The Athletic “gutting” British newspapers

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Pogue Mahone, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Aug 13, 2019

Pronewbie Peep

Currently leaning towards a cancellation. Lack of United-related pre and post-match content made me visit other football sites with some providing even more insightful content (possibly due to the competition). Not every article needs to be deeply insightful; timeliness is also important.
  2. Aug 13, 2019

Nick7 Full Member

Great. As I mentioned, I enjoy the pieces. I just want more. Suppose that's a good problem to have at the start I guess.
  3. Aug 13, 2019

roseguy64 Full Member

Just subscribed for the free trial. Seen a few articles that have piqued my interest.
  4. Aug 13, 2019

Needham Full Member

What's to stop you copy and pasting all of them to my email address?
  5. Aug 13, 2019

roseguy64 Full Member

Laziness
  6. Aug 13, 2019

The Boy Full Member

Supports:
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    I agree, I enjoy the articles and think they’re well written and insightful, but lack of post match coverage is an issue and maybe even a bit of pre match speculation about line ups etc. When Brighton win 3-0 I need as much coverage as I can get to make the most of these rare happy moments in football.
  7. Aug 14, 2019

BluesJr Full Member

Way too slow with the content.
  8. Aug 16, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

When “some personal news” turns out to actually be some personal news. Replies restore a bit of faith in the cesspool that is football twitter.
  9. Aug 16, 2019

rotherham_red Full Member

Fair play, that's a very brave thing to do.
  10. Aug 16, 2019

Tiber Full Member

I was never tempted by the US version which has many quality journalists. Despite this supposed 'gutting' the UK offering looks pretty weak to me, atleast on the surface.

Would be different if it was 2 quid per month rather than 9.99. Dont think i even pay that much for Netflix
  11. Aug 16, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

I'd never heard of the United journalist they bagged.
  12. Aug 16, 2019

RedFish Full Member

MMA's journo line up is stellar
  13. Aug 16, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I fail to see why ANYONE would spend a tenner a month of mostly opinion or fabricated BS.
  14. Aug 16, 2019

esmufc07 Won the Grand National Sweepstake once Scout

It's OK, I've enjoyed some or the articles, but there's a lack of United content and I don't think it's worth the price.
  15. Aug 16, 2019

cyberman Full Member

The UK press have long been laughed at for bias, twisting facts etc.
    Having them all in one publication simply means they're easier to ignore.
  16. Aug 16, 2019

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

Agreed. Will cancel before the trial ends.
  17. Aug 16, 2019

Thisistheone Full Member

Agree with this. Wanted to read about Sundays big win but nothing.
  18. Aug 16, 2019

Tiber Full Member

Think he was one of the Mail's lower profile writers
  19. Aug 16, 2019

KeanoMagicHat New Member

As far as I can see Daniel Taylor, Ornstein and some of the better known writers haven't actually started yet, probably have long enough notice periods on their jobs. When they get started I imagine it will kick off. But I agree that there's not enough coverage around the actual matches. Enjoy long-form stuff but you still need a bit of the bread and butter football reporting.
  20. Aug 16, 2019

Nico87 Full Member

Is anyone on here a member and if so would you recommend it?. After seeing how salty that Neil Custis is when ever a journalist mentions joining, I’m intrigued that it might actually be decent.
  21. Aug 16, 2019

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

The writing is broadly good, and they have some interesting in-depth articles. But it's not so unique that it justifies the subscription price, for me, and there's probably not quite enough content either.

Decent product, but it will need to grow significantly to make me give it another try.
  22. Aug 16, 2019

Jonno Full Member

I paid £30 for the year, just because I'm sick of reading clickbate headlines and spam-ads all over pages.

I must say, the articles are great. Lengthy, in-depth and worth reading. It's not really match reports and updates, they have anecdotes from 10-20 years ago which are quite gripping to read.

They also have weekly Q&A sessions with each clubs reporters, so Laurie Whitwell just hosted one and he replies to pretty much all the questions including mine about potential outgoing transfers.

There's also podcasts and they're about to launch a forum.

I must say for the measly £2.50 per month it comes to, i'm on it for 30-60 mins per day whilst at work.

EDIT - Also, forgot to mention I read quite a candid piece written entirely by Rafa Benitez on his time at Newcastle, not just journo's writing about "a source", they literally have the source writing for them.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  23. Aug 16, 2019

Joe297 New Member

Perhaps they are trying to get away from speculation and most likely that is what the subscribers are trying to get away from as well. They want well informed articles rather than speculative articles based on hear say. I mean it doesn't hurt to provide some pre match info providing details on who is available who is a doubt, previous meetings, current forms, player milestones etc.
  24. Aug 16, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Just signed up, they've got a weekly AMA on United, seems they know they're the biggest pull for keeping people on the platform. One journo talked about Fernandes and United's transfer list in the window just gone, interesting stuff.

