Television The Bear

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Love it. Best show this year for me.

jem

Yeah, that bothered me too. Anyone with the most basic grasp of cooking won’t feck up a dish to the grasping at throat/spitting it out stage, never mind a professional chef. At worst they’ll be thinking they got the balance of spicing/seasoning wrong or the flavour combinations don’t work. Literally gagging on a dish they’ve just cooked is so weird and over the top. And then it happens multiple times…

That’s been a general theme of the show to me. Someone said earlier how real it seems. I think the opposite. They actually lay everything on so thick it’s almost a bit much. A lot of the comedy is bordering on slapstick and a lot of the emotional stuff is in your face, dialled up to 11. It still works though. Because the characters are great so you don’t mind suspending disbelief when it all gets a bit hammy (no pun intended)
Agreed, although I don’t think the character development is actually that great. Outside of Carmy, and Richie (to a lesser extent. - his face-turn was way too quick and facile), I don’t think the characters are that compelling (Marcus is ok, I guess).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Agreed, although I don’t think the character development is actually that great. Outside of Carmy, and Richie (to a lesser extent. - his face-turn was way too quick and facile), I don’t think the characters are that compelling (Marcus is ok, I guess).
I like Sydney a lot too. Although I shouldn’t discuss this much further as I’m still only 3 episodes into season 2!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Just finished season 2.

I really enjoyed the end of the last episode, starting from when Donna showed up and there was that piano music building up in the background. Gave a weird, ominous feeling. Then with REM playing at the end. Don't know why but the score of that last episode gave it a weird vibe. I felt for sure that Marcus was going to get shot or something when he went to sack the new starter that was taking Meth outside, but it didn't show anything else there.

Out of interest, what exactly is supposed to be up with Donna?

On a side note, it's sad seeing JLC looking so aged. She seems to look 10 years older every time i see her in something new.

Lastwolf

Just finished season 2.

I really enjoyed the end of the last episode, starting from when Donna showed up and there was that piano music building up in the background. Gave a weird, ominous feeling. Then with REM playing at the end. Don't know why but the score of that last episode gave it a weird vibe. I felt for sure that Marcus was going to get shot or something when he went to sack the new starter that was taking Meth outside, but it didn't show anything else there.

Out of interest, what exactly is supposed to be up with Donna?

On a side note, it's sad seeing JLC looking so aged. She seems to look 10 years older every time i see her in something new.
It's always dangerous to play armchair psychologist on fictional characters but she seems a bit bi-polar. But if you discard that, she's a damaged person with some toxic traits (possible drinking problem?) that she’s smart enough to recognise, but seemly unable to stop. The scene with her outside the restaurant is so tragic, to be unable to participate in her children's joy because she's certain, that she will inevitably try to torpedo it, it’s just brutal to watch. The fact that it's paired and juxtaposed with the human golden retriever that is Pete, brilliant.

They obviously aren't helping her out with the hair and make-up as a character choice, in those recent roles, but she's 64 and hasn't opted to go the human-cat hybrid plastic surgery route, so that should be applauded, I guess. But, that said, we all get hit with the age train at some point,

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think we're ok talking about the show with no spoilers guys, it's been out for a while! Agree on @Lastwolf's take on the scene with Donna and Pete, it's so beautifully poignant.

Also don't quite get why some people don't like Sydney, she's a great character.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think we're ok talking about the show with no spoilers guys, it's been out for a while! Agree on @Lastwolf's take on the scene with Donna and Pete, it's so beautifully poignant.

Also don't quite get why some people don't like Sydney, she's a great character.
Yeah I like Sydney too. Don't really get the hate.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I didn't mind her at all in the first season, she was quite a refreshing character tbh (minus the stabbiness). S2 they decided to double down on the aspects of her character which really grate me.

All in all, she's the glue that holds the show together in a way, but she can be reallllly annyong.

Lastwolf

I dunno, she kinda pissed me off at times, but then the show is kinda about these flawed humans growing together as a team.

I hated Ritchie the most tbh, but feck me he wears suits now, so you can't hate.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's great. As ever, some nitpicking dullards here who should post a lot less.
:lol: I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone on here so exquisitely sensitive about people with different opinions on light entertainment. Chill out. Not everyone will like everything you like and the life blood of this forum is differing opinions.

EDIT: Although I may be mixing you up with someone else…

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Stuck on episode 6 of the second season. So freaking annoying. Had to stop watching after 20 minutes.

Would I miss too much if I just skip the whole episode?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Stuck on episode 6 of the second season. So freaking annoying. Had to stop watching after 20 minutes.

What do you mean you’re stuck?

Nickosaur

That episode is a masterpiece. It's meant to be uncomfortable to watch.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
What do you mean you’re stuck?
It was 20 minutes of people screaming in a kitchen, plus Saul Goodman showing up for some reason. Couldn't take it anymore.

Watched the episode like 10 days ago and I can't find the strength to finish it.

That episode is a masterpiece. It's meant to be uncomfortable to watch.
Martyrs or À l'intérieur are an uncomfortable watch, but this is something else. It's freaking annoying.

Anyway, at some point they stop with the screaming? Plot wise, is a must watch?

Loved the show up until this point. (well, the new girlfriend is annoying as feck but can tolerate)

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I was a bit in between with that episode, felt like it was great acting but slightly annoying still. Why are people calling it a masterpiece?

