The Athletic to be acquired by The New York Times Company in Q1 2022

lex talionis

fair enough, not criticizing at all. One of my points is that in the UK it’s very hard to actually get it at full price. It’s ridiculously cheap with the promotions and when I went to renew it they gave me another promotion.

So I’ll have had it two years before I get the chance to pay full price and have got to notice I’m not massively into it. I would probably move on if it came to full price because Telegraph Football (only) is 20 quid a year and, though not as big, I probably get as much decent stuff there over a week.

I’ve also got a bit bored of The Athletic banging on about Covid/Vaccines all the time (not that I’m an anti-vaxxer). That’s been going on long enough now to not really feel like renewing. Glad you enjoy it though, I can see why people do.
If I only supported United The Athletic wouldn’t be worth it. But as I’m a massive LA Dodgers fan — I grew up in LA — a devour their content. Cheers!

Tragically Hip

I think you need to separate the writer from the administrator/publisher. He butted heads multiple times with ESPN executives but was always protected by John Skipper (ESPN CEO at the time). That ended when he went after Goddell and the NFL. Right or wrong (and I think he was right) he has been told that the NFL was off limits for criticism. He was unable to toe that line and it, and other things, led to his contract not being renewed and then the death of Grantland.
I agree with all that. I thought you meant his ego killed the quality of Grantland.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I agree with all that. I thought you meant his ego killed the quality of Grantland.
In his role as a writer I really enjoyed his stuff, especially the early Page 2 stuff. I remember getting so excited when I saw a new BS article (especially the draft diaries and trade value columns) pop up on Page 2. Good old days for sure.