The Africa Thread

freeurmind

weak willed
Why not? 1.2 billion people and about half of them United fans. Place to discuss all things concerning the birthplace of civilization. Please keep the coming to America and Wakanda jokes to a minimum.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Hmm great thread idea, where do we start?
History, politics, economy, music, tourism...

Are you from anywhere in Africa @freeurmind ?

I came back from Ghana on Friday, and the more I visit the more im convinced I need to retire early and settle out there.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I’m from Accra, my dad is from Cape Coast - I went to his hometown and fell in love with the place
Ok thanks. Have spent about 6/8 months in Ghana in total over the years, mainly in Sekondi-Takoradi but have also spent some time in Accra, Kumasi and Sefwi-Wiawso. Have been through Cape Coast on numerous occasions and visited the Cape Coast Castle.

freeurmind

weak willed
Hmm great thread idea, where do we start?
History, politics, economy, music, tourism...

Are you from anywhere in Africa @freeurmind ?

I came back from Ghana on Friday, and the more I visit the more im convinced I need to retire early and settle out there.
Yes I hail from Windhoek, Namibia. Moved back a couple of years ago after time spent in the States for studies and work. Really glad I made the decision, life is quite good here as long as you have a good income and it's good to be close to family and to actively make a contribution towards the country's development.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Ok thanks. Have spent about 6/8 months in Ghana in total over the years, mainly in Sekondi-Takoradi but have also spent some time in Accra, Kumasi and Sefwi-Wiawso. Have been through Cape Coast on numerous occasions and visited the Cape Coast Castle.
Nice! For work?
How did you find it?

Yes I hail from Windhoek, Namibia. Moved back a couple of years ago after time spent in the States for studies and work. Really glad I made the decision, life is quite good here as long as you have a good income and it's good to be close to family and to actively make a contribution towards the country's development.
Beautiful, I can’t wait to visit Namibia one day

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes for work, first time in 1985 spent three months, over time the infrastructure, services etc. vastly improved.
I found people are very friendly.
Only problem I'm not a great fan of heat.
Lovely, I’m glad you enjoyed it!
When was the last time you visited? The improvements to infrastructure in the last 10 years or so have really surprised me from when I first started going back in the early 00’s

The heat can be unbearable, the strength of the sun really is something else during the warm seasons, I could barely move without beginning to sweat when I was out there :lol:

Paul the Wolf

Lovely, I’m glad you enjoyed it!
When was the last time you visited? The improvements to infrastructure in the last 10 years or so have really surprised me from when I first started going back in the early 00’s

The heat can be unbearable, the strength of the sun really is something else during the warm seasons, I could barely move without beginning to sweat when I was out there :lol:
The last time was around 2011. Yes just step outside and start sweating.
Although through work I was in contact with Ghana many times a day every day for 30 years.

diarm

I went to Zambia in 2011 and it's one of my favourite places I've ever been. Spent a night in Lusaka, then 2 days in Livingstone and a week up in Mfuwe and the South Luangwa national park. Just an incredible place with brilliant people and the most stunning landscape and wildlife I've ever seen.

Otherwise I've been to South Africa, Kenya, Egypt, Mauritius and Morocco as well as living in the Seychelles for four years. Botswana, Malawi, Mozambique and Madagascar are high up on my bucket list to visit.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
So predominantly the Western region. I really want to explore the Northern region, because I've only been exposed to the glamour side of Ghana due to a wealthy family member that lives in Ghana

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’m from Accra, my dad is from Cape Coast - I went to his hometown and fell in love with the place
I am jealous. I would love to go to Ghana. Africa in general is somewhere I would love to spend a lot of time. The breadth of cultural and geographical variety across the continent is just staggering.

Also, and I’m sorry but I have to say it, but African women are far and away the most beautiful in the world. :drool:

Paul the Wolf

So predominantly the Western region. I really want to explore the Northern region, because I've only been exposed to the glamour side of Ghana due to a wealthy family member that lives in Ghana
Yes, I've spent some time in Sefwi-Wiawso which is a long way from the glamour side of Ghana in the middle of the bush and in Kumasi in the Ashanti region but have never been further north than that.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I was gonna say you might get chewed and spat out by locals if you decided to emigrate. A long holiday is one thing but permanence doesn't always turn out how you want it to.
I was born there, but moved when I was 5 - why would I get ‘chewed and spat out by locals’ for emigrating?

I am jealous. I would love to go to Ghana. Africa in general is somewhere I would love to spend a lot of time. The breadth of cultural and geographical variety across the continent is just staggering.

Also, and I’m sorry but I have to say it, but African women are far and away the most beautiful in the world. :drool:
Yeah I really can't wait to explore other African countries in the near future too ideally with some people who know the area & can speak the language.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Both Lagos and Ibadan. Ibadan is a big town not too far from Lagos. That's where I'm from.
I'm starting a business over there so I'll be going often over the next year.
Nice! Mind sharing a bit about the business you'll be starting?

I wanna drive to Nigeria next time i'm in Ghana and explore a bit

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nice! Mind sharing a bit about the business you'll be starting?

I wanna drive to Nigeria next time i'm in Ghana and explore a bit
More of property. I got two pieces of land in different areas in Ibadan and looking to develop it. If it's successful, it's something I'd like to get into long-term. The currency situation has made something like that possible. I'd never be able to do something like that in the UK on my salary. :lol:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
More of property. I got two pieces of land in different areas in Ibadan and looking to develop it. If it's successful, it's something I'd like to get into long-term. The currency situation has made something like that possible.
Fantastic. You seem like quite the ambitious individual.

I'd never be able to do something like that in the UK on my salary. :lol:
The exchange rate with UK and African countries is insane. £48 is about 300GH cedis. That can buy me years supply of etor.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
More of property. I got two pieces of land in different areas in Ibadan and looking to develop it. If it's successful, it's something I'd like to get into long-term. The currency situation has made something like that possible. I'd never be able to do something like that in the UK on my salary. :lol:
Funny you say that, I'm thinking of buying land in Cape Coast and possibly Accra for the same reason - like you said the currency conversion is crazy. Also next time I go i'm going to open an account with Barclays because the interest rate in Ghana is 13%! With a £10k yearly transfer limit.
Luckily my mum has already built some houses and collects rent so long term i'd love to just manage a decent property portfolio

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Every time I think about the currency conversion rates with African countries i'm brought back to this video

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fantastic. You seem like quite the ambitious individual.

The exchange rate with UK and African countries is insane. £48 is about 300GH cedis. That can buy me years supply of etor.
I'm lucky to have come to the UK but I'm not confident I'll settle here. My dad worked for a UK company all his adult life in both the UK and Nigeria. Going by his experiences, I think it's important to have something you're doing for yourself.
I know right. My dad is retired and my mum is a university lecturer on peanuts. I send about £500 to them every month and it usually covers most of their expenses for the entire month. She even gives some of it out. A big load of bread is the equivalent of 15p.