It does give a bit of background which culminates in a scene near the end that felt quite powerful, which I mentioned in one of my previous posts.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, I was a bit in between on that episode too. Didn’t help that it had been sold to me as a masterpiece. I thought the final act, when they were all sitting down at the table, was great but a lot of the stuff leading up to that point was way too over the top. Jamie Lee Curtis chewing up all the furniture into tiny splinters was a bit fecking much. And most of the scenes with the two Fak brothers didn’t work either. I think @jem had the same issues with it and I agree having finally watched the episode.

I did love the dude who said grace though. He was the best thing about the whole episode.

Oh and Richie’s other half is one of the leads in one my favourite TV shows of the last several years. Love. Highly recommended.

buchansleftleg

I was a bit in between with that episode, felt like it was great acting but slightly annoying still. Why are people calling it a masterpiece?

It does give a bit of background which culminates in a scene near the end that felt quite powerful, which I mentioned in one of my previous posts.
I think you have to consider Episode 6 as a bit of an "unreliable narrative" in that it is portrayed as Natalie and Carmy's "memory" of the occasion rather than a straight narrative of what definitely happened. This means that some of the interactions are exaggerated as any memory of such a horrendous event would be over time. Hence Jamie Lee Curtis's acting is one of absolute extremes of emotion / Borderline Personality disorder.

Why do I think this? The scene at the dinner table has distorted ultra-close-ups of Uncle Lee and Michael's faces as their conflict escalates and as the final act happens, Michael becomes a distant voice and the camera focuses on Natalie and Carmy's faces, seemingly frozen in the moment of a horrible memory.

I could be totally wrong and is meant to be factual, but to me everyone's behaviour in the episode, including the Fak brothers wearing identical clothing and being very tweedledum / tweedledee is a little hyper-real.

I think it's an amazing episode and my wife and I now have a new "Scale" of how awkward a family/work event has been...."It went ok actually - only about a four fish level of awkwardness" or "My god that was awful....we got to six fishes and I had to leave before it went the full 7 fishes""

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think you have to consider Episode 6 as a bit of an "unreliable narrative" in that it is portrayed as Natalie and Carmy's "memory" of the occasion rather than a straight narrative of what definitely happened. This means that some of the interactions are exaggerated as any memory of such a horrendous event would be over time. Hence Jamie Lee Curtis's acting is one of absolute extremes of emotion / Borderline Personality disorder.

Why do I think this? The scene at the dinner table has distorted ultra-close-ups of Uncle Lee and Michael's faces as their conflict escalates and as the final act happens, Michael becomes a distant voice and the camera focuses on Natalie and Carmy's faces, seemingly frozen in the moment of a horrible memory.

I could be totally wrong and is meant to be factual, but to me everyone's behaviour in the episode, including the Fak brothers wearing identical clothing and being very tweedledum / tweedledee is a little hyper-real.

I think it's an amazing episode and my wife and I now have a new "Scale" of how awkward a family/work event has been...."It went ok actually - only about a four fish level of awkwardness" or "My god that was awful....we got to six fishes and I had to leave before it went the full 7 fishes""
Hmmm... That's a good theory. Makes a lot of sense.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Yeah this makes a lot of sense.

Bole Top

enjoyable to watch and forget about it. feels fairly basic in every other way for me to behave like many other watchers though. just feel everyone is trying too hard to be "troubled" and every character seem to be crumbling basically from the start.

Christmas episode and the one with Poulter were my favorite ones, with him and Mike being more likeable than any other character besides Richie. but I'm definitely watching later seasons, no doubt about that. If I had to rate it... 7.5.

LARulz

I just finished Season 2 episode 7 but have a question about episode 6 (Christmas flashback)

Episode 6 the Christmas one was mental. I loved it but it was a very tense and chaotic episode. Everybody killed it in the role. But who was that person sitting beside Uncle Lee and cousin Michelle (I think her name was) at the table?

But episode 7 my favourite episode of the show yet. I never thought I'd get invested in this show but I was actually happy for Richie as he was crushing the restaurant service game. I was glad they did the Tiff getting engaged thing early to show he just got stronger. Also not gonna lie, not a Taylor Swift fan but that whole scene of the pizza serving, him acing the taste test and singing in the car somehow worked with the song playing in the background was my favourite scene by far

Last edited:

Eric_the_Red99

I just finished Season 2 episode 7 but have a question about episode 6 (Christmas flashback)

Episode 6 the Christmas one was mental. I loved it but it was a very tense and chaotic episode. Everybody killed it in the role. But who was that person sitting beside Uncle Lee and cousin Michelle (I think her name was) at the table?

But episode 7 my favourite episode of the show yet. I never thought I'd get invested in this show but I was actually happy for Richie as he was crushing the restaurant service game. I was glad they did the Tiff getting engaged thing early to show he just got stronger. Also not gonna lie, not a Taylor Swift fan but that whole scene of the pizza serving, him acing the taste test and singing in the car somehow worked with the song playing in the background was my favourite scene by far
You mean John Mulaney? He was playing Michelle’s boyfriend Stevie.

LARulz

You mean John Mulaney? He was playing Michelle’s boyfriend Stevie.
No, next to her on the other side. It was just some random woman who wasn't shown before or after. She was next to Michelle and Uncle Lee