The Annoying Inconsistency

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We are a good team with great players who are very inconsistent. If we cut down on the frequent needless silly mistakes and increase the tempo in all our games, we can be a real force. Sounds easy for armchair fans like me, but why is that so hard to do for a big club like us?

Raw

It's funny (okay not that funny) how we've become predictably inconsistent. Everyone just knew we'd win well today after the last two shitshows.

Tarrou

We don't seem to know our best midfield or our best formation, so we chop and change constantly. Our fitness seems to be a problem sporadically. We're pretty crap at pressing and average at passing the ball (for a top team).

Maybe we're just not very good?

Sweet Square

We are a good team with great players who are very inconsistent. If we cut down on the frequent needless silly mistakes and increase the tempo in all our games, we can be a real force. Sounds easy for armchair fans like me, but why is that so hard to do for a big club like us?
Because we have a young team with a manager in his second season rebuilding.

Anyone expecting anything else should stop treating professional football like a fifa video game. It's going to take time with lots of highs and lows to come.

I'm just enjoying that we are on the right track.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Martial and rashford

Were looking at you

Sort your brains together ffs, so much talent wasted half of matches

passing-wind

The key to consistency is having a direction, Solskjaer is too reactive to the opposition and we do not lead games on the front foot that's why our results vary but more importantly its the performances. Have we ever looked good this season in the teams capacity to have a strong balance of play for the duration of a game ? The answer is no. This is also something that was clearly evident last season we are relying on players to come up with their own moments of brilliance to often break the deadlock or gain the upper hand.

Those are two distinct examples of why we lack and will never be a consistent team under Solskjaer put simply we perform terribly as a team and we have a pragmatic manager leading the players. No Sancho, Grealish, Upamecano is going to change that.

DoomSlayer

Martial and rashford

Were looking at you

Sort your brains together ffs, so much talent wasted half of matches
Martial more than Rashford currently. Marcus at least has been very productive, whilst also getting himself in great positions to score or create chances.

Both will improve and show their best in the next month, I'm certain.

El Jefe

We've seen this long enough under Ole to know that this team will most likely continue to be inconsistent under him. I could be wrong but I feel this is due to the players being far more important than his system. Players by nature and inconsistent and when we have a couple of our starters not playing well it severely weakens the team.

Oldyella

It's funny (okay not that funny) how we've become predictably inconsistent. Everyone just knew we'd win well today after the last two shitshows.
Yep. Just knew we would bounce back today. Wouldn't be surprised if we win a couple more now, and as soon as us fans start getting confident again we will lose a few.

RUCK4444

Spot on OP. I posted after the match, our only issue is inconsistency, which of course is an important one.

Look at the spells of attacking play we had when we scored those first two goals.

Look at how many top teams and so called top tactical managers we’ve beaten.

We finished 3rd behind two teams we were never going to finish ahead of last year, a matter of months ago.

We’ve had multiple LONG periods of good form, only for the inconsistency to creep in again.

I believe inconsistency is something that is very difficult to coach out of a team. It requires leadership on the pitch importantly.

Leadership is something Bruno pointed out post match. That the team needs other leaders to stand up and set the tone.
THIS is where consistency is then demanded on the pitch, where management can only do so much.

I’m certain as I can be that if we improve the on field leadership it will in turn improve our consistency. If those leaders can be top level players that we need to challenge then I believe we can do exactly that.

el3mel

On paper the current team is good enough to produce a title challenge for me, once we manage to get a consistent tone from them week in week out. Unfortunately at the moment we seem to only play well when our lives depend on it or something.

Untd55

It's indicative of a poorly coached team. You will naturally win games with a very strong team at times, but the fluctuations are far too much, especially after two years in charge.

Once we get the right manager in, you will see our results and consistency improve massively.

RUCK4444

It's indicative of a poorly coached team. You will naturally win games with a very strong team at times, but the fluctuations are far too much, especially after two years in charge.

Once we get the right manager in, you will see our results and consistency improve massively.
Disagree. This team has inconsistency within 90 minutes. That’s not coaching alone it’s a young side with barely any on field leadership.

We lack on the pitch leaders, Bruno eluded to exactly this post match, the pundits were as well.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's very frustrating. Seems like it's a mentality problem and that will be incredibly difficult to sort out.

meamth

Martial more than Rashford currently. Marcus at least has been very productive, whilst also getting himself in great positions to score or create chances.

Both will improve and show their best in the next month, I'm certain.
It's the other way around at the end of last season.

Now it's Rashford's turn, we have to wait for them both to finally turn it on.

Seems like Rashford suffered a knock according to Ole. Hopefully nothing serious and we can kick on from now.

Client6

Because we have a young team with a manager in his second season rebuilding.

Anyone expecting anything else should stop treating professional football like a fifa video game. It's going to take time with lots of highs and lows to come.

I'm just enjoying that we are on the right track.
Can we please sticky this or something? Thanks for your post.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Well, that's football right? Every team is working on that. It's a "we need to score more goals and concede less" kind of advice.
Also, increasing the tempo will result in more mistakes. Not that I don't agree we should play faster, but it comes at a cost. I think if we get some defense stability, we will be more adventurous too.

We don't seem to know our best midfield or our best formation, so we chop and change constantly. Our fitness seems to be a problem sporadically. We're pretty crap at pressing and average at passing the ball (for a top team).

Maybe we're just not very good?
I don't think that part is true. It seems we have pretty settled first XI, with Mata/Greenwood/James being the only question mark. Ole rotated a lot lately because of number of games in different competitions.