The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Texas along with a few other states should form their own country. They're staining the entire nation with all their hateful bias behaviour. Everything gets lumped under "America" or "Americans" and trust me when I say not all Americans are biased hateful racist pricks.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Texas along with a few other states should form their own country. They're staining the entire nation with all their hateful bias behaviour. Everything gets lumped under "America" or "Americans" and trust me when I say not all Americans are biased hateful racist pricks.
It's not just Texas though is it? Loads of flyover States with similar issues.

Edit: sorry just saw you mentioned a few other states already. But that would chop the country in half, no?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'm pretty sure Texas would go it alone if it had the choice!

America is almost 2 different countries as it is now, Blue states and Red states, given the entrenchment on both sides it's hard to see how anything is ever going to change

Dr. StrangeHate

Champ never shot a gun before in his life…

Comments in that thread have scared the hell out of me. I know statistically I am very unlikely to be killed by a firearm while on holiday in the US but it does scare me into not ever visiting the US.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Comments in that thread have scared the hell out of me. I know statistically I am very unlikely to be killed by a firearm while on holiday in the US but it does scare me into not ever visiting the US.
I've visited cities such as Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Phoenix, San Francisco, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, St Louis and Tampa and lived in an open carry state for more than 10 years and aside from cops, I've never seen a gun in public - don't let it stop you!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Edit: sorry just saw you mentioned a few other states already. But that would chop the country in half, no?
The country needs to be parceled out into five or six sections.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I've visited cities such as Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Phoenix, San Francisco, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, St Louis and Tampa and lived in an open carry state for more than 10 years and aside from cops, I've never seen a gun in public - don't let it stop you!
This. I have lived in AL/WI/NC for going on 20 years and I can only think of one time I saw someone who was not identifiably an LEO carrying a gun. Now, that was in a gas station Subway in middle of nowhere Mississippi, so it's not terribly representative of the rest of the country, but dude was still packing. Hilariously, Mr. Jonh Hick had 2 pistols in low slung holsters, and another tucked in his back waistband. I could have pulled it out and shot him before he could even touch his holstered pistols. Idiot.

Zlatattack

To be fair though - most of those states are bigger than most smaller european countries.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
To be fair though - most of those states are bigger than any European country.
Also, a majority of those states would struggle to support themselves if they went it alone, or even as a group. Some of them just don't have the population (Wyoming, Montana, the Dakota's) others the economy (Kentucky, Idaho) to survive without Federal assistance.

Zlatattack

Also, a majority of those states would struggle to support themselves if they went it alone, or even as a group. Some of them just don't have the population (Wyoming, Montana, the Dakota's) others the economy (Kentucky, Idaho) to survive without Federal assistance.
Yeah, i think it'd be a shame. I'm not a great fan of the USA and it's foreign policy, but i've always been pro bringing people together and having less borders rather than more.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah, i think it'd be a shame. I'm not a great fan of the USA and it's foreign policy, but i've always been pro bringing people together and having less borders rather than more.
I am also not a great fan of my country's foreign policy/wars/interference, but you really don't have a choice over where you are born. Hopefully we are just at the end of a manic fever dream, and it will reside, but, unfortunately, I think we are in the midst of a long-term nightmare.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Blue West
California, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada

Blue East
New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Massachussets, New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland

Illinois and New Jersey are kind cut-off

Rest are Red Center mass

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Blue West
California, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada

Blue East
New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Massachussets, New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland

Illinois and New Jersey are kind cut-off

Rest are Red Center mass
Some oversights there bud: Virginia, NC? Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Some oversights there bud: Virginia? NC? Wisconsin? Minnessotta? Michigan?
Virginia is still really a red state, and any state that elects Ron Johnson is a red state!

NC is still red, Minnesota and Michigan maybe but Arizona and Nevada are mostly red

Gotta have a little of each in the blocs :D

Edit; was also trying to keep them co-joined but I guess with Alaska there's no need

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Virginia is still really a red state, and any state that elects Ron Johnson is a red state!

NC is still red, Minnesota and Michigan maybe but Arizona and Nevada are mostly red

Gotta have a little of each in the blocs :D

Edit; was also trying to keep them co-joined but I guess with Alaska there's no need
RJ is literally the only statewide rep in the state, and he barely eeked it out. Add on a northern blue belt (MN,WI,MI,IL) and it could work. VA will switch back and NC may tip over into deep purple/blue in the coming years.

