The Athletic ~ Inside United's 6-1 fallout: Half-time rows, Solskjaer backed, transfer regrets

GiddyUp

I just hated the Phelan coaching era under SAF
We certainly don't look like a well oiled machine under Phelan that's for sure. This club need to modernize, we seem to be up to scratch with the academy and youth scouting but the 1st team is shockingly poor. We should be out there poaching the best coaches in the world not transitioning ex players like Giggs and Carrick.
Nicky Butt is doing a great job though.
I keep saying the future is bright but the same mistakes are being made over and over.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We certainly don't look like a well oiled machine under Phelan that's for sure. This club need to modernize, we seem to be up to scratch with the academy and youth scouting but the 1st team is shockingly poor. We should be out there poaching the best coaches in the world not transitioning ex players like Giggs and Carrick.

I keep saying the future is bright but the same mistakes are being made over and over.
So it's OK then as long as they're delivering and it works? Works fine for Bayern Munich....

All about how good they are not whether they're old boys

R77

I just hated the Phelan coaching era under SAF
I saw a Rio interview that went a short way towards explaining this, at least the latter part, and also one of the big reasons Moyes failed hard. Think it was maybe one of the Oxford lectures.

tl:dr; The Zombie football was more or less intentional. A lot of the key players were getting on, so they adapted to a slower game where they could use their experience and nous to get results. They were good enough to get away with it after all. Moyes arrives and insists on trying a faster paced game, ignoring or not realising that many of them just weren't up to it.

Seeing as it (Zombie Football!) was a bit of a meme on here, I remember being surprised it wasn't noted on the caf at all.

Handré1990

I saw a Rio interview that went a short way towards explaining this, at least the latter part, and also one of the big reasons Moyes failed hard. Think it was maybe one of the Oxford lectures.

tl:dr; The Zombie football was more or less intentional. A lot of the key players were getting on, so they adapted to a slower game where they could use their experience and nous to get results. They were good enough to get away with it after all. Moyes arrives and insists on trying a faster paced game, ignoring or not realising that many of them just weren't up to it.

Seeing as it (Zombie Football!) was a bit of a meme on here, I remember being surprised it wasn't noted on the caf at all.
That’s very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

roseguy64

Oh sorry. I meant people making a fuss about what does Phelan do as a coach. Because they were in love with Muelensteen.

roseguy64

Oh, nice fun fact. Thanks.

Revaulx

Oh sorry. I meant people making a fuss about what does Phelan do as a coach. Because they were in love with Muelensteen.
I wasn’t aware Phelan did a lot as a coach; my understanding was that he had more of an HR role - one that he was very well respected in.

Dominos

Do you have link to the interview please?

If accurate then it's actually quite frustrating that we chose to have an aging squad that couldn't play the way we ideally wanted to. Ferguson spoke about closing the gap on Barca after 2009 and yet it's no wonder we just fell further and further behind in the following years. Most fans on here lauded having "experienced heads" in the team and many convinced themselves that Scholes and Giggs were still the best midfielders in the league at aged 38 but in reality you should be looking to build a team of players in their prime.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is it practical to bring back Carlos Queiroz? :D
Only worked with a settled CB pairing in their prime with VDS behind them and a great midfield. Didn’t work that well in 2002/03, 2004/05, 2005/06 or 2006/07, Queiroz was at the club in all those seasons as well.
He was a great No 2 but the way he set us up against Barca has made him some kind of coaching guru totally ignoring our CL failings in the previous seasons with him as assistant.
Anyway I believe he was here all the years because he had a great relationship with SAF AND because he had ambitions to take over after his retirement.

R77

If accurate then it's actually quite frustrating that we chose to have an aging squad that couldn't play the way we ideally wanted to. Ferguson spoke about closing the gap on Barca after 2009 and yet it's no wonder we just fell further and further behind in the following years. Most fans on here lauded having "experienced heads" in the team and many convinced themselves that Scholes and Giggs were still the best midfielders in the league at aged 38 but in reality you should be looking to build a team of players in their prime.
Fairly sure it was one of the Oxford Union Q&As. If you search 'Rio Ferdinand Oxford Union' or suchlike, it should be easy to find. There's also Van der Sar, Van Nistelrooy, and various other footballers and managers on there btw. They're a good watch.

