The Athletic “gutting” British newspapers

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I don’t think so. Maybe set a calendar reminder for next year. It’s just £1 per month, no £12 option, so I’m guessing they are relying on people not bother to turn it off.

It’s £1 a month...I listen to their podcasts too, which are free anyway, but it’s a huge amount of content for £1 a month. I don’t mind paying that at all.
Bargain for £1 - cheers for the link

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Signed up for the £1 a month but can't see myself keeping it even beyond a month. The journalists take themselves a bit too seriously. If you're going to devote yourself to long form journalism there's surely better things

kirk buttercup

I signed up . Have to say I have my moneys worth already I like that type of Journalism and plenty of Coverage of Football , Golf and American sports. I'm a big rugby fan too so it does fall down there as there is no coverage at all of Rugby but love it so far .

AsonUnique

The United writer isn't great. I like Ornstein's stuff and some of the analytics. In the US it's by far the best college sport outlet. But for Europe it's just ok. Probably won't renew when my year is up.

RedNed77

The United writer isn't great. I like Ornstein's stuff and some of the analytics. In the US it's by far the best college sport outlet. But for Europe it's just ok. Probably won't renew when my year is up.
There are a few United writers, Daniel Taylor is very good, Andy Mitten ok, Carl Anka not so much.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I don't have a subscription, but often laugh at the articles being shared on twitter. Seems like there are so many articles of past, completely forgotten about players that no one really cares about, going deep into their life and their 'story'. And the tweets from the athletic try to paint up their story as something more than bog-standard.

jackal&hyde

I like them a lot but i've just seen how much it costs to resubscribe and i've instantly canceled. If i can find some sort of deal for a new subscription i will love it but for the full price..no way.

AsonUnique

There are a few United writers, Daniel Taylor is very good, Andy Mitten ok, Carl Anka not so much.
Anka didn't write on United last season, I think he covered Southampton. I was referencing Whitwell, I think he is the main United writer. Agree Taylor is solid.

RedNed77

I don't have a subscription, but often laugh at the articles being shared on twitter. Seems like there are so many articles of past, completely forgotten about players that no one really cares about, going deep into their life and their 'story'. And the tweets from the athletic try to paint up their story as something more than bog-standard.
The Premier League 60 series they did was very good and brought back some good memories. Also had a really good piece on Ravel Morrison yesterday that was something different to just calling him a feckless gangster wannabe bellend.

Dave_MUFC

I feel they'll be one of those types that will just continuously have offers, and if not, people will just wait out until there is one. Still, if that garners enough interest, it's still a sustainable business plan.

I feel a lot of people just look for United/PL articles, so it doesn't seem quite as good, but for me, I love reading about all the major leagues, historical players and teams down the years etc. So I love the website. Also recruited some journalists I was quite big fans of before, like Horncastle, Cox etc.

Only request would be if they could put articles into text-only format for Kindle compatibility, as I don't really like reading long articles/stories on computer screens.

Jev

Picked up the offer, thanks for the share. Is it worth downloading their app or are they very mobile browser first?

jackal&hyde

Anka didn't write on United last season, I think he covered Southampton. I was referencing Whitwell, I think he is the main United writer. Agree Taylor is solid.
Anka is a disaster for me. Doesn't matter what he writes about his point is always Ole question mark and look how good Pep is (always ignoring how much money and how many players he has changed, on a team that were champions already). A short time ago he had an article how United does not need a good transfer window and new players they need better medical facilities and magic coaching (presumably of Lingard to be turned in to KDB and Pereira in to Ronaldo). I enjoy articles with different points of view but this guy is just hopeless.

The funny thing is that these opinions of his he only does them in writing (what we pay for), during the podcasts where there are other people he stays silent.

RedNed77

Whitwell is patchy. I don't mind his articles, but wouldn't pay much attention to him for transfer stuff. And Anka is on United duties now, he's not the best.

GuyfromAustria

I'd happily pay a tenner per month for a print version of this, but I barely have an interest on reading it on a screen for free.

jackal&hyde

Whitwell is patchy. I don't mind his articles, but wouldn't pay much attention to him for transfer stuff. And Anka is on United duties now, he's not the best.
I am a big fan of Whitwell but i admit the standard is very low for United content. He is one of the few that actually uses the platform to inform and create rather then spew his opinions tabloid style.

