Film The Batman

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So is this the current Affleck batman from the DC films, or a prequel batman to the Affleck batman, or an entirely new batman, in which case what happens to the batman from the DC films since they are still making Wonder Woman films, etc? Or is it somehow none of those things?

This is what happens when there are too many batmans. It starts to not matter anymore. Its like that scene in the Bale one with all the copycats except that they're all the real batman.

When are we going to get a Batmans vs Spidermans film? Or even a Batman vs Batman vs Batman vs Batman film?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So is this the current Affleck batman from the DC films, or a prequel batman to the Affleck batman, or an entirely new batman, in which case what happens to the batman from the DC films since they are still making Wonder Woman films, etc? Or is it somehow none of those things?

This is what happens when there are too many batmans. It starts to not matter anymore. Its like that scene in the Bale one with all the copycats except that they're all the real batman.

When are we going to get a Batmans vs Spidermans film? Or even a Batman vs Batman vs Batman vs Batman film?
Maybe don't watch comic movies

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

This is what happens when there are too many batmans. It starts to not matter anymore.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

As the title suggests, this is the Batman not a Batman.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Maybe don't watch comic movies
Look, it needs to either be the same batman or a different batman, and if its the same batman, then he's suddenly much younger and has silly hair, and if its a different batman, then we have two batman's going on at once, which means in theory everyone is batman, which defeats the point of a batman. He's just a try too hard Agent Smith.

You don't see Marvel having four Thors going about. They just have one guy who plays Thor. The same for all their characters...well except Spiderman...but at least all the spiderman's exist in different universes, or something.

hungrywing

Pattison’s Bruce Wayne makes him look like a emo band boy reject instead of a billionaire playboy.
Bugged me too until I realized that disguise might work just as well as the billionaire playboy one.

It's a multiple universes/timelines thing.

Look, it needs to either be the same batman or a different batman, and if its the same batman, then he's suddenly much younger and has silly hair, and if its a different batman, then we have two batman's going on at once, which means in theory everyone is batman, which defeats the point of a batman. He's just a try too hard Agent Smith.

You don't see Marvel having four Thors going about. They just have one guy who plays Thor. The same for all their characters...well except Spiderman...but at least all the spiderman's exist in different universes, or something.
Uh oh.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

I’m Batman

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Comic book movies tend to be rubbish either way though. So I'd rather watch another batman film given there have actually been great Batman films in the past than yet another backstory movie of a new superhero called forfecksakeman or one more rag tag group of misfit superheroes who as you'd expect bring their usual talent to the fore - comedy.

Plus this has a Nirvana song so count me in.

Ben Affleck = Action Adventure Batman

Rob Patterson = (Hopefully) Noir Batman focus on the plot, like the movie Seven but with man who dresses up as bat investigating

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

This is why I say maybe dont watch comic films. What Marvel are doing is not the same as what DC are doing. Especially with Batman, where its the most "real" script of them all and open to intepretation the most. Whether its portraying Bruce as a lonely, dark and mentally disturbed man or as a flawless character forever with rational judgement covering as a billionaire playboy.

Batman has never been portrayed by a single director as a consistent character. Adam West was a borderline comedian batman in 1960s. Burtons take was far far more dark (this franchise was my favourite). The 1990s take was a string of puns and best forgotten. Nolans Dark Knight obviously had its own approach, and Tim Millers take a look thats closer to the Burton approach.

There isn't a right or wrong way so long as it is done well. They aren't trying to be like Marvel with this movie. I do not think there is any intent to throw Aquaman in this world for example, and nor should there be.

Last edited:

hungrywing

If you're going to spoil something from an entirely different film, might I suggest making that obvious?

Didn't mind seeing spoilers for the batman, I do mind see spoilers for that.
Sorry if following protocol and hiding it within a spoiler tag plus the "seriously, don't look" plus not finding a way to get into the DeLorean to warn you in particular even though the post was a reply to someone else plus then triply egregiously not using the DeLorean - which at which point one now clearly had access to - to go into the future, obtain full mastery of genetics, then not going back to use said technology to give you enough self-control when you were born wasn't enough warning/precaution.