In any case, it will not happen, at least not without a whole lot of violence, so lets hope people just wake up and get woke. :)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
RJ is literally the only statewide rep in the state, and he barely eeked it out. Add on a northern blue belt (MN,WI,MI,IL) and it could work. VA will switch back and NC may tip over into deep purple/blue in the coming years.

In any case, it will not happen, at least not without a whole lot of violence, so lets hope people just wake up and get woke. :)
Woke - most people have no idea what that means, and TBH I'm one of them!

Trouble is I live in a red state and will be moving to another one, I either can't afford to live in a blue state or they're too cold in winter :annoyed:

Zlatattack

I am also not a great fan of my country's foreign policy/wars/interference, but you really don't have a choice over where you are born. Hopefully we are just at the end of a manic fever dream, and it will reside, but, unfortunately, I think we are in the midst of a long-term nightmare.
Good luck. People like us don't have any control over those who take the shots - we just survive their stupid decision...lol

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Woke - most people have no idea what that means, and TBH I'm one of them!

Trouble is I live in a red state and will be moving to another one, I either can't afford to live in a blue state or they're too cold in winter :annoyed:
That's the fun part, woke can mean anything you want it to as long as it fit's your agenda! I have always interpreted it to means having empathy and recognition of the plight of others and an interest in helping reduce it. I think this tracks because all of those concepts are anathema to conservatism, hence why they use woke as a pejorative.

edit: On the second point, I hear yah! Grew up in Los Angeles and told my parents when I left for grad school I was never moving back as I wanted to own a house before I turned 50. Come on over to NC and help us turn it purple!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That's the fun part, woke can mean anything you want it to as long as it fit's your agenda! I have always interpreted it to means having empathy and recognition of the plight of others and an interest in helping reduce it. I think this tracks because all of those concepts are anathema to conservatism, hence why they use woke as a pejorative.

edit: On the second point, I hear yah! Grew up in Los Angeles and told my parents when I left for grad school I was never moving back as I wanted to own a house before I turned 50. Come on over to NC and help us turn it purple!
I'm not a citizen so can't vote, SC, and it's barely over the GA border, is where my wife's family lives, that's why we're moving, mind you some of them are die hard Trumpist's so I'll work from within :devil: Ironically the oldest sister is definitely a Democrat and she does live in NC!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
"Carnal knowledge of a juvenile" is a truly absurd naming convention.
Louisiana is an odd place. I wonder if the naming convention is due to state laws being based on French law as opposed to English common law. Might be a translation thing. Or it might just be LA being LA.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I agree with this and generally for a visitor there’s more chances of dying on the journey. Way more.

I share your experience but unfortunately I’ve had the rare experience of seeing a gun at the wrong place and wrong time while on vacation and it really put me off so I do understand.

But yeah especially with where most tourists go they don’t have much to fear

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Texas is just as polarized if not more than America with red and blue pockets

RedDevil@84

Ok. Not a serious thing like gun killings, but wtf Newark

https://nypost.com/2023/03/15/newark-duped-in-sister-city-scam-by-nonexistent-hindu-nation-kailasa/

It’s a textbook case of an overseas scam — except the victim was an American city.

Officials in Newark, New Jersey, were initially thrilled to partner with the Hindu nation of the United States of Kailasa.

The only problem? The country doesn’t exist.

After hosting “delegates” from the made-up country at a formal ceremony in January, City Hall has admitted that the whole thing was a scam led by notorious Indian fugitive Swami Nithyananda.

Newark officials said the agreement only lasted for six days and was rendered “baseless and void,” adding that no money was exchanged in the ceremony.

“Although this was a regrettable incident, the city of Newark remains committed to partnering with people from diverse cultures in order to enrich each other with connectivity, support, and mutual respect,” a city spokesperson said.

The sister city program was established after World War II to promote cultural and commercial ties between two municipalities around the world.

Newark is New Jersey’s largest city.

Newark officials partnered with the Hindu nation of the United States of Kailasa. But six days after signing the agreement, the nation appeared to be nonexistent.YouTube / , TAPinto Newark
During the signing ceremony on Jan. 12, Newark Mayor Ras Baraka told the fake delegates: “I pray that our relationship helps us to understand cultural, social, and political development and improves the lives of everybody in both places.”

