Film The Batman

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It really is great, must be among my most rewatched films. That one guy who cheers at the end gets me every time.
Yeah, you have to have a heart of flint to not be moved by the film. I introduced my daughter to this film a few months back and it is now one of her favourites.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Worse than that, he was constantly told by everyone around him how to solve the clues and that the riddler did them.

People seemed to like it because it brough back the "detective" element. It didn't at all, in fact it made him look like a Watson if anything. Then, he needed super hero serum to survive. Kind of seemed like a non-batman film if anything.
Pretty much all the Batman films since Nolan set the “gritty” template have seen him basically lose, with the villains often achieving most of their goals before Batman gets a small Pyrrhic victory at the end…. In this one, he managed to save a couple of people from a flooded arena (which was flooded after he failed to stop a bombing in time) after the whole City had been basically fecked. Yay, Batman!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Is there any Batman film where he doesn’t look like a tool and does actual detective work(Which in reality would be going around knocking on doors and then doing some coke afterwards)

I do sort of think the issue is with the Batman character in general. The guy just sucks(Adam West aside) and it’s no mistake that he is always less interesting than the villains(At least in the films).
This thread is the way to fix that…

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Is there any Batman film where he doesn’t look like a tool and does actual detective work(Which in reality would be going around knocking on doors and then doing some coke afterwards)

I do sort of think the issue is with the Batman character in general. The guy just sucks(Adam West aside) and it’s no mistake that he is always less interesting than the villains(At least in the films).
I like the Keaton ones. Haven't seen them for a long time but I think they aged quite well and I don't think he looked like a tool there.

Well, they obviously felt like they had to include those detective parts but those where plain ridiculous imho.

Sweet Square

This thread is the way to fix that…

Cheers that’s a great thread.

Yeah I remember in the Dark Knight, the film as a positive says outright that the one thing Batman has over everyone else is that he doesn’t respect international law, so he is able to kidnapped the banker hiding in Hong Kong. And his gadgets are just the NSA (TDK really is the perfect Obama era film). The simply fix of changing is Joe Chill is an interesting idea. Basically turning Batman into a fighting George Soros character! Granted I would personally hate it but at least it solves the problem.

Although imo we almost had the answer with The Dark Knight Rises. Two films worth of building up Batman as this reactionary surveillance state protector figure(Which most of the audience agree with and didn't even really notice) and then in the last film, this gets flip and good guys are shown to be liars(They've locked up thousands of people for years without any chance of parol) but in the end Nolan chickened out. It might have tanked his career(But maybe stopped every superhero film that followed) but he should have killed the Batman., have Bane win(Minus the random lets nuke everything for no reason)and the let the prisoners run free, cut to end credits. The audience would have felt cheated but feck them, they shouldn't have invested some much of their time in a insane billionaire who dresses like a Bat.

I like the Keaton ones. Haven't seen them for a long time but I think they aged quite well and I don't think he looked like a tool there.

Well, they obviously felt like they had to include those detective parts but those where plain ridiculous imho.
Yeah watch the second one not long ago and it was ton of fun, although poor Keanton couldn’t looks sideways. Still imo he is out done in both films by the villains but agree that Keanton films work better as actually Batman films than the newer stuff.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah watch the second one not long ago and it was ton of fun, although poor Keanton couldn’t looks sideways. Still imo he is out done in both films by the villains but agree that Keanton films work better as actually Batman films than the newer stuff.
Sure, he's outdone but I wouldn't consider this a negative per se. Jack and Danny were both great. Michelle Pfeiffer and especially Kim Basinger in the first played all great characters with a lot of soul - something I miss mostly nowadays. It was a great cast and Keaton stood his ground.

cyberman

Love the way he’s gets stuck on two riddles for 75 percent of the movie so then spends his time guessing between three crime bosses only to get lucky with bringing one of them into the light.
Classic Batman

decorativeed

It really is great, must be among my most rewatched films. That one guy who cheers at the end gets me every time.
It's been on my watch list for about 15 years now, and I only got around to watching it 2 weeks ago. Really enjoyed it.

I also thought Dano was fantastic as Brian Wilson in Love and Mercy. When it switched to 80s Brian played by John Cussack it was so jarring. An odd choice

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I also thought Dano was fantastic as Brian Wilson in Love and Mercy. When it switched to 80s Brian played by John Cussack it was so jarring. An odd choice
Good call. That was a good film, went under the radar somewhat but it was an interesting biopic, different to the usual paint by numbers exercise these films tend to be. The studio sequences when he's recording Pet Sounds were particularly inspired.

He was good in 12 Years a slave too. He's a great actor.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Worse than that, he was constantly told by everyone around him how to solve the clues and that the riddler did them.

People seemed to like it because it brough back the "detective" element. It didn't at all, in fact it made him look like a Watson if anything. Then, he needed super hero serum to survive. Kind of seemed like a non-batman film if anything.
I didn't get what the Batman had achieved at the end. Basically riddler just went around doing whatever the feck he wanted all film and then it ended. Batman just spent his time visiting crime scenes and getting angry at people because he couldn't figure out what was going on. Then sometimes someone would seemingly get bored and literally tell him a vital piece of information. At one point Alfred did this.

Is that how detectiving works? You just go around to everyone saying "come on guys tell me whats going on give me a hand", and then eventually it turns out your personal butler who's been trying to solve the case with you, could have just told you at any point?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Cool, love stop motion.
Did it a few times in my youth. Pretty satisfying when it plays out.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Isn't the sequel supposed to be out next year? Hasn't even been any new casting yet. Looking forward to more emo Batman, but I hope he's dumped the squirrel suit.