The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How would you propose that they do this?

Hypothetically, you’re American, what would you be doing to change the broken two party system and improve the situation?
Is the two party system really the problem?
A lot of Dems also don't want to do anything meaningful on guns because it's just not a big issue for their voters.
One set of voters cares about the issue of guns a lot more than the other set.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If the overwhelming majority wants gun reform laws then they do non stop protesting and they don’t let up until the politicians that are gun lobbyists are out. Make it completely toxic not to want gun reform and don’t stop until it’s done. Don’t let them have a minutes’ peace, protest in every city and every town.

Or more extreme and ultimately more likely to effect change, civil war. When Americans see full scale bloodshed on their doorstep it might actually wake him up, as it is they comfortable with what they’ve got.
So unless Joe Public devotes their life to civil unrest and pushes for civil war to overthrow the political establishment then feck them they don’t deserve any sympathy for being killed in the tens of thousands every year?

That’s a pretty staggering attitude.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Is the two party system really the problem?
A lot of Dems also don't want to do anything meaningful on guns because it's just not a big issue for their voters.
One set of voters cares about the issue of guns a lot more than the other set.
The two party system is fundamentally to blame for most of America’s problems.

So long as people are derided for considering third party candidates and political party allegiances are treated like sports teams then nothing will change.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

So long as people are derided for considering third party candidates and political party allegiances are treated like sports teams then nothing will change.
I mean the problem specific to guns.
Most want changes but the people that do are not single issue voters and gun violence happens to be somewhere down the list.
The people who love guns are often single issue voters. That detail will reflect in the parties no matter how may parties there are.
I think the apathy is the problem. Campaigners have to find a way of keeping gun reform the front and center of voters minds for longer and carry that momentum to the ballot box.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
So unless Joe Public devotes their life to civil unrest and pushes for civil war to overthrow the political establishment then feck them they don’t deserve any sympathy for being killed in the tens of thousands every year?

How else do you propose change? Cause that’s what it’ll take.

Otherwise they’re all complicit in the system that keeps this a normality in America.

If you don’t do something toeffect change then you’re not doing enough and not doing enough leads to more shootings.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I remember how big this story was. Honestly, if that had happened today, it'd probably have less impact due to how many mass shootings we've seen already. Which in itself is just crazy all around.
It was the biggest ever lone shooter event at the time. Then it was eclipsed by Pulse. Then by Vegas.

It would be well below the fold today.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I remember how big this story was. Honestly, if that had happened today, it'd probably have less impact due to how many mass shootings we've seen already. Which in itself is just crazy all around.
Can barely recall any details yet I remember lots about Hungerford because it was pretty much the last on its kind.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Can barely recall any details yet I remember lots about Hungerford because it was pretty much the last on its kind.
It’s a bit of an outlier in that 33 people were killed by a handgun alone, no assault rifle was used like so many others similar to last night.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

:lol:
Don't you just love how we get judged for not doing "enough" ?
I guess I have to apologize for for prioritizing paying my bills and feeding my kids.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
How else do you propose change? Cause that’s what it’ll take.

Otherwise they’re all complicit in the system that keeps this a normality in America.

If you don’t do something toeffect change then you’re not doing enough and not doing enough leads to more shootings.
A critical mass event is needed to counteract another critical mass event?

Not saying you are necessarily wrong, but what a scenario.

There’s an argument to be made that a critical mass event occurred last summer in response to the critical mass event of violent policing. Unfortunately nothing seemed to have changed.

We worry about negative feed back loops in the climate emergency crisis. We are already in negative feedback loops in the violent policing crisis & the gun epidemic crisis. And it seems an intractable Gordian knot.

USREDEVIL

It's absolutely like sports teams. And if you're not 100% "united" then you're not a "real" blah blah. It's stupid. I am conservative but i vote based on the issue, not on the party. The main thing in my mind that causes this is the media. They need to be die hard so that they can create fighting because that's what is most compelling and what generates clicks/views, etc.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
A critical mass event is needed to counteract another critical mass event?

Not saying you are necessarily wrong, but what a scenario.

There’s an argument to be made that a critical mass event occurred last summer in response to the critical mass event of violent policing. Unfortunately nothing seemed to have changed.

We worry about negative feed back loops in the climate emergency crisis. We are already in negative feedback loops in the violent policing crisis & the gun epidemic crisis. And it seems an intractable Gordian knot.
I should've qualified the statemetn that I wasn't for it exactly because it's not good, I just don't see much else doing anything.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I should've qualified the statemetn that I wasn't for it exactly because it's not good, I just don't see much else doing anything.
Don’t take my post as a shot across your bow. It just struck me as containing some validity & indicative of the challenge we have.