Greck

Fergie snubbing the Hazard deal over that 4m in agent fee may have set us back 10 years, probably even worse than Moyes being is successor.

tombombadil

Only worked with a settled CB pairing in their prime with VDS behind them and a great midfield. Didn’t work that well in 2002/03, 2004/05, 2005/06 or 2006/07, Queiroz was at the club in all those seasons as well.
He was a great No 2 but the way he set us up against Barca has made him some kind of coaching guru totally ignoring our CL failings in the previous seasons with him as assistant.
Anyway I believe he was here all the years because he had a great relationship with SAF AND because he had ambitions to take over after his retirement.
The smiley indicates I was being facetious ... ;)

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The smiley indicates I was being facetious ... ;)
I know, still Queiroz has been mentioned on this forum regularly including recently getting a lot of credit for our CL successes, so this time I decided to make a comment on our CL failures with him as well :)
But in a hypothetical scenario if he was interested to join now for a few months or until the end of the season to bring in some defensive structure I wouldn’t be against it at all. But right now there wouldn’t even be any motivation on his side to join us.

Revaulx

Is it practical to bring back Carlos Queiroz? :D
Wouldn't say no
I would.

We really really need to get away from the idea that we can somehow replicate what worked years ago in completely different circumstances. It never comes off. Which is why I was against appointing Ole from the start; even as interim.

Super City managed it for a while by reuniting the Barcelona dream team of Pep, Taxi* and the other chap. But even that looks like it isn’t going to last.

* this might not be the correct spelling, but it’s what I think of when the see his name in print.

tombombadil

I know, still Queiroz has been mentioned on this forum regularly including recently getting a lot of credit for our CL successes, so this time I decided to make a comment on our CL failures with him as well :)
But in a hypothetical scenario if he was interested to join now for a few months or until the end of the season to bring in some defensive structure I wouldn’t be against it at all. But right now there wouldn’t even be any motivation on his side to join us.
Yeah, unless we throw silly money at him I doubt he would bother to join.

tombombadil

I would.

We really really need to get away from the idea that we can somehow replicate what worked years ago in completely different circumstances. It never comes off. Which is why I was against appointing Ole from the start; even as interim.

Super City managed it for a while by reuniting the Barcelona dream team of Pep, Taxi* and the other chap. But even that looks like it isn’t going to last.

* this might not be the correct spelling, but it’s what I think of when the see his name in print.
I don't really care if it is replicating or not. I only care if it is working or not. So, I guess only time will tell.

Mindhunter

Just realized the coincidence of us being 1 and them being 6 on the PL table. Who would have thought about that after the game?

BFernandes

Why anyone would bump this thread 3 days before going to Liverpool is beyond me. We're going there top, but it's asking for trouble.

Giggsy13

This was a result that showed how toxic our supporters can be at times. It was a horrible result but common sense arguments such as, our squad failing to have a proper pre-season were ignored. A lot of selective arguments and positions from those who had a clear agenda against Ole. Hopefully the toxic shitehouses in our fanbase will be quiet for awhile.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
To be fair, if there was ever a time when a bit of venting is acceptable it would be losing 6-1 at home to a Jose side

SER19

This was a result that showed how toxic our supporters can be at times. It was a horrible result but common sense arguments such as, our squad failing to have a proper pre-season were ignored. A lot of selective arguments and positions from those who had a clear agenda against Ole. Hopefully the toxic shitehouses in our fanbase will be quiet for awhile.
Showed how strong Solskjaer is too. Lesser managers would have collapsed or 'lost the dressing room'

cyberman

To be fair, if there was ever a time when a bit of venting is acceptable it would be losing 6-1 at home to a Jose side
People were venting over getting 3rd last season as well though. Not high enough points total any other year etc.
I thought the club would have to apologise at one point.