Television The Bear

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Surprised there isn't a thread on this show yet. Outstanding show. Just watched episode 7 and I am just awed by how good it was.

wr8_utd

:'(
Wonderful show and good to see Jeremy Allen White with a great leading role after all that time on Shameless.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Just finished watching this today. I thought it was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. I loved how fast paced and frenetic it was, but how it always found the time to focus even a few seconds on a little moment of glory or disillusion of one of its characters (like Tina succeeding at making the mash potatoes, and just softly smiling away over her pans). It had lots of heart for such a loud, yelly type of show, and the use of music was absolutely spot on. There is not a single bad performance, and the chemistry between all the characters is perfect.

The end might have been a bit too much of a deus ex machina (which was surprising for a show so rooted in realism), but you'd also have to say they'd done about as much as they could of Carmy being beaten up at every other corner, and it required something like this to set it up nicely for the next season.

Along with Severance and Under the banner of heaven (that I'm slowly getting through), some of the best new TV I've watched this year, and I can't wait for the next season.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Surprised there isn't a thread on this show yet. Outstanding show. Just watched episode 7 and I am just awed by how good it was.
Yeah it's a shame. 4 posts on this and 42 pages of people arguing over Jeff Bezos' latest turn out. A shame but not surprising.

Discovered this the other day and am already 6 episodes in. I'll echo the post above me, it's just a wonderful show with heart, humour and a cast universally at the top of their game who play off each other superbly. Highly recommended.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
What's it about?
A young chef from the fine dining world comes home to Chicago to run his family sandwich shop after a heartbreaking death in his family. A world away from what he's used to, Carmy must balance the soul-crushing realities of small business ownership, his strong-willed and recalcitrant kitchen staff and his strained familial relationships, all while grappling with the impact of his brother's suicide. As Carmy fights to transform both the shop and himself, he works alongside a rough-around-the-edges kitchen crew that ultimately reveals itself as his chosen family.
Dunno what recalcitrant means. You'll have to Google that yourself.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just finished this. Was good. Not sure where they’ll go with the second season but I’ll wait and see.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yeah I reckon the sandwich bar has to evolve into a restaurant now which will bring plenty of conflict. I suspect Richie is going to struggle to adapt.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I thought Sydney was a great character. Very grounded and relatable, and holding her own whilst still having vulnerabilities. She just feels very real.

Also pleased there was no pointless romance angle anywhere that most shows tend to shoehorn in.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Christmas episode (6) is insanely tense and has amazing cameos. I'm through 8 episodes and have been impressed with every episode. I really enjoy the characters' arcs and growth, particularly Richie. The music is wonderful, and, as a Duke guy, all the Coach K references are a great Chicago tie-in. Now if only we can get an episode centered on Fak next season...

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Such a great show. Maybe the best now that succession is done. What they do with the characters is superb
Even the supporting characters feel fully developed real people. Really impressed after season 2.

The Christmas episode (6) is insanely tense and has amazing cameos. I'm through 8 episodes and have been impressed with every episode. I really enjoy the characters' arcs and growth, particularly Richie. The music is wonderful, and, as a Duke guy, all the Coach K references are a great Chicago tie-in. Now if only we can get an episode centered on Fak next season...

Yeah that Christmas episode was phenomenal. Really amazing cameos

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Had to take a break during the Christmas episode - I don't have anxiety issues but I could feel the claustrophobia through the screen. Just outstanding tv.

wr8_utd

:'(
Wait what? Didn't realise it was out already. Cheers for the heads up.
Yup its out and based on the comments here so far as well as the reviews I've seen so far, it looks like they've managed to improve upon the first season, which is phenomenal!

Red_Aaron

Just watched the fishes (Xmas episode)
Wow - absolutely fantastic tv, it won't get the love of Succession or TLOU or other big budget fare but that as a standalone was as good as anything I've seen this year. Script, Acting, Direction, Camera work all first class.
I love this show

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Been contemplating to start watching this for the past 2-3 months but after reading these reviews i think i am definitely going to start watching this with the missus tonight.

edcunited1878

I binged watched the last 6 episodes last night of Season 2....fecking hell, that was top top top notch.

Can't help but think about Anthony Bourdain while watching some of these episodes and flashbacks the characters have. Working in the fine dining industry is chaotic and a complete mess too many times, but it's a hell of a drug.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Been contemplating to start watching this for the past 2-3 months but after reading these reviews i think i am definitely going to start watching this with the missus tonight.
It's an extraordinary show, the best new thing on TV in 2022 with Severance.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I'm only three episodes into Season 2 but there's something so engrossing about this show.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I watched four or five episodes then dropped it, not consciously but I just didn't want to go back for more. One of those where I can tell it's good at what it's doing and it's admired by people whose opinion I respect but I don't find myself invested in the story and I was irritated by characters I was meant to find endearing.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Started series two last night and nailed 5 episodes.

It's amazing I think, hugely emotional, funny, stressful, complete love letter to food and restaurant work. Unreal music and the cast are all bang on.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's an extraordinary show, the best new thing on TV in 2022 with Severance.
Thanks bud. The missus and I started last night and also couldn’t stop until way past our bedtime. Ended up stopping at episode 6. Great show. Will continue and finish season 1 later. It helps that the episodes are quite short but yeah, couldn’t stop watching :drool:

Severance was another one I’ve been contemplating watching. I’ll give that a bash after I’ve caught up with this one.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Thanks bud. The missus and I started last night and also couldn’t stop until way past our bedtime. Ended up stopping at episode 6. Great show. Will continue and finish season 1 later. It helps that the episodes are quite short but yeah, couldn’t stop watching :drool:

Severance was another one I’ve been contemplating watching. I’ll give that a bash after I’ve caught up with this one.
Episode 7, iirc, is absolutely insane.

Severance is very different, much slower and mysterious, but excellent all the same.

Lastwolf

I watched four or five episodes then dropped it, not consciously but I just didn't want to go back for more. One of those where I can tell it's good at what it's doing and it's admired by people whose opinion I respect but I don't find myself invested in the story and I was irritated by characters I was meant to find endearing.
You are meant to be irriated by them, the show is about the chaos, your tension watching is to mirror the characters building tension in the scenes.

Like I think epsiode 7 is the one with the ticket printer in the soundtrack and everyone running around screaming feck at intervals, but when there is a some cartharsis like his speech at the AA meeting you feel the relief. It's an amazing show but uhh I get how it's not an enjoyable watch sometimes

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
You are meant to be irriated by them, the show is about the chaos, your tension watching is to mirror the characters building tension in the scenes.

Like I think epsiode 7 is the one with the ticket printer in the soundtrack and everyone running around screaming feck at intervals, but when there is a some cartharsis like his speech at the AA meeting you feel the relief. It's an amazing show but uhh I get how it's not an enjoyable watch sometimes
I wasn't tense, I was just irritated :lol:. I loved something like Uncut Gems, which was a bunch of unlikeable pricks shouting at 100 mile per hour at each other, but that gripped me in a way The Bear didn't, I'm not even sure why.

It's no problem, it just wasn't for me but I'm intrigued to read what other people liked about it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

Episode 7 is a banger.