It did a bit smack of apportioning more blame on the laypeople of this country than it should when the mechanisms for change are somewhat limited to us when public will can’t even motivate politicians to get the balls to institute change. The picnic will for gun reform was sky high after Sandy Hook, yet nothing meaningful was accomplished.

We’ve probably been in the negative feedback loop for the past 30 years. Time will tell if the degradation of the NRA will help or will similar hydra grow from its corpse that will just assume the lunacy.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's absolutely like sports teams. And if you're not 100% "united" then you're not a "real" blah blah. It's stupid. I am conservative but i vote based on the issue, not on the party. The main thing in my mind that causes this is the media. They need to be die hard so that they can create fighting because that's what is most compelling and what generates clicks/views, etc.
And, not to pick a fight here, it’s the vastly larger conservative media entity that does exactly what you are saying, spinning the narrative & feeding into the unfounded fears of the gun humpers through debunked slippery slope arguments & ammosexual fever nightmares of gun confiscation.

The massively larger numbers of conservative websites are much to blame here, Facecuck as well.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Meh, this won’t even be categorized as a mass shooting.

It will be as inconsequential as a gang shooting.

Should we combine the two threads currently ongoing right now?

Carolina Red

Staff
BURKE COUNTY, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – A masked man, who was shot by his grandfather after breaking into his Burke County home and demanding money, has died in the hospital.

Jessie DeWayne Gibson, 34, passed away on Tuesday evening, April 20, at Carolinas Medical Center.

Gibson was shot multiple times by his grandfather, George Gibson Sr., 76, after Gibson forcibly entered his grandfather’s home on 38th Street NW in Hickory and tried to steal money.

(Dunno if this local news link works overseas, but...)
https://www.wspa.com/news/state-new...-UDuhpmHqLqTJCpwD5-vLi6LGsYLo206UyukI6zg1TBSc

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
BURKE COUNTY, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – A masked man, who was shot by his grandfather after breaking into his Burke County home and demanding money, has died in the hospital.

Jessie DeWayne Gibson, 34, passed away on Tuesday evening, April 20, at Carolinas Medical Center.

Gibson was shot multiple times by his grandfather, George Gibson Sr., 76, after Gibson forcibly entered his grandfather’s home on 38th Street NW in Hickory and tried to steal money.

(Dunno if this local news link works overseas, but...)
https://www.wspa.com/news/state-new...-UDuhpmHqLqTJCpwD5-vLi6LGsYLo206UyukI6zg1TBSc
I'll take moronic ways to die for 200, Alex.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I just feel bad for the grandpa. Imagine realizing the guy who was just breaking into your house that you just shot is your grandson. Damn :(
Not just that, but if he had not run away he probably would still be alive since it sounds like he bled out, so it's a double blow.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I just feel bad for the grandpa. Imagine realizing the guy who was just breaking into your house that you just shot is your grandson. Damn :(
It's absolutely awful for him, no doubt. Which I think is part of the stupidity of the grandson's actions.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is about 20 minutes from me and the Manager that died is from my home country Guyana. He has 7 kids. I know his brother. He owns a local West Indian restaurant we go to all the time. I was watching it on the news and I recognized him.
Damn. One of those cases where "it's a small world" loses its charm and becomes sad and all too real.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Damn. One of those cases where "it's a small world" loses its charm and becomes sad and all too real.
It's scary and then you start to think that maybe one day it's going to be someone even closer to you. When stuff like this happen I call my kids right away. It's full blown hysteria for a good few minutes until I can confirm that they're okay.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's scary and then you start to think that maybe one day it's going to be someone even closer to you. When stuff like this happen I call my kids right away. It's full blown hysteria for a good few minutes until I can confirm that they're okay.
I agree. When the mass shooing at the mall outside of Milwaukee happened last Nov we could not get ahold of my wife's cousin for a few hours. She is a nurse whose shift ended right before the shooting and would sometimes stop at the mall on her way home. It was absolute nerve racking until we finally got in touch.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Amazing that this guy apparently didn’t have any log in security on his iPhone. How would they have been able to identify the user of the phone if they weren’t able to get into it? A screen shot?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You cant change gun laws in America. Even if you have 3 or 4 or even 58 parties.

The why is simple. Those that wants guns are majorities. Or at least large enough to resist.

Majorities of UK dont want guns, or at the very least can accept that guns needs to be regulated, only the very small minorities will resist. And they're too few it wont matter.

With US half the population (no data, just rational observation) loved their guns. No parties gop or dnc would want to push for an impossible cause and losing voters.

Put it this way, dems and gop are 50-50 split, now how many DNC voters own guns? Being a democrat doesnt mean you'll agree with abolishing the 2nd.

It's never gonna work.