I am very sorry that it happened, though. I don't like blatant/"inadvertent"/'derp-derp-everyone-on-the-interwebz-knows-it-anyway-chill-man-bro' spoilers and hence the 'seriously, don't look.'

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

I agree, even though I’m quite looking forward to this film. There should now be a decision made on which Batman to continue, having two active Batman’s is ridiculous.

I’m saying that as a Batman fan too. Grew up with Adam West, loved the illustrations in the dark knight comics even if I wasn’t a comic fan, loved Tim Burtons vision and think the Chris Nolan films were brill.

There needs to be a break in between the constant reimaginings at the very least.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sorry if following protocol and hiding it within a spoiler tag plus the "seriously, don't look" plus not finding a way to get into the DeLorean to warn you in particular even though the post was a reply to someone else plus then triply egregiously not using the DeLorean - which at which point one now clearly had access to - to go into the future, obtain full mastery of genetics, then not going back to use said technology to give you enough self-control when you were born wasn't enough warning/precaution.

I am very sorry that it happened, though. I don't like blatant/"inadvertent"/'derp-derp-everyone-on-the-interwebz-knows-it-anyway-chill-man-bro' spoilers and hence the 'seriously, don't look.'
Notice how giving a spoiler a title gives people prior warning about what could be spoiled?

Dumbledore dies.

Notice how you had no idea whatsoever that there would be a Harry Potter spoiler in here and not having “CONTAINS HARRY POTTER SPOILERS” means that you only know once it’s been spoiled?

hungrywing

Notice how giving a spoiler a title gives people prior warning about what could be spoiled?

Dumbledore dies.

Notice how you had no idea whatsoever that there would be a Harry Potter spoiler in here and not having “CONTAINS HARRY POTTER SPOILERS” means that you only know once it’s been spoiled?
Notice the part where the movie in question was bolded in noodlehair's post in order to give one an idea that the spoiler was about that franchise so clearly the person you're replying to was sensitive to that possibility?

If you meant to say "'should have said 'Thor spoilers inside'" then I agree and again apologize to SalfordRed18.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This is why I say maybe dont watch comic films. What Marvel are doing is not the same as what DC are doing. Especially with Batman, where its the most "real" script of them all and open to intepretation the most. Whether its portraying Bruce as a lonely, dark and mentally disturbed man or as a flawless character forever with rational judgement covering as a billionaire playboy.

Batman has never been portrayed by a single director as a consistent character. Adam West was a borderline comedian batman in 1960s. Burtons take was far far more dark (this franchise was my favourite). The 1990s take was a string of puns and best forgotten. Nolans Dark Knight obviously had its own approach, and Tim Millers take a look thats closer to the Burton approach.

There isn't a right or wrong way so long as it is done well. They aren't trying to be like Marvel with this movie. I do not think there is any intent to throw Aquaman in this world for example, and nor should there be.
What if they do? What if it turns out Aquaman is also Batman?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Notice the part where the movie in question was bolded in noodlehair's post in order to give one an idea that the spoiler was about that franchise so clearly the person you're replying to was sensitive to that possibility?

If you meant to say "'should have said 'Thor spoilers inside'" then I agree and again apologize to SalfordRed18.
The point is, just title your spoiler, it’s not difficult. The bolded quote was also hidden behind a “show more”.

hungrywing

The point is, just title your spoiler, it’s not difficult. The bolded quote was also hidden behind a “show more”.
Hmm. That's something I didn't think of (noodlehair's post is short enough that no part of it is hidden behind a 'show more' on my screen). Thought the bolding would be enough to not require an explicitly titled spoiler, and judging from your reply here, I think you might agree at least on that. I'll definitely take the above bolded - consider that people might not read the entire post beyond a 'show more' - part into account going forward. Thank you.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