K Stand Knut

The Premier League 60 series they did was very good and brought back some good memories. Also had a really good piece on Ravel Morrison yesterday that was something different to just calling him a feckless gangster wannabe bellend.
Ive just read the Morrison article. Really enjoyed it. Nice different take on him although hasn’t necessarily changed my opinion

georgipep

Ive just read the Morrison article. Really enjoyed it. Nice different take on him although hasn’t necessarily changed my opinion
I read that one and, to be honest, the stories about him were super contradicting the narrative that the article was trying to push. There was supposed to be another side to him, that he hasn't wasted his talent with childish/wanna-be-gangsta stupidity, but all evidence was pointing exactly towards that.

jackal&hyde

Recently Anka had this long article about our new kit (the rubbish one) how it goes back to the past etc. On the Podcast they all gave their opinion and Whitwell basically pissed on all the bs Anka just wrote; obviously without knowing what Anka was about to write :lol: :lol:

RedNed77

It’s still frustrating, I’d have killed to have the talent that he had and the outrageous opportunities he had, rather than my beige life. But people built like he apparently is don’t see it the same way.

Dan_F

I like them a lot but i've just seen how much it costs to resubscribe and i've instantly canceled. If i can find some sort of deal for a new subscription i will love it but for the full price..no way.
There’s a deal for £1 per month I posted yesterday.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Just read that piece about Ravel. Excellent stuff.

K Stand Knut

I read that one and, to be honest, the stories about him were super contradicting the narrative that the article was trying to push. There was supposed to be another side to him, that he hasn't wasted his talent with childish/wanna-be-gangsta stupidity, but all evidence was pointing exactly towards that.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. The stories were just interjected With quotes from people saying how nice he was.

I’ve dealt with his family who described him as a t**t

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Picked up the offer, thanks for the share. Is it worth downloading their app or are they very mobile browser first?
Would go for the app mate - works quite well for me and if you're subscribed you can get all their podcasts there free of ads. The interface is pretty decent imo as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Recently Anka had this long article about our new kit (the rubbish one) how it goes back to the past etc. On the Podcast they all gave their opinion and Whitwell basically pissed on all the bs Anka just wrote; obviously without knowing what Anka was about to write :lol: :lol:
Anka is a disaster for me. Doesn't matter what he writes about his point is always Ole question mark and look how good Pep is (always ignoring how much money and how many players he has changed, on a team that were champions already). A short time ago he had an article how United does not need a good transfer window and new players they need better medical facilities and magic coaching (presumably of Lingard to be turned in to KDB and Pereira in to Ronaldo). I enjoy articles with different points of view but this guy is just hopeless.

The funny thing is that these opinions of his he only does them in writing (what we pay for), during the podcasts where there are other people he stays silent.
Anka is absolutely terrible. Genuinely shocked Athletic employed him. His perspective his shite and his opinions are just weird + broadly incorrect. There's nothing good about him on any united related talk, and whats worse, he has an annoying tone when he speaks on the podcast. He is to me what Fabrizio Romano is to @Nou_Camp99 :lol:

Barry Red

Nobody is paying to read a football website.

Have these people not heard of Youtube?

Some random dude pays £4, then aggregates all the bullshit together in one 10 minute video and viola, your website is down the shitter inside a year.
Spot on, Ducklegs. And prosecution under copyright legislation would be neatly avoided by uttering a few words of criticism, there being a 'fair use' provision for critical and educational analysis. And let's be realistic, it's fair to say that a lot if the shite that these people write us open to criticism.

Tiber

Currently have a black Friday offer, £1 a month for 12 months, can cancel anytime. If you ever fancied trying the Athletic this might be a good way to do so.

I previously had a free trial for 3 months, quite liked it (especially Mitten's podcast) but didn't want to pay 7 quid per month. Decent value for a pound though

Needham

Currently have a black Friday offer, £1 a month for 12 months, can cancel anytime. If you ever fancied trying the Athletic this might be a good way to do so.

I previously had a free trial for 3 months, quite liked it (especially Mitten's podcast) but didn't want to pay 7 quid per month. Decent value for a pound though
Go halves?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This amount of discounting at such an early stage in their lifecycle suggests they're probably not financially viable, or at least their initial commercial model was deeply misguided.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This amount of discounting at such an early stage in their lifecycle suggests they're probably not financially viable, or at least their initial commercial model was deeply misguided.
Don't think the pandemic has helped either, people are looking to trim the fat, and £7 a month direct debit is certainly fat that needs trimming.

Nero

First they were offering £1 for a month, then £1 a month for 6 months, now £1 a month for 12 months.

Must be getting seriously desparate.

pablo__p

Their podcasts are class.
Totally Football Show and Football Clichés are both excellent.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Their podcasts are class.
Totally Football Show and Football Clichés are both excellent.
Both quality. Although, Totally existed before The Athletic - became part of The Athletic over the summer.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just got charged for auto-renewal with no email warning before or after being charged. A bit shady.