The Active Shooter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What makes it even more terrible is that it'll be pretty much forgotten in a few weeks.
That's optimistic. Church shooting in Florida was probably on the news for a few days tops and then faded into the background again in spite of the damage done.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
That's optimistic. Church shooting in Florida was probably on the news for a few days tops and then faded into the background again in spite of the damage done.
A few weeks? This will not be news worthy or on anyone's minds in a few days.
Probably awfully true. I remember Columbine happening when I was a kid and that freaked me out for years, and that was 15 dead including the two shooters.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This thread has happened multiple times before as well. It will descend into a gun control argument with a few people until it eventually dies off and then another shooting will happen and the same things will be talked about. America is f*cked and it'll stay that way until they make major changes and that is not happening any time soon.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Shooter apparently had gas masks and set off the fire alarms to lure the kids out of the classrooms before starting to shoot. Sick stuff.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I'll take a wild guess that it is because guns are so easily and cheaply available.
That's what the politicians wants you to believe. They make guns the issue so the real issues won't be talked about.

Mental health of the US citizens is a much bigger issue leading to mass shootings or any other crime. And what is driving people in the US to go nuts?

The steady and notorious increase of income inequality since the 70s might have something to do with that, and that is something politicians definitely don't want to talk about.

Carolina Red

Staff
Shooter apparently had gas masks and set off the fire alarms to lure the kids out of the classrooms before starting to shoot. Sick stuff.
We actually practice that in lockdown drills.

First time we did it last year 10 teachers opened doors and started going down the hallway with their students.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
That's what the politicians wants you to believe. They make guns the issue so the real issues won't be talked about.

Mental health of the US citizens is a much bigger issue leading to mass shootings or any other crime. And what is driving people in the US to go nuts?

The steady and notorious increase of income inequality since the 70s might have something to do with that,
and that is something politicians definitely don't want to talk about.
It might have something to do with mental health in general but not mass shootings. Many of the shooters had money or came from decent families.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

The steady and notorious increase of income inequality since the 70s might have something to do with that, and that is something politicians definitely don't want to talk about.
Lots of things, but definitely not guns then. Fair enough.

George Owen

Lots of things, but definitely not guns then. Fair enough.
I'm all in for more control and even prohibition (why the feck you want a gun?) but you will still be producing mentally sick people on a big scale. If not with a gun, attackers will use a knife or a vehicle or whatever easy method, and maybe the number of death toll could decline, but the number of violent issues will still be the same.

The Firestarter

I'm all in for more control and even prohibition (why the feck you want a gun?) but you will still be producing mentally sick people on a big scale. If not with a gun, attackers will use a knife or a vehicle or whatever easy method, and maybe the number of death toll could decline, but the number of violent issues will still be the same.
That logic is beyond nonsensical. Guns and especially automatic assault rifles give the detachment and ease to murder mass amounts of people in short amount of time. If you are a psychopath who has a grudge with your ex co workers you won't get your car into the office, you will not take a knife or a samurai sword.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Why 'maybe', is there any doubt?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I agree that there's an issue with mental health, but it seems to be heavily linked to the guns too. Maybe these thoughts are happening in the first place because their lives are based around guns so much (or even if not, they're everywhere in the states this seems to happen most), which are quite obviously designed for killing people.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Little bit offensive to tie mental health issues derived from inequality to the wanton slaughter of school kids, in my opinion. I fail to see any likely causal link.

George Owen

It might have something to do with mental health in general but not mass shootings. Many of the shooters had money or came from decent families.
Are they not part of the US society too? mental illness is like a virus, it's kinda contagious.

A kid or member from a "decent" family can feel as much mental stress as a poor kid. The pressure to be as successful as his dad, the pressure to keep up with certain style of life, etc, there are many of this stressors, that you can say are social stressors no kid should have to face, but they do because they grow up in a place where social classes determine how your life gonna go.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Any stats to prove that mental health issues are more prevalent in the USA than any other country

Spirit of Solskjaer

The Firestarter

Are they not part of the US society too? mental illness is like a virus, it's kinda contagious.

