounds) 'nothing result'?
City won every league equivalent title from u10's to u18's , including in your own words the hallowed u15's level, last year, and many of the cups.

United u18's finished 2nd from bottom (11 out of 12 on 18 points, 30 behind the leaders) in the northern section, by beating bottom placed stoke in the final game. They then proceeded to rip it up (not) in the combined div3 final stage and finished 4th, so that's 21 places below the div1 winners.
See the 'fiction' at:
https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U18&co=8&se=35

'Facts' , yes please.

I think there is little doubt that the city academy has overtaken United's in recent years. Last season was the worst in our youth history.

That is why Butt, Murtagh and others are putting so much emphasis in getting it right again. If you want the best then you have to get it from somewhere...I have no problem with United getting the best manager from another club...the best coaches from another club...the best scouts from another club...just like players. It certainly doesn't bother me that some of those scouts are on our doorstep

In terms of city winning league equivalents...there are no league tables or regular home and away games below the U/18's so not sure how anyone can win a league that doesn't exist

As far as Giggs is concerned...yes he trained with city from time to time when he was 14 but Academies didn't exist back then so saying we aggressively poached him is totally untrue. Lot's of lads during those times trained with loads of different clubs and it was very, very informal. At 15 you could sign schoolboy forms and Giggs chose United as he no allegiance to any club...

khoazany

What an absolute lying cnut this 'journalist' is.

A group of clubs were threatening to boycott City because of their aggressive poaching of talents.
People just don't understand how annoying City is. Their scouts were at our matches at every level. Even in some of our away games so we just can't stop them. It's pretty predictable who they will approach as well, basically they were into the ears of every parent on the best players in the U9s-U12s age group or even those U7s-U8s who technically were too young to "sign" for the club and could train/play for everyone. At those age the compensation fee is low and kids only sign one year deal. Not just with us though they regularly poached the best talents of the academies around the area (Liverpool,Blackburn,...). Anyone really think we wanted to boycott playing against them just because we lost some matches? We were fecking terrible in the Marveld Cup in the last few years and we never missed a year.

I have no insider info on this (well I'm not that "obsessed" about City's academy, just our of pure curiosity) but looking at their "team" in those U14s-U16s level it seems that they're trying to build a "team" already at that level with a quite balanced "XI" (I saw a teamsheet of them in the U15s cup and it's a very good side but what strikes me is they have almost nobody playing out of position at all). You can see their U18s first year intake this year. They have 1 goalkeeper, 4 defenders, 2-3 midfielders, 3-4 AM/wingers and 1-2 strikers. What does it look to you? Not a criticism but it's a huge difference in their approach compared to us and no wonder they won a lot of tournaments at those lower age groups, I mean it's not a rocket science looking at those facts.