The Africa Thread

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thanks guys.
I found out why there were so many gunshots. Apparently, the mother of the current governor of Lagos lives a few blocks from where I stay. Her home was attacked last night. The gunshots were by military men trying to scare people off while they moved her elsewhere.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Like I said earlier, I am in Lagos at the moment. Couldn't sleep. Police/military kept shooting on my street throughout the night.
Stay safe, man. I was in a similar situation last year in Khartoum, and it was really traumatizing, especially for children.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Thanks guys.
I found out why there were so many gunshots. Apparently, the mother of the current governor of Lagos lives a few blocks from where I stay. Her home was attacked last night. The gunshots were by military men trying to scare people off while they moved her elsewhere.
I hope things are more peaceful now?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Thanks guys.
My friend lives in Alausa area. Pretty much barricaded in his house. Was hearing gunshots all day.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thanks guys.
Hope you're keeping safe.

Are the riots all over Lagos, or just in parts like VI, Lekki and Ikeja?

Adisa

Uganda hold elections today. Bobi Wine is up against the incumbent, Museveni who has been president since 1986. I feel desperately sad for these people. How do we as a continent get rid of these despots?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Uganda hold elections today. Bobi Wine is up against the incumbent, Museveni who has been president since 1986. I feel desperately sad for these people. How do we as a continent get rid of these despots?
It's a difficult one. It seems so widespread. Tanzania is full of Magufuli posters all over the place (although admittedly he is allegedly coming out of the whole pandemic in a good light, rightly or wrongly), Zanzibar also has their local head all over. In Ethiopia Ahmed has made some real fecking power grabs the last year or so. And as you say it sounds like a lot of shit has been going on leading up to the Ugandan elections. Maybe as long as there are challenges sufficiently big outside of elections the current heads of state can consolidate their power by focusing on these issues? I don't know.

Adisa

Another 300 girls kidnapped from school in Nigeria.
To be frank the north of Nigeria is a failed state at the moment. Kidnapping and ransom payments are absolutely rampant. The problem is even spreading south with ethnic tension with Fulani herdsmen brewing.
As a Nigerian, I can't tell you how cataclysmic the present administration has been. The country is being held by a thread and you get the feeling something has to give.
I haven't even started on the economic situation. The worst in three decades. Government raiding pensions, bank accounts etc. Even the upper middle class are getting squeezed right now.
This country is on a one way ticket towards civil war.

adexkola

Supports
To be frank the north of Nigeria is a failed state at the moment. Kidnapping and ransom payments are absolutely rampant. The problem is even spreading south with ethnic tension with Fulani herdsmen brewing.
As a Nigerian, I can't tell you how cataclysmic the present administration has been. The country is being held by a thread and you get the feeling something has to give.
I haven't even started on the economic situation. The worst in three decades. Government raiding pensions, bank accounts etc. Even the upper middle class are getting squeezed right now.
The entire country is a failed state. The herding issue alone is infuriating. I have a friend who's crop was ruined by Fulani herdsmen bringing their cows onto his land.

I think regionalism is the way forward. The Federal government is incapable of doing the basics.

UmbroDays

Tragic.

I'm nigerian on my dad's side and havent been back home. I wonder if I ever will be able to without fear

Adisa

The entire country is a failed state. The herding issue alone is infuriating. I have a friend who's crop was ruined by Fulani herdsmen bringing their cows onto his land.

I think regionalism is the way forward. The Federal government is incapable of doing the basics.
I am normally against the idea secession (Spain, Scotland, Sudan etc). Usually think it solves nothing but I can't see any other way forward, maybe because I am biased. Nigeria is just an artificial country a white guy drew on a chalkboard and forced people who have nothing in common to live together. Nigerian governments have always been tribalistic and guilty of nepotism but this government is on another level.
Tragic.