Some good articles and good reads, just finished reading one on Eric Steele during his United stint. Talks about De Gea and what it was like under Fergie, goes on to say Fergie would call Tony Blair or Gordon Brown if he got stuck doing the Times crossword puzzle on the train down to London for away games, while giving the staff shit for not knowing the answers.

Anyway, if anyone fancies it, here's a free 30 day trial and 40% off the overall subscription. Just so you know, if you do use this code it will also net me £25 worth of Amazon vouchers.

https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=raf40&plan_id=45&shared_by_name=Daniel&shared_by=2655440
  25. Aug 16, 2019

roseguy64 Full Member

Not been able to read anything since the first two days I signed up but see some Patriots and Braves articles that are interesting. Looks like I'll be keeping it if I like those. Helps having US sports teams to root for while the football coverage launches.
  26. Aug 16, 2019

adamwest Full Member

How’s the mobile app / site ?
  27. Aug 16, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

The mobile app is really good. The website is also good but it seems they're expecting most of their users to be handheld device users.
  28. Aug 16, 2019

Dan_F Full Member

The stuff I’ve read has been pretty good, but it’s not a huge amount of content yet for football. I’ll probably keep it on for the year while it’s £30 just to see how it develops, I’m assuming there will be more frequent content (as someone else said) once the rest of the journo’s start. Hopefully they add some football podcasts too.
  29. Aug 16, 2019

MsNuno Full Member

Supports:
    Wolves
    The mobile apps good. Signed up for the trial will probably pay as mostly the articles are interesting and no ads is a plus.
  30. Aug 16, 2019

jem Full Member

A lovely story and yes, the replies in the comments thread go some way towards restoring my faith in humanity. Keep up the great work Nicky!
  31. Aug 17, 2019

MaxiPaxi Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

I’ll subscribe to it next summer when there is much more content.
  32. Aug 17, 2019

Haddock Full Member

Used to subscribe to the Blizzard. Let's be honest. Football writing is a bit crap. Anyone here follow cricket? Then you should know Gideon Haigh. Now there is a GREAT sportswriter. Someone capable of first rate prose (On Warne) and first rate data and research (The Cricket War)

Once you get past the hyperbole of Wilson and pointy arrows Cox there's very little substance there. Fact remains that the best sports articles/books I have read are by Novelists and/or outsiders (see Done Deal by a scouse solicitor named Daniel Geey)
  33. Aug 17, 2019

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Yeah I'm thinking I'll subscribe later
  34. Aug 21, 2019

Dave_MUFC New Member

Not sure about the lack of content comments, as the articles are so in-depth and lengthy that I struggle to get through more than a couple of articles in a day (Granted, I use it for a bit of work lunchtime reading).

Seems to be around 10-15 articles put up per day, which is far more than I can get through anyway. The length and depth is much more than any general sports sites, so I'm very happy with it.

Although, as others have said, don't think it would be worth the full whack £60 a year.
  35. Aug 21, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Depends if you want to read in depth about other clubs I guess. In most cases I don't.
  36. Aug 21, 2019

Varun1 New Member

r/reddevils sometimes posts full extracts taken from The Athletic.
  37. Aug 21, 2019

ArmandTamzarian Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    They should keep it at the £30 per year price point. That seems pretty decent from what I've gotten out of it so far.
  38. Aug 21, 2019

Dave_MUFC New Member

Makes sense in that case. I love reading up about any football regardless, hence I've got loads of editions of The Blizzard books and various other football books, that I read while at home. Hoping they'll add Italian and Spanish articles in the future.

Agreed, although I think they'll lose loads of subs after the year if they try and stick to £60, so they'll probably have a continuous 'offer'.
  39. Aug 21, 2019

Wolf there last night New Member

Supports:
    Wolves
    This. I heard about it, signed up for the trial, and yes they can probably have my £30 for the year.

If you like consuming your wider football information via ‘fans react’ videos, match reports in the Sun with a reading age of low primary school, or the various, horrendous click bait ad-laden sites and online versions of newspapers, then it’s probably not for you.

If you enjoy the Times’ game on a Monday, or broadsheet Sunday supplement rambling editorial rants, then you might like it.
  40. Aug 23, 2019

Mighty Boosh Full Member

What's the best offer going at the moment for a yearly sub, £30? Or anything better out there?