We've had three Jokers who have been portrayed very differently and all interesting in their own way. Much more so than all the other superheroes who have ONE mediocre portrayal. So I don't really understand your concern. I'd rather watch a genuinely good film with a new portrayal than a mediocre one with the same one. Thor was more interesting and intriguing in mere tid bits in God of War than 5 Marvel films put together.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
We've had three Jokers who have been portrayed very differently and all interesting in their own way.
Two of which (Phoenix and Leto) both appeared in films around the same time, which nobody gave much of a feck about as Leto's Joker was so forgettable and Phoenix's was so good. Looks like it'll be the same situ here with RP and Batfleck.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Two of which (Phoenix and Leto) both appeared in films around the same time, which nobody gave much of a feck about as Leto's Joker was so forgettable and Phoenix's was so good. Looks like it'll be the same situ here with RP and Batfleck.
Debatable.

kps88

Can't believe we're getting this but not a sequel to Lego Batman.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We've had three Jokers who have been portrayed very differently and all interesting in their own way. Much more so than all the other superheroes who have ONE mediocre portrayal. So I don't really understand your concern. I'd rather watch a genuinely good film with a new portrayal than a mediocre one with the same one. Thor was more interesting and intriguing in mere tid bits in God of War than 5 Marvel films put together.
To be fair Jared's joker portrayal was only interesting in the "hmm, interesting that they didn't burn all evidence of this footage before it made it out if the film studio" kind of way.

The problem with being THE Batman is that there are other current Batmans, and with Batmans being Batmans I suspect they aren't happy with that.

I mean there are many James Bonds, and they are all different, but there were never two James Bonds at the same time. If there were it would be very problematic. For example You Only Live Twice would have had to be called You Only Live Twice Twice.

I do agree most of the marvel characters are quite dull. It's the weak point of the whole marvel film franchise for me. They only have about 5 interesting character portrayals and they've killed most of them off. DC though has no consistency or coherency and it doesn't help when they keep basically remaking the same films

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I mean there are many James Bonds, and they are all different, but there were never two James Bonds at the same time. If there were it would be very problematic. For example You Only Live Twice would have had to be called You Only Live Twice Twice.
This is blatant Never Say Never Again erasure!…. Which, is fine tbh

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think affleck is the best wayne while bale is the best batman. If that makes sense
Affleck barely showed anything about Bruce Wayne.

Just for his looks alone, Clooney is the best Bruce Wayne because you can believe he's a billionaire playboy unlike the rest who're pretty much just playing any random rich man.

Sylar

Affleck really plays the playboy part better, Bale's too moody for Bruce Wayne. He does make a better Batman I'd say

But it could have turn out to be a grand acting, since maybe he's trying to convey how Bruce wayne is more attracted to live as Batman and never as Wayne.
I don't remember much of Affleck as Wayne except his speech about even if there's 1℅ chance Superman is evil, he must be stopped
But then abandoned that
Affleck as Batman in the costume was memorable

I thought bale was better as Bruce

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
To be fair Jared's joker portrayal was only interesting in the "hmm, interesting that they didn't burn all evidence of this footage before it made it out if the film studio" kind of way.

The problem with being THE Batman is that there are other current Batmans, and with Batmans being Batmans I suspect they aren't happy with that.

I do agree most of the marvel characters are quite dull. It's the weak point of the whole marvel film franchise for me. They only have about 5 interesting character portrayals and they've killed most of them off. DC though has no consistency or coherency and it doesn't help when they keep basically remaking the same films
It’s an “Elseworld” alternate universe thing. Think they’ve made it clear that Pattinson’s Batman does not exist in the same universe as Batfleck; just like Phoenix’s Joker exists in his own independent universe. Personally I welcome it. DC doesn’t have a super successful interconnected universe of films, so I’m glad of any individual quality films they put out.

Affleck really plays the playboy part better, Bale's too moody for Bruce Wayne. He does make a better Batman I'd say

But it could have turn out to be a grand acting, since maybe he's trying to convey how Bruce wayne is more attracted to live as Batman and never as Wayne.
Thats the whole point of the playboy part of Bruce Wayne, it’s all an act and not really him and is more like his disguise. He’s only really comfortable and himself as Batman doing Batman things.