I'm nigerian on my dad's side and havent been back home. I wonder if I ever will be able to without fear
How safe you are still largely depends on which region you go to. Crimes like mugging, robbery are everywhere but the further north you go, the more unsafe you are. That's the general rule of thumb. I go back home a couple of times a year and feel relatively comfortable. But adexola is right, the security situation everywhere is getting worse by the week.

adexkola

Supports
I am normally against the idea secession (Spain, Scotland, Sudan etc). Usually think it solves nothing but I can't see any other way forward, maybe because I am biased. Nigeria is just an artificial country a white guy drew on a chalkboard and forced people who have nothing in common to live together. Nigerian governments have always been tribalistic and guilty of nepotism but this government is on another level.
If things continue along this route I can see something similar to what happened in the Balkans, where they disintegrated along ethnic/religious lines once a strong and effective leader in Tito left the scene. Hopefully without the ensuing violence of course.

I don't think this is a foregone conclusion, the election in 2 years will be pivotal once Buhari (definitely the worst president in the country's short lived democratic phase) goes.

And yeah, feck the Berlin Conference and the aftereffects of that.

UmbroDays

Where is your dad from?

You should be good in and around Lagos/Abuja at least.
We are Igbo from Lagos. My tattooist is also Nigerian and he just came back - looks like nothing but joy out there, but I think he went to work on some musicians/celebs, so probably much different than what I'll be getting up to!

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
You've described it very well; people with very little in common living together, and borders often separating peoples who should be together.

We need leadership that can unite and instill a sense of shared identity, but politicians seem to always go for the low lying fruits that divide, tribalism, sectarianism, etc.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

How safe you are still largely depends on which region you go to. Crimes like mugging, robbery are everywhere but the further north you go, the more unsafe you are. That's the general rule of thumb. I go back home a couple of times a year and feel relatively comfortable. But adexola is right, the security situation everywhere is getting worse by the week.
Sad but interesting posts in this thread.

Why is the North more dangerous than the South?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is China's presence growing or has it remained somewhat the same?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Is China's presence growing or has it remained somewhat the same?
Growing, but from what I can see their presence has been less invasive than the presence of the West. At least in Ghana, I can't speak for other countries.

Adisa

Sad but interesting posts in this thread.

