Television The Apprentice (2023)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I saw Harpeet - the lass that won last year's - and Akshay (they're together apparently) at the cinema when I was seeing Avatar.

He was on his phone half the time the eejit

stw2022

I hate the obvious editing of the later series. They'll want to make someone look a cnut so they'll film them saying something then splice in a reaction shot taken at clearly an entirely different time with different lighting, background noise levels and everything else.

For a successful show the editing is fecking atrocious.

Everything Sugar says in boardroom is heavily scripted now it would sound more believable and less stilted if they just had fecking Alexa read it.

I still enjoy the show but it's close to unwatchable now it's so overly produced

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wonder how sleep deprived they’ll make them this year!

Leg-End

I see one of them is a former professional cannon-firer, cue Sir Alan making quips on how he should fire him out of one, many polite laughs to follow.

He's been phoning it in for years now anyway, it feels like filming it is a huge inconvenience to him and his advisors, should have sacked it off years ago or changed the format. That being said, will still watch.

Kag

I’ll watch it because it’s an easy way to piss away an hour in the evening, but this really is tired.

Sugar is also an attention-seeking bellend these days. He probably always was in fairness, but now has a mobile phone and Twitter to magnify it.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ive looked through the candidates and feck me this is going to be terrible.
When this first started the candidates were decent and probably a high calibre of business brain - now its the other end of the scale.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Ive looked through the candidates and feck me this is going to be terrible.
When this first started the candidates were decent and probably a high calibre of business brain - now its the other end of the scale.
Ruth Badger would eat this lot for breakfast.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Highlights from the early 2010s years I was following this comedy gold: Baggs the Brand (RIP), the bald man at the interviews destroying a startup candidate showing up with hand-sketched logos, and a scouser gym-man smashing the process all along only to be fired because ill-suited (wtf??).

EDIT: just seen the 2023 pics … aaaaall punchable faces, as usual again :D

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Stopped watching it when Nick Hewer left. Was a really good show at its peak with the afterward show with Dara Ó Briain.

Resonance

Jesus, when did the first 10 minutes turn into a crap Alan Sugar stand up with his cringe jokes.

sebsheep

Imagine paying $100 for a tour and being told to read the signs for information. :lol:
Girls team was an absolute shambles, really not surprised by the result there.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Imagine paying $100 for a tour and being told to read the signs for information. :lol:
Girls team was an absolute shambles, really not surprised by the result there.
Who the feck has 300-400 dollars lying around in their accounts waiting for some stranger(s) to walk up and take off their cards? I would think twice about someone walking up and offering 10 dollar sunglasses!

But at least the show seems to have calmed down. In the first episode anyway. I was expecting the canon nerd, James Bond, Shazia and fat Kardashian to put on a mental display as instructed by the BBC staff but there was little of it thankfully.

CallyRed

Who the feck has 300-400 dollars lying around in their accounts waiting for some stranger(s) to walk up and take off their cards? I would think twice about someone walking up and offering 10 dollar sunglasses!

But at least the show seems to have calmed down. In the first episode anyway. I was expecting the canon nerd, James Bond, Shazia and fat Kardashian to put on a mental display as instructed by the BBC staff but there was little of it thankfully.
Early days but the boys seem to be relatively normal. I was expecting James Bond to be arrogant but he came across ok. The canon nerd has a fantastic voice, perfect for voice overs.
Girls were quite annoying.

Resonance

The girls sales approach was wrong. Not only did they choose the wrong location, but they chose to walk around as a group of 5 rather than splitting up. Surely they could've covered more ground / more potential customers if they split into two groups.

acnumber9

The girls sales approach was wrong. Not only did they choose the wrong location, but they chose to walk around as a group of 5 rather than splitting up. Surely they could've covered more ground / more potential customers if they split into two groups.
That would require multiple camera crews. Everything they do has to be framed in the context that this is a television show. For the first time in a while they don’t seem to have filled it with Love Island rejects.

sebsheep

I don't think they're allowed to. Unless I'm mistaken they split the team into 2 groups but then they have to remain together as a those groups.

sebsheep

Must be the presence of the camera crew because it's not something I'd be doing on the beach.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don't think they're allowed to. Unless I'm mistaken they split the team into 2 groups but then they have to remain together as a those groups.
I know a candidate from a much older series and he confirmed that was the case, due to only 2 crews following each team.

He also confirmed that there were numerous other restrictions set out in dossiers’ (that the viewers couldn’t see - especially when it came to design tasks), that they couldn’t enter any business premise unless the owners consented to being filmed by the TV cameras (a real problem on the Scavenger hunt task when often teams found places with items but couldn’t actually buy them due to owners refusing filming permission), that the tasks were back to back instead of once a week (though I think that was pretty well known a while back) etc.

Throw in the big time constraints (especially evident in the advertising tasks), early starts and late finishes, fact that everyone in the team clearly has to primarily look out for themselves and their own interests, the editing (when a 2-3 day task is shown in 30 minutes it’s easy to make almost anyone look like an idiot), and it’s definitely much harder than it looks on TV. Then again, the candidates who signed up after first or first couple of series (certainly those signing up for recent series) should be well aware of all of that.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I hate the obvious editing of the later series. They'll want to make someone look a cnut so they'll film them saying something then splice in a reaction shot taken at clearly an entirely different time with different lighting, background noise levels and everything else.

For a successful show the editing is fecking atrocious.

Everything Sugar says in boardroom is heavily scripted now it would sound more believable and less stilted if they just had fecking Alexa read it.

I still enjoy the show but it's close to unwatchable now it's so overly produced
"So Matt, I've heard you a bit of a difficult person to get on with. You say you're a great salesman but you've sold 1 ice cream *insert silly unfunny joke*, Johnny over there sold 27!. Jenny, you wanted to be the PM and this was the result *insert silly unfunny joke*. You're clearly not up to the job and for that reason I'm struggling. *points to person he hasn't mentioned once so far* Paul you're fired"

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I remember laughing when Sugar insisted his lines weren’t scripted, when it’s blatantly clearly were. He also comes across a huge tw*t by insisting that people call him by his daft Lord title, while also insisting that he hates schmoozers and suck-ups. The fact that he calls himself ‘Lord’ in his Twitter account, which he uses to often tweet like a petulant brat, engage in petty squabbles and sometimes make racist posts, is also pretty farcical.

Also often you get candidates who reach the interview stage, who don’t appear much on the final edit and so viewers think that they’ve ‘done nothing’ and escaped scrutiny. In reality they’ve
probably done a good job and they haven’t made colossal mistakes, so the production team haven’t deemed them worth of devoting much coverage to.

I used to be hooked on this show, but I think it went stale about 5 years ago.

hp88

The women are either thick as shit or really bad actors this year, Karen just saved them by asking to recalculate the ingredients there.