But there’s no improvement coming for the fictitious residents of Kailasa, and Newark residents only feel embarrassed that their leaders fell for a scam that could’ve been avoided through a simple Google search.

“No one in City Hall, not one person did a Google search, so maybe we need a transformation of City Hall because not one person said, ‘Let me go and Google and figure out this was a fake city,'” resident Shakee Merritt told CBS.

The fake delegation was the brainchild of notorious Indian fugitive Swami Nithyananda, an infamous scam artist.
A Google Maps search of Kailasa only reveals a slew of temples in the southern half of India, and even a meditation center in Connecticut — but no city or nation.

The first thing that pops up on Google, however, is a link to a website promoting the fake nation as an “ancient enlightened civilization, the great cosmic borderless Hindu nation.”

It also touts Nithyananda as “The Reviver,” claiming he is worshiped by more than 20 million people in 196 countries around the world.

In reality, Nithyananda is an infamous scam artist who claims to have supernatural powers and has been on the run from rape and child abduction charges since 2019, according to reports from the New Indian Express.

The con man was also the subject of the 2022 Discovery + series “My Daughter Joined a Cult.”

Along with promoting Nithyananda’s alleged achievements and those of his “nation,” the Kaisala website offers visitors e-citizenship through a QR code.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Ok. Not a serious thing like gun killings, but wtf Newark

https://nypost.com/2023/03/15/newark-duped-in-sister-city-scam-by-nonexistent-hindu-nation-kailasa/

It’s a textbook case of an overseas scam — except the victim was an American city.

Officials in Newark, New Jersey, were initially thrilled to partner with the Hindu nation of the United States of Kailasa.

The only problem? The country doesn’t exist.

After hosting “delegates” from the made-up country at a formal ceremony in January, City Hall has admitted that the whole thing was a scam led by notorious Indian fugitive Swami Nithyananda.

Newark officials said the agreement only lasted for six days and was rendered “baseless and void,” adding that no money was exchanged in the ceremony.

“Although this was a regrettable incident, the city of Newark remains committed to partnering with people from diverse cultures in order to enrich each other with connectivity, support, and mutual respect,” a city spokesperson said.

The sister city program was established after World War II to promote cultural and commercial ties between two municipalities around the world.

Newark is New Jersey’s largest city.

Newark officials partnered with the Hindu nation of the United States of Kailasa. But six days after signing the agreement, the nation appeared to be nonexistent.YouTube / , TAPinto Newark
During the signing ceremony on Jan. 12, Newark Mayor Ras Baraka told the fake delegates: “I pray that our relationship helps us to understand cultural, social, and political development and improves the lives of everybody in both places.”

But there’s no improvement coming for the fictitious residents of Kailasa, and Newark residents only feel embarrassed that their leaders fell for a scam that could’ve been avoided through a simple Google search.

“No one in City Hall, not one person did a Google search, so maybe we need a transformation of City Hall because not one person said, ‘Let me go and Google and figure out this was a fake city,'” resident Shakee Merritt told CBS.

The fake delegation was the brainchild of notorious Indian fugitive Swami Nithyananda, an infamous scam artist.
A Google Maps search of Kailasa only reveals a slew of temples in the southern half of India, and even a meditation center in Connecticut — but no city or nation.

The first thing that pops up on Google, however, is a link to a website promoting the fake nation as an “ancient enlightened civilization, the great cosmic borderless Hindu nation.”

It also touts Nithyananda as “The Reviver,” claiming he is worshiped by more than 20 million people in 196 countries around the world.

In reality, Nithyananda is an infamous scam artist who claims to have supernatural powers and has been on the run from rape and child abduction charges since 2019, according to reports from the New Indian Express.

The con man was also the subject of the 2022 Discovery + series “My Daughter Joined a Cult.”

Along with promoting Nithyananda’s alleged achievements and those of his “nation,” the Kaisala website offers visitors e-citizenship through a QR code.
I wonder if the Nigerian prince's have relocated

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The City hall official is called Ras Baraka and a resident is called Shakee Merritt (shaky merit)? I could probably Google these names but I refuse to believe this article is not an early April fools joke.