Why is the North more dangerous than the South?
Where do i start...
First is the size of the area. The northern part of the country is bigger than the rest of the country combined. When you couple that with one of the most ineffective and corrupt militaries in the world, you have a a shit/il-equipped army having to man a massive region.
The second is the northern border. Nigeria's longest border is shared with what are essentially two failed states. The border is very porus. So you have foreign terrorists and mercenaries coming all the way from Libya or seekeing refuge from Tunisia, Mali etc.
The third is both cultural and religious. Nigeria is divided into three major tribes. Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. The north are Hausa/predominantly Muslim. In the south, you have the Yoruba and Igbo, predominantly Christian but its debatable in the case of Yoruba. I will say the Yorubas are pretty evenly split between Chirstain and Muslim or slightly tilted towards Christian.
Now there is a big literary gap between the north and the south. So what you see is the poverty rate/underevelopment and illiteracy rate much higher in the north. That leaves a small but potent minority in the north susceptible to jihadi propaganda. You often hear about Boko Haram but there are now dozens of terrorists grouos running rampage. Boko Haram are just the biggest.
The fourth is Tribal. Like I said earlier, the predominant group in the north are the Hausa. However there is a smaller tribe in the north called the Fulani. A section of the Fulani are normadic cattle reares. This section have always been in conflict with farmers as their grazing cattle destroy farming communities. These conflicts have escalated. Some feel this has been further instigated by the current administration. Our president is Fulani so some feel this has emboldened the normadic cattle herdsmen. The conflicts have rapidly spread around the country but still mostly concentrated in the north.
So although the entire country faces security challenges, the scale in the north is on a whole different level.
You have state governors offering bandits give sums of money as ransom payments which is increasing the cycle of violence with more kidnappings and money is being used to fund terrorist groups.
I encouraged people to vote for the current president when he ran for office in 2015. He has been a catastrophe.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Where do i start...
First is the size of the area. The northern part of the country is bigger than the rest of the country combined. When you couple that with one of the most ineffective and corrupt militaries in the world, you have a a shit/il-equipped army having to man a massive region.
The second is the northern border. Nigeria's longest border is shared with what are essentially two failed states. The border is very porus. So you have foreign terrorists and mercenaries coming all the way from Libya or seekeing refuge from Tunisia, Mali etc.
The third is both cultural and religious. Nigeria is divided into three major tribes. Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. The north are Hausa/predominantly Muslim. In the south, you have the Yoruba and Igbo, predominantly Christian but its debatable in the case of Yoruba. I will say the Yorubas are pretty evenly split between Chirstain and Muslim or slightly tilted towards Christian.
Now there is a big literary gap between the north and the south. So what you see is the poverty rate/underevelopment and illiteracy rate much higher in the north. That leaves a small but potent minority in the north susceptible to jihadi propaganda. You often hear about Boko Haram but there are now dozens of terrorists grouos running rampage. Boko Haram are just the biggest.
The fourth is Tribal. Like I said earlier, the predominant group in the north are the Hausa. However there is a smaller tribe in the north called the Fulani. A section of the Fulani are normadic cattle reares. This section have always been in conflict with farmers as their grazing cattle destroy farming communities. These conflicts have escalated. Some feel this has been further instigated by the current administration. Our president is Fulani so some feel this has emboldened the normadic cattle herdsmen. The conflicts have rapidly spread around the country but still mostly concentrated in the north.
So although the entire country faces security challenges, the scale in the north is on a whole different level.
Have you been up there @Adisa? Kano is a place I’d like to visit in better times.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yes as recently as 2018. Was in both Kano and Sokoto. My mother couldn't sleep cause I don't understand a word of Hausa.
Is there anything remaining of the medieval walls of Kano do you know?

Zlatattack

Is there an African identity? IAfrica is huge, it's got different languages, cultures, religions, but i hear people talking about problems in Africa, like it's a single bloc. Is there any merit to looking at Africa like that? Is there a pan-African identity?

Zlatattack

Nigeria sounds a bit like Pakistan. We have 4 very different ethnic groups bundled into a country. There is some natural crossover though and most of the population is the same religion, so that helps.

Do you have any thoughts on how Nigeria could work better?

Adisa

Is there anything remaining of the medieval walls of Kano do you know?
There are still a number of ancient structures to explore but thats about what I know.
Nigeria sounds a bit like Pakistan. We have 4 very different ethnic groups bundled into a country. There is some natural crossover though and most of the population is the same religion, so that helps.

Do you have any thoughts on how Nigeria could work better?
The sad part is I don't have a clue. Short of a benevolent-autocratic regime (don't even know if that's possible), I don't think there's any hope.
The democratic system has been so infested with corruption, one wouldn't know where to start. A clean candidate has no chance winning a local election never mind a national one. The political have been able to manipulate the poor and uneducated to such an extent the middle class don't bother showing up at the polls. Most of our political leaders couldn't even string two coherent sentences together in English.
I have never been a fan of the country breaking up but I am warming to the idea. Problems would be easier to solve if we were smaller and less divided.
The fecking Brits carved up the country in such a way the north has such an outsized influence over the rest of the country.
The Igbos have always agitated for secession but now you have the Yorubas, who have never really had that sort of mood asking for the same.
The economic situation has brought tensions to a boil. My honest feeling is I don't see much hope for the country. The country is a giant tinderbox at the moment. Breaks my heart.

Adisa

I don't understand bro. Do you mean your mother was so ashamed of you not knowing Hausa that she couldn't sleep?
No. She was worried about me because I was in a place she thought unsafe and didn't understand the local language.