A kid or member from a "decent" family can feel as much mental stress as a poor kid. The pressure to be as successful as his dad, the pressure to keep up with certain style of life, etc, there are many of this stressors, that you can say are social stressors no kid should have to face, but they do because they grow up in a place where social classes determine how your life gonna go.
Stop sprouting shite, USA is not unique with its mental health problems whatever their root causes. Other first world countries have them too. But you don't see a school university or a workplace being gunned every other month.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Apparently in the piers morgan interview Trump said something on the lines of if the other side had guns in Vegas the number of victims would have been lesser. Mad country

The Firestarter

Apparently in the piers morgan interview Trump said something on the lines of if the other side had guns in Vegas the number of victims would have been lesser. Mad country
Yeah what could go wrong with a crowd of people shooting at a fully booked hotel's windows.I know he's dumb but even I find that hard to believe.

George Owen

Little bit offensive to tie mental health issues derived from inequality to the wanton slaughter of school kids, in my opinion. I fail to see any likely causal link.
Not my intention to be offensive, just want to give a different perspective. Yes, guns are a problem and restricting the access to them will benefit greatly to prevent mass shooting victims, but there are others issues too that need to be addressed. Guns are not the reason why people is killing people.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not my intention to be offensive, just want to give a different perspective. Yes, guns are a problem and restricting the access to them will benefit greatly to prevent mass shooting victims, but there are others issues too that need to be addressed. Guns are not the reason why people is killing people.
Its a combination of both factors. You can have a society where mental health is a problem at the same time as the society is flooded with 300m firearms. Obviously both together is a recipe for disasters so you can address the mental health bit, all the while finding ways to reduce or eliminate the glut of guns.

George Owen

Its a combination of both factors. You can have a society where mental health is a problem at the same time as the society is flooded with 300m firearms. Obviously both together is a recipe for disasters so you can address the mental health bit, all the while finding ways to reduce or eliminate the glut of guns.
fair enough, but for that happen it needs to be acknowledged as one of the problems too. Politicians and News are happy to stand and trade talking about guns, but they won't go deeper.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut

I was commenting on your suggestion this is related to financial inequality, which it clearly isn't.

Neutral

BTV
-Thoughts and prayers
-Now is not the time to talk about gun laws
-Mental health
-Nothing could have prevented this
-Gun free zones to blame
-This is just one individual, let's not pass judgement on all gun owners
-Founding fathers
-Constitutional right
-Stop making it political
-More thoughts and prayers
-We're no.1!!!!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Mental health is an issue everywhere and there are various contributing factors that could improve the situation. Lets do it.

In the mean time it might just be a good idea not to heavily arm them. Just a thought.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The number of dead people would be vastly decreased. And gun availability feeds the gun culture which feeds gun violence. Then repeat.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
It clearly is.

Go take it to another thread because this shooting and mass shooting in general are not a financial inequality issue.

The Vegas shooter had spent tens of thousands on firearms and ammo, the Sandy Hook shooter came from a middle class family. Most mass shooters have spent significant amounts of money on firearms, magazines and ammo. I can barely think of a mass shooter that was obviously poor or under privileged.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Mental health is a big issue in every country, no country is dealing with it correctly. The mass shootings of school is not just a mental health problem, it's a cultural problem. Plenty of populous countries with lots of guns that don't have problems with mass shootings in schools. Countries with a much higher murder rate than the US don't have that specific problem.

There is no simple answer or a simple solution to this. A step towards the right direction would be to limit gun use and not give shooters a mention in the news but it's not a magic solution.

George Owen

Go take it to another thread because this shooting and mass shooting in general are not a financial inequality issue.

The Vegas shooter had spent tens of thousands on firearms and ammo, the Sandy Hook shooter came from a middle class family. Most mass shooters have spent significant amounts of money on firearms, magazines and ammo. I can barely think of a mass shooter that was obviously poor or under privileged.
Same knife, different side of the blade. The more unequal a society, the more violent. Fact.

The socioeconomic has everything to do with crime.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you guys are going to talk gun control then take it next door to the gun control thread.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
As usual, gun sales will increase after a mass shooting. It happens every time. NRA memberships will increase $ to gun makers in the short term. Sickening

Status
